Michael Irvin: When a gay player comes out, I’ll support him

michael-irvin.p1 Getty Images

Pro Football Hall of Famer Michael Irvin has given a fascinating interview to Cyd Zeigler of Out magazine, offering wide-ranging thoughts about how the football world would react to a gay player coming out.

“If anyone comes out in those top four major sports, I will absolutely support him,” Irvin said. “That’s why I do my radio show every day. When these issues come out, I want to have a voice to speak about them. I think growth comes when we share. Until we do that, we’re going to be stuck in the Dark Ages about a lot of things. When a guy steps up and says, ‘This is who I am,’ I guarantee you I’ll give him 100% support.”

Irvin says the Dallas Cowboys of the 1990s would have been accepting of a gay player in the locker room.

“I believe, if a teammate had said he was gay, we would have integrated him and kept moving because of the closeness,” Irvin said. “We had a bunch of different characters on that team. Deoin [Sanders] and Emmitt [Smith]. I believe that team would have handled it well.”

Some football players, including former Giants receiver David Tyree, have used their religious convictions to argue for discrimination against gays. Irvin, however, says it’s his own religious convictions that make him support equality.

“The last thing I want is to go to God and have him ask, ‘What did you do?’ And I talk about winning Super Bowls and national titles,” Irvin says. “I didn’t do anything to make it a better world before I left? That would be scary.”

Irvin says he’s proud to support civil rights for everyone.

“I don’t see how any African-American with any inkling of history can say that you don’t have the right to live your life how you want to live your life,” Irvin said. “No one should be telling you who you should love, no one should be telling you who you should be spending the rest of your life with. When we start talking about equality and everybody being treated equally, I don’t want to know an African-American who will say everybody doesn’t deserve equality.”

Permalink 112 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
112 Responses to “Michael Irvin: When a gay player comes out, I’ll support him”
  1. scoops1 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:49 PM

Irvin would support a Coke Fiend too

2. airraid77 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:49 PM

and goodell will promptly make it a rule that every gay player has to touch the ball(s).

3. schmitty2 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:49 PM

not surprising considering they supported a certain Hall of Fame WR that did drugs

4. ianwhetstone says: Jul 12, 2011 1:50 PM

Wow… well said, Mr. Irvin. (And that’s not a comment I’m accustomed to making.)

5. nyctexan says: Jul 12, 2011 1:50 PM

“The Playmaker” 4life.

6. kingjoe1 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:53 PM

Ok course you should. Why would anyone not support someone being gay? Thats just stupid.

7. savocabol1 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:54 PM

The only way a gay guy in sports is fully accepted is if he has some Tom Brady abilities. Otherwise, one hit wonders like David Tyree and the likes will always make em feel isolated and ridiculed.

8. abninf says: Jul 12, 2011 1:55 PM

When a David Tyree speaks out, I’ll support him.

9. pixelito says: Jul 12, 2011 1:55 PM

Smartest thing he ever said.

10. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 12, 2011 1:56 PM

Wow… Good for him.

11. geeeeemen says: Jul 12, 2011 1:58 PM

I never really liked Michael Irvin, and he’s said some dumb stuff on tv and radio before, but he is surprisingly coherent and logical with these statements. Good for Irvin.

12. shieldsisland37 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:58 PM

here we go………..

13. orbearider66 says: Jul 12, 2011 1:58 PM

Somehow I don’t think Charles Haley would have been as welcoming.

14. wtfchiefs says: Jul 12, 2011 2:08 PM

“I believe that team would have handled it well.”

>>>Really Mike… Would they? Didn’t Mr. Tolerant here stab a teammate in the neck over a haircut?

15. xsorethumbx says: Jul 12, 2011 2:09 PM

Reggie White preferred the Dark Ages

16. danimalk82 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:14 PM

The Gay Community: “Great… We have Michael Irvin on our side…. :/”

17. zoxitic says: Jul 12, 2011 2:15 PM

Well said Michael. It’s time for America to grow up a little and accept people for who they are. More logic, less religion.

18. endzonezombie says: Jul 12, 2011 2:21 PM

Irving’s hypocritical past provides no basis for the public to believe what he says to promote his own image/radio show. He should prove his support for gays through actions, and then explain his rationale through an interview.

19. CKL says: Jul 12, 2011 2:22 PM

orbearider66 says:
    Jul 12, 2011 1:58 PM
    Somehow I don’t think Charles Haley would have been as welcoming.
    __________________________________
    I’m not sure he’s the best example. I’d hope he would be understanding of how people can be different considering one of his favorite pastimes was alleged to be taking “little Charles” out for air and “tending to him” in the lockerroom in front of his teammates.

20. bolt4life says: Jul 12, 2011 2:22 PM

Oh you are so enlightened zoxitic

21. cletusvandam says: Jul 12, 2011 2:24 PM

This might be the most intellegent thing I’ve ever heard Michael Irvin utter. Good for him!

22. indianheadmeatpackingcompany says: Jul 12, 2011 2:26 PM

@ zoxitic, you know, there are a lot of people that against gay people that are not religious and a lot of religious people that are not against gay people. The opposite is also true. I am not relgious by any means, but I find it lame, pathetic, and lazy to always blame religion for all the problems in the world. It cause some, true, it also helps some. Am I the only person that thinks the focus should be on fixing the problem and not on pointing fingers? Same thing with racism. Focus on fixing it and STOP giving so much power to the people against equality. Pointing fingers does nothing but stir things up, force people on one side or the other and then forces them to fight with each other over who is right and who is wrong. It needs to be approached in a mature fashion. Gay, straight, white, black, purple and pink, there is no difference.

23. trbowman says: Jul 12, 2011 2:28 PM

Seriously, why does everyone have to have an opinion on everything? I couldn’t care less.

Thumbs up if you couldn’t care less either way.

24. jakek2 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:29 PM

——————–
    Of course they would. The real revelation is whether they would have been accepting of straight players in that lockerroom.

Come on webmasters…this is funny for all the Dallas haters. harmless

25. ubummer says: Jul 12, 2011 2:30 PM

cough*Aikman*cough

26. tougie1 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:31 PM

I for one will sleep a lot better tonight knowing that Michael Irvin ‘has the back’ of the first gay player to come out!

Who cares? someone’s bedroom business is their own business. Don’t ask, don’t tell!

27. rc33 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:33 PM

Where’s the benefit for anyone NOT supporting the first “out” athlete? I mean, you could do it…take a stand against this guy, for moral and/or religious beliefs…and soon find out the repercussions of your “freedom of speech.”
    You’ll certainly be turned into a pariah by the hyper-sensitive, PC types, who will most assuredly be gunning for you at that juncture. With all the money these guys could stand to lose, where’s the benefit? Just bite your tongue and keep the good times rolling.

By support, all Irvin’s saying is he’ll (judiciously) zip his lip.

28. bearsnoah says: Jul 12, 2011 2:36 PM

Good for you Mike! Your stock has risen in my book.

29. hatesycophants says: Jul 12, 2011 2:38 PM

I am not surprised. They seemed to accept Troy very well.

Sorry, humor.

30. eaglesfan135 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:38 PM

Thats true everyone loved Troy Aikman

31. melonnhead says: Jul 12, 2011 2:42 PM

————————————————————

Depends on who you want to believe. Anybody that was there and the judge that investigated the incident in an attempt to revoke Irvin’s probation, or some knucklehead fans and media types that insist otherwise.

32. theravishingrachelnichols says: Jul 12, 2011 2:46 PM

@indianheadmeatpackingcompany says:
    Gay, straight, white, black, purple and pink, there is no difference.

————————————————–

Hold on, there has to be a line, to hell with purple people! Unless they’re choking, then help them.

33. lucky5934 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:46 PM

Maybe it is just me, but this seems a tad random…

34. cleanface says: Jul 12, 2011 2:46 PM

Your move, Braylon.

35. thedudesnotin says: Jul 12, 2011 2:47 PM

Somethings seriously messed up in the USA when the main course on everyones plate is to deal with somebodys sexual issues, instead of fixing the matter of your financial issues, because they are real, and not some ferry tale.

36. riverhorsey says: Jul 12, 2011 2:48 PM

37. stinkfingers says: Jul 12, 2011 2:50 PM

DeSean Jackson disagrees.

38. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jul 12, 2011 2:50 PM

“Some football players, including former Giants receiver David Tyree, have used their religious convictions to argue for discrimination against gays. ”

Might fit the definition of Libel.

39. moochzilla says: Jul 12, 2011 2:53 PM

“if a gay football player did come out and he was on your team what would you do?”

If he was a special teams gunner or punter, few would support him openly.

If he rushed for 1300 yards and 15 TD’s, everyone would be buying their kids his jersey.

It’s sports, the only place in America where merit counts.

40. bowski72 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:54 PM

The bible clearly states that a man sleeping with another man is dispicable in the eyes of the lord. How can 80% of the country claim to be christians, but only 50% or so think its wrong to be gay? With that said, why can’t I read sports news anymore without having to hear about who dude’s choose to have sex with?

41. jjared1101 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:55 PM

Irvin’s late brother, who passed away from stomach cancer recently, was openly gay, which is another reason as to why Irvin has strong feelings on this matter. He goes on to talk about that in more detail if you care to read the entire interview.

42. minnesconsin says: Jul 12, 2011 2:55 PM

ianwhetstone says:
    Jul 12, 2011 1:50 PM
    Wow… well said, Mr. Irvin. (And that’s not a comment I’m accustomed to making.)
    ——————-

second that. guess i’ll have to re-think my hatred for michael irvin after all.

i bet david tyree is the first to come out.

43. godofwine330 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:56 PM

If a football player, an ACTIVE football player came out he would be out-kast. I believe that Michael Irvin would support, but there are a lot of people who would:

A) Want to support, but go with the crowd of people who are angered by it. It takes a strong person to stand on your own against a majority, and most folks aren’t strong people.

B) Make that person’s life miserable. Putting things in their lockers, damaging vehicles, etc.. Cowards.

I wouldn’t care if I was a football player. His life doesn’t affect me. He is attracted to other gay people and he wouldn’t be any more interested in me than a lesbian would be interested in a man.

I respect Irvin’s stance on this. Irvin is good people. He has had trouble in his life, but he has for the most part been a good person since overcoming his troubles. He still may on occasion stay some stupid things he shouldn’t, but don’t we all?

44. radrhatr says: Jul 12, 2011 2:56 PM

sure he would, now that he doesn’t need to worry about buying “soap on a rope”.
    If big Nate Newton came up next to him in the shower checking out his booty, with a woody, he wouldn’t have said that then.

(I’m just joking, people)

45. 4512dawg4512 says: Jul 12, 2011 2:57 PM

Ever heard of a guy named Jeff Garcia? “If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it’s a rat”!

46. radrhatr says: Jul 12, 2011 2:57 PM

Jared Allen is part of the new “Purple Peter Eaters”.

47. endzonezombie says: Jul 12, 2011 3:05 PM

On one hand, this site has been overwhelmingly in support of the owners – indicating a conservative bent. It’s hard for me to believe that all these conservatives are now so supportive of gays in their comments. Then again, when has this site not been inconsistent.

48. mackie66 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:05 PM

As a Christian, I find it absolutly wrong to use religion or any other media to discriminate against Hommosexuals. I cant quite rap my mind around the word, Gay, yet. No one asked me if they could use that word.
    Check out the New Testament where Jesus states very clearly, “Judge not least you be judged”, and “Any person without sin may cast the first stone”. Kinda raps it up, does it not? Lets all be more mindfull of what Jesus wants, not some old story from the Old Testament.

49. 4512dawg4512 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:06 PM

What if Ray Lewis came out of the closet? Suddenly I’d be VERY afraid of gay people

50. kcflake says: Jul 12, 2011 3:07 PM

mike will do anything to get his name out there now. is he still doing coke or what? why canplayers just move on with their lives when their playing days r done?

51. jimmylions says: Jul 12, 2011 3:09 PM

Way to go Michael! I no longer think you’re just talk and hot air. This is a great thing to say.

The NFL has gay players right now, and odds are there was more than one gay player on the Jimmy Johnson era Cowboys. Mathmatical odds would be against any team in the NFL being 100% straight.

And for people who say this is a non-issue, as long as I keep reading news stories about gay teens committing suicide, acceptance is an issue.

I remember seeing an interview with one of the older Green Bay players (Fuzzy Thurston?) stating that Lombardi was adament that everyone on his team be treated with equality. He said Lombardi specifically stated that included the gays as well as the blacks. The fact that Lombardi refused to allow Southern cities to segregate his players was a big deal – a major step forward for the NFL.

Seeing all the nasty comments directed at Irvin, just for saying he’d support someone for admitting they were gay, says that this is a discussion that needs to continue.

52. buckybadger says: Jul 12, 2011 3:11 PM

Jokes are suppose to be the ones who are slow to this sort of progressive thinking [which it isn't really progressive, more like common sense if you ask me]. Shows that society is actually just as slow if not slower than the athletically gifted.

53. fngs1 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:14 PM

Didn’t the Vikings have some guy come out after he retired, and say he was gay? No this is not a cheap shot against the Vike’s.

54. halen316 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:21 PM

This article is gay.

55. changsteinelgamal says: Jul 12, 2011 3:23 PM

=======

Continue to not give a sh– about something that’s none of my business?

56. joetoronto says: Jul 12, 2011 3:28 PM

The “play maker” plays with balls?

57. danimalk82 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:29 PM

I want to know as much about a player’s sexual preference as I do his opinion on tax-cuts.

58. myspaceyourface says: Jul 12, 2011 3:29 PM

Irvin we all support you in your efforts to come out of the closet. Just do it already.

59. peester15 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:29 PM

I called it..with this lockout still going, to get “hits” we have now covered race (with the whole Cam, Warren Moon thing)…now we have dipped into the next controversial topic of Gays. If this lockout isn’t done by the 21st, I am wondering how abortion will be worked into Pro Football.

60. myspaceyourface says: Jul 12, 2011 3:31 PM

It’s a free country.

Why do we care what people do in their personal lives.

Some people like sausage and some people like pancakes.

Do we really need a major announcement every time someone self proclaims their interests.

61. marvsleezy says: Jul 12, 2011 3:31 PM

Would have liked to hear this from him while his brother was still alive and while he was still relevant and playing in Superbowls.

Sounds like he has a great dad though.

62. ezra954 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:32 PM

This is to ez Tony Romo

63. definitemaybe55 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:33 PM

It is incorrect to call Tyree’s opposition to marriage between people of the same sex “discrimination.” He may be wrong, but he is not necessarily a bigot. If he is — because of this opposition — then millions of people with the same position are. That contention is in itself bigoted.

64. trollaikman8 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:49 PM

DeSean Jackson: Sting they azz

65. phinfan says: Jul 12, 2011 3:50 PM

Um… Kordell Stewart?! Busted in the park with other dudes while a Steeler. His days in uni didn’t last long after that.

66. bowski72 says: Jul 12, 2011 3:52 PM

@mackie66

Jesus says that he did not come here to replace the law… as laid out in the old testament. One of those being that men should not sleep with other men. Jesus says to not judge each other as he will do that. Therefore I wouldn’t pass judgement on the individual because that’s not my place. The act itself has been labeled as a sin by god and therefore, I don’t need to judge it, God has done that for us. What Jesus wanted was for us to love one another. We can do that with out accepting or glorifying their actions, that were declared by God to be sins.

It drives me crazy when people say that the son of God telling us to love one another completely overrides the things that were labeled as right/wrong by the Father, who Jesus says on multiple instances, is perfect.

67. realfootballfan says: Jul 12, 2011 4:06 PM

theravishingrachelnichols says: Jul 12, 2011 2:46 PM

@indianheadmeatpackingcompany says:
    Gay, straight, white, black, purple and pink, there is no difference.

————————————————–

——

I laughed.

68. famousp22 says: Jul 12, 2011 4:11 PM

2 men getting married IS STILL NASTY! I dont care what Mike Irvin says

69. realfootballfan says: Jul 12, 2011 4:13 PM

bowski72 ,

I think the Bible takes issue with greed, fornication, that slavery thing, wars, people starving while some sit around in mansions, being fat from overeating, you want to keep going?

The Bible condemns alot of things, still doesn’t justify punishing those people for the way they are. According to the Bible, Jesus turned to a murderer and promised him heaven, so are you kidding me with this Bible argument about who somebody’s poking around with in the dark?

70. prmpft says: Jul 12, 2011 4:21 PM

irvin that is…

71. rskills says: Jul 12, 2011 4:26 PM

@definitemaybe55

Tyree is discriminating against them if he is anti-marriage. If gays aren’t allowed to marry they’re not reaping all the benefits/rights (or negatives some would say!) that straight couples can. That being said, he has said on record he is only anti-marriage for gays, he’s not out there discriminating on them in general. Just can’t let them tie that dangerous knot!

72. jasncondit says: Jul 12, 2011 4:34 PM

bowski – AMEN!!!!

73. hobartbaker says: Jul 12, 2011 4:52 PM

Well, you can probably assume that any players who wear earrings are gay. Oh wait, that was last year. Or 1986 or something.

74. hobartbaker says: Jul 12, 2011 4:54 PM

“Michael Irvin, I love you man! No hetero.”.

75. spenserhatch says: Jul 12, 2011 5:03 PM

All I can say is GOOD ON YOU Irvin! This coming from a die hard Skins’ fan. People will one day look back at all this noise and be ashamed, similar to interracial relationships. Dumb

76. theawkwardyears says: Jul 12, 2011 5:08 PM

I gotta think Michael Irvin saying: ““If anyone comes out in those top four major sports, I will absolutely support him,”” will keep Jeff Garcia in the closet.

77. paulsdamnblog says: Jul 12, 2011 5:22 PM

Its 2011 right? Yeah okay just checking.

78. footballhistorian says: Jul 12, 2011 5:24 PM

I wonder what position will have the first one “out”…center? or quarterback?

79. digglerthegoat says: Jul 12, 2011 5:33 PM

very cool of Irving…and spot on with the,

, quote.

This coming from an Ex- Cowboy really must be twisting the emotions of San Fran Fans! No worries…you can still hate the 2011 Cowboys, they are so douschey Deon wont even hangout with them anymore!

80. cleonslamminsalmon says: Jul 12, 2011 5:34 PM

I always knew Michael Irvin had a little sugar in his draws.

81. schmitty2 says: Jul 12, 2011 5:44 PM

footballhistorian says:
    Jul 12, 2011 5:24 PM
    I wonder what position will have the first one “out”…center? or quarterback?

Wide “Receiver”

82. hatesycophants says: Jul 12, 2011 5:51 PM

@peester15,

They did a story about the Bengals earlier today.

@bowski,

83. closisgood says: Jul 12, 2011 6:00 PM

alright guy. you’re just deleting anything i post at this point, correct?

84. geniusesq says: Jul 12, 2011 6:06 PM

Well duh, he’s supported Troy Aikman for years.

85. aldavisisthenfl says: Jul 12, 2011 6:07 PM

I heard Irvin tried to marry his crack pipe at one time…….

86. gimmeabruschi says: Jul 12, 2011 6:12 PM

From the looks of these thumb votes on the comments, it looks like we just happen to have a lot of posters who were born gay.

87. jthom19802 says: Jul 12, 2011 6:16 PM

I love when people bring up Jeff Garcia in these conversations; never mind he is married to and has three kids with one of the hottest women on the planet.

88. noodlecbs says: Jul 12, 2011 6:24 PM

HOFer, 3X Super Bowl Champion Michael Irvin….get it right.

89. thebiblestudent says: Jul 12, 2011 6:25 PM

If you wish to say that the Bible’s view that “being gay” is sinful is only found in the Old Testament, please read the second half of Romans 1.

So, would I come out and support someone who is flaunting the fact that they are sinning for the world to see? Nope. II John 9-11 speaks about that.

Would I try to hurt them for their sin? Nope. Not my place.

Would I try to show them what the Bible says about it and then leave it up to them to choose whether to believe God or not? You bet.

90. bowski72 says: Jul 12, 2011 6:27 PM

@hatesycophants

The new testament tells you that its not what goes in your body that makes a person unclean, but what comes out. Jesus says that since the food goes in my stomach and not my heart that I can eat it. And… I have not seen a need to concern myself with the rules on menstruating. It’s really not this hard, if you actually read the bible instead of just quoting things you heard somewhere.

Skadoosh!

91. mediasloppy says: Jul 12, 2011 6:34 PM

bowski72 says:
    Jul 12, 2011 2:54 PM
    —————–

How can 80% of people claim to be Christian and still support gay rights? By not judging people I guess. I’m Christian and have no problem with gay rights. I got a problem with the religious fanatics that want to force their version of morals down everyone’s throat.

92. drgfri says: Jul 12, 2011 6:56 PM

Bravo Michael Irvin!

93. easyeddie says: Jul 12, 2011 7:03 PM

Troy Aikman,….. Jeff Garcia? Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

94. 8man says: Jul 12, 2011 7:18 PM

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup!

95. granadafan says: Jul 12, 2011 7:44 PM

It sounds like Irvin has really matured since retirement. I’m not so sure how accepting he or many of his other teammates would have be so accepting when they were younger (and less wise). It’s easy for Irvin to say this from the broadcast booth, but when he’s in the lockeroom with an openly gay player, somehow I think his reaction would be less tolerant.

Either way, I applaud his “coming out” to state that he’s not an intolerant bigot like so many others who claim to be a loving Christian.

96. andyreidisfat says: Jul 12, 2011 7:54 PM

Anyone taking this chance to have some kinda “drug” joke about Irvin is nothing more than a little person whom probably lives in their mommys basement and is angry at the world because they don’t have friends.

M. Irvin has worked really hard in his life to not be a junkie loser. Now he may have had some advantages that other drug user don’t he still put in the work to get clean and I for one will always admire him for doing that. Also he is a guy that does a lot for charity and his community. So go a head and poke fun at the guy. Keep being angry at the world because all you have is a computer screen in mommy’s basement.

Mr. Irvin is making a brave statement imo. He has to know that being gay in pro sports is still looked down apon. I have to believe that there is more than a few players in sports who feel just a lil bit better about themselves after hearing a guy of that stature coming out and saying he would support them. Especially in the Black community. For some reason my guess is that silly religion they follow the Blacks don’t like the gays. But i agree with Irvin. With the history of Black folks in this country, you’d think they would be for all civil rights.

I’m saying this and i was one of the “evil” philly fans who cheered the injury that basicly ended his career. Way to go Irvin. You have a lot of respect in philly even if we don’t always show it !

97. gimmeabruschi says: Jul 12, 2011 8:04 PM

This gay thing is no big deal. The horse is already out of the barn on that.

It’s when the QB announces he plans on marrying his sister that the real debate will begin.

Or it could be when the QB announces he plans on marrying his sister AND his tight end.

98. kevinfromphilly says: Jul 12, 2011 8:12 PM

“@bowski,

I assume you are following all of the Old Testament dietary restrictions and that you monthly shun broads who are menstruating as “Unclean!!!””

Well, the last part actually sounds like a good plan – yuck! But bacon is good, pork chops are good.

99. bcgreg says: Jul 12, 2011 8:56 PM

As a commentator on NFLN and a well respected NFL alum, does he know something we don’t?

Bottom line is I don’t care if you’re black, white, gay, straight, whatever. The day “racial equality” or “no predjudice” is achieved is when the Dungy/Lovie Smith-being-the-first duo-of-black-coaches-to-face-each-other-in-the-SB story or an athlete-saying-he’s-gay-while-an-active-player story isn’t made into a big deal. I could have cared less that Dungy/Smith were the first duo of black head coaches to meet in the SB. I think they’re excellent coaches not excellent BLACK coaches. It’s like we have to pat each other on the back by pointing these things out when something like this happens when it really shouldn’t matter. Same with the gay athlete. I understand it would be the first time, but really, should it matter?

I know someone will say something about the country’s history of racial tension, and I agree. But, the only way to move forward is to not look back. Stop using history as an excuse. We shouldn’t forget what happened in history, but at some point you gotta let it go. The younger generations now simply don’t care about race or who’s gay as much as the older generations, and it’ll get less and less as years go by.

Again, I know there are very real issues still occuring. My point is that something like the Dungy/Smith thing just isn’t important. I think the same would hold true if a gay athlete came out. There would be a few that would be idiots as always, but I think for the most part, people would fall more in line with Irvin. Then, again, I say your business is your business. No one says that anyone has tell anybody anything about their private lives. I personally don’t WANT to know. It’s not my business. Just play football (ie do your job) and do it well!

100. childressrulz says: Jul 12, 2011 8:58 PM

____________________
    Why wouldn’t you? Only a self righteous, pretentious, moron who believes in magic and superstitions (people not worth wasting a bullet on) would have a problem with that (bowski -sister humper I am looking at you).

101. hatesycophants says: Jul 12, 2011 9:12 PM

You obviously don’t know what the word “shun” means. Also, there are guidelines regarding seafood, dairy, oils, bread and many others. There are instruction to stone and otherwise assail people for a myriad of what the most zealous of person would consider not-at-all or minor infractions. Anyone who claims to follow both the Old Testament and the New, but has not read the scriptures translated directly from the ancient Aramaic is a common drone, living his life based on the misinterpretations of a book which has been misused, debased and abridged consistently over the past nearly two millennia. Bowski, your paraphrasing a book you haven’t read and do not fully understand is exactly why Christian zealots are just as dangerous as Muslim extremists. Btw, Yeshua also said: “Render unto Cesar what is Cesar’s.” We have to assume that you’re not one of the folks bitching about how high taxes are? We must further assume that you’re tithing appropriately?

102. krashie21 says: Jul 12, 2011 9:46 PM

Good for you Mike!

It takes guts to take a stand.

103. MichaelEdits says: Jul 12, 2011 9:55 PM

I just felt inspired to repeat that, and I’m an atheist.

104. bcgreg says: Jul 12, 2011 10:54 PM

@ MichaelEdits

If you’re an atheist, then how did this inspire you? The image of Michael Irvin standing before God should make you scoff since you do not believe in God. Maybe you should rethink if you’re an atheist.

105. thebiblestudent says: Jul 12, 2011 10:57 PM

hatesycophants says: Anyone who claims to follow both the Old Testament and the New, but has not read the scriptures translated directly from the ancient Aramaic is a common drone, living his life based on the misinterpretations of a book which has been misused, debased and abridged consistently over the past nearly two millennia.

—————————————————

Someone doesn’t know history. The Old Testament was written primarily (over 98%) in Hebrew. The New Testament was written in Greek.

Hard to take anything you say about the Bible seriously when you show your complete ignorance like that.

106. kindbass says: Jul 12, 2011 11:38 PM

Oh, wow, religion arguments. Who would have thought THAT was coming?

107. dixonorifice says: Jul 12, 2011 11:39 PM

Come on out Romo. Michael will be behind you.

108. dangonavyboy says: Jul 13, 2011 4:46 AM

its all over blown..nothing will happen to the person that comes out you wanna know why its easy 4 BIG LETTER ESPN will make it a huge deal for the world to see..it will be on all the time..how its was a struggle..how its soo hard..and everything that goes with it..wanna know another reason why it wont be that big of a deal in sports …..what matters the most in sports MONEY…yep..so say tom brady came out and said he was gay..would anyone on the pats say screw you..if they do i bet they wouldnt be on the pats after that..and man you think mike vick had a hard time finding a job..dang just wait till all the pro gay-lesbian groups get ahold of you..no gm or owner will want to touch you….even if a special team player comes out they would still support him because like i said the news and everyone would be all over it..and there is no way a owner or coach is goin to fire a guy after he comes out because a few players dont like it..cause then all the gay and lesbian groups will be all over that team..negative spot light..lose money..when it starts happin it will be like anything else..if you support it say it loud so everyone will love you….if you dont support it just shut your mouth earn your paychecks..i bet thats what the owners and coaches will tell there players.. until the player retires then talks about how much he hated it..

109. hatesycophants says: Jul 13, 2011 9:31 AM

@biblestudent, that is simply inaccurate.

110. ivekilledpeople says: Jul 13, 2011 7:05 PM

He did he supported Troy Aikman. And we all know Troy was one of “them” people

111. tunescribe says: Jul 15, 2011 11:05 AM

I understand and applaud Irvin’s position. What I do not understand is why he posed half-naked for Out Magazine. It’s like he’s saying, “I’m not gay but you can fantasize about me anyway.”

112. ltomlinson2101 says: Jul 19, 2011 5:15 PM

I’m sure you wont have to wait to long for Tom Brady to come out. He shoulda been a movie star(Brokeback Mountain)