One Bear’s advice to Cutler: Forget the NFC Championship Game

2011 NFC Championship: Green Bay Packers v Chicago Bears Getty Images

The image of Jay Cutler struggling through the first half — and standing on the sideline through the second half — of the NFC Championship Game isn’t an easy one to forget. But one Bears teammate says Cutler has to forget it.

Bears running back Matt Forte says that from what he’s seen of Cutler during the Bears’ player-organized workouts this offseason, Cutler seems to be focused on next season, and not dwelling on how last season ended.

What he has to do is forget what happened, and I think he already has,” Forte said on ESPN 1000. “Just seeing him out when we were running routes, he’s 100 percent throwing the ball just like he’s always done, taking drops and looks very good. So he has to forget about what happened, and continue to play at that high level he was at winning all those games last year. I think he’s going to come out and do that.”

The Bears haven’t discussed their workouts publicly as much as players on some teams have, but Forte said they’ve been regularly working together, with Cutler as the leader.

“We had a lot of contact,” Forte said. “The weather is crazy up here, but once it finally got good enough to where we can go and safely run routes and catch the ball, we got together multiple times every week. Everybody from the skill positions was there catching balls and running routes. So I think it was a really good thing that he got everyone together.”

For all the criticism Cutler took from all corners after the NFC Championship, all indications are that the Bears’ locker room stands firmly behind him.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “One Bear’s advice to Cutler: Forget the NFC Championship Game”
  1. rayvens says: Jul 8, 2011 8:11 AM

It’s a shame that the Bears won’t get this guy a “real” receiver. His number 1 receiver is a Special Teams Captain.

2. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 8, 2011 8:24 AM

@ rayvens:

Braylon Edwards or Randy Moss…

3. hedleykow says: Jul 8, 2011 8:30 AM

Cutler forgot about that game one time, but then he remembered again. Maybe if more people would tell him to forget it about it, he would quit remembering it.

4. jtam963 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:44 AM

I agree, he has done very well with his top receivers all being around 6 foot or under. He needs a quality big guy. Hoping it is Braylon, because I don’t think Plaxico is coming. Randy is too old, and disappeared last year.

Bear Down

5. Exiled1 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:45 AM

People will remember that game for Cutler’s ineptitude ,but as a Packer fan who’s buddies are all Bears fans,I found it much more amusing that the threw in Todd Collins to replace him.

I still chuckle when I think of my friends faces when they saw him go on the field.

6. rayvens says: Jul 8, 2011 8:53 AM

Braylon Edwards or Randy Moss…

————————————-
    Braylon.

7. sneckel23 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:54 AM

He can try to forget it, but histroy never will.

8. jtam963 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:56 AM

I think I threw up a little in my mouth seeing Collins go in. Thanks god that dude is GONE!!

I’d rather have Forte run wildcat all day then watch him throw.

9. packattack1967 says: Jul 8, 2011 9:00 AM

We wont let him. :-D

10. banditxx says: Jul 8, 2011 9:02 AM

Yeah Blame Cutler for the offensive line being the worst in Football.

The Oline broke Cutlers leg by not giving him time to throw the ball!!!!

11. innerlign says: Jul 8, 2011 9:03 AM

I hate the Bears, but really like Forte. He is wise beyond his years in the NFL.

12. ac0117 says: Jul 8, 2011 9:11 AM

Not a bears fan or a Cutler fan in particular, but it’s good to see his team still has his back. Really messed up the way people called him out for not playing through an injury that no one knew the severity of (cough MJD who himself was injured).

13. scoops1 says: Jul 8, 2011 9:16 AM

…its jsut too bad that everytime Cutler or any member of that bears team sees the Packers SB ring, they will be reminded of it

14. gregjennings85 says: Jul 8, 2011 9:44 AM

Man, remember the NFC Championship?

That…was awesome.

15. sowcrates says: Jul 8, 2011 9:45 AM

As a Bears fan, I can’t fret the Packers’ superbowl win.

Chicago had 2 chances to bring them down, and in those 2 chances they played terrific defensive football (10 points allowed in week 17 was Green Bay’s 3rd lowest point total of their 21 game season, 21 points in the NFCCG, 7 by B.J Raji, was the 7th lowest).

Their offense did not excel, scoring 3 TDs in those 2 games. But the Bears had 2 drives in the first quarter and a half of the NFCCG that stalled literally at the 30 yard line in conditions where a 47 yarder from Gould evidently wasn’t a viable option.

Far from Cutler’s best, far from his worst. Both Rodgers and Cutler threw 3 interceptions in these 2 games, Rodgers managed 1 TD where Cutler did not. Quarterbacks did not decide the 3-game series between the Bears and Packers this season, and they were 3 very excellent and entertaining games.

16. orangeflh says: Jul 8, 2011 9:46 AM

The first time he comes off the field with that spoiled, insolent, childish look on his face, the speculation and comparisons to that game will begin.

I give it until 8 minutes into the first quarter, week 1.

That might take until week 3 or 4.

The Chicago media will be all over him before the season even starts. They all know Cutler’s a bust and that it’s only a matter of time until he wants out.

17. sowcrates says: Jul 8, 2011 9:47 AM

As for WRs… I don’t know what it would cost to bring in Braylon Edwards…but if its cheaper to sign Mike Sims Walker and a moderately talented free agent OG….I’d rather take that route than bring in Edwards.

18. bigbeefyd says: Jul 8, 2011 9:53 AM

I can’t stand Cutler (Bronco fan here), but all of the knuckle heads saying, or implying, that he’s a wimp are just flat out wrong. Remember, he started a whole season with un-diagnosed diabetes – any of you gents think you could do that? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

19. CKL says: Jul 8, 2011 10:03 AM

ac0117 says:
    Jul 8, 2011 9:11 AM
    ___________________________________
    I couldn’t agree more. I dislike Cutler immensely but I don’t think for a minute that he wasn’t really injured. Those players who twitter criticized him (twiticized??) probably made his teammates rally behind him even more. The joke’s on the twiticizers. And the most important thing is that his teammates all back him.

20. comeonnowguys says: Jul 8, 2011 10:23 AM

I give it until 8 minutes into the first quarter, week 1.

You’re absolutely right.

I’ve heard from people at the game how he was often talking about the game with Hanie when he was on the sidelines.

And yet… we never saw it on TV. We saw Cutler with his natural pouty, you-really-want-to-punch-me face. Television sports broadcasts nowadays are in love with trying to create a narrative (FOX’s baseball coverage is lousy with this) than just showing us the damn game.

21. philtration says: Jul 8, 2011 10:36 AM

Cutler is not the only one that needs to move on.

22. gmack818 says: Jul 8, 2011 10:42 AM

he can forget this years too……GO LIONS!!!….Suh/Fairley gonna crack his clavicle

23. seeschool says: Jul 8, 2011 10:42 AM

“The first time he comes OUT of a game with that spoiled, insolent, childish look on his face, the doubt will resurface among his teammates and the drunken, slobbering, incoherent Bears fans will be all over him .

That might take until week 3 or 4.”

I think you’re a little bit confused. He was in the same draft class…but this is not a Vince Young thread, it’s a Jay Cutler thread.

Jay Cutler has never come out of games unless the team medical staff removed him from games. I can think of three times in his career when this has happend. Once as a Bronco when Shaun Rogers nearly destroyed his leg, and twice as a Bear for both a concussion and a torn MCL.

Stop spreading stupidity.

24. sakatak says: Jul 8, 2011 10:44 AM

@sowcrates

good post on the three Bear/Packer games. You can thank Uhrlacher for his hussle at the end of the first game, causing James Jones to fumble, without that play the Packers more than likely would have won all three.

25. gmack818 says: Jul 8, 2011 11:03 AM

CALVIN JOHNSON SCORED THAT TOUCHDOWN….DARK HORSE THIS YEAR

PACKERS 10-6
    LIONS 10-6
    BEARS 8-8
    VIKINGS 6-10

YOU GOTTA REMEMBER IF THE LIONS DONT PLAY TO WIN THE GAME AGAINST THE BUCS (WHO NEED TO WIN TO MAKE PLAYOFFS) GREEN BAY NEVER WINS THE SUPER BOWL..WERE MAKING WAVES…GO LIONS

26. comeonnowguys says: Jul 8, 2011 11:06 AM

BTW, I’m not saying that this group of WR’s will set the world on fire, but this was measured to be the worst line in the league last year.

Give a QB time and a lot of other blemishes won’t look as bad.

27. gmack818 says: Jul 8, 2011 11:14 AM

@COMEONNOWGUYS

the bears wont have time to throw vs detroit this year….payback for stafford…

28. smoothjimmyapollo says: Jul 8, 2011 11:17 AM

“One Bear’s advice to Cutler: Forget the NFC Championship Game”

Let’s see, they start out against Atlanta, @ New Orleans, vs. Green Bay, vs. Carolina, @ Detroit, vs. Minnesota, and @ Tampa. So they’ll be 2-5 before their bye? Yeah, Cutler can forget about the NFC Championship.

(goes back to read article)

Oh, he meant last year. Oh well, my point is the same. Cutler is not going back to that game anytime soon.

29. golions1 says: Jul 8, 2011 11:24 AM

Mike Martz’s system is the reason Cutler was, and will continue to get hurt. Putting the tackles on an island, with deep drops and slow developing pass plays is no way to keep your QB healthy. It is also very vulnerable to safety and corner blitzes. Martz’s offense is productive, but doomed to ultimately fail because Qb’s can’t take the pounding over the course of a season. OL also hates it, because he is putting them in a position to fail, and be scapegoated. But of course that is just my opinion, nobody knows as much about football as Mike Martz.

30. lrt79 says: Jul 8, 2011 11:28 AM

I didn’t then and I still don’t understand how Cutler got all the flak for leaving the game because of injury. He should have gotten all the flak for playing one of the worst first quarters in NFC Championship game history. The second quarter is forgivable, as he injured his knee on the first play of the second quarter and still played the whole thing. But that first quarter he was terrible.

As to big WR, I’m kinda hoping the Cowboys cut Roy Williams as soon as the labor deal is made. I don’t really like Williams, but he’s a big receiver who has played two years in the Mike Martz offense and coincidentally, they were the best two years of his career.

31. comeonnowguys says: Jul 8, 2011 11:31 AM

@gmack818

“@COMEONNOWGUYS

the bears wont have time to throw vs detroit this year….payback for stafford…”

I really do get the enthusiasm and they should do well, but… “payback?”

Neither injury he sustained against the Bears was the result of a dirty play. Just awkward. It would be like Bears fans blaming the Packers for Urlacher’s arm injury in 2009.

Sometimes players just get injured. Anyway, time to look forward, not back, imo.

32. gmack818 says: Jul 8, 2011 11:37 AM

i do agree it wasnt dirty….i really just want the win, not an injury…..just foolish bravado….play along….but hate the bears and packers……for obvious reasons

33. gallopingghost says: Jul 8, 2011 11:43 AM

Sidney Rice is the answer. He’s the only hard working disciplined possession receiver we could get. Our other receivers aren’t as bad as most people say but all #2’s unless they’ve made serious strides working out without coaches.

Hester could be great in the slot if the scheme was right. For now he is the only guy DBs focus on now and often lined up outside where you’re just daring Cutler to take stupid chances for a receiver at that height. Still, he’s made himself open in that position fairly well so I think the arrow is still pointed up, but Cutler and him don’t have great timing on the breakaway. It just won’t happen without single coverage and a serious threat running the opposite route.

Knox is your speed guy with sure hands, very underrated at that. Really we’re just a stud possession guy (like Boldin who we should’ve shot for last year) away from a competetive receiver set.

Whats more, if the O line could protect the blind side and maybe create a running lane or two it will take a lot of pressure off the passing game. But Carimi will never be ready to start at LT now, meaning it will probably go left to right Webb, Williams, Kreutz, Garza, Carimi. Not too different from last year. it would help if Mike Tice could work with them.

34. necrondi says: Jul 8, 2011 11:50 AM

@COMEONNOWGUYS

the bears wont have time to throw vs detroit this year….payback for stafford…

Are you kidding me guy???? When you turds bust that elusive .500 mark then try talking $hit. If I were you I would want to make sure Fairley isn’t a fat piece of $hit like everybody else thought he was.

35. comeonnowguys says: Jul 8, 2011 12:00 PM

@gmack818

Fair enough. Let me try: Calvin Johnson wears bad suits and Stafford’s face makes Jay Cutler’s look like Tom Brady’s.

Nevermind, I’m bad at this. Withdrawn.

36. mooneybooster says: Jul 8, 2011 12:01 PM

To be honest, I’m just happy we’re having an actual football related argument on this site.

37. jtam963 says: Jul 8, 2011 1:16 PM

Yeah, Suh is a beast, fairley hasn’t played a game yet. So only time will tell.

Still money on Stafford getting knocked out by week 4. Good talent on team, but Detroit never finishes.

38. smoothjimmyapollo says: Jul 8, 2011 1:53 PM

“And Lions fans… Barry Sanders is not walking thru that door… You’re going 5-11, deal with it.”

If you look at Detroit’s roster, they should be a 9-7 team if all of the key pieces stay healthy. In the next year or two, they should be able to challenge for the division title or at least a wild card. However, what would have me worried is that the media seems to be jumping on their bandwagon like they used to do for Arizona for like the five seasons before their 9-7 squad made the Super Bowl or like how San Francisco was supposed to be good last year and we know how that turned out.

Like SF, Detroit has a lot of guys that either are good or should be good, but it doesn’t always come together as planned. If they weren’t in the same division as the Packers, I would think about even rooting for them to do decent. Now I have to be concerned that what used to be two “gimme” games per year could be slipping away. Thankfully, the Vikings appear set to take their place.

39. richm2256 says: Jul 8, 2011 2:36 PM

The guy SUCKED, when it counted most……

You want Bears fans to forget THAT, too?

40. mdnittlion says: Jul 8, 2011 2:53 PM

I’m not a Lions fan at all, but if the Suh/Fairley line is half as bad as it looks on paper than he’s screwed. Ya I’d forget about last season, but if he never wins a Super Bowl he’ll never live it down.

41. gallopingghost says: Jul 8, 2011 4:36 PM

huge Bears fan here, but not the narrowminded type of fan that usually posts to these sights.

Lions are for real and fans shouldn’t take them lightly. I know the coaches and players won’t.

Say what you want about Megatron’s no catch, the point is we were lucky to win the game. Lions also played us very well in the 2nd game, particularly on their defensive line. Calvin Johnson really is the best receiver IMHO, and they’ve had one of the best drafts for the 2nd year in a row.

I hate when people throw out records as if they have a crystal ball, because anyone who knows football knows how much a team changes throughout the curse of a season and how many games go the exact opposite of how they “should”… but the Bears and Lions will both be in the hunt come December, with the Packers being the obvious team to beat. But the lions get to play the cardinals & redskins vs our Seahawks & Eagles (or Rams Giants for the Pack).

Should be interesting. All you punks counting out other teams during the lockout obviously don’t know squat about the competition that you’ll soon be enjoying. Go black and blue.

42. packerfan12 says: Jul 9, 2011 4:01 PM

@gallopingghost

I agree with you that the Lions are going to be for real, but I don’t know if they’re play-off good just yet. The reason I say this is because I don’t think they’ll take the division, and I think the saints and a team like the Giants or Cowboys will win the wildcard spots.

Also, in my opinion I thought the Lions draft wasn’t as great as many seemed to think it was. Although I thought Fairley was a steal, I thought both picks of Titus Young and Mikell Leshoure were overrated. I don’t think Titus Young is going to be that great speed receiver that they think he will be, and Leshoure couldn’t find a hole in the line if he had a map….

Everyone is talking about how if Stafford stays healthy how good they’re going to be, but the fact is they didn’t address any key needs such as O-line, and CB, teams are gonna attack them through the air, and blitz Stafford, and I have a feeling he’s either going to end up like Jay Cutler getting hit all the time, or on the bench because of another injury