Vrabel retires, heads to Ohio State

mike-vrabel-kansas-city-chiefs AP

As expected (and as first suggested last week by John Taylor of CFT), long-time NFL linebacker Mike Vrabel has retired from playing football — and he has simultaneously commenced his football coaching career.

Vrabel announced his dual moves in a statement released by his agent, Neil Cornrich.

“After 14 years in the National Football League, I have decided to retire and accept the position of Linebackers Coach at The Ohio State University,” Vrabel said.

“I am extremely appreciative of the teammates, coaches, and great fans who surrounded me during my NFL career, and am honored to have been a part of three tremendous organizations in the Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, and Kansas City Chiefs.  I am especially grateful to Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli, who not only gave me the opportunity to play for a team that won three Super Bowl championships and an NFL record 21 games in a row, but also taught me invaluable lessons on creating the ultimate team approach.

“I am very excited to become a part of Luke Fickell’s staff at Ohio State. I have great faith and trust in Luke leading the Buckeye football team as he represents all the core values integral for a program’s success, and I am looking forward to working with our student-athletes as I begin the next phase of my career.”

A 14-year veteran, Vrabel played four season with the Steelers, eight with the Patriots, and two with the Chiefs.  He caught 10 touchdown passes, all from two yards in or less, while playing tight end in goal-line offensive situations.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Vrabel retires, heads to Ohio State”
  1. ac0117 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:09 AM

Good hire

2. realitypolice says: Jul 11, 2011 9:29 AM

I just hope he makes a good enough impression this year that Urban Meyer retains him when he takes over for Fickell next season.

3. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 11, 2011 9:30 AM

I didn’t know THE (how annoying is that by the way?) Ohio State had any core values.

4. bradymancrush10 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:35 AM

wish him the best. he was a beast with the Patriots.

5. jw731 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:48 AM

Will he teach the student-athletes how to steal beers from a casino without getting the program in any more hot water from the NCAA?…Oh wait, it was a misunderstanding…….

6. collegeref says: Jul 11, 2011 9:48 AM

I’m with you reality. Kind of a risky move to join the staff of an interior head coach.

7. laxer37 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:49 AM

Vrabel will get started right away teaching the finer points of video taping opponent’s practices.

8. krow101 says: Jul 11, 2011 9:52 AM

Bring the video cam.

9. killxswitch says: Jul 11, 2011 9:59 AM

I hated him when the Colts played the Pats but he was a very good player and a lot less obnoxious than Bruschi. Good luck Vrabel.

10. guypatsfan says: Jul 11, 2011 10:02 AM

Good luck, Mike. We loved you here in New England. See you in Canton.

11. CKL says: Jul 11, 2011 10:06 AM

Laxer-Pats were never found to have taped anyone’s PRACTICES. I love smack talk about cameragate that’s even more weak than normal because it’s false. It says much more about the talker than the subject they are talking about. Try that over on a Rams forum. It’s their OC who had a practice taped with EVIDENCE. :)

I wonder if Vrabel will want to “retire as a Patriot”? I mean heck since Ty Law still wants to I would be more surprised if Vrabel didn’t want to.

12. homelanddefense says: Jul 11, 2011 10:17 AM

the inevitable spygate comments on every Patriots post are really getting lame

13. jnbnet says: Jul 11, 2011 10:19 AM

================================

Its great. Half of these guys don’t even read the story…they just build off other hater comments and soon the whole story is skewed. I actually feel bad for them as they can not appreciate excelence by any players who are not part or their pathetic team.

14. omegaichiban says: Jul 11, 2011 10:48 AM

Hall Of Fame…I’m thinking yes

15. realitypolice says: Jul 11, 2011 12:14 PM

I love all of the thumbs down on my comment.

I guess I’m going to get those no matter what I post.

Seems pretty obvious to me- Fickell is an interim coach, Urban Meyer is an Ohio native who coached at OSU and at Bowling Green and is certainly going to coach again.

If you have a factual issue with my position, how about you post a response instead of using the Troll Button?

16. dave1961 says: Jul 11, 2011 12:18 PM

I thinking beer cooler security just went up in Columbus.

17. sportsdrenched says: Jul 11, 2011 12:18 PM

=========================
    That’s why it’s a good hire. It’s like a fat man at the gym. If you’re fat, a gym is where you need to be.

18. canetic says: Jul 11, 2011 12:39 PM

Maybe Ohio St. will actually produce a linebacker that is not completely overrated

19. 1historian says: Jul 11, 2011 2:47 PM

Vrabes – once you get over catching most of those TD passes from a Michigan QB you’ll be fine!

Good luck and thanks for the memories.