Ray Rice expects Hines Ward to be suspended for DUI

Ray Rice, Troy Polamalu AP

Ravens running back Ray Rice has weighed in on the weekend drunk driving arrest of Steelers receiver Hines Ward, and Rice thinks the arrest will mean Ward is suspended for the Week One Steelers-Ravens game.

“Well it looks like Hines Ward will miss week 1 when the lockout ends DUI charge not a good look,” Rice tweeted.

Whether Rice is correct or not about Ward being out for Week One remains to be seen, but ESPN.com notes that drunk driving is a matter of great personal importance to Rice: His cousin was killed by a drunk driver in 1998, and he has worked with the state of Maryland to campaign against drunk driving. So it’s easy to see why Rice felt inclined to chime in.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark, however, didn’t like it, telling Rice, “So glad you could Weigh in” and “Thought we were all better than that.”

Rice’s reply to Clark was, “you know how to find me.”

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Ray Rice expects Hines Ward to be suspended for DUI”
  1. tdk24 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:18 PM

Nice try Ray, but it probably won’t happen.

2. siggy00 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:19 PM

Did Ray Rice chime in when the Ravens signed Stallworth?

I didn’t think so.

3. dcryan82 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:22 PM

“You know how to find me.” – That’s awesome.

4. cmich2006 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:27 PM

The Ravens are already running scared and the season hasn’t started yet.

5. clayton43 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:27 PM

Sweet.. Since is a Steelers -Ravens Weeek 1 game I am all ready for the trash talking for this game that has been greatly missed so far with the lock-out going on. Not sure a person can be suspended just yet though without even knowing what exactly happened and…does the league suspend players for a 1st time DUI? My brother who is a prosecuter has always told me.. NO MATTER WHAT.. even if not over limit DO NOT EVER blow into a breathalyzer machine.

6. gottawoodley says: Jul 11, 2011 12:28 PM

Rice just wants Hines to be out week 1 so the Ravens have a chance to beat the Steelers…wait till Woodley shuts down your running game Ray. I don’t know who whines more, Ravens fans or Pens fans?

7. tommyf15 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:29 PM

1. Just being CHARGED with something should not warrant a punishment of any kind from the NFL, and this is something the NFLPA should be fighting for right now.

2. The idea that the NFL has any juristiction over the players when they’re locked out is ludicrous, and again the NFLPA should hold firm on this. The owners can’t have it both ways, all of the time.

8. joesphkerr says: Jul 11, 2011 12:30 PM

Hopefully Ray is right. Hines is lucky he did not kill someone.

9. thevillain112 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:30 PM

Kind of tired of hearing Ryan Clark chime in on things. He is just another over-rated safety playing next to Polamalu anyway (See Chris Hope)…

10. hobartbaker says: Jul 11, 2011 12:32 PM

No biggy in the Burgh. On any given week most of the Steeler roster can be listed as “Probable – (suspension/court appearance/jail time)”.

11. kevo126 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:36 PM

after reading that my first thoughts were of hines ward in a cowboy hat. that is a bad look.

12. canetic says: Jul 11, 2011 12:37 PM

Ray Rice obviously didn’t hear that Hines said he was not driving under the influence. Like every other person arrested for DUI.

13. dmretrogames says: Jul 11, 2011 12:42 PM

@thevillian – Playing next to Polamalu is not an easy job, simply because he’s allowed to freelance and the FS has to cover for him.

14. CKL says: Jul 11, 2011 12:43 PM

I don’t have a problem with Clark sticking up for a teammate but man…he’s on ESPN all the time giving his opinions about current NFL players and they are not always nice…that angle he needs to give a rest.

At this point do we know Hines had actually driven drunk? Last I knew that was really up in the air.

15. b7p19 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:44 PM

According to the picture “where to find” Rice is running over Polamalu at the goal line.

16. dickroy says: Jul 11, 2011 12:48 PM

Can a player be subject to NFL fines and suspensions when they are locked out? Even so I don’t think he has been found guilty yet has he?

17. dspyank2k11 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:57 PM

I would think Hines will get something. Hes not a trouble maker so it may not be very stiff.

As long as Goodell doesnt… dance.. around the subject :)

18. daburgher says: Jul 11, 2011 12:58 PM

not to mention Stallworth. I’ll admit steelers players have made mistakes but actually killing somebody… doesnt get any worse than that.. but that organization supports those guys

19. goawayeverybody says: Jul 11, 2011 1:07 PM

Drunk driving is extremely serious and totally irresponsible.

20. joetoronto says: Jul 11, 2011 1:07 PM

dickroy says: Jul 11, 2011 12:48 PM

**************************************************
    I keep reading this over and over. Let me ask you something, do the players still have contracts or not?

Be careful what you ask for, or you just might get it.

21. spartyfi says: Jul 11, 2011 1:09 PM

@b7p19: actually where to find Rice is sitting at home on his couch watching the Steelers play in the AFC Championship and the SuperBowl after taking care of the Ravens….I’m a fan of neither team but I’d say that’s the ultimate victory there my friend. Don’t be so bitter that your criminals aren’t as good as theirs!

22. blchaney69 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:19 PM

I think we ALL know where to find Rice……On the Couch, watching the Steelers int he Super Bowl!! LOSER!! If he was that great, He sure as heck wouldnt have been playing college Ball at Rutgers!!

23. rmm1984 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:19 PM

Ravens fans biggest bragging point is always running players over and hard hits. Wow you’re right. Keep losing in the playoffs and you can have as many of those big hits as you want.

24. chris6523 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:22 PM

Gee, if I didn’t know any better, I would think the Steelers and Ravens don’t care much for each other.

25. janno88 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:27 PM

Hey Ray, in your spare time, head on over to YouTube and search “Ryan Clark hit on Willis McGahee”. Enjoy!

26. steelerspiratesbruins says: Jul 11, 2011 1:29 PM

Personally, I’m tired of Ray Rice. The guy is always getting up yapping and in opponents’ faces after another 2 yard gain. Hey Ray, hold on to the ball next time.

27. schmitty2 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:30 PM

Ray Rice in a contract year and in all likelyhood Willis is gone so no more goaline td’s. I’m pretty sure I know who I’m drafting at Number 5 in my fantasy league this year

28. panther74 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:31 PM

As usual…the steeler fans wanna give “their guy” a pass! I’m all for supporting your team…but there has to be a point where common sense kicks in…IF i say IF— he was even REMOTELY impaired driving in your neighborhood and could’ve killed sone of YOUR neighbors and friends…would it be cool, would a pass be given then?

I’m the bifggest PANTHER fan around, and just proved it by saying it just now….I dont think anyone in the CAROLINAS were saying …ahh, its cool, give’m a pass..hell, he’s RAY CARRUTH!

29. skeeter1970 says: Jul 11, 2011 1:32 PM

Maybe Ray Rice should work on not fumbling at crucial moments of playoff games against the Steelers, instead of worrying about Hines.

The Steelers have proven time and again they are bigger, badder and BETTER than that team from Baltimore.

30. daburgher says: Jul 11, 2011 1:42 PM

makes me wonder why alcohol is even legal while marijuana is not.. alcohol is a far more dangerous drug. people who smoke pot dont kill 20000 ppl a year driving. you dont get “weed poisoning”, and it wont encourage domestic violence, unfaithfulness, and also wont cause the kind of impairment that makes a simple task of driving difficult

31. mswravens says: Jul 11, 2011 1:48 PM

Honestly, Ray (and all NFL players) should probably keep their comments about other team’s players problems to themselves! Leave the stupid trash talk to us fans – at least when it comes to legal problems.

32. dickroy says: Jul 11, 2011 1:58 PM

I am one of the biggest Steeler fans in the world and I an not for giving Ward a pass. That is if he was driving impaired!

33. packerrube13 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:03 PM

I find it funny that Raven fans forget they have two murderers on their team. And Ward, from the reports, may not even have been over the limit.

Ravens fans showing their class again. Do they remember that they are always at home when the big games are going on? People say Jet fans are annoying and always saying they are the champs, but they have been in the last two AFCCG. Where have the Ravens been? Exactly.

Ray Rice, hold onto the ball, and shut your mouth.

34. theblowtorchreview says: Jul 11, 2011 2:04 PM

Waiting for his lawyer’s “clever” defense theory before I pass judgment. Almost every person I’ve ever heard of being pulled over for DUI said they weren’t drinking…….yeah right!

But if he was over the BAC limit then he should be suspended regardless of the legal outcome. Drunk/impaired driving has no place in our society.

35. johnnycamparm says: Jul 11, 2011 2:07 PM

Rice’s reply to Clark was, “you know how to find me.”
    ———————————————————-
    Hey Ray, why don’t you ask Willis how it feels to be “found” by Ryan Clark…

36. bleedgreen says: Jul 11, 2011 2:09 PM

It shouldn’t matter if he’s found guilty or not, in my book. You still put the NFL in a bad light in the headlines whether you’re exonerated or not. The punishment isn’t for doing the deed. The punishment should be for putting yourself in the position to make the NFL look bad, whether its a Steeler, a Patriot, an Eagle… it doesn’t matter. Players getting arrested for ANYTHING makes the NFL look bad, whether anything comes of it or not, because perception is reality.

You have a hard enough time as it is explaining to the average fan that this IS NOT A STRIKE. I listen to sports radio on Sirius and at least twice a day, someone calls in to comment ‘about the strike’ and has to be corrected. If they can’t get that right, then the fact that someone was charged with DUI or disorderly conduct and then the charges were dropped is irrelevant. The fact is, in everyone’s mind, the guy was arrested and did something wrong. Thats what the punishment is for. Don’t like it? Don’t drive AT ALL after drinking. You’re a god damned millionaire. Take a cab, call a buddy, CALL THE FREE NFL DD LINE THAT WAS SET UP.

37. falconidaefromtatf says: Jul 11, 2011 2:14 PM

Even if the NFL can punish him, why would he be suspended for a first offense? What happened to going into the treatment program for a first offense and then getting suspended for later offenses?

Does Ward have a strike in the drug program already?

38. jeepin08 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:29 PM

I thought since there is no current CBA then there would be no infraction and no punishment ?
    Ward will be there in week 1. Don’t see a game suspension for first time offense. These players need to stop with the tweeter garbage.

39. raven4life21 says: Jul 11, 2011 2:50 PM

Ray Rice is one of the most respected football players in the league on and off… how dare some of you talk of him this way… if one of my family members died from a drunk driver… btw packerrube13 Ray Rice had, let’s count them… ONE… say it with me now O-N-E fumble last year and it was ONLY against the Steelers… Hines Ward is a dirty player and one of the most hated players in the league (minus all the steeler fans that seem to eat it up that he’s a disrespectful cheater) All Rice said was that he thinks he will and it’s not a good look having a DUI… COMMON FREAGIN SENSE PEOPLE! does a DUI look good to anyone else??? i didn’t think so…

40. james0599 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:04 PM

I hope Ray Rice isn’t holding his breath for a Steeler to be held accountable, I mean hell their Qb only got what 2-3 games for rape, DUI should be nothing.

41. watermelon1 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:04 PM

Can anyone please tell me something than Ryan Clark is known for other than a completely cheap shot on Willis McGahee?

Perhaps making the biggest effort to keep his name in people’s minds by appearing on any TV show, commercial, or microphone stand he can find.

If anything, I think Ray Rice’s tone was meant to be more disappointed than anything else. I don’t think either of these teams WANT the other team missing starters. They enjoy beating up on each other that much. That’s what makes this rivalry so much fun! Glad we get to start with it right off the bat, Week 1! It’ll make up for having to hear all this lockout nonsense the whole summer!

42. daburgher says: Jul 11, 2011 3:10 PM

I think I speak for most Steelers fans when I say that we are not defending hines ward’s actions, we are just upset those comments came from a Baltimore Raven. That team employs murderers. I would be fine to hear it from Andre Johnson or Asomough

43. daburgher says: Jul 11, 2011 3:12 PM

I like how ravens fans think that hard hits are cheap shots… hahahahahahahaha its football. why dont you go watch from synchronized swimming

44. tsutton84 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:23 PM

Of course, no one condones DUI charges… but Mr. Rice’s comments would be more appropriate if he had commented on:

Raven CB Jimmy Smith’s assault arrest record…, (Former) Raven CB Travis Fuller’s arrest in June…, Raven coach Andy Moeller’s DUI arrest…, Raven LB Sergio Kindle’s DUI arrest…, Raven OL Tony Fein’s arrest…, and (Former) Raven FB Lorenzo Neal’s DUI arrest – all since Ray arrived in 2008.

I’m sure he had no reservations about the team’s records before he became a Raven… you know, like DB Gerome Sapp’s assault arrest, DB Corey Fuller’s gun and gambling charges, KR B.J. Sam’s two DUI arrests, RB Jamal Lewis’ “conspiracy to possess cocaine w/ the intent to distribute” charges, CB Chris McAlister’s DUI, possession of marijuana and disturbing the peace charges, LB Terrell Suggs’ felony aggravated assault charges, LB Cornell Brown’s possession of marijuana charges, OL Leon Searcy’s domestic violence arrest, or Ray-Ray’s murder charge…

Funny how he never commented on any of those other charges… only Hines’…

I’m certain it was a coincidence.

45. tommyf15 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:40 PM

joetoronto says:

Some of them do.

What’s your point?

46. wicky888 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:46 PM

“You know where to find me”

He wont be in the endzone, thats for sure

47. halftermguv says: Jul 11, 2011 3:54 PM

Being lectured by a Baltimore Raven for off the field behavior has as much standing as being counciled by Donald Trump on bankruptcy.

48. CKL says: Jul 11, 2011 3:57 PM

I would imagine players under contract could be subject to the TEAM punishing them with a suspension that’s unpaid…that’s what should and/or could be done for things that happened during the lockout. Thanks to Keyshawn and TO there are limits to what can be done by a team, but they still have that power. Or had it when the old CBA was in place. I imagine that’s part of the terms being negotiated.

49. holeinone09 says: Jul 11, 2011 4:00 PM

@mswravens says:
    Jul 11, 2011 1:48 PM

* * * * *

As a Steeler fan, I completely agree with you. The players can talk about other players as it relates to football, but they should shut up as it relates to off the field activities. As was pointed out the Ravens players have a list of legal issues, and some of the Steelers do as well. The same players talking about other players’ off the field activities might end up having an issue later on themselves. Just everyone shut up about each other’s personal issues and trash talk about the game!

Also, NFL players should be FORBIDDEN to use twitter! How many of them make A-holes out of the themselves or make stupid comments just to have something to say on twitter?

GO STEELERS!! And WAITING for that great opener against the Ravens!

50. notwhoyouthinkitis says: Jul 11, 2011 4:21 PM

Used to be a huge Ray Rice fan. No more. Rice is clueless, needs to apologize for his ignorance and ought to be ashamed for not know the facts. Since he ought to know the rules that apply to all players. A. It is Ward’s first offense and B. it is not a violation of the league’s personal conduct policy.

“Ward probably won’t be subject to anything more than a fine and some sort of evaluation because first DUI offenses violate the NFL’s substance abuse policy but not its personal conduct policy.”

Steelers’ Ward arrested for DUI; apologizes to fans – Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_746051.html#ixzz1RpW1EfzM

51. hawkeye6 says: Jul 11, 2011 4:36 PM

Braylon Edwards of the Jets was sat for a quarter after his DUI, and nothing happened to Ronnie Brown of the Dolphins.

Also, getting charged with a DUI is different than getting convicted. There’s still a lengthy judicial process that has to occur.

Most suspensions/fines come after convictions, not charges. However, there are the cases of Ben Roethlisberger and Adam Jones.

Most likely nothing will happen anytime soon, probably not even this season unless it’s from the Steeler organization itself.

52. TurdSandwich says: Jul 11, 2011 4:51 PM

Would be nice if the league banished The Steelers and The Ravens!

53. engymass2 says: Jul 11, 2011 5:02 PM

Ward did win on “Dancing With The Stars”, and that gave the NFL a positive angle… so if he does get a DUI on his record (and he probably won’t) that win on DWTS will count for something once the NFL looks at his “total” output during the off-season/lock-out.

54. mswravens says: Jul 11, 2011 6:15 PM

@holeinone09 – AMEN!!! (…and wish I had a hole-in-one on my lifetime scorecard…)

55. corvusrex96 says: Jul 11, 2011 6:44 PM

Please end this lock-out !!!!

The steelers, ravens and every other team draw from the same pool of players, so one week it’s them the next it is us. Enough of the this team is dirty and that team is not.

When it comes to off the field issues the steelers are not any worse or any better than every other team in the NFL**

**except of course the bengals who wear orange because it will match their prison jumpsuits :-)

56. ravenator says: Jul 11, 2011 7:15 PM

And what exactly did Rice say that was so bad? That a DUI is not a good look? Considering he had a family member killed by a drunk driver, he sure could have said a whole lot worse. People defending Hines Ward seriously need to readjust their outlook on life.

57. georgeanderson2 says: Jul 11, 2011 7:42 PM

@blchaney69, I guess you’re new to watching football. Google names like Jerry Rice and Walter Payton to find out their contributions to the game of football, you might be shocked when you find out where they played college ball. Talent is talent and it can come from various places.

58. blchaney69 says: Jul 11, 2011 8:44 PM

@ GEORGEANDERSON2, yeah, Im definitely new to watching football.. LOL you just compared Ray Rice to Jerry Rice.. Sounds like you may be the one new to football.. That was just a little shot at Rutgers..I’m from Jersey, so I can do that!!!
    As for Rice, he is a talented Kid.. Unfortunately he has a Big Mouth!! And his mouth is writing Checks His butt hasnt been able to cash up to this point!!
    I am a Die hard Steelers Fan and I DONT condone Drinking and Driving if that is what hines Ward did in fact do.. However I do beleive a guy should be found guilty..Not just charged..I agree that any NFL player getting his name in the paper for negative reasons is bad for the NFL..but I dont believe the Commish can just go around throwing out punishment to guys who have only been accussed of things.. I’m a Steeler fan first and for most.. the players do come and go..I dont want any “Bad guys” on my team… however, as one person on this site pointed out, no Ravens fan should be commenting on this topic!! They have enough of their own Dirty Laundry to worry about.. that was a pretty darn long list of Ravens players that Have Been in trouble with the Law.. Several of those issues were DUI…If its a topic so Near and Dear to Mr Rice, maybe he should bash them as well !! GO RUTGERS!!!

59. steelcurtainn says: Jul 12, 2011 12:24 AM

Ryan will find you Ray

When he sticks you at midfield and you fumble the ball like you did in the divisionals.

60. joetoronto says: Jul 12, 2011 5:55 AM

tommyf15 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:40 PM

joetoronto says:

Some of them do.

What’s your point?
    ************************************************
    Fine, I’ll spell it out for you.

If YOU gave a multi-million dollar contract to an employee, would you be OK with him/her getting busted for DUI, just because your business is temporarily closed?

I know I wouldn’t but then, I’m an employer, not a union member.

61. cup1981 says: Jul 12, 2011 6:07 AM

james0599 says: Jul 11, 2011 3:04 PM

———————————————————————————–

You are a moron, that is all. He got four games for accused rape that was dismissed as a woman just trying to get paid. So, um, yeah… back to the drawing board for you.

It’s not a charge until the courts say it is. At this point he was arrested for SUSPECTED DUI. I am certain the officers took a blood test and are awaiting the results from the courts.

Failing a field sobriety test and erratic driving isn’t always due to DUI. It can be caused by exhaustion or illness as well. So, let’s just wait for the results before suspending the guy already.

Of course, given Roger’s past with the Steelers, all he needs is an accusation and he;s suspended.

62. raven4life21 says: Jul 12, 2011 10:18 AM

You NON FACT KNOWING STEELER FANS really love to hold on to that Ray Lewis being a murderer thing when you have NO IDEA what actually occurred… everybody that has done any research knows Ray had nothing to do with it… he took an out of court settlement for ONE REASON ONLY… because the prosecuting attorney said right to his face…”I don’t care if you did it or not… YOU are gonna pay for this anyway!”… hmmm… now what would most people do in that situation?… he was NEVER found guilty and if the family honestly thought he did it then they most likely would have went the distance and NOT settled out of court… but that’s ok… I’ll take Ray Lewis ANYDAY before i’d EVER take ANY STEELER on my squad… I respect many Steelers like Troy but i absolutely am disgusted by Hines Ward… all i gotta say is Karma is a real B! and all those dirty shots to try and end players careers finally caught up to him… and NO Ravens fans do NOT mistake hard hitting for cheap shots… mainly because WE HIT JUST AS HARD IF NOT HARDER… but when you purposely try and take out players knees and throw elbows from the back and go after someones legs who is on the other side of the field you are asking for it! I lost any respect I had for him at all when he rubbed it in Ed Reeds face that he lost when his brother just died saying “Ed Reed won’t ever forget this game”… but don’t worry… like i said… Karma can be a REAL B! piece of crap

63. raven4life21 says: Jul 12, 2011 10:22 AM

@blchaney69… so Ray Rice writes check he can’t cash eh? let’s see… He has been in the top 4 players in the ENTIRE LEAGUE the last few years for ALL PURPOSE YARDS… WAY MORE THAN MENDENHALL… Right along side Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson… you wanna bring up that fumble? guess what? IT WAS HIS ONLY ONE ALL YEAR! Ray Rice has done PLENTY to cash those checks… take your bias somewhere else, if you wanna bring facts than do your research… otherwise try a different approach

64. blchaney69 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:19 PM

AGAIN @ RAVEN4LIFE21, its kinda funny how you wanna talk about the Steeler fans Not knowing the facts of the Ray Lewis Murder chargers and yet I’m sure even though you werent there, you know for a fact taht Ben raped that girl….Right? Hypocrite!!