NFLPA* disputes the notion that an agreement is close

NFL Labor Football AP

It seems like only this morning that Drew Brees, one of the leading voices in the NFLPA*, said the players and owners were “very close” to working out an agreement.

Now other leading voices of the NFLPA* take issue with Brees’ brazen use of the “C” word.

“Are we close? I wouldn’t say that at all,” one NFLPA* executive committee member told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports.  “Drew is the eternal optimist, and yeah, it’s closer than it was a week ago. Could it happen quickly? Yes. But I’d be extremely surprised.”

Another NFLPA* source tried to throw cold water on all the optimism: “Don’t read too much into that. We’re not there yet, and there are still a lot of issues in play.”

The news comes at the end of a long negotiating session which NFL.com’s Albert Breer describes as “very difficult.”  That is similar wording to what we heard at the end of last week’s session.

(Things always seem to be positive during the labor negotiations except when they actually negotiate.)

So what’s going on here?

Clearly,  following the labor play-by-play is not good for the average football fan’s health. Just remember every message is coded.

This message from the players appears to be:  We won’t agree to the hanging deal points just because we’re approaching the finish line. Silver’s sources insist that other issues besides the rookie wage scale need to be worked out including where the “legacy fund” for retired players will come from, in addition to health care and player safety concerns.  Some details of the “all revenue” pie model reportedly remain up in the air.

Silver writes that player negotiators are convinced owners have leaked to the press that things are “close” in an effort to create a sense of inevitability. That, in turn, is supposed to lead to public pressure for a deal.  (Brees and friends apparently tried to turn the tables Wednesday.)

In response to what the players believe are owner leaks, the NFLPA* chose to leak their own concerns to Silver in a possible effort to get the owners to compromise on a deal.

This is all part of the game.  A tiring and confusing game that has one clear loser: the fans.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
66 Responses to “NFLPA* disputes the notion that an agreement is close”
  1. tbbucs09 says: Jul 13, 2011 8:58 PM

Kill me

2. fmwarner says: Jul 13, 2011 9:04 PM

And so the daily dance continues.

Optimism with breakfast, pessimism with dinner.

3. jm11890 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:06 PM

was waiting for my daily glass of cold water

4. hobartbaker says: Jul 13, 2011 9:07 PM

Mo, everyone knows you look like a bald fountain gargoyle imported from Belarus, why make things worse?

5. mrmilstead says: Jul 13, 2011 9:07 PM

We fans should go on strike and lockout the NFL…. Dollars are all they understand

6. kane337 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:09 PM

*sigh* I’m sick and tired of the NFLPA disputing reports that they are close. They do it every week. Just get the darn deal done already.

7. bobbyd12 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:12 PM

There it is, the story I have been waiting for. Not only is the rookie wage scale a problem, the revenue sharing hasn’t been worked out, health and safety issues haven’t been worked out, because there is no union and the NFLPA isn’t allowed to negotiate that, funds for retired players and possibly the 18 game season may still be on the table. Now the owners are POd at Brees for coming out and saying things are close. Sounds to me like things are closer to falling apart then coming together. No deal till mid August.

8. brickwilly says: Jul 13, 2011 9:12 PM

Typical union will say anything to sound good.

9. jmcgoblue says: Jul 13, 2011 9:12 PM

Yeah, these guys on both sides need to just keep their mouths shut and make it happen. I’m tired of them making public comments one way or the other. They take the public for idiots.

10. drgfri says: Jul 13, 2011 9:13 PM

What bunch of clowns these guys are! I guess the players association would rather we focus on Hines Ward drunk driving, or Roethlisberger assaulting coeds, or Mark Sanchez dating high schoolers. Can’t anyone let the fans talk about and hope for real football?

11. greenbay4ever says: Jul 13, 2011 9:13 PM

I am so sick of this. I already making other plans with my football money. Took me a long time to get back to baseball after the strike. I an already loosing interest in this season. If they miss games it might take longer to get me back to football. Players and owners are causing major damage to the game

12. p4hbiz says: Jul 13, 2011 9:15 PM

I heard my dude Al Davis was there to put everything in shape for the NFL.

GO RAIDERS!!

13. tommyf15 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:17 PM

I’ll never understand why a person would take any stock in the daily “A deal is close / no it isn’t” stuff.

Just assume there’s no deal until there is one. There’s no “five year line” in this.

14. steelybills says: Jul 13, 2011 9:18 PM

I’m starting to believe that Albert Breer is a phony, how much can he know? All I have ever seen him do is sit outside whatever building the Reps are in…then nothing. No quality reporting, no real insight, just an air of superiority and maybe a quick tidbit he “are we there yetted” out of someone with actual significance!

15. siggy00 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:20 PM

Cue up Don Meredith

16. shadowrider2005 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:20 PM

Just get it done

17. backuppunter says: Jul 13, 2011 9:20 PM

yeah yeah, it’s just classic negotiating. neither side wants the other side to feel like they are winning. so long as the regular season starts on time, i am actually happy with the compromises that are rumored to have happened. i think it’s going to end up being a pretty fair deal for both sides. but we’ll see….we’ll see.

18. eagles83 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:22 PM

Ugh, Shut it and get it done!

No one f’in cares about anything other than football!

19. imatulsadawg says: Jul 13, 2011 9:22 PM

I just wish these dudes spent as much time negotiating as they did posturing to influence the fans. Somebody tell them turnip trucks went the way of the 8 track and 4 lb cell phones.

20. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: Jul 13, 2011 9:24 PM

I’m burnt out.

21. imjinbrdgr says: Jul 13, 2011 9:25 PM

closefarclosefarclosefar
    PLEASE SHUT UP

22. trbowman says: Jul 13, 2011 9:25 PM

lol, eff them

23. elleclouds says: Jul 13, 2011 9:26 PM

Shoots self…….Too many updates yada yada make me go crazy…

24. sorozco says: Jul 13, 2011 9:27 PM

Tired of this crap. I’m boycotting this year as much as I loved football. I won’t go to any games or watch them on tv. I’ll also ditch fantasy football.

I’m sure it won’t matter in the end but I won’t support this bs.

25. illwillthemick says: Jul 13, 2011 9:28 PM

were very close.. no were not that close.. now were very close.. no were not very close… blah blah blah.. all these guys are clowns..

26. shian11 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:30 PM

GET IT DONE!!!! (for the nflpa* and NFL, that was secret code for “GET IT DONE”

27. jerricho89 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:30 PM

Yeah, both sides are really trying to get the fans on their side because, you know, the fans have so much control over the terms of the final settlement…

28. mook68 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:31 PM

Honestly I am done with this. I hope they cancel the season. I believe life will go on without these morons.

29. scott8nj says: Jul 13, 2011 9:32 PM

I love the fans strike idea. They always justify the ridiculous amounts of money they make by saying it’s the entertainment business. Well, the show must go on! Enough of this BS.

30. rugdog100 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:33 PM

Breese is stupid to say anything like that anyway. Just get it done and then talk about it.

31. riverhorsey says: Jul 13, 2011 9:35 PM

F football

32. purpleman527 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:36 PM

So are we still sticking with that July 17 deadline thingy that was put out there yesterday?

This whole thing is smelling like a big fat F you that comes out of left field…….wait for it……..

33. wizgoblin says: Jul 13, 2011 9:37 PM

This is seriously retarded. On the day a deal is announced the NFLPA will say they aren’t close.

34. austinbrownsfan says: Jul 13, 2011 9:39 PM

I want my life back …

35. jefferee101 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:40 PM

Tbbucs09 is right.

Kill me.

Hahahaha

36. lovesportsandsurfing says: Jul 13, 2011 9:41 PM

Lol…told you all two years ago…no NFL in 2011.

37. kwalk4780 says: Jul 13, 2011 9:43 PM

These people are amazing. Its the rookie wage scale for christ sake. It’s not that hard.

38. virger says: Jul 13, 2011 9:45 PM

what if you finished those team checklists instead of reporting on the inevitable “oh we’re not close at all” response

39. gimmeabruschi says: Jul 13, 2011 9:47 PM

This is so tedious. When the moment of truth arrives, the players will give up the trivial details remaining.

Do these clown negotiators think the players will actually be willing to lose game checks over these chump change issues?

This is all drama and posturing folks. Ignore it. Get ready for things to commence within a week.

I’m sort of hoping for the players to be stupid enough to lose game checks. They deserve it.

40. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Jul 13, 2011 9:48 PM

So the NFLPA is saying there won’t be football anytime soon?

Pro Foosball Talk! let’s go.

41. duanethomas says: Jul 13, 2011 9:49 PM

hobartbaker says:
    Jul 13, 2011 9:07 PM

LMAO!!!!!

42. woodyg says: Jul 13, 2011 9:52 PM

Wow !! ….. Just Wow !!! ……

43. mayfieldroadboy says: Jul 13, 2011 9:56 PM

So many reporters reporting reports from “unnamed sources” reporting the NFL’s reporting is a ruse trying to create the feeling of inevitability to which the NFLPA* should concede to the tsunami of positive reporting.

If reporters will not name their sources, then at least report whether the “unnamed source” is a player’s advocate or an owner’s mouthpiece. If the media wants to give us spin, then tell us what hand is spinning the top.

44. eagleearl says: Jul 13, 2011 9:56 PM

mrmilstead says:
    Jul 13, 2011 9:07 PM

I agree, But most of the fans don’t. I brought this up last week and everyone either disagreed or laughed, The joke is on the fans we are being played like a fiddle. I say screw the NFL if they can’t settle by the weekend I am done. If more fans followed this example there would be no money to divide. Without the fans there is no NFL!!!!

Wake up people

45. skoobyfl says: Jul 13, 2011 9:57 PM

I’m personally getting sick of reading the same stories repeated here. Let’s make a deal, come up with something to report that everyone can agree on or don’t report it.

There is no new news here folks, 4 + months running.

46. bangyourhead4 says: Jul 13, 2011 10:05 PM

This is ridiculous. These IDIOTS are just toying with us fans, and that’s both sides. NFL and NFLPA* need to shut their mouths and stop leaking info. and just get this charade done. I want my damn football already!!

47. sampetros says: Jul 13, 2011 10:10 PM

I called this last week. There will be no deal until we start losing regular season games. I knew that Brees was using the Media. I would be shocked if the season starts on time. They both don’t care about the emotions of the Fans and are using us by getting our hopes up for their own selfish reasons. Don’t fall for it like suckers because at this point everyone needs to wake up and know that this is going to take a long while.

I know that most of you will give me a thumbs down because I believe we will miss regular season games, and that’s fine, but I bet you that once we come to week 2 of Pre-Season and negotiations still going on and bearing no fruit of a Deal, you all will become believers that missing Regular Season Games will happen.

Once our 1st regular season game is at risk you can take this to the bank that litigation has always been in the plans of the NFL and the courts may have to decide this outcome until we get to Week 4 then the owners will most likely get really serious. The only obstacle that the owner’s fear right now is the Brady’s Anti-Trust Case as there are too many unknowns and once this case gains speed Owner’s will get serious.

Lastly, Goodell and Smith seem to be in a position that if either one walks away from this as a loser than that person might or will be out of a job. They both can’t trust each other and the only outcome that can be positive for us fans is that they need to get together ALONE and work out a deal that they both can win and that either one can be called a loser in their prospective camps.

48. mjkelly77 says: Jul 13, 2011 10:12 PM

Check the picture of DeMoron. Only baldies wear hats when it’s a sweltering 90 degrees outside.

49. gimmeabruschi says: Jul 13, 2011 10:17 PM

Starting this Sunday the 17th, for every week they go without an agreement I’m in on ignoring the season for a week for each week past that they don’t have a deal.

Whatever their damned differences are at this point, SPLIT IT DOWN THE DAMNED MIDDLE, STFU, AND SIGN THE DAMNED DEAL!

What a collection of ass clowns.

50. Corey Hedberg says: Jul 13, 2011 10:21 PM

mrmilstead,

You are my new hero. Instead of posting our comments blasting one side or the other on blogs such as this one, let’s show them the only comment they will understand. No NFL games for as long as the lockout ends up lasting.

51. chillyphins says: Jul 13, 2011 10:57 PM

Time to put in a half day tomorrow and call it a work week. Hopefully they’re not too exhausted from their grueling work weeks.

52. zizzod says: Jul 13, 2011 10:57 PM

I feel like jamming a pencil in my eye

53. dannymac17 says: Jul 13, 2011 11:00 PM

these morons have to be reading this and all the angst of the fans. why are you single handily turning on your fan base with these statements?

dont say anything until a deal is done.

dont say your closer, dont say your father.

shut your mouths and get to work you cretins.

54. wigwam101 says: Jul 13, 2011 11:10 PM

Does anyone really believe that either side cares about the fans? I don’t.

55. carlsbadboltfan says: Jul 14, 2011 1:00 AM

Yet another kick to the genitals with the NFLPA* yelling “PSYCHE!”.

56. mikeb4u says: Jul 14, 2011 1:11 AM

If both sides are really serious, then they will work through this coming weekend–no days off until it’s done.

57. endzonezombie says: Jul 14, 2011 1:25 AM

When the Screen Actors Guild went on strike – and caused cancellation or delay of many TV shows and movie productions – how many people noticed or cared? We just watched reruns and old movies. The longer this lockout remains, the longer the Packers stay World Champions, and the longer division and conference champions stay atop the perch. Time stands still. E.g., Seattle will stay NFC West champions for longer than they deserve…lol.

58. psdaleno says: Jul 14, 2011 2:55 AM

cant believe how my respect for drew brees dropped so far within a two year span.

59. ks718 says: Jul 14, 2011 4:48 AM

How about using all the time spent talking to the media about being close/not close on negotiating instead? I want to hate the NFL & players for this, but as soon as the new CBA is agreed upon I will be right back like nothing ever happened. That sucks and only fuels more of their combined greed.

60. kiltherl says: Jul 14, 2011 6:43 AM

(SPLASH) AH! nice and cold

61. PFTiswhatitis says: Jul 14, 2011 7:37 AM

This whole strike/lockout is a complete farce. The players and owners both want us (and each other) to think they are committed yet the entire thing will occur and be resolved during the off-season. Yeah an off-season strike – how terrible! That just punctuates how these guys live in their own little world that is NOTHING like the real world. Real unions strike and miss paychecks. People suffer. This strike/lockout is an insult to working people everywhere. Reform is needed.

Both sides are completely uncommitted. This will be worked out shortly though I would love to see them start missing checks.

62. oldhamletman says: Jul 14, 2011 10:13 AM

I knew Brees was full of it because, well, he always is…. it’s more posturing…

the Players walked out, sued, and shammed…. the lockout was in response to that….

I’ll bet that Brees is completely lost and there isn’t even a viable Player offer on the table… they are still far apart on revenue split because the Players are still delusional that they are business partners…..

63. dramadad says: Jul 14, 2011 11:43 AM

Does anyone see the parallel between this and the debt ceiling “negotiations” in Washington, or wherever it is debated? No one is thinking about John Q. Public or John Q. Fan except as a group of pawns (serfs) or, si vous prefere, herd of cattle to be prodded here or there and taken advantage of at the whim of the wealthy and/or powerful?

The NFL is not the only place that the negotiators need to actually negotiate rather than say “this is the way we want it and it’s the only thing we’ll accept”. Give it up for the people! Quit saying you have their interests of heart! BS! Prove it! Prove it!! PROVE IT!!!

I am about to click the “Submit” button. They should too.

64. millerdog says: Jul 14, 2011 12:15 PM

I have had it with both sides. I am giving up on the pros and heading to watch College games. No crying about how many millions more I can make and jacking up the cost to balance out what everyone lost. Cost to much anyway. Go College Football.

65. saywhatwhy2011 says: Jul 14, 2011 6:44 PM

People, it’s all about the money! The lawyers are laughing every night on the way to their banks!

66. edcol3 says: Jul 15, 2011 12:01 AM

NEWS FLASH….the next Super Bowl will be played on April Fool’s Day…lol…

I agree with this fan strike idea. If only 100 fans or so showed up every week at every NFL stadium after all is said and done, the owners will get the message and there will never be another lockout.