Report: League, players targeting July 21 ratification of deal

15th Asian Games Doha 2006 - Archery Getty Images

When the NFL and the NFLPA* were last negotiating on Friday, the Eighth Circuit had thrown a gorilla wrench into the process with an unexpected ruling that helps and hurts both sides, causing the talks to bog down and creating a sense of gloom and doom.

We reported last week that the owners will be meeting in Atlanta on July 21, at which time they would be gathered in one place and able to vote.  At least 24 of the 32 owners must approve the agreement before it can be effective.

Per Mort and Schefter, a document titled “The Transition Rules” sets forth the time line for the events that will unfold after July 21.

Mort and Schefter aren’t reporting a deal will be finalized.  Instead, they’re saying (and Schefter just said on ESPN2’s Mike & Mike in the Morning) that “many people believe” the deal will be completed in time to be ratified by July 21.

Under the scenario, the only game that possible would be canceled is the annual Hall of Fame game, since the Bears and Rams are due to head to training camp on July 22.  Given that it’s a glorified practice session in which starters make only a cameo appearance and that NBC pays good money for the right to televise it, look for the league to play the game even if the Bears and Rams only a week to prepare for it.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
29 Responses to “Report: League, players targeting July 21 ratification of deal”
  1. anonimocontraditorio says: Jul 11, 2011 8:37 AM

I call that some post´s ago.

they’re gonna ‘play’ with us until the limit…

2. rgwhodey says: Jul 11, 2011 8:37 AM

There goes my free wings… Thanks for nothing BW3s

3. Kaz says: Jul 11, 2011 8:38 AM

And look for one sloppy, injury plagued season of football.

4. purpleman527 says: Jul 11, 2011 8:44 AM

I’ll be completely shocked if it happens. I hope it happens, but all of these “dates” to when a deal will be completed, have never materialized.

The Finger lurks.

5. imjinbrdgr says: Jul 11, 2011 8:48 AM

This will be “The year of the hamstring”.

6. jw731 says: Jul 11, 2011 8:50 AM

I like how reporters are playing the guessing game as to when a deal will be finalized, so they can say…”as we first reported earlier”…they’ve only been doing this for months………

7. broncobeta says: Jul 11, 2011 8:54 AM

RIP 2011 Training Camp.

8. tomsd1 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:02 AM

More BS – or “wishful thinking”.

9. macgee10 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:10 AM

They waited way too long to do this. I would definitely cancel the hall of fame game. You can’t have a week to prepare for a game when you haven’t had any organized practices. Teams better be financially ready to go too. They better know what they are spending already because it’s going to be a mad scramble for free agents and undrafted rookies.

10. jutts says: Jul 11, 2011 9:13 AM

If teams are back by training camp we should be OK. But one week is a little silly, I mean, C’mon Man…. All you are asking for is a really loose scrimage. Yea, and fans are expected to pay to see it. 2 games of the pre-season should be canceled.

11. kevinfromphilly says: Jul 11, 2011 9:14 AM

OK, wake me on the 22nd.

12. savocabol1 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:14 AM

When July 21 comes can you post a report saying you and ESPN were wrong? We see this headline each week now.

13. supashug says: Jul 11, 2011 9:15 AM

cant wait for the excuses for the sloppy play too.
    not going to games this year

14. annnann says: Jul 11, 2011 9:18 AM

If it’s true then great news. But I won’t hold my breath, the dates keep changing, first it was July 15th and last week was very important but, as usual, nothing was done. We’re also hearing July 19th and now July 21th. This, along with the progress-no progress news is making it hard for me to believe anything.

15. billybats says: Jul 11, 2011 9:20 AM

“And so it’s surprising, to say the least, to see ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter reporting that the parties are now targeting July 21 for the ratification of a new labor deal by the owners.”

It’s only surprising to the writer of the post, because he’s been peddling a narrative that the Eighth Circuit’s ruling purportedly caused “the talks to bog down and creating a sense of gloom and doom.”

Somehow, I missed the corresponding gloom and doom post from the same author when Judge Nelson released her ruling, a ruling that the appellate court found completely ignored federal law. If I recall, the author then was saying that “Judge Nelson has spoken”, and exhorting the league to immediately comply or face being in contempt of court.

What a pro-player propaganda site this is.

16. mathsimillion says: Jul 11, 2011 9:23 AM

I’ll believe it when I see it.

17. thephantomstranger says: Jul 11, 2011 9:23 AM

I guess I’ll cancel my annual trip to Mankato for Vikings training camp. The deal needed to be done by the 18th for it to survive. Sorry, kids.

18. breeshasabush says: Jul 11, 2011 9:33 AM

Its to the point to where I dont care anymore. Not on the players sides, not on the owners sides… i dont care about it anymore. They have literally ruined whats supposed to be a GAME and made it into everything else in the world; all about them being filthy rich and about the rest of us having to suffer. Why should we respect any of them anymore? At this point I’d rather watch the XFL (if it still existed), the CFL, the UFL. And DO NOT pay college players with actual money because then…. its all over!

19. phillyisinvading says: Jul 11, 2011 9:39 AM

July 21st is my birthday. I think Roger knows this and it just trying to get me a cool present for my bday.

20. irisht53 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:40 AM

I believe this is the first time we’ve heard that the sides agree on a date to have a deal done by, so that is some progress. That was one thing that I beleive made negotiating difficult in that there was never a consesus deadline between the two sides. Granted, this doesn’t sound like a hard and fast deadline, but at least it’s a date both sides agree on.

21. chillyphins says: Jul 11, 2011 9:42 AM

If there is a silver lining, it’s that thephantomstranger’s kids don’t have to watch the Vikings practice!

22. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 11, 2011 9:48 AM

At this point, I think I might be more excited to see just how chaotic free agency is going to be than for the actual season to begin.

23. gregjennings85 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:51 AM

Here’s another scenario:

1.) Cancel all golfing this week for all involved parties.

2.) Get the deal done ASAP.

24. xli2006 says: Jul 11, 2011 10:00 AM

THE ONION – NFL Fans have targeted July 20th for the Talks to completely break down and both sides to start from scratch on a new deal (developing…)

25. schmitty2 says: Jul 11, 2011 10:03 AM

At this rate their will be hardly any training camp at all or as it will be called.. The “Brett Favre training camp”

26. Southpaw says: Jul 11, 2011 10:06 AM

I feel like we already went through this whole deal with the July 4th weekend…??

27. Dynasty says: Jul 11, 2011 10:07 AM

Get ready for the Return of Favre!

28. rambo08 says: Jul 11, 2011 10:29 AM

I shudder to think of what would happen if they can’t get 24 owners to vote yes.

29. thephantomstranger says: Jul 11, 2011 10:43 AM

chillyphins says:
    Jul 11, 2011 9:42 AM
    ____________

Shows what you know. My kids always take off to do the obstacle course, football throw, etc. while I sit alone with my warm beer in the bleachers in 95 degree heat thinking “looks like T-Jack has it all put together this year.” Maybe it won’t be so bad to miss it just this once.