DeSean Jackson: Plaxico and I “would be a dangerous combination”

Wild Card Playoffs - Green Bay Packers v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Add Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson to the list of people who think Philadelphia should be the landing place for Plaxico Burress.

“Plaxico Burress just came out to California, me and him just spent some time together and catching up,” Jackson told Stephen A. Smith on ESPN Radio in New York, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I think he would love to come play for the Eagles, come play with me and Vick. He already kind of had a connection with [Michael] Vick, with him being in prison and him kind of talking to him before. So it might be a connection, I’d love it. But regardless, I wish the best for him, and if he was to come to Philadelphia I think it would be a dangerous combination.”

Jackson said that he views Burress as being in a similar situation to the one Vick was in before the Eagles signed him, and in Jackson’s view, things couldn’t have gone any better with Vick.

“It was a dream come true,” Jackson said of playing with Vick. “I’ve always had so much respect for him. And for him going through what he’s been through and still be able to get a second opportunity and making the best out of it, first of all I’ll say for the Eagles to believe in him after all the other teams just doubted him and said he couldn’t do it, and for myself to actually watch and witness the every day hard work, the things he was doing in the community, for myself it was really like a dream come true.”

And now Jackson thinks playing with Burress could be another dream come true.

Note: Smith didn’t ask Jackson about the anti-gay slur he used in another recent radio interview. Smith’s interview with Jackson took place on Friday, after Jackson used the slur but before it was widely publicized.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
69 Responses to “DeSean Jackson: Plaxico and I “would be a dangerous combination””
  1. Eddie says: Jul 11, 2011 1:33 PM

“would be a dangerous combination”

At a nightclub together, yeah.

2. polishkingski says: Jul 11, 2011 1:37 PM

i really wish this guy would stop talking….

3. gregjennings85 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:37 PM

Meanwhile, Jeremy Maclin was quietly Philadelphia’s most consistent WR in 201o, with 70 catches, 46 yards short of 1,000 and 10 TDs.

Jackson had 47 / 1,056 / 6 TDs*.

* – But he did help the Packers get into the tournament last year, and we promptly thanked him by sending the Eagles ‘packing’.

4. wetdentist says: Jul 11, 2011 1:39 PM

yo djacc, did you forget that Jeremy Maclin even exists?

5. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Jul 11, 2011 1:40 PM

I wonder if these comments are going to bother Jeremy Maclin at all. Anyone that’s seen the Eagles play knows that he’s their best receiver and him and D-Jax are a much better combo than Jackson and Burress. If Jackson meant that Burress would take Riley Cooper’s #4 WR spot, I can see how that would make sense but Burress and Cooper are the same type of player, except Cooper hasn’t been behind bars for the last two years.

6. Knightlines says: Jul 11, 2011 1:42 PM

Ummmmm, did he forget the best WR on his team …statisticly? MACLIN, HELLO!

7. We'reFineThere says: Jul 11, 2011 1:47 PM

I pose a question to the haters, what has DeSean Jackson ever done wrong?

8. turk2875 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:50 PM

All of you haters can hate all you guys want to but the fact is: he’s a Top 10 reciever in the league right now, THE most explosive player in the league right now, hasn’t been arrested like other idiots in the league for ANYTHING, and if he was on your team you would love him. Him, Ocho, T.O., just like to have some fun playing the game. The same people who hate his “antics” are the same people who call the league the No Fun League. You guys are clueless….

9. clk320cpe says: Jul 11, 2011 1:55 PM

Jackson forgets he has Macklin on the other side I guess.

Word of the day for DeSean – DUCT TAPE

10. nfl25 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:55 PM

I like djax but I always worry he is gonna say something stupid. He deserves to get paid. But please don’t talk in the media too much. he didn’t say anything wrong here but he easily could have. Maclin is eagles most consistent receiver. I would take Plax if it was on the cheap. He aint playing special teams and I like avant as our 3rd guy. So I don’t see Plax’s place unless eagles are trading someone

11. hanktheking says: Jul 11, 2011 1:57 PM

I bet Jeremy Maclin doesn’t feel the sane way

12. burgandyandgold says: Jul 11, 2011 2:00 PM

DeSean is a punk. He is the only player in the NFL that I wish injury upon. He will be broken on the field, it is only a matter of time. His nasty comments to other players, his disrespect for the game and his hijinks on the field are just unbearable. He will end up being a problem for the Eagles because, as a diva, he will not be able to help himself. To the extent that you are able to Eagle fans, just think for a second (I know, it is hard) how much you would hate MeSean if he was on another squad and you will have your answer.

13. smokehouse56 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:03 PM

To the haters out there. The Eagles have Jackson and your team doesn’t. That’s your problem.

14. ICDogg says: Jul 11, 2011 2:05 PM

If Plax comes to the Eagles, the most obvious situation for him is to replace DJax in red zone situations, where DJax is least effective. DJax would then have less work, so he probably would return all of the punts instead of just some of them.

15. pwall1 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:08 PM

As an Eagles fan, I’m starting to like Maclin more and more. He was a first rounder, but he’s quiet and does things the right way. Plus he’s worlds more consistent than his counterpart, but also has similar skills. When it’s all said and done, D-Jax might be the more electric player, but Maclin will end up being the better receiver.

16. db3300 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:23 PM

turk2875, would it hurt to mix in a period every now and then so that you don’t sound like a typical NFL player?

17. savocabol1 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:27 PM

Any receiver in the league: Plaxico and I ” would be a dangerous combination.”

18. netherscourge says: Jul 11, 2011 2:28 PM

Burress and Maclin would be a better combination to be honest.

19. daburgher says: Jul 11, 2011 2:31 PM

desean jackson is like a 5’2″ 100 lb. T.O.

20. vbe2 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:32 PM

===============================

How is what he said “anti-gay”?

Was what he said in any way saying that gay people shouldn’t exist?

We don’t want your editorial crap. Just tell us facts.

21. turk2875 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:33 PM

db3300

thats all you could come up with after reading what I wrote.

What I don’t understand is where you guys are getting calling him a punk. Cause he flips into the endzone… then don’t let him get into the endzone. Yea he talks trash, I guess, but he backs it up and since when did trash talking get you labeled as a punk. If thats the case than 90% of the players are punks. But I guess once you get labeled a “diva” its impossible to have people think otherwise…

22. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 11, 2011 2:35 PM

I’ll say it yet again: as a Giants fan, nothing would make me happier than to see Plax on the Eagles or any NFC East rival’s roster. He’s constantly late for meetings, has always been a headcase in the locker room, and is the first receiver to throw his hands up in the air in frustration if/when he doesn’t get the ball.

The Vick experiment worked – this one won’t. I really don’t see much of a problem with the Eagles WR corps as it is, frankly…

23. oldbyrd says: Jul 11, 2011 2:40 PM

I ll make all of us happy. Get rid of that Air Force kid and get Plax. I cannot for the life of me figure why he is on the team.

24. gcsuk says: Jul 11, 2011 2:42 PM

Hey turk2875, I’m a hater, and thanks, I’ll hate DJax all I want. There is no denying the guy is ridiculously talented, but the guy is also a pompous loudmouth ass. And for the record, I am GLAD he isn’t on the team I root for. I couldn’t stand the thought of rooting for DBag to win.

There are just certain guys that you CAN’T root for…TO, Haynesworth, Finnegan… and DJax is right up there.

25. birdobeamen says: Jul 11, 2011 3:00 PM

More like MACLIN and Burress would be a dangerous combination — you, Desean, would be a great compliment to that combination.

26. stevo8drum says: Jul 11, 2011 3:13 PM

honestly- there is enough to go round for all of them. Birds could run 4 or 5 wide and be fine.

im more concerned with getting the D right but ill take him. Lord knows its hard to keep the wr’s on the field.

In the red zone we could put plax and jmak out wide, avant and brent out of slot and Djax as the Rb if needed. Seriously, iit would be sick.

Key is….. get a CB, DE and add a vet at SS for depth.

27. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 11, 2011 3:15 PM

DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Plaxico Burress, Jason Avant and Riley Cooper. Sounds like the best WR group in the NFL.

28. stevo8drum says: Jul 11, 2011 3:19 PM

for those that dont like Djax… lets point out some things.

1) Does not spend his time in jail like many.
    2) Has done great work against bullying.
    3) Has been a good teammate and has never thrown a teammate under the bus.
    4) Is a bit of a showman but isnt that what this game is about? im not talking crazy jerky stuff. an Ozzie type flip from time to time.

Lets be real- you dont like him because he made your team look bad with the punt return.

29. schmitty2 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:21 PM

9 Calvin Johnson DET WR 77 1,120
    10 Santana Moss WAS WR 93 1,115
    11 Steve Johnson BUF WR 82 1,073
    12 DeSean Jackson PHI WR 47 1,056

not yet but nice try!

30. hanifmiller says: Jul 11, 2011 3:26 PM

I’m hearing a lot of hate and (while Jackson is not the most likeable guy) what part of what he said was inaccurate? I dont think anyone has disputed or even addressed the actual comments made by DeSean. I just don’t see the error with these specific comments (besides not including Maclin in the discussion).

31. jebdamone says: Jul 11, 2011 3:29 PM

another young player that i just cannot stand. look at yourself djax, you’re not even the best receiver on your team and you are talking about how good you, plax and vick will be?
    yeah the guy makes some spectacular plays and has some unbelievable talent in some areas, but i think maclin is a better receiver than he is and his numbers back it up. djax is a home run hitter but is too small and too big of a sissy to take a hit. if desean would play the slot then yes, this would be awesome having maclin and plax on the outside but we all know he won’t be doing that.

32. gcsuk says: Jul 11, 2011 3:32 PM

Sorry turk, but maybe the whole diva/hotdog mentality is what I can’t stand. I’m more old school, and really respected the way a Bary Sanders played the game. Act like you been there before, and respect (but don’t fear) your opponent.

Djax, to me, just represents the whole new crappy attitude of a lot of the younger players. I bet that Barry Sanders never ONCE stuck his tongue out at his opponent, like Jax did to the Redskins. That’s something a 4 year old would do.

33. bass1717 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:44 PM

This punk isn’t even the best WR on his own team…..he is more explosive than Maclin, but not better……he also said his next contract will be “record breaking”…..uuummmk DeSean, you need to score ALOT more than 6 TD’s if you start talking about record breaking deals…..can’t wait to see this punk get laid out again this year

34. wicky888 says: Jul 11, 2011 4:00 PM

Unless Plaxico gained 200 lbs in prison and now plays offensive lineman, I dont see how he could be much help…..

35. 1bigtex says: Jul 11, 2011 4:03 PM

@turk2875

“he backs it up”
    Do you happen to recall the phrase “sting that ass”? How well did Desean “back it up”?

@gcsuk
    As to that respect for the way Barry Sanders “played the game”; I seem to remember that when Barry retired, he hadn’t fully earned his last signing bonus and the Lions had to sue him for the return of the money they were owed.

36. burgandyandgold says: Jul 11, 2011 4:22 PM

Stevo –

He threw McNabb under the bus plenty, and he has thrown the O Line under the bus as well.

The thing he did with bullying is the only redeeming quality to him. He may not be a criminal but he is a punk no matter how you slice it.

And, yes I would root for him if he were a Skin but I still would not like him – much like I feel about Carlos “cement hands” Rogers.

37. bcgreg says: Jul 11, 2011 4:25 PM

@ turk2875

Noticed you used more periods in your 2nd post. Thanks. I could read that one.

I have nothing bad to say about Jackson. He’s a very good player, and there’s nothing wrong with a little hot dog in a player–a little. The problem with this statement is that he disses, intentionally or not, his current teammate, Maclin, who had just as good of a year as Jackson. Who knows how Plax will be after 2 years out? He’s 34 years old and hasn’t played in 2 years. Plax might make a nice addition, but don’t forget about what you’ve got. I think Jackson and Maclin are a pretty dangerous combo already, which is what I think most comments on this thread are saying.

38. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 11, 2011 4:33 PM

Maclin > Jackson > Burress

39. gcsuk says: Jul 11, 2011 4:39 PM

@1bigtex
    I’m talking on the field. You never saw He-Man poses, spiking the ball, idiotic “First Down!” gestures, or TD dances. A simple flip of the ball to the ref, and then head in to the sideline.

What he did off the field, after the Lions wouldn’t release him, is a completely different matter. On the field, he was the consummate professional.

40. melonnhead says: Jul 11, 2011 4:39 PM

Way to diss Maclin, genius haha

41. melonnhead says: Jul 11, 2011 4:42 PM

——————————————————–

That’s not a problem at all.

signed,

The Dallas Cowboys

42. melonnhead says: Jul 11, 2011 4:45 PM

———————————————————-

Except for the fact that Vick would be in traction by week two, I agree with that.

43. ron69 says: Jul 11, 2011 5:04 PM

He has to be really inmature or very stupid for making that kind of statement i hope Maclin doesn’t take too seriuos this cause could affect team chemistry

44. zerored78 says: Jul 11, 2011 5:11 PM

stevo8drum says: Jul 11, 2011 3:13 PM

———————————————-

DeMarcus Ware approves!

45. 1bigtex says: Jul 11, 2011 5:13 PM

@gcsuk

They paid Sanders a bunch of money in the form of a bonus. Why should they have been obligated to release him just because he wanted them to?

46. pflynn20 says: Jul 11, 2011 5:14 PM

Why would these comments offend Maclin? Having Plax on the team would do nothing but help Maclin. Plax and D-jax stretching the field with Maclin lined up one on one with a SS or LB….Good luck covering him

47. jakek2 says: Jul 11, 2011 5:17 PM

why? because you hate gays and Plax has guns?

48. melonnhead says: Jul 11, 2011 5:33 PM

——————————————————

OR… maybe you play nickel or dime since everybody knows Andy’s not gonna run the ball anyway.

I doubt the comments will offend Maclin. I think he’s bigger than that, but Jackson’s “come play with me and Vick” comment is exclusionary in nature and seem to indicate Jackson’s desire to have Maclin bumped down to the “Z” position. Third WR option.

49. bobbyhoying says: Jul 11, 2011 5:36 PM

Based upon Maclin’s red zone production it would be Plax and Maclin inside the 20.

50. jjackwagon says: Jul 11, 2011 5:56 PM

If these comment had come from Maclin they would make sense. Djax would be #3 if Burress is around. I wonder how much he would like that?

51. kqole25 says: Jul 11, 2011 5:56 PM

More proof of how dumb Jackson is. That statement is great for team unity. He should have said a great trio. I would take Maclin over Plax in a heartbeat right now.

Another point is it will be hard for them to be a great duo when Kolb is traded and Vick plays 8 games after suffering injuries!

52. norcaleagles says: Jul 11, 2011 5:58 PM

Like many of you, when I first read the title of the article(which is almost always misleading), I thought Desean was forgetting about arguibly the best WR on his team, but then I actually read the article. You guys should try it sometime before blabbing on and on about how evil Desean is. In fact, all he said was ” if he was to come to Philadelphia, it would be a dangerous combination”. Thats all he said. He never said “Plaxico and I would be a dangerous combination.” But, you know, anything for a story, huh?

53. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Jul 11, 2011 6:03 PM

sounds like a love triangle..who cares about the eagles anyways wake me up when they actually win a superbowl!!

54. norcaleagles says: Jul 11, 2011 6:06 PM

And Desean just got through talking about how much Vick and Burress had in common right before he made his comment about being “a dangerous combination”. So if anything, it sounded to me like Desean was referring to the combination of Vick to Burress.

55. norcaleagles says: Jul 11, 2011 6:13 PM

SCHMITTY, first of all, you cant exclude the game-changing highlight plays that Desean brings to the game. You’re strictly looking at yards. Having Brandon Lloyd at the top of that list says it all. lol. Other than Santana Moss, I would take every other WR on that list before I would take Lloyd. So you can keep Lloyd at the top of your WR list.
    Thats a pretty lame attempt, but nice try!

56. norcaleagles says: Jul 11, 2011 6:18 PM

MELONHEAD, Desean going for 210 yards on 4 catches vs your cowboys defense isnt a problem???? Well, judging by the way your team laid down last season, I think they had the same mentality as you do. lol

57. norcaleagles says: Jul 11, 2011 6:26 PM

NINERSFAN, Well, you must care, because you took some time out of your day to log on and comment on an Eagles story. And by the way, your team wont dominate S*-T!! You cant even win the NFC West! And your team didnt even have to have a winning record to win your division, and they still couldnt do it. Lets see, they had 6 games vs the seahawks, cardinals and the rams and they were still left out of the playoffs. I think the Raiders have a better shot at the playoffs than the 49ers do.

58. stevo8drum says: Jul 11, 2011 6:46 PM

“He threw McNabb under the bus plenty, and he has thrown the O Line under the bus as well”.

when? where? thats bogus.

59. We'reFineThere says: Jul 11, 2011 6:56 PM

can’t believe that guy said DUCT TAPE

60. rayguyreturns says: Jul 11, 2011 7:31 PM

Watching the Eagles with Plax and Vick would seem like a preview of:

The Longest Yard III

61. markowitzj says: Jul 11, 2011 7:51 PM

Not really sure what all the uproar is about. You can’t argue Jackson is a marquis receiver. Top 10? Well, he was #9 in yards per game (remember he missed games due to injury), and #1 in yards per catch. That at least puts him in the conversation.

Better than Maclin? At some things. Maclin’s better than him at others. Bottom line–who cares? They’re on the same team and both dangerous receivers.

Trash talker? Sure. But for the Skins’ fan who wishes injury upon him–don’t forget it was LaRon Landry who started the fight before the MNF game by threatening to put Jackson “to sleep” after he had the concussion earlier in the year. The result? 89 yard TD by sprinting past Landry on the first play of the game (on the way to a complete embarrassment for your team). I’d say the punk is the one who trash talks, threatens to injure another player, and gets burned on national TV.

62. melonnhead says: Jul 11, 2011 8:06 PM

—————————————————–

Are you serious? The Cowboys defensive backfield couldn’t find it’s ass with both hands tied behind it’s back last year. They got torched by worse guys than Jackson! Reggie Wayne put up 200, Mike Walker put up 150+.

If 4 catches for 210 were the norm then I’d say it’s a problem but you know as well as I do that the norm for Jackson against the Cowboys is more like 3 catches for 40 yards and no TDs. Don’t try to pull one game out of the middle of several underwhelming performances and expect it to mean anything. If we’re going to play it that way then I want you to judge Felix Jones on his 207 all-purpose yards against the Eagles in the playoffs.

6 for 110, 0 TDs and a LOSS
    2 for 46, 0 TDs and a WIN
    2 for 29, 0 TDs and a LOSS
    3 for 47, 0 TDs and a LOSS
    3 for 14, 1 TD and a LOSS (PLAYOFFS)
    4 for 210, 1 TD and a WIN

That’s every game he ever played against the Cowboys.

Speaking of playoffs, his per game average is 3 catches for 53 yards and less than half a TD per game. Positively Pinkston-esque. So I say again, no problem.

63. melonnhead says: Jul 11, 2011 8:42 PM

——————————————————-

SO, if not yards… number of receptions? He caught 47 passes last year. Not enough to be in the top 70.

TD’s? He caught 6. One more than Roy Williams, by the way. What measure would you like to use? The only stat that favors him is per-catch average.

You seem to think that mentioning Brandon Lloyd is pretty funny but you should know that he caught way more passes for way more yards, produced more big plays, made over twice as many first downs, scored almost twice as many TDs and had fewer fumbles than Jackson. And he did all that with Orton and Tebow throwing the ball. But the Broncos went 4-12 so he sucks, right?

64. MichaelEdits says: Jul 11, 2011 8:46 PM

It wouldn’t be Thrash and Pinkston, that’s for sure.

65. trbowman says: Jul 11, 2011 9:19 PM

When he says “dangerous,” he’s not talking about on the field.

66. laeaglefan says: Jul 11, 2011 9:55 PM

If Jackson gets along so well with ex-cons, maybe he should try a stint in the slammer himself. Then he’d really have something in common with them.

67. dirtyharry1971 says: Jul 12, 2011 8:52 AM

the only danger these two clowns would be is to each other. Typical eagle player with a big mouth who never won squat in his life!

EAGLES=NO SB RINGS!!!

68. norcaleagles says: Jul 12, 2011 11:05 PM

MELONHEAD, OK, so now you want to dismiss Deseans performance because your team “couldnt find its ass with both hands tied behind their backs”. Ok, then I should exclude his 09 performances then, because in his rookie season, he had 2 very good games vs the cowboys. I dont care about his stats in those games because I watched them and he made big plays in those games. And the only reason he didnt have 2 big games vs the cowboys last season was because our starters didnt play in the 2nd matchup becuase we had the division locked up. And if Brandon Lloyd was so much better, then why did the players vote Desean ahead of him on the top 100 list? And like I said, you cant disregard Deseans playmaking abilities. He was the 1st player in NFL history to make the Pro-Bowl at two different positions and he also has a few rushing TDs that he’s scored on reverses. And dont tell me those scores shouldnt be considered when talking about his WR ability because we include RBs receiving yards when talking about the better RBs. And by the way, he’s one of the best punt returners in the NFL as well, but you can keep praising Brandon Lloyd and keep trying to convince yourself that he’s better than Desean just so you can feel like you’ve won the argument.

69. orakpownd says: Jul 13, 2011 12:23 PM

Do you guys actually have an empty trophy case..or is it still at the warehouse?