Cam Newton keeping things simple during lockout

AP

By all accounts, No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton has kept his priorities in order since getting drafted.  He’s been living in Bradenton, Florida at the IMG Academies working on his game and not doing much else.

The director of the facility also notes Newton is doing it mostly by himself.

“We’ve been with him for four months. The only people that have been around him are his family. They mean a lot to him,” Trevor Moawad told the Charlotte Observer.

Newton has been living there with his father and two brothers.  There hasn’t been any entourage to speak of.   To hear Newton tell it, there isn’t really any way to get off course in a sleepy community.

“You’re down here and it’s like 485 acres of just straight work, basically,” Newton said. “You’ve got three football fields you can pick from. You’ve got every opportunity to be successful. . . . You don’t have any media out here to critique everything you do: ‘Look, Cam’s going to get lunch. Look, he ate a Honey Bun today.”

He has the most talent and a game that’s hard to prepare for.  He’s also seems to be taking the right approach this offseason.

41 responses to “Cam Newton keeping things simple during lockout

1. For all the smack people talked about Cam pre-draft it sounds like he’s doing all the right things. I’m rooting for you Cam.

2. This is what I want to hear. I’m a fan of dedicated work and the people who put it in. It doesn’t appear to be for show as he’s already the number one pick. Stopping the hate and waiting to see how this plays out.

3. Cam knows the “Kiss” concept. Keep it simple……………………………………..Stupid.

It is something he hears constantly from his parents, his teachers, his coaches, fans. Also his driving instructor the last few times he took the test, the clerk at the supermarket when he tries to figure out change, pedestrians on the street when he is confounded by the stoplights, kids in the park when he sits on an ice cream cone……..

4. oops, my bad, so sorry to the Carolina organization and Cameron Newton. My previous post was meant for Pacman’s latest antics.

5. I hope he can have a similar effect on his team that Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman have had in similar years.

6. Not many things to do at the IMG COMPOUND. He used to go over to visit Dr. Galea at The Lab, before he was deported, but the new guys they brought in from Eastern Europe to replace him don’t speak English very well.

7. hobartbaker says: Jul 10, 2011 5:08 PM

Cam knows the “Kiss” concept. Keep it simple……………………………………..Stupid.

—————————————————
    LAME!! And a waste of a post!

8. I am one of the people that said you did not have it in you to work hard I hope i am wrong.
    I still hope I am wrong make me to be a lie it OK.

Good Luck

9. Everyone was fighting over who got the top bunk and making loud farting noises, when this one kid, Newton, tells us he brought his family to summer camp.

10. trbowman – us white folks lost the monopoly on racism long ago, so if you are going to accuse someone of racism you will have to be more specific.

Cam Newton – Good Luck kid.

11. Cam didn’t have the greatest image in college but I have to admit the more I hear about him during this lockout the more I like him. Hope the guy does well this year despite the lockout.

Maybe Newton and Tebow can be the anti-hater twins this year. Could be fun.

12. “We have our doubts that any rookie quarterback in this class can be truly successful this year, but Newton easily has the best chance.

He has the most talent….”

I love this place. Everyday you give me something to laugh about.

13. Smart move by Cam and his family (if they truly have his best interests and not just their hands out). Too many of these young players want to be surrounded by a posse or an entourage with fringe people who can’t help themselves and will get him in trouble.

Good luck.

14. My question is whether there are any Carolina Panthers that have been working out with him, and if so, which ones?

15. First three words that come to mind watching Bubble Boy’s career unfold are “Michael, Freaking, Jackson”. His family have their own wing down at the Icon Manufacturing Group complex. Newton Neverland.

16. Anyone else think hobartbaker has a desperate mancrush on Newton? You know, if you ask him nicely, he might send you a glossy of him, hobart.

17. @ Cam Newton – “You don’t have any media out here to critique everything you do: ‘Look, Cam’s going to get lunch. Look, he ate a Honey Bun today.”

Funny. This is so funny because this is exactly how the media is. It is sad when you think about it how the media does this, though. For reasons like this I hope to never be famous. Rich or wealthy, maybe, but not famous.

18. catman72 says:Jul 10, 2011 5:22 PM

I’m convinced 99.9% of the hating directed @ Cam is driven by racism.
    ——————
    Don’t believe it’s racism…Sadly, Cam is receiving the wrath of silly college team rivalry between Alabama and Auburn and a sports media that enjoys way to much yellow journalism.

I said it many times, if Cam went to Alabama, his father would have never been treated the way he was by the media. Especially since all of the accusation against Cecil came from three people and two of them never even met him and the only one who had any real connection with him already had a reputation of being a man who pressured both parents and kids to do what he wanted.

I’m rooting for this kid and the Panthers to succeed even thou they are not my favorite team.

19. Complelty random but I ran in to Cam in ATL 3 weeks ago and he was actually a pretty nice guy. I was suprised. From the way the media portrays him you’ve been lead to believe he is a dick. For what its worth I was on the scam newton bandwagon.

20. catman72 says:
    Jul 10, 2011 5:22 PM
    I’m convinced 99.9% of the hating directed @ Cam is driven by racism.

——————————-

Can you please show your math?? By my calculations I had 89.7% but Im sure I forgot to round up or something…but I’m confident a responsible and astute comment like that can only come from outstanding math!

21. Cam Newton has no more or less of a chance to be successful than Jason Campbell. Campbell and Newton came from the same school, had a similar record, similar stats, both were first round picks, and had the same work ethic. Campbell had more than one good year and wasn’t kicked out of school though.

22. trbowman says: Jul 10, 2011 5:34 PM

Same noise you hear with every rookie quarterback. People were praising JaMarcus his rookie year, too.

—–

Who was because I missed that?

Could you point me to those quotes from his teammates or anybody for that matter because I truly don’t recall them. It was just 4 years ago, so I’m sure you should be able to easily dig that up if you’re not just talking out of your back side.

23. kindbass says: Jul 11, 2011 2:00 AM

If Cam Newton can play up to his potential, the NFL will be a better league for it.

—–

This is the bottom line. As my screen name shows, I just love football, and seeing another good QB only makes the league better. If he can be good, that division will only be more dynamite with Ryan, Freeman, and Brees winding down his career, all fighting over a couple of playoff spots.

All of you guys with the tinted vision because of race or other ridiculous notions you have, take that nonsense somewhere else.

What losers are sitting around hoping QBs or any players for that matter succeed or fail based on validating some silly race crap? There’s barely 10 good QBs in a 32 team league, and you’re rootting against one of them succeeding (unless you’re an NFC South foe fan)?

24. @realfootballfan
    The football world all mostly said he was a great QB in the making I am one of them.
    I seen him in collage he was great big with a big arm mobile how could he miss drugs, food, women. lazy no work program he ended up a fail human being and football player.

25. @realfootballfan
    kindbass says: Jul 11, 2011 2:00 AM

—–

>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    That is a great post hats off to you.

26. Soulman45 says: Jul 11, 2011 4:47 PM

@realfootballfan

——-

If you’re talking about Russell, there were so many reports (still can be found unlike those reports praising him as potentially great) questioning his dedication and work ethic.

Of all the recent number one overall picks, I can’t recall one that was less anticipated than that guy because I barely ever heard anything about him in the ’07 off-season, until he held out of camp before his rookie year, probably because everyone expected what was coming, contrary to this hind sight proclamation that everyone was raving over him.

Even so, wouldn’t the league be much better if he had not been an indifferent buffoon? Love them or hate them, the league is always better when the Raiders are good, no one can deny that (except rival AFC West fans).

With him flaming out, they still have no franchise QB, and they wasted a pick and tons of money in the process.

My point is, who’d sit around rooting for him to fail when there are so few good QBs to begin with which makes games difficult to watch when you’re constantly subjected to these scrubs around the league.

27. @realfootballfan
    I was pulling for Russell but he didn’t have what it take to be a real football player. He was missing something just came up short.