Drew Brees: “We’re very close to a settlement”

Wild Card Playoffs - New Orleans Saints v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

Saints quarterback Drew Brees sounded optimistic on Wednesday that a deal to end the lockout could get done very soon.

“We’re very close to a settlement,” Brees said on XX Sports Radio in San Diego. “We’re at that point in the negotiations where there’s just a few more details that need to be ironed out.”

Brees is in San Diego at the moment but said he might be headed to New York to get personally involved in negotiations. And he said the July 21 owners’ meeting looms large on the calendar.

“Obviously there’s a big sense of urgency, especially in the next week with the owners’ meeting on July 21,” Brees said. “I think we’re all optimistic and hoping we can finalize a deal for that time.”

As a named plaintiff in the players’ antitrust lawsuit and a member of the NFLPA* Executive Committee, Brees is one of the most knowledgeable players in the league when it comes to the ongoing negotiations. He confirmed the widespread reports that a revenue split and a rookie pay scale are the major issues in the ongoing negotiations.

On the revenue split, Brees said the players have already made concessions to the owners: “We’ve taken a significant setback as far as overall revenue.”

Regarding rookie contracts, Brees said the issues were “especially, really, the Top 15 picks.” And he said that he wants any savings from reduced pay to those high draft picks to go to the players, including improving pensions and health care for retired players.

“If their salaries are cut, where does that money go? Our standpoint is if that money is taken away from the rookies, it needs to go to the veteran players,” Brees said. “Proven veterans as well as retired players.”

Brees says the owners should be happy with the deal the players are willing to make, and now it’s time for the owners to reach across the table and accept.

“The fact of the matter is that we do have a very fair proposal on the table right now in front of the owners,” Brees said. “They’ve talked a lot here over the last week about how, ‘Wer’e going to get a deal done before the 21st, for the meetings.’ Well, now the ball’s in their court because we have a very fair proposal.”

According to Brees, the players are ready, willing and able to get back to work.

“Get us back on the field again,” Brees said. “That’s all we want as players.”

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
59 Responses to “Drew Brees: “We’re very close to a settlement””
  1. stevo8drum says: Jul 13, 2011 12:03 PM

hmmm. you mean CBA- noone cares about your lawsuit Drew.

2. t16rich says: Jul 13, 2011 12:08 PM

You better be Drew. I think your coach is getting bored. Probally ready to start dipping in the vicodin locker again. I might join him. GET THE DEAL DONE!!!

3. semperfi24 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:08 PM

LMFAO Drew:

“Get us back on the field again,” Brees said. “That’s all we want as players.”

Really Drew, that is ALL you want as players, really? You dont want more money, more time off in the offseason, blah blah blah. You know, all the things we have been hearing for the last 3 months about what the players want….

Dont get me wrong, I would say the same thing if the owners made such a statement, lol

4. boothisman says: Jul 13, 2011 12:08 PM

Lies. All lies.

5. dje81 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:10 PM

As much as I don’t want to….From the very little I know, I agree with Drew.

6. sterling7 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:12 PM

I take it this is not the anonymous football player who said that he would be shocked if a deal was done within the next 10 days, but was also too gutless enough to give his name?

7. sterilizecromartie says: Jul 13, 2011 12:13 PM

“Well, now the ball’s in their court because we have a very fair proposal.”
    ———–
    I’m sure you thought you had a fair proposal on the table back in April too.

8. pappageorgio says: Jul 13, 2011 12:14 PM

The Tom Glavine of the NFL.

The player’s proposal is fair and the owners should accept it. The balls in their court.

Which is exactly what he says every time right? Only now….he adds in little comments about the retired players…..as if he cares. I have zero respect for this guy at all.

9. endzonezombie says: Jul 13, 2011 12:14 PM

No one cares about immature, negative comments at this point. It looks like a deal will get presented at the owners meeting for approval – the ball will be in the owners court to start the 2011 season on time.

10. thephantomstranger says: Jul 13, 2011 12:15 PM

So now it looks like the players are taking the approach of making it look like a deal is inevitably coming soon, and if it doesn’t, it’s the owners’ fault. Pretty smart.

11. ckacv111 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:18 PM

Well, if Drew Brees says so, it must be true…

Still awaiting the daily dose of cold water.

12. apdaddy77 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:18 PM

Turning up the heat on the ole bosses

13. rayvenmad says: Jul 13, 2011 12:19 PM

If they can get a rookie cap and take care of the retired players then all this will be worth it.

14. jack2469 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:19 PM

Drew says: “The owners should be happy with the deal the players are willing to make, and now it’s time for the owners to reach across the table and accept.”

De Smith says: “Dont believe the hype, we have a lot of work to do, and were working really hard. Now it’s time for me to take the weekend off”

And so on and so on and yada-yada-yada.

15. southmo says: Jul 13, 2011 12:20 PM

Seems that quite a bit of progress has been made since both sides were forced by gag order to quit arguing their case to the media.

It’s slightly worrisome that today, suddenly, the players and owners are back to releasing statements again. Why is scoring points with public opinion so important suddenly? Is it because there’s an impasse and they are setting things up to blame the other side? Maybe I’m just paranoid.

The only statement I’m really interested in is the one where they announce they have agreed to a new deal and football will resume.

16. kspec1982 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:20 PM

Hey drew the blame goes to the players just as much as the owners.

Don’t make it all out to be its the owners fault when we all know both sides are to blame.

17. tomsd1 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:21 PM

Funny – I heard Drew talk about the 50-50 split of the revenue still being an issue – as well as the rookie wage scale/length of the contracts.

And – he’s not sure he’s going to NY tomorrow.

Hey – the Drew Brees/Manning/Brady & 7 lawsuit was instigated by D – The Finger – Smith -and his promise to the NFLPA that the way to beat the owners was through the courts.

And the dumb players followed him like the Pied Piper.

18. drevilstolemymojito says: Jul 13, 2011 12:22 PM

I’d bet most players want more than to just get back on the field…a huge paycheck perhaps? The rookie pay scale should be a deal-killer for the owners. I hope the NFL doesn’t cave in on that one.

19. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 13, 2011 12:23 PM

Time to get this lockout over with.

20. gdeli says: Jul 13, 2011 12:24 PM

we do not like brees as vikes fans but that said would take him in a minute to be our qb(we hope ponder works out though) since he is good and the 2009 vikes did it to themselves. I gotta be honest.

21. stevo8drum says: Jul 13, 2011 12:24 PM

im so lost- i said “deal” instead of “settlment”- because we really dont care about his lawsuit and i get like a billion thumbs down. Do you guys really care about his lawsuit? i dont- i care about getting back to football.

22. winstonhussein says: Jul 13, 2011 12:27 PM

He’ll show up at the last second and be seen as a hero.
    The sad thing is, ESPN and the majority of fans will eat it up.

23. b7p19 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:29 PM

So clearly all you commenters have read the players offer and know for a fact that it is not fair? It’s amazing how much control over the public that rich people in this country really have.

24. billybats says: Jul 13, 2011 12:30 PM

Wait, they’re close? How can this be? Chester Pitts–er, I mean an unnamed player–told Pete Prisco a couple days ago that they’re not close at all, that all of this was a smokescreen by the owners.

25. sc5000 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:34 PM

I have lost a lot of respect for the players through this whole thing esp. Drew Brees. He has been out of the picture for a couple of months and now he swoops in and wants to act like this can’t get done without him. Also, if there is a new CBA does that mean that the players will drop their ridiculous lawsuit in court. If I was an owner I wouldn’t sign any agreement until I had it in writing that the players lawsuit headed up by d bag Kessler was going to be dropped.

26. realitypolice says: Jul 13, 2011 12:38 PM

stevo8drum says:
    Jul 13, 2011 12:03 PM
    hmmm. you mean CBA- noone cares about your lawsuit Drew.
    =========================

Umm………no.

Since the NFLPA decertified, what is going on now are negotiations on a settlement of the lawsuit the players filed against the owners.

The agreement that they make will officially be entered into law as the settlement of the suit. After that is done, the union will recertify and the settlement will become the new CBA.

This is exactly what happened in 1990 when the Reggie White lawsuit was settled.

In fact, the only players that have a “vote” right now are the named plaintiffs. I don’t know if the players as a whole will ever even vote on this officially. Maybe after the union re-certifies there will be a vote, but believe me, it will be for show.

27. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: Jul 13, 2011 12:39 PM

When all this is said and done, I would love to see a list of the winners and losers in this whole mess. As much as I have respected Drew Brees in the past as an excellent football player and intelligent well-educated man, sadly I think he will come across as one of the big losers in this whole mess.

28. micronin127 says: Jul 13, 2011 12:42 PM

I agree with the previous poster that stated it was BAD that both sides are talking to the press again trying to shape public opinion.

It’s a precursor to the blame game.

I preferred the ‘cone of silence’ and both sides appearing to be on the same page much more.

29. JAM says: Jul 13, 2011 12:59 PM

That old saying about ‘never bite the hand that feeds you’ comes to mind here. So the players secured benefits for retirees, fair revenue split, etc. However, the owner still writes your individual paycheck and you better hope he has a short memory of how you ‘called him out’ all summer…

30. honolulubluekoolaid says: Jul 13, 2011 1:00 PM

No disrespect to Drew, any players, the Owners or even PFT planet for that matter – But all I am hearing is noise, until this thing gets done. It probably is close, but I just hope it gets done – NOW! My only fear is that the back and forth news from the owners/players is just trying to sway public opinion in order to help achieve their goals. Us fans just want football, we will only truly pick sides when there is no deal made and we begin to suffer. Just get it get it done Boys!

31. goawayeverybody says: Jul 13, 2011 1:03 PM

One of two possibilities:

1. He’s right and they are actually close to a deal.
    2. This is an absolutely brilliant political ploy to get the owners to accept the players’ deal. Now the owners are going to look like greedy stubborn fools if they don’t accept.

32. allascowboys says: Jul 13, 2011 1:05 PM

If all the players want is to play football, then this should have been a done deal 4 months ago

33. southmo says: Jul 13, 2011 1:08 PM

b7p19… and you’ve read the owner’s offer? Do tell. It’s amazing how much control over the public that political activists in this country really have.

34. mightyleemoon says: Jul 13, 2011 1:08 PM

“Get us back on the field again,” Brees said. “That’s all we want as players.”

“Oh…and half of the profits.” Brees continued.

35. isphet71 says: Jul 13, 2011 1:21 PM

Looks like our cold water will be served to us by the billionaires this week, instead of the millionaires.

I bet it’s still going to taste like water.

36. johnnyg938 says: Jul 13, 2011 1:25 PM

If you guys are very close to getting a deal done… Then you need to keep your BUTTS in that conference room, get the deal done by this WEEKEND…. BOTTOM LINE…. I’m fed up with this CRAP… Let’s GET This season going… It’s not fair to the Fans like myself who LOVE the game of FOOTBALL…. Come on!!!

37. indyeagle says: Jul 13, 2011 1:28 PM

IF there is a salary floor, where the heck else does he think the money would go? If teams stop spending as much money on the rookies, but they still have to spend x amount of dollars, then naturally, the money has been transferred to the veterans.

Am I missing something?

38. patsforever says: Jul 13, 2011 1:38 PM

What an ass. I’m sure the deal you have on the table does sound very fair to you, Drew. I’m also sure the owners have on the table sounds very fair to them. The point of agreement, as it has been through this whole, ridiculous mess, is somewhere in the middle. Why in God’s name should all the money saved by a rookie wage scale go to the veterans? That is money they aren’t making now. What is changing? Are they going to play harder? Play more? Agree to 18 games? What are they doing to earn a bigger piece of the pie? I agree they should receive some of it, but most should go to retired players and the rest should be split between the owners and the players along the lines of whatever total revenue split they agree to.

39. krow101 says: Jul 13, 2011 1:38 PM

“Get us back on the field again … That’s all we want as players.”

Oh please. This entire drama was about one thing … MONEY.

That’s all you really want … nothing to do with playing football. Good grief. I know no one cares about the fans … but we’re not stupid.

40. vetdana says: Jul 13, 2011 2:00 PM

You have a ‘Gag Order ” in place and Brees is now making public statements, BEFORE… the Owners have responded, accepted and signed a deal ! This does nothing but invite trouble ! I think we better listen to the other side….. before we start buying tickets !

41. bradjames33160 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:11 PM

All right Drew, I’ll shoot straight with you.

After you left the Chargers, as a Broncos fan, I could really grow to appreciate your talents as a Saint, for you were no longer a divisional rival.

For Christmas, my mom bought me your autobiography and I admired you, because deep down, I still think you’re a good person.

With that said, I quit reading the book when your name appeared on the lawsuit.

However, I’ll continue reading when this deal is done.

Forgiveness is easy when I get my football back, so GET IT DONE.

P.S. Sean Payton, hold off on the medication, I think we’ll get it done!

42. pdxpanther says: Jul 13, 2011 2:16 PM

Last I checked, it was the owners that opted out of the current deal and locked the players out. Not the other way around.

43. hockeygoalie29 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:20 PM

Is this the cue for Roger Goodell to call the proposal the “worst deal in the history of sports?”

44. larryfinfan says: Jul 13, 2011 2:20 PM

More garbage…don’t want to hear anything more about this stalemate until there is an agreement…then, Brees can talk all he wants…until then, STFU and do what you should be doing at the bargaining table…

All these ‘unnamed sources’ the media keeps coming up with have turned this into even more of a circus than it was before the CBA expired…

Shame on Brees, the rest of the players, De Smith, Goodell and all the owners…nothing like shooting the goose that has laid the golden eggs for them…

45. larryfinfan says: Jul 13, 2011 2:23 PM

BTW, pdxpanther, it was the players union that walked out on negotiations by filing the shame decertification that forced the owners hand with the lockout. Afterall, if they don’t do the lockout, they are in violation of the antitrust settlement ?? So the blame goes all around…not just the owners and their idiot lawyers, not just the players and their idiot lawyers…

46. eaglez10 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:26 PM

why get a deal done now why not wait till the last second i bet there still on the 5 yrd line of there own endzone

47. illyistic1 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:29 PM

If brees days we are close we should have this done by fri @ the latest I hope!

48. tommyf15 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:42 PM

goawayeverybody says:

That’s exactly what I was going to type. Thanks for saving me the trouble :)

49. barronhastoholdorakpo says: Jul 13, 2011 2:43 PM

Southmo, I was thinking the exact same thing. We all are being sucked into this thing that everything is on track to end soon. I read from this that there is stillsome negotiating to do, and both sides are posturing. Can’t say as I like this new development. I do think the Owners are smarter in these things, and they will win this PR war that seems to be going on. I’d say it’s a 3 out of 10 chance this whole thing blows up again by the weekend. I hope not.

50. chatham10 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:51 PM

It sounds to me that our hero Brees (who has not been attending the latest sessions) is going to ride in on his white horse at the last minute and then take credit for getting this CBA completed.

51. tommyf15 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:51 PM

larryfinfan says:

Will you people STOP with that false claim? It’s a LIE.

The owners were locking the players out- period. They’d been planning to lock them out from the day they opted out of the CBA.

Tell me, if the owners didn’t plan on locking the players out, why did they negotiate lockout insurance into their television contracts?

Game, set, match. You have been provided indisputable proof that the owners’ strategy from Day One was a lockout, only then countered by the players’ plan to decertify.

52. nflfan101 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:54 PM

Can anyone tell this guy (Brees) to just “shut up”. His talk reminds me of the earlier “Godfather” and “war” comments by D. Smith. They do not help. They just hurt the process.

53. gregjennings85 says: Jul 13, 2011 2:59 PM

Football > $

54. riverhorsey says: Jul 13, 2011 3:48 PM

Just do a deal. As much money as both sides make neither one could get a bad deal.

Just do something more for the retired players.

55. raidermick says: Jul 13, 2011 3:49 PM

Like James Harrison, Drew Bree’s comments were twisted and taken out of context…

What he really meant was “get us back on the field so we can watch the Raiders win it all this year.” He added, “I liked watching them beat the Chargers twice last year. The reason I wear Gold and Black is because they won’t let me wear Silver and Black”

It’s all in his comments, unless you twisted them like the authors claim…

Even the players know this about the Raiders and they can’t stop thinking about the Silver and Black!

Late…

56. clayton43 says: Jul 13, 2011 4:50 PM

lol love that quote… ” that is all we want as players” by Bree’s … he forgot to mention that few extra Billion as well !! Hate when players make dumb ass comments like that.

57. andrewfbrowne says: Jul 13, 2011 4:53 PM

WOW, the money needs to go to retired players? Drew, I thought the reitred players wasted all their money on bad investments and frivilous spending? Harrison and Brees doing that new dance from NFL players the last couple of months. It is called the ‘backtrack.’

58. breeshasabush says: Jul 13, 2011 5:00 PM

ckacv111 says:
    Jul 13, 2011 12:18 PM
    Well, if Drew Brees says so, it must be true…

———————-

And dont you forget it!!!!!

59. txhc says: Jul 13, 2011 5:49 PM