Brian Cushing on James Harrison: “I’ll pray for him”

Brian Cushing AP

Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has decided not to fire back after learning that Steelers linebacker James Harrison ripped him in a recent interview.

Harrison said in the interview that Cushing, who was suspended for the first four games of 2010 for violating the league’s steroid policy, is “juiced out of his mind.”

When asked to respond, Cushing told FOX 26 in Houston, “I’ll pray for him.”

That’s apparently going to be Cushing’s standard response to questions about Harrison; it’s the same thing he said to the Houston Chronicle.

Harrison is far from the first person to criticize Cushing regarding his positive test for a substance that can be used to mask steroid use, but it’s not clear whether there’s anything in particular that put Cushing in Harrison’s crosshairs. Cushing has never played in a game against the Steelers.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Brian Cushing on James Harrison: “I’ll pray for him””
  1. prosb4hos says: Jul 13, 2011 4:33 PM

And by pray, he means make up some sort of non-existent physical ailment to cover your a*s.

2. randysavage4ever says: Jul 13, 2011 4:37 PM

i like Cushing response yo…

3. jadtb93 says: Jul 13, 2011 4:37 PM

Harrison looks like he is on steroids.

4. erfoster says: Jul 13, 2011 4:37 PM

nice response brian cushing.

5. rayvens says: Jul 13, 2011 4:41 PM

When asked to respond, Cushing told FOX 26 in Houston, “I’ll pray for him.”
    ———————–
    in a later response Cushing was quoted saying “im glad im off the juice it was making me Angry and Stupid like J.Harrison”

6. roceagles says: Jul 13, 2011 4:41 PM

Harrison is the poster child for HGH testing. Barry Bonds and Placido Polanco laugh at his skull

7. trollaikman8 says: Jul 13, 2011 4:42 PM

“Pray” is a term used for cycling.

8. boknowsvt says: Jul 13, 2011 4:44 PM

I’m seriously starting to think that James Harrison is severely Bi-Polar.

9. jm1122 says: Jul 13, 2011 4:45 PM

…ha ha ha…so someone calls out his obvious use of performance enhancing drugs and the best response big bri can think of is that he plans to try to communicate telepathically to his imaginary friend in the sky about it…as this week has proven, it takes a lot to sound less intelligent than james harrison but big bri is making it look easy by once again using his religious delusions as a crutch…

10. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jul 13, 2011 4:46 PM

” it’s not clear whether there’s anything in particular that put Cushing in Harrison’s crosshairs”

Maybe it’s that they are both Linebackers in the AFC?

11. sprest83 says: Jul 13, 2011 4:46 PM

Really? Harrison is the biggest juicer in the league.

12. Deb says: Jul 13, 2011 4:49 PM

Don’t know if Cushing is being serious, but it’s a great response :)

13. powderedme says: Jul 13, 2011 4:52 PM

Cushing just did a sweet job of making Harrison look like an even bigger ass for his comment.

Well played.

14. goldeelox says: Jul 13, 2011 4:52 PM

Harrison appears to be targeting Cushing for the same reason he accuses Goodell of fining him.

15. stinkfingers says: Jul 13, 2011 4:55 PM

Its funny that Harrison is clowning Cushing for roids…

Hello Pot.. Meet Kettle.

16. imatulsadawg says: Jul 13, 2011 4:56 PM

…cryin’ won’t help ya…prayin’ won’t do you no good…can’t expect much…from someone that’s dumber than wood…

17. bolt4life says: Jul 13, 2011 4:58 PM

… all NFL players are on steroids. I still love the NFL and love what it is today. But It’s my personal belief they are all on steroids, and I accept that.

18. kindbass says: Jul 13, 2011 5:07 PM

I wouldn’t mess with James Harrison either. Dude looks crazy enough to carry grenades on him.

19. ezmoover says: Jul 13, 2011 5:12 PM

” it’s not clear whether there’s anything in particular that put Cushing in Harrison’s crosshairs. Cushing has never played in a game against the Steelers.”

Well, it’s certainly not because Cushing is a white LB.

Harrison hates racism. He said so himself.

20. jm1122 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:12 PM

i wonder what big bri said when his sky fairy allowed him to be suspended for the first four games of 2010 for violating the league’s steroid policy?!?
    was it bless you sky fairy for i have sinned?

21. kc4life7 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:13 PM

_________________________________

Agreed, except I think it’s more around 75% or so. The quarterbacks, kickers, etc. don’t need to be on that stuff. Their bodies take a beating and their livelihood depends on how well they perform. Can you honestly blame them?

And by all quarterbacks, I mean every QB except Brady Quinn. Pretty sure that guy juices.

22. supashug says: Jul 13, 2011 5:15 PM

CLASSIC

23. emil4423 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:19 PM

Keep this up harrison I love the drama

24. johnnyjagfan says: Jul 13, 2011 5:20 PM

Um, anyone think Harrison was on his “race issue” tirade when he decided to bring up Cushing? He said driving VY’s head into the ground cost him $5k & barely touching Drew Brees cost him $20k.

25. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jul 13, 2011 5:21 PM

harrison is mad because Cushing has a cool haircut while harrison can’t grow any hair.

26. comeonnowguys says: Jul 13, 2011 5:21 PM

Wow, it was nice of the biggest dirtbag in football to pop up and take some visibility off Harrison.

27. sasquash20 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:26 PM

Weakest come back ever! I get it hes in lame ass bible thumping Texas, but come on grow a set please. Harrison may be on something but he didn’t fail any test for anything like the over training Cushing did he? I love Harrison and I’m not even a Steelers fan. I hope he still plays the way he always has. What Vagina Ball Goodell and fantasy football people want is soft. When I played I hit someone as hard as I could. Before we got up I would shove there face or throw dirt in there face, maybe if I could sneak it in a punch to the gut. I get Harrison’s mentality, most of you sissies have never even laced them up. Football used to be for wild and crazy maniacs, now its for soft, weak, vagina folds.

28. spartyfi says: Jul 13, 2011 5:32 PM

Kc4life: as a fan that looks at football for what it is, entertainment, I don’t care if they juice if it enhances my entertainment! Some people take these games(sports) too seriously. Just a game people!

29. olduke says: Jul 13, 2011 5:42 PM

Harrison is an idiot! Just watch his tweets and comments. What a joke, no matter that he has become a very good player. He should just do his job and keep his mouth shut!

30. pittman2052 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:43 PM

name one drug test Harrison failed. name players besides cushing who failed a drug test. if these players were on steroids, they would be suspended and ultimately out if the NFL.

31. upperdecker19 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:44 PM

Did he say “pray” or “prey”?

32. yajas says: Jul 13, 2011 5:45 PM

Best response since Kellen Winslow said ‘Joey Porter needs a hug’.

33. rc33 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:45 PM

He’ll regret having that picture taken, I’ll bet. On top of this interview he decides to pose for THAT freakin’ picture? As someone mentioned, I think dude may be bi-polar.
    And if either of the Rhyming Reverends were even remotely sincere about what they preach, they’d call out Harrison for “message” that he’s sending to youths of America.
    I’ll take the under.

34. enders9 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:52 PM

Just remember to take the needle out of your ass before you kneel and start talking to yourself

35. bhester1906 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:57 PM

I met Harrison at a rental car return lot at the Airport. He was cool as hell. He has to be bi polar

36. hobartbaker says: Jul 13, 2011 5:59 PM

Egregious could have all the people in Asia praying for him and he’ll still go straight to Hell.

37. unclecaptainshane says: Jul 13, 2011 6:01 PM

That’s the same thing I said about Tim Tebow when he got drafted by Denver

38. danrooneyii says: Jul 13, 2011 6:15 PM

Right…Harrison is on steroids because he’s arguably the best all-around OLB in the league and is muscular. I guess we can say Clay Matthews and Ware on ‘roids too. They’re just as relentless. Last I heard Harrison never tested positive for anything.

39. stairwayto7 says: Jul 13, 2011 6:32 PM

Cushing is a comvicted ROID USER AND ABUSER! He will always be average at best…

40. hobartbaker says: Jul 13, 2011 6:32 PM

From his personal arsenal it looks like Egregious has moved from big time drug consumer to small time drug dealer.

41. Slim Charles says: Jul 13, 2011 6:37 PM

Saying “I’ll pray for you” is the lamest comeback ever.” Brian Cushion is soft without his roids.

42. chatham10 says: Jul 13, 2011 6:38 PM

I read the comments that Harrison made and if he hates his boss so much (not the money he makes) then he should pack up and try the CFL or anyplace else where he does not have to put up with the crap he says that Goodell says and is.

43. granadafan says: Jul 13, 2011 6:40 PM

Brian must be going through his pregnancy mood swings.

44. db3300 says: Jul 13, 2011 7:20 PM

sashquash20: “I get it hes in lame ass bible thumping Texas…”

Well, Einstein, our economy is humming, 1500 people a day are moving here, and corporations are driving moving vans (and jobs) in here hourly. The streets are paved with gold here but how are things doing in your crappy state? Maybe if you prayed a little more, you wouldn’t be wallowing in your miserable little life.

45. theravishingrachelnichols says: Jul 13, 2011 7:25 PM

Starting defense, a seat at the table!

46. evrybdyhas1 says: Jul 13, 2011 8:13 PM

Roid rage would be a great excuse otherwise he is mentally ill and beats women.

47. raylewis52 says: Jul 13, 2011 8:22 PM

Man, today has to be james harrison’s lucky day 38742974892374 news reports on him today.

48. raylewis52 says: Jul 13, 2011 8:25 PM

I say we should get input from the President of Australia as well I’d like to see what she thinks of James Harrison.

49. raylewis52 says: Jul 13, 2011 8:44 PM

I didn’t know Harrison talked about Cushing…. I thought wth this is so random why would they ask a Cushing of all people? lol No but I thought Cushing handled this well.

50. androk23 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:00 PM

Jairus Byrd should have been DROY…it’s a shame he lost the re-vote because voters were essentially voting against the re-vote.

51. ldawg2112 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:07 PM

pittman2052 says:
    ___
    _____________

52. thetooloftools says: Jul 13, 2011 9:51 PM

Harrison is the new defensive version of T.O. (won’t shut his mouth) and will be out of the NFL in a year or two max.

53. drgreenstreak says: Jul 13, 2011 9:56 PM

James Harrison – Somebody actually said about the only thing you can say for wannabe HOF. Pray for his dumb ass. Or, get him to take up UFC where he’ll have to wait longer for the whistle so he can try to cheat after having his ass handed to him.

54. deconjonesbitchslap says: Jul 13, 2011 11:34 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t go after Clay Matthews.

55. steelcurtainn says: Jul 13, 2011 11:41 PM

The guy gets suspended for 4 games in 2010 for steroid use after knowing the NFL rules and policies.

James Harrison says”He’s juiced out of his mind”

Whats wrong with that comment. He’s stating the obvious. Maybe cushing should start praying he stays off ROIDS when he should aalready know better.

I doubt silverback needs any prayers from this guy.

56. joyjoy69 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:15 AM

Yes, I get that Harrison has been trying to outdo Terrell Suggs with the controversial stupid comments. That said, Brian, what exactly has he done that you need to pray for him?!

57. loytomaki says: Jul 14, 2011 1:25 AM

Harrison is a douche but responding to criticism with “Ill pray for him” is like saying responding with “Nazis were bad people!” or “I like puppies”. I mean, sure it baits an emotional response that we can all get behind, but I remember O.J. Saying something similar when asked about someone who said he was a muderer.

If you are Billy Grahm and respond to a public criticism with “I’ll pray for him”. I can buy it. but if you are a man whom regularly talks tough about kicking the opponents ass and you respond to accusations of cheating with something other than “He is just jelous” or “F that crazy D bag”. I think someone coached you up to say ” Puppies are cute” anytime someone calls your shaky integrity into question.

58. dirtdawg55 says: Jul 14, 2011 3:26 AM

He is praying for the wrong guy.

59. trickybastard says: Jul 14, 2011 8:48 AM

Uh, he’s white and Harrison is obviously racist

60. trickybastard says: Jul 14, 2011 8:53 AM

@steelcurtain: don’t be a naive little idiot when it’s convenient for defending your player on your favorite team. Most NFL players use steroids and that includes Harrison

61. raiderinpa says: Jul 14, 2011 9:12 AM

Oh, and Harrison isn’t on roids himself?? Harrison is definitely the pot calling the kettle black!! Come on, I’m guessing 67% of NFL players are ‘on the sauce’ or at least have been ‘on the sauce’… Harrison needs to STFU!!

Personally, I wouldnt want our NFL players NOT to be ‘on the sauce’… Might as well stick to watching Pop Warner football if thats the case…

62. fullerman says: Jul 14, 2011 11:25 AM

crazy or not. steriods or not, Harrison is the best lb in football…he can talk and walk it. BC is like Jose Batustia …juiced and still losing….

63. houndog50 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:32 PM

sasquash20 says: Jul 13, 2011 5:26 PM

“When I played I hit someone as hard as I could. Before we got up I would shove there face or throw dirt in there face, maybe if I could sneak it in a punch to the gut. —————————————————–
    Yes, and your girlfriend still has the bruises to prove it, what a man!

64. Steeler's Will says: Jul 14, 2011 1:00 PM

ldawg2112 says:
    Jul 13, 2011 9:07 PM

“Wow, you’re incredibly naive if you believe that. There is NO TEST for HGH in the NFL and there are all sorts of designer steroids that can be hidden from tests as well as other methods of avoiding failing a steroid test. You think every guy who hasnt failed a test is clean? Thats like thinking that every person who has never had a speeding ticket never speeds.”

——————–
    I would think the same kind of test that nailed Cushing would also work on Harrison. Otherwise it sounds like the only idiot players are the ones getting caught. I say let em take what they want until they all kill each other.

65. darulerrick1 says: Jul 14, 2011 1:44 PM

I am from the great city of Akron and I am very familiar with the Harrison family. All the men in this family are all built like mack trucks and mean! No steroids just some strong and mean S.O.B’s!

66. thefightingfitzpatrick says: Jul 23, 2011 1:22 PM

This Cushing-Harrison feud is another reason why Michael Huyghue and the UFL is laughing at the NFL. While NFL players are creating trouble and ripping their peers (like Harrison), we never hear any troublemakers in the UFL, Arena Football or the CFL.
    If you want to see a real role model, instead of that idiot James Harrison, watch the UFL on VERSUS this fall. I’m sick and tired of hearing #92’s diarrhea mouth.