Cam Newton keeping things simple during lockout

Cam Newton, Randall Cobb, Sean Martin AP

By all accounts, No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton has kept his priorities in order since getting drafted.  He’s been living in Bradenton, Florida at the IMG Academies working on his game and not doing much else.

The director of the facility also notes Newton is doing it mostly by himself.

“We’ve been with him for four months. The only people that have been around him are his family. They mean a lot to him,” Trevor Moawad told the Charlotte Observer.

Newton has been living there with his father and two brothers.  There hasn’t been any entourage to speak of.   To hear Newton tell it, there isn’t really any way to get off course in a sleepy community.

“You’re down here and it’s like 485 acres of just straight work, basically,” Newton said. “You’ve got three football fields you can pick from. You’ve got every opportunity to be successful. . . . You don’t have any media out here to critique everything you do: ‘Look, Cam’s going to get lunch. Look, he ate a Honey Bun today.”

He has the most talent and a game that’s hard to prepare for.  He’s also seems to be taking the right approach this offseason.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Cam Newton keeping things simple during lockout”
  1. frankenderek says: Jul 10, 2011 4:52 PM

For all the smack people talked about Cam pre-draft it sounds like he’s doing all the right things. I’m rooting for you Cam.

2. dc1to1 says: Jul 10, 2011 5:02 PM

This is what I want to hear. I’m a fan of dedicated work and the people who put it in. It doesn’t appear to be for show as he’s already the number one pick. Stopping the hate and waiting to see how this plays out.

3. hobartbaker says: Jul 10, 2011 5:08 PM

Cam knows the “Kiss” concept. Keep it simple……………………………………..Stupid.

It is something he hears constantly from his parents, his teachers, his coaches, fans. Also his driving instructor the last few times he took the test, the clerk at the supermarket when he tries to figure out change, pedestrians on the street when he is confounded by the stoplights, kids in the park when he sits on an ice cream cone……..

4. fthrvic says: Jul 10, 2011 5:09 PM

oops, my bad, so sorry to the Carolina organization and Cameron Newton. My previous post was meant for Pacman’s latest antics.

5. drgfri says: Jul 10, 2011 5:10 PM

Maybe he should stick to Dr. Seuss.

6. eyeamlegend says: Jul 10, 2011 5:21 PM

I hope he can have a similar effect on his team that Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman have had in similar years.

7. catman72 says: Jul 10, 2011 5:22 PM

I’m convinced 99.9% of the hating directed @ Cam is driven by racism.

8. hobartbaker says: Jul 10, 2011 5:30 PM

Not many things to do at the IMG COMPOUND. He used to go over to visit Dr. Galea at The Lab, before he was deported, but the new guys they brought in from Eastern Europe to replace him don’t speak English very well.

9. trbowman says: Jul 10, 2011 5:34 PM

Same noise you hear with every rookie quarterback. People were praising JaMarcus his rookie year, too.

10. famousp22 says: Jul 10, 2011 5:37 PM

hobartbaker says: Jul 10, 2011 5:08 PM

Cam knows the “Kiss” concept. Keep it simple……………………………………..Stupid.

—————————————————
    LAME!! And a waste of a post!

11. Soulman45 says: Jul 10, 2011 5:51 PM

I am one of the people that said you did not have it in you to work hard I hope i am wrong.
    I still hope I am wrong make me to be a lie it OK.

Good Luck

12. vexey says: Jul 10, 2011 5:55 PM

Cam is making it really hard for me to hate him :(

13. trbowman says: Jul 10, 2011 6:07 PM

“I’m convinced 99.9% of the hating directed @ Cam is driven by racism”

I’m convinced you’re……………

nevermind

14. hobartbaker says: Jul 10, 2011 6:45 PM

Everyone was fighting over who got the top bunk and making loud farting noises, when this one kid, Newton, tells us he brought his family to summer camp.

15. Lou Pickney says: Jul 10, 2011 7:05 PM

Cam Newton was in Las Vegas two weekends ago with his brother, Cecil Newton, Jr. They were spotted at the Cosmo near a craps table.

16. 1historian says: Jul 10, 2011 7:10 PM

trbowman – us white folks lost the monopoly on racism long ago, so if you are going to accuse someone of racism you will have to be more specific.

Cam Newton – Good Luck kid.

17. msclemons67 says: Jul 10, 2011 7:20 PM

Cam didn’t have the greatest image in college but I have to admit the more I hear about him during this lockout the more I like him. Hope the guy does well this year despite the lockout.

Maybe Newton and Tebow can be the anti-hater twins this year. Could be fun.

18. ktcmoving says: Jul 10, 2011 7:23 PM

“We have our doubts that any rookie quarterback in this class can be truly successful this year, but Newton easily has the best chance.

He has the most talent….”

I love this place. Everyday you give me something to laugh about.

19. granadafan says: Jul 10, 2011 7:29 PM

Smart move by Cam and his family (if they truly have his best interests and not just their hands out). Too many of these young players want to be surrounded by a posse or an entourage with fringe people who can’t help themselves and will get him in trouble.

Good luck.

20. TheDPR says: Jul 10, 2011 7:34 PM

My question is whether there are any Carolina Panthers that have been working out with him, and if so, which ones?

21. hobartbaker says: Jul 10, 2011 8:28 PM

First three words that come to mind watching Bubble Boy’s career unfold are “Michael, Freaking, Jackson”. His family have their own wing down at the Icon Manufacturing Group complex. Newton Neverland.

22. volsunghawk says: Jul 10, 2011 9:14 PM

Anyone else think hobartbaker has a desperate mancrush on Newton? You know, if you ask him nicely, he might send you a glossy of him, hobart.

23. godofwine330 says: Jul 10, 2011 9:52 PM

@ Cam Newton – “You don’t have any media out here to critique everything you do: ‘Look, Cam’s going to get lunch. Look, he ate a Honey Bun today.”

Funny. This is so funny because this is exactly how the media is. It is sad when you think about it how the media does this, though. For reasons like this I hope to never be famous. Rich or wealthy, maybe, but not famous.

24. MichaelEdits says: Jul 10, 2011 10:14 PM

He just won me over with the Honey Bun line. C’mon Cam, lead my Panthers back to the promised land.

25. redskinsrt says: Jul 10, 2011 10:34 PM

Good for him, hopefully once he gets into the professional limelight he continues upon the same path.

26. whatswiththehate says: Jul 10, 2011 10:54 PM

catman72 says:Jul 10, 2011 5:22 PM

I’m convinced 99.9% of the hating directed @ Cam is driven by racism.
    ——————
    Don’t believe it’s racism…Sadly, Cam is receiving the wrath of silly college team rivalry between Alabama and Auburn and a sports media that enjoys way to much yellow journalism.

I said it many times, if Cam went to Alabama, his father would have never been treated the way he was by the media. Especially since all of the accusation against Cecil came from three people and two of them never even met him and the only one who had any real connection with him already had a reputation of being a man who pressured both parents and kids to do what he wanted.

I’m rooting for this kid and the Panthers to succeed even thou they are not my favorite team.

27. stonedwhitetrash says: Jul 10, 2011 11:14 PM

It should not be hard for a simple minded man to “keep it simple”

28. skinem says: Jul 10, 2011 11:33 PM

Complelty random but I ran in to Cam in ATL 3 weeks ago and he was actually a pretty nice guy. I was suprised. From the way the media portrays him you’ve been lead to believe he is a dick. For what its worth I was on the scam newton bandwagon.

29. rugdog100 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:15 AM

All he knows is simple!

30. southridge23 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:15 AM

catman72 says:
    Jul 10, 2011 5:22 PM
    I’m convinced 99.9% of the hating directed @ Cam is driven by racism.

——————————-

Can you please show your math?? By my calculations I had 89.7% but Im sure I forgot to round up or something…but I’m confident a responsible and astute comment like that can only come from outstanding math!

31. goawayeverybody says: Jul 11, 2011 1:28 AM

I like Cam Newton. I still want him to fail this year cuz I’m a Saints fan. But I like him.

32. kindbass says: Jul 11, 2011 2:00 AM

If Cam Newton can play up to his potential, the NFL will be a better league for it.

33. jcg23 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:11 AM

Cam’s song is, “Sorry” , “What I gotta do to make you love me?”

34. cesquire says: Jul 11, 2011 4:23 AM

Cam Newton has no more or less of a chance to be successful than Jason Campbell. Campbell and Newton came from the same school, had a similar record, similar stats, both were first round picks, and had the same work ethic. Campbell had more than one good year and wasn’t kicked out of school though.

35. drgfri says: Jul 11, 2011 5:19 AM

I am convinced that 99.9% of quoted statistics are inaccurate

36. realfootballfan says: Jul 11, 2011 3:57 PM

trbowman says: Jul 10, 2011 5:34 PM

—–

Who was because I missed that?

Could you point me to those quotes from his teammates or anybody for that matter because I truly don’t recall them. It was just 4 years ago, so I’m sure you should be able to easily dig that up if you’re not just talking out of your back side.

37. realfootballfan says: Jul 11, 2011 4:10 PM

kindbass says: Jul 11, 2011 2:00 AM

—–

This is the bottom line. As my screen name shows, I just love football, and seeing another good QB only makes the league better. If he can be good, that division will only be more dynamite with Ryan, Freeman, and Brees winding down his career, all fighting over a couple of playoff spots.

All of you guys with the tinted vision because of race or other ridiculous notions you have, take that nonsense somewhere else.

What losers are sitting around hoping QBs or any players for that matter succeed or fail based on validating some silly race crap? There’s barely 10 good QBs in a 32 team league, and you’re rootting against one of them succeeding (unless you’re an NFC South foe fan)?

38. Soulman45 says: Jul 11, 2011 4:47 PM

@realfootballfan
    The football world all mostly said he was a great QB in the making I am one of them.
    I seen him in collage he was great big with a big arm mobile how could he miss drugs, food, women. lazy no work program he ended up a fail human being and football player.

39. Soulman45 says: Jul 11, 2011 4:52 PM

@realfootballfan
    kindbass says: Jul 11, 2011 2:00 AM

—–

>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    That is a great post hats off to you.

40. realfootballfan says: Jul 11, 2011 9:26 PM

Soulman45 says: Jul 11, 2011 4:47 PM

@realfootballfan

——-

If you’re talking about Russell, there were so many reports (still can be found unlike those reports praising him as potentially great) questioning his dedication and work ethic.

Of all the recent number one overall picks, I can’t recall one that was less anticipated than that guy because I barely ever heard anything about him in the ’07 off-season, until he held out of camp before his rookie year, probably because everyone expected what was coming, contrary to this hind sight proclamation that everyone was raving over him.

Even so, wouldn’t the league be much better if he had not been an indifferent buffoon? Love them or hate them, the league is always better when the Raiders are good, no one can deny that (except rival AFC West fans).

With him flaming out, they still have no franchise QB, and they wasted a pick and tons of money in the process.

My point is, who’d sit around rooting for him to fail when there are so few good QBs to begin with which makes games difficult to watch when you’re constantly subjected to these scrubs around the league.

41. Soulman45 says: Jul 12, 2011 12:49 AM

@realfootballfan
    I was pulling for Russell but he didn’t have what it take to be a real football player. He was missing something just came up short.