Brian Cushing’s agent says James Harrison should be disciplined by Steelers

brian-cushing-fn Getty Images

Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Texans linebacker Brian Cushing along with somewhere between 10 and 1,000 other NFL players, doesn’t like the criticism that Steelers linebacker James Harrison leveled against Cushing in Harrison’s scorched-earth Men’s Journal interview.

And since those between-10-and-1,000 other clients don’t include Harrison, Rosenhaus can say so.

“I thought [Harrison’s] comments were way out of line,” Rosenhaus told Joe Rose of WQAM in Miami.  “He doesn’t know the first thing about Brian Cushing or Brian Cushing’s situation.  And to me that’s an awful thing to do to talk about people that you don’t know, and that you don’t know the first thing about them or their situation.  And I think that the league should discipline players who just run their mouth and insult other people and take shots at other people, really in a careless fashion and in a way that is uneducated.”

Rosenhaus believes that the Steelers should discipline Harrison for conduct detrimental to the team, even though the comments came during the lockout.

Rosenhaus also waxed philosophically on the issue of criticizing others in an open forum.  “I don’t believe that anybody should go public and knock other people,” Rosenhaus said (as he want public to knock Harrison).  “If you have something negative to say about people, then you should do it in person.  You should do it privately, you should do it face-to-face, eye-to-eye.  I’m not a fan of using the media to rip on other people.  That’s not my philosophy.”

Moving forward, that quote could come in handy the next time Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco, DeSean Jackson, or any of Drew’s other clients decide to use the media to rip on other people.  Especially if they get fined for conduct detrimental to the team and Rosenhaus is defending them against the punishment.

Meanwhile, the guy from Men’s Journal who did the interview of Harrison was on The Dan Patrick Show moments ago.  Paul Solotaroff told Patrick that Harrison accused players other than Cushing than being on steroids, but that the other names didn’t make it into the article — apparently because Cushing is the only one of the group that has tested positive for performance-enhancing substances.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Brian Cushing’s agent says James Harrison should be disciplined by Steelers”
  1. fooch21 says: Jul 14, 2011 10:39 AM

Is this guy serious? Damn near everyone on this guy’s client list has caused some kind of trouble to their team, including Cushing. I’m willing to bet he didn’t think any of his guys should have been disciplined by the league(or thrown in jail). And they were guilty of more than exercising their rights.

2. djrigg0616 says: Jul 14, 2011 10:40 AM

I can’t wait to hear Harrison’s comments about Drew Rosenhaus…

3. gdeli says: Jul 14, 2011 10:40 AM

I would do it in public too. Get your point across to many people without the consequence of harrison putting you/me /him in the hospital cause he can’t handle it. harrison’s a violent man. scum.

4. tundey says: Jul 14, 2011 10:41 AM

Is that any doubt that Cushing was/is juicing?

5. harmcityhomer says: Jul 14, 2011 10:41 AM

Harrison looks like he is more juiced out of his mind than anyone, but Cushing did get accused of juicing many times before he was caught.

6. biggerballz says: Jul 14, 2011 10:42 AM

without the steelers there would be no news besides lockout news, let this guy keep talking I love it.

7. austskate says: Jul 14, 2011 10:43 AM

What specifically did Harrison say about Cushing? Just that he used steroids? Hasn’t that already been established. I’m not going to bother reading the article.

8. jw731 says: Jul 14, 2011 10:43 AM

Harrison’s an idiot…..But the fact Rosenhaus is telling a team to discipline a player, is ambulance chasing, agent style in it’s finest form…Hell, most of his clients are just as much an idiot….

9. comeonnowguys says: Jul 14, 2011 10:49 AM

Whatever your opinion on the level of PEDs running through Harrison’s system, Harrison wasn’t’ the one who played the “tumor scare” card when he knew all along the tests were right. Brian Cushing was.

Even if Harrison tests positive, his comments against Cushing and still wouldn’t be worse than Cushing’s actions.

Cushing and Rosenhaus playing the righteous victim in this just smacks of hypocrisy.

10. buckhuckster says: Jul 14, 2011 10:52 AM

Drew Rosenhaus should ask the Texans to punish Cushing for being a crappy IDP fantasy player during the 2010 season.

11. philsimmsisadouche says: Jul 14, 2011 10:53 AM

T.O. does it and Rosenhaus calls it “refreshing”. Harrison does it and it’s out of line. Drew Rosenhaus is a P.O.S. just like a lot of his clients including Owens and Ocho Stinko. This guy has ZERO credibility.

12. goldeelox says: Jul 14, 2011 10:54 AM

James’s agent could beat up Brian’s agent.

13. jlneil30 says: Jul 14, 2011 10:55 AM

People need toget their facts straight. Cushing didn’t test positive for PED’s, but for a masking agent. I’m not saying it was right, but at least accuse the guy of the act for which he was guilty.

14. hobartbaker says: Jul 14, 2011 10:57 AM

Cushing never juiced, Harrison always has. That’s the ridiculous irony of the situation. The agents know who is fixing and who isn’t. I bet the majority of insiders know that Harrison is projecting his own behavior here.

15. hobartbaker says: Jul 14, 2011 10:59 AM

In addition to being an ongoing embarrassment to the game and the league, Harrison’s delusions of grandeur are crossing the line to the point where he qualifies as a menace to the public, I think. It is time for the Steelers and the league to wash their hands of him once and for all.

16. karlpilkington says: Jul 14, 2011 11:00 AM

Lets see:

With all that Harrison has said about his team mates and everything else, can someone PLEASE ask him where HE was during the superbowl.

Take a look at yourself first before you start to throw stones.

I smell implosion and then a firing.

17. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 14, 2011 11:00 AM

I don’t see how Harrison benefits from insulting all the people he did. There must be something seriously wrong with his brain if he believed any good was going to come from his recent verbal outburst…

Psychiatric Evaluation.

18. nickynick04 says: Jul 14, 2011 11:03 AM

Where was Harrison in the Super Bowl. The Packers no name O line made him look like the soft SPEARING artist that he is. Spearing has always been illegal. So he is a soft cheater aka dirty player

19. hobartbaker says: Jul 14, 2011 11:03 AM

You can’t compare Harrison to any of Rosenhaus’ clients. Egregious is borderline psychopath, without any vestige of humor or cleverness. Other primates may not be wiser than James, but they certainly look wiser.

20. Kaz says: Jul 14, 2011 11:06 AM

I want to hear what J.H said about everyone one else. Men’s Journal will break sells records if they released the full scoop. I’ll be interested if he commented on Bens bathroom/hotel adventures. And so what he got off Stealer fans. So did O.J and Casey…

21. dieharddolfan6493 says: Jul 14, 2011 11:08 AM

(sign) I miss football……….

22. philsimmsisadouche says: Jul 14, 2011 11:23 AM

jlneil30 says:
    Jul 14, 2011 10:55 AM

——————————————————–

Apparently you need to get the facts straight. Actually, Cushing tested positive for HCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, which steroid users typically take after a cycle to “kick start” their endocrine system because of the shut down caused by using steroids. After which Cushing tried to blame the high levels of this hormone, which is only produced naturally in pregnant women, on his over-training. And, when that didn’t hold water he went to “maybe I have a tumor”, which also turned out to be BS. The guy’s been a known juicer since college and will flame out in the pros just like Shawne Merriman and for the same reason. If he can’t use the juice, he won’t be able to perform at a high level.

23. granadafan says: Jul 14, 2011 11:26 AM

““If you have something negative to say about people, then you should do it in person. You should do it privately, you should do it face-to-face, eye-to-eye. I’m not a fan of using the media to rip on other people. That’s not my philosophy.”
    —————————————————————————————-

What a hypocrite, that lying lawyer, Rosenhaus is. Notice how he’s using the media to rip Harrison instead of saying it to his face (with 1000 of his clients standing behind him)?

24. Deb says: Jul 14, 2011 11:37 AM

@Kaz …

It’s not about Ben getting off–it’s about a stack of evidence showing he didn’t do the crime, which is why he was not arrested or charged. That’s different than being charged and having juries unable to convict. It wouldn’t matter if Harrison accused him of being the Boston Strangler. His opinion wouldn’t change the evidence.

You know, Harrison is doing a lot of talking about Roethlisberger, and I agree that Ben has been a big jerk. But when all that hit the fan, he apologized to fans, to teammates, and to the organization. The commissioner pointed out in his suspension letter that Ben wasn’t guilty of assault but his behavior still reflected poorly on the league. Rather than fight the suspension, he shut his mouth and served it. I’m not a big fan of Ben’s. He’s immature and I’ve never thought he was a hard worker. But at least he didn’t tear the locker room apart. And he took full blame for a Super Bowl loss that could be laid on a lot of people.

Harrison ripping on his teammates and other players in the league … that’s T.O. stuff (which makes Rosenhaus a huge hypocrite). I don’t care about the lockout. He’s a Steeler, and at minimum, the Steelers need to suspend him … if his career with the team is even salvageable.

25. CKL says: Jul 14, 2011 11:43 AM

Another mystery comment disappearance for me. All I did was agree with another poster on Ronsehaus and say it was unprofessional for agents to comment on other agents’ clients publicly.And say how I was not liking that he reps a player on the team I root for. No curse words or slurs. At this point I’d almost rather find out what’s behind that than win the lottery. :)

26. macgee10 says: Jul 14, 2011 11:45 AM

I think Harrison and Rosenhaus are both out there in lala land.

27. r8rsfan says: Jul 14, 2011 11:59 AM

Nice pic of Zach absorbing the blow and holding onto the ball. Most underrated TE in the game.

28. snnyjcbs says: Jul 14, 2011 12:00 PM

Funny how the Nation and the NFL has turned into nothing but a bunch of wimps.

Have a player that plays the game the way it was always meant to be played and speaks his mind with no BS and all the WHIMPS start coming out of the woodwork asking for someone to please scold him.

Maybe with Little Ben Harrison lost all respect for him when he heard he was chasing children around the room with his tool out yelling, “you can do what you want with it, you can do what you want with it”

In a Nation of Fakes, Cowards and BS it is a nice change of pace to know there are still real men out there. The others?, Wimps.

29. pirate49 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:07 PM

James Harrison, a cheap shot artist on and off the field.

30. jlneil30 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:33 PM

philsimmsisadouche says:
    Jul 14, 2011 11:23 AM
    jlneil30 says:
    Jul 14, 2011 10:55 AM

——————————————————–

Which is exactly what I said. HCG, in itself, is not a PED, but a masking agent used to level out hormone levels. Nobody takes HCG to improve performance. Thanks for helping me make my point.

31. m2karateman says: Jul 14, 2011 12:35 PM

…and if Harrison was Drew’s client, Drew would be defending him through all hours of the night.

Both of them are asshats and they both need to stop talking to the media.

32. axespray says: Jul 14, 2011 12:39 PM

tundey says:Jul 14, 2011 10:41 AM
    “Is that any doubt that Cushing was/is juicing?”

Was there any doubt that Big Ben got away with rape (twice!)?

Or Casey Anthony and OJ got away with murder….

33. lawboy2000 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:43 PM

Cushing won the AP Defensive Play of the Year award when he was proven to be juiced up and the next year he disappeared. I think those circumstances speak for themselves.

34. duece5 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:48 PM

It will all be ok in the end, because as Cushing said about Harrison, Cushing is “praying for him”.

I think Cushing meant “prey”……

35. txndave says: Jul 14, 2011 1:09 PM

I Man cushings a beast.. He doesn’t need roids. Look for him too have another probowl year in 2011-12

36. philsimmsisadouche says: Jul 14, 2011 1:19 PM

jlneil30 says:
    Jul 14, 2011 12:33 PM

————————————————————

A Masking agent? A masking agent is something that helps someone pass a urinalysis test for PEDs. Not an hormone that someone takes once he’s off a steroid cycle. What Cushing took was a hormone. Get a clue.

37. dontlikecravens says: Jul 14, 2011 1:23 PM

Drew, I believe that based on your own statement, you have something of which you would like get off your chest, personally to Mr. Harrison. Also, you may want to start off with Mr. Harrison. It might be a little less painful that way.

38. discosucs2005 says: Jul 14, 2011 1:39 PM

So, I’m guessing he thinks TO should have been punished when he called Jeff Garcia gay? Or when Chad Ochosinco says anything?

Although it should be noted he said the Steelers should punish James, not the league. There is a difference there.

But, still a very hypocritical stance.

39. comeonnowguys says: Jul 14, 2011 2:07 PM

@jneil

I wonder if you’d be this vigilant about parsing out the facts if it were Jerome Harrison that tested positive instead of Brian Cushing.

40. polishkingski says: Jul 14, 2011 2:17 PM

its guys like james harrison that make pro football fascinating to me. he was asked questions for a magazine article and then answered them. dude can say what he wants, it is his right to his own opinion. i am surprized that the right to bear arms crowd was not impressed by that pic showing j.m with his big iron but thats probably because he is a black guy instead of a nice white gun nut like jarred allen.

41. jlneil30 says: Jul 14, 2011 2:33 PM

philsimmsisadouche says:
    Jul 14, 2011 1:19 PM
    jlneil30 says:
    Jul 14, 2011 12:33 PM

————————————————————

Actually, a masking agent for steroids is any chemical that’s put in the body to balance out the hormonal imbalances that occur due to cteroid usage. Therefore, yes, HCG is a masking agent. Nobody’s performance is improved due to the use of HCG by itself.

42. jlneil30 says: Jul 14, 2011 2:37 PM

comeonnowguys says:
    Jul 14, 2011 2:07 PM
    @jneil

If it were James Harrison, I would be saying the same thing. As I said in my original post, I certainly don’t condone it, and did not approve of Cushing using in the first place. I would just hope that people who are journalists would represent the facts. He didn’t get busted for using PEDs, but for a chemical that’s used to mask the effects of abusing steroids.

43. fringetastic says: Jul 14, 2011 3:11 PM

And there we have it! Super Agent Drew supports punishing players for bad behavior during the lockout. How many of his charges have gotten into trouble?

44. Chris Guest says: Jul 14, 2011 3:29 PM

I love the argument from Drew that Harrison’s comments about Cushing are conduct detrimental to the team? What team? The Texans?

45. stixzidinia says: Jul 14, 2011 4:18 PM

2 things Cushing’s agent should consider:

1) Cushing has a well documented history of steroid use dating back to high school.

2) We have freedom of speech in this country. Harrison can say whatever he likes. In this instance, the evidence (and positive drug tests) back him up.

46. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jul 14, 2011 4:26 PM

lawboy2000 says:
    Jul 14, 2011 12:43 PM
    —————————————–
    Similar logic indicts Harrison. Unable to even make an NFL roster, and then BAM! DPOY.

47. macjacmccoy says: Jul 14, 2011 5:10 PM

I was with you when you were making comparissons between what Rosenhaus is calling Harrison out for and what his own clients have been known to do. And that he should remember it next time when one of his clients calls another player out in the media or is fined for conduct detrimental to the team. Until you singled Desean Jackson in relation to those things.

Desean may be a flashy and a hot dog and does and says some immature things. But he has never called out another player in public and in fact in most of his interviews he says complimentary things about the opponents team and players. And when it comes to him and conduct detrimental to the team you couldnt be further off. He has been a model teammate. He works extremely hard, does what ever hes told, has great relationships with his teammates and his coaches, he is a leader on the team, he doesnt complain about not getting ball enough or under/over thrown passes, he participates in all the orginazations pr campaigns, he does his interviews and is very respectful to and well liked by the notriously brutal philadelphia media, and also is involved in the community out reach programs like stop bullying.

Andy Reid wouldnt be jumping up in the air bumping chest with the kid if he was problem with the team. Andy Reid never acted like that with another player not even Donovan. And you dont get that kind of reactions from Reid unless your a good teammate. Even when he had that bad game last year and Andy Reid chewed him out in front of the entire team he did what a good teammate should do when the coach is yelling at you, nothing. He sat there and took it, he didnt argue with Reid or make excuses. Reporters who were in the room said he was visibily upset. Afterwards in an interview he owned up to it said it was all on him and nobody else and said he wouldnt let it happen again. Players that get suspended for CDTTT dont do that. They yell and scream and blame other people.

Yes he might do some dumb things sometimes but its mostly just immature bravado. Its a shame that alot of you people cant or wont l99k past it. Because underneath all that is a very good teammate, member of the NFL community, and a legitimately good person.

48. Deb says: Jul 14, 2011 7:21 PM

@snnyjcbs …

That’s one of the more idiotic posts I’ve ever read on PFT. There were no children in that club. There was just a 20-year-old woman, who followed Roethlisberger all night, telling him she was “down to f*ck.” (And yes, she told him that as well as wearing it on her pin.) As far as I know, I’ve read all the witness statements taken in the CapCity club that night and not one witness related a situation such as you described. Ben may have acted like a jerk that night, but not to that degree.

And it doesn’t take a “real man” to ridicule his teammates and embarrass his organization in a magazine interview. If that’s your idea of manhood … clearly you have not achieved manhood.

49. rajbais says: Jul 14, 2011 10:45 PM

Rosenhaus is a hypocrite!!!!!!

His clients Clinton Portis, T.O., and Chad Ochocinco have ripped their own organizations and he’s crying over James Harrison ripping a lying, juicing client of his?????

I hope this guy gets decertified by the NFLPA for putting his head up his ass!!!!

50. paulieorkid says: Jul 17, 2011 12:45 PM

[1] Rosenhaus’ job is in large part, to suck the knobs of who will sign on the line that is dotted. Rosenhaus shamefully gets to slurping.

[2] If portraying these cash cows requires twisting the truth to even flat out lying – Rosenhaus unapologetically embraces this task. The guy is like Johnny Cochran, Jose Baez – or any high profile criminal defense attorneys. Truth is not what they seek, but it is what they try to convince others is their top priority …… all while raking in crazy bank manipulating those with lesser minds.