Trial delayed for Jets draft pick Kenrick Ellis

K. Ellis AP

The Jets drafted third round Hampton nose tackle Kenrick Ellis in large part because he fits their defense, and in small part because they were confident he could put his legal troubles behind him.

Ellis faces trial on a felony charge for malicious wounding. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that trial has been moved to November 28, after Ellis changed lawyers.

The defense asked for a continuance and could potentially ask for another one so that the trial doesn’t take place during his rookie season.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Trial delayed for Jets draft pick Kenrick Ellis”
  1. thephantomstranger says: Jul 8, 2011 3:52 PM

Stay classy, Jets.

2. iownyou2 says: Jul 8, 2011 4:12 PM

thephantomstranger says: Jul 8, 2011 3:52 PM

Stay classy, Jets.

—————————————————–
    So I’m guessing you know the story behind it right?? No I didn’t think so, so let me inform you. Some guy got in his face at school about some chick, didn’t know who he was trying to mess with and got his teeth fed to him. And my guess is he was somebody like you bc that guy then filed charges for getting his a** whooped.

3. dexterismyhero says: Jul 8, 2011 4:28 PM

Malicious Wounding? Was it a QB or just some poor schmuck. Dude looks large!!!

4. dbellina says: Jul 8, 2011 4:35 PM

Is he related to Sedrick Ellis?

5. heisthejuan says: Jul 8, 2011 5:13 PM

iownyou2 says: Jul 8, 2011 4:12 PM

thephantomstranger says: Jul 8, 2011 3:52 PM

Stay classy, Jets.

—————————————————–
    =========================

So I’m guessing the DA thought Ellis took it criminally far. This guy, a loose locker room, and NYC sounds like a match made in hell. I got five he’s out of the league in three years.

6. thephantomstranger says: Jul 8, 2011 5:26 PM

iownyou2 says:
    Jul 8, 2011 4:12 PM
    thephantomstranger says: Jul 8, 2011 3:52 PM

Stay classy, Jets.

—————————————————–
    _________________

I would venture to say that I know a lot more about the Jets than you know about me, given that my movements are cloaked in mystery. So are you saying that it’s okay to beat someone up to the point that you can be charged with a felony and prosecution wants to take it to trial if somebody “gets in your face”? If that’s your definition of “class,” then you fit right in with your favorite team.

7. aggressivexpansion says: Jul 8, 2011 6:02 PM

This is what happened according to previous articles at the time of the draft:

Ellis was confronted by a man wielding a baseball bat in a threatening manner. Ellis responded by breaking the man’s nose and jaw.

lawsuit ensues…

8. wtf__seriously says: Jul 8, 2011 6:05 PM

A football player charged with a crime?? Oh the horror! What will that do to the NFL???

9. iownyou2 says: Jul 8, 2011 6:13 PM

I would venture to say that you don’t unless you spend each day in direct contact with the organization. And also I’m saying that if some fool steps up to you then yes you can remove him from in front of you. Can’t help if the kid takes a big fall.

10. thephantomstranger says: Jul 8, 2011 6:34 PM

So I need to spend each day in contact with the organization in order to know as much about the Jets as you know about me? Quick, what’s my favorite color?

11. revischrist24 says: Jul 8, 2011 6:53 PM

A guy broke another guy’s nose and jaw when the other dude had a baseball bat? He can play on my team any day.

12. famousp22 says: Jul 8, 2011 7:17 PM

I just hope he hits that HARD on SUNDAY’s for the J-E-T-S!

13. melikefootball says: Jul 8, 2011 7:50 PM

One thing this lock out has done is bring the best out of many of these so called professionals. Money does not make the man.

14. Soulman45 says: Jul 8, 2011 8:14 PM

It management this is what the coach all ways talking about, these are the type of players they won’t jail birds cooks, outlaws alley cat fighters people who can’t live with the law.

He will be in jail in 5 years. What a waist.

15. dbellina says: Jul 8, 2011 9:02 PM

@Soulman45

I think a bigger “waste,” is any money that has ever been spent on your edu-ma-cation.

16. Soulman45 says: Jul 8, 2011 9:31 PM

@dbellina
    What your point tell me something I don’t know.

17. monropoobah says: Jul 16, 2011 10:41 AM

Soulman45 says:
    Jul 8, 2011 8:14 PM

He will be in jail in 5 years. What a waist.

———————————————

what?

18. monropoobah says: Jul 16, 2011 11:20 AM

it sucks that you’re cherry picking my comments here. i was having fun up until now.

19. drewcilla says: Aug 16, 2011 5:28 AM