Stafford vows to play all 16 games

Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions Getty Images

In two NFL seasons, Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has played in 13 games, while missing 19 to injury. In 2011, Stafford insists, he’s going to play them all.

I’m going to play all 16,” Stafford told NFL.com.

Stafford’s confidence is admirable, but the truth is, his words are meaningless: He’s been injury prone so far in his brief NFL career, and he can’t just wish himself to health.

But Stafford insists that he’s been working like crazy this offseason to recover from shoulder surgery, and that he’ll be ready to go whenever the lockout ends.

“I rehabbed for about 10-12 weeks and I feel great now. I’ve been trying to fine-tune my game ever since,” Stafford said. “It was six days a week for 10-12 weeks, three to four hours a day in the facility, trying to get better. I pushed myself really hard and healed up a lot quicker than most people, which was a blessing and great for me so I can start working on my game again. I really don’t think about my shoulder anymore.”

But Lions fans will still think about Stafford’s shoulder, until he comes through on his 16-game promise.

Permalink 75 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
75 Responses to “Stafford vows to play all 16 games”
  1. thephantomstranger says: Jul 14, 2011 12:10 PM

Or 8 games, whichever the case may be.

2. doowix says: Jul 14, 2011 12:14 PM

I’ve been drinking the Lions Kool-Aid every year since I was about 8 years old, and man, it tastes like someone doubled up on the sugar this year.

GO LIONS!

3. guinnessbucsgod says: Jul 14, 2011 12:17 PM

That still doesn’t get him a new LT.

4. schmitty2 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:18 PM

I hope he can because he has a bright future but that O-line has got to protect him consistently. He can’t take many more shots to the shoulder area

5. jw731 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:20 PM

And i vow to have Mila Kunis make me breakfast….lol….Talk is cheap…….

6. benh999 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:22 PM

If he plays all 16 games, what with the Lions use to excuse another losing season?

7. nolanorth says: Jul 14, 2011 12:23 PM

I vow to bang 99 of MAXIMS top 100 in 10 days..

BANK IT!!!

Doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen..

8. johnabis says: Jul 14, 2011 12:25 PM

If Stafford can play all 16 games (or atleast 13 of them) then the Lions will make the playoffs. And no I’m not even a lions fan.

9. packerfan12 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:26 PM

I love Stafford, he’s tough, and a fierce competitor, I can still see him throwing that touchdown pass with his left arm just hanging down, but it’s easy to say this when you’re not getting hit by Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, or Jared Allen on every drive…..

10. rccola39 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:27 PM

Fantasy domination coming up.

11. Exiled1 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:29 PM

“I’m going to beat Little Mac” said Glass Joe

12. The Prophet says: Jul 14, 2011 12:29 PM

What a stupidly immature statement to make. How can anyone promise or guarantee that? First problem is, if he promises to play all 16 games, that somehow infers a choice is involved. If that’s his logic, he chose not to play in the past. And secondly you cannot prevent an injury (freakish or minor) by willpower or belief. Just when I thought the Lions were going places, their child-like QB goes and shows how he’s not going to be the one to lead this team.

13. feldman9000 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:30 PM

You can’t joke about the Lions for much longer…

Get your Oline to do their job, and he won’t get hurt. Hell maybe you’ll run the ball too.

14. carlgerbschmidt says: Jul 14, 2011 12:30 PM

Always a good goal, Matty. But I think my Packers may have something else in mind for you…

15. axespray says: Jul 14, 2011 12:31 PM

It’s Possible…
    Kellen Winslow JR I think used to be that “injury” guy for his first few years, his body got mature, he played all 16 games last year (I think).

Aaron Rodgers was that skinny kid, his body got mature, he got tougher and what not.

I think stafford can probably mature maybe, idk.

16. dawkinseffect says: Jul 14, 2011 12:35 PM

For the Lions sake I really hope he does. Its time the team shows promise. They look good on paper, but that means nothing when its time to play.

17. david7590 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:35 PM

Chad Pennington V2.0

18. xanderslugger says: Jul 14, 2011 12:36 PM

I hope so. I’m thinking about drafting him first on my fantasy league. I draft #8 overall. Um hum… I sure do. Yeah huh! Don’t Hate!

19. Knightlines says: Jul 14, 2011 12:40 PM

There wont be 16 games to play.

20. ramofsteel says: Jul 14, 2011 12:44 PM

I hate the label “injury prone.” It’s football. Every player is prone to injury. Have a 300+ pound DT fall on your shoulder and see what happens.

21. barnesaintnoble says: Jul 14, 2011 12:44 PM

I am still going to hold my breath every time he takes a hit or gets sacked. Hope he can stay healthy.

22. savocabol1 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:44 PM

Was he talking about real NFL or the video game?

23. Deb says: Jul 14, 2011 12:47 PM

Bless his heart, he’s not at fault for the games he’s missed–and as you said, he can’t will himself to an injury-free year. But I’ll be sending extra prayers his way. Stafford seems to have the right stuff, and I’d love to see what the Lions could do if he were able to play a full season. They’ve built an impressive defense, have a new attitude. As in the NFL’s glory days, the teams of the NFC North promise to be among the most competitive in the league.

24. jtam963 says: Jul 14, 2011 12:51 PM

Hahahaha says J peppers!!

Dude is made of glass, everyone rips cutler for getting hurt. Cutler was sacked the most and some hard hits. Yet never came out until he tore something.

This dude is a wimp

Bear DOWN

25. kusheadpotman says: Jul 14, 2011 12:54 PM

We’ll see if you can make it past the Bucs in game one. Here’s hoping you make Adrian Clayborn and DaQuan Bowers first NFL game very memorable!

26. bjb2865 says: Jul 14, 2011 1:03 PM

I hope he does…because I plan on passing up all the big name Qb’s for him in fantasy football drafts. LOL

27. dagon27 says: Jul 14, 2011 1:04 PM

Nice goal for Stafford. Baby steps. Make it through half a season, then 10-11 games…

Frankly, it probably doesn’t matter. Shaun Hill, while of considerably less arm strength, is probably one of the better backups in the league. What he lacks in finesse he makes up for in moxie. The kind of guy who can step in for 5 or 6 games and still get your team to the playoffs (a la Jeff Garcia as the Eagles backup a few years ago).

28. kingjoe1 says: Jul 14, 2011 1:05 PM

That is easy to say, when he knows it will end up as a 12 game season this year.

29. xerocc says: Jul 14, 2011 1:08 PM

I hope he does.

30. gcsuk says: Jul 14, 2011 1:09 PM

He’s planning to play all 16 games…meaning he is planning on another season where the Lions miss the playoffs.

There’s a confidence booster.

31. buckhuckster says: Jul 14, 2011 1:17 PM

“I’m going to play all 16”

Julius Peppers: “Wanna bet?”

32. woodyg says: Jul 14, 2011 1:21 PM

When the NFL changes to the “National Flag-Football League” will Stafford have a chance to play all 16 regular season games …… Even then it’s unlikely ……

It’s sad that da Lions are still looking for a replacement for Bobby Layne from all the way back from 1957….. Unfortunately in a couple of years, Stafford will be scratched off the list & join Joey Harrington, Charlie Batch, Scott Mitchell, Rodney Peete, etc., etc., etc. ….. Maybe it’s time to bring back Eric Hipple ……

33. jw731 says: Jul 14, 2011 1:24 PM

@nolanorth
    ————————————
    Even if you hit two of the maxim 100, you should be the next senator from the state of michigan….This is a man with priorities in check……….

34. mswravens says: Jul 14, 2011 1:28 PM

I really like this kid, love his fire & passion, and really hope he stays healthy. I agree with lots of other posters that it would be nice to see what the Lions can accomplish with their starting QB for a full season!

Hey, we’re Americans – we love the underdog. My affection for the Bears (minus Cutler and Urlacher) aside, Go get ‘em Lions!!!

35. rayvens says: Jul 14, 2011 1:30 PM

————————————
    And i would still take him over Sanchez.

36. bluepike says: Jul 14, 2011 1:31 PM

Knocking his offensive line doesn’t lend itself to the truth. On two of the injury occasions he was running around during an extended play. Also, the same worries were attributed toward Sam Bradford after he injured himself twice in college. Stafford has had the same doctor – the same procedure – and the same recovery program as Bradford. They both “toned-up” and lost a lot of baby-fat. Bradford played a full season last year. Time will tell for Stafford.

37. phinfan says: Jul 14, 2011 1:33 PM

Then I’m not fantasy drafting him, he just cursed himself.

38. schmitty2 says: Jul 14, 2011 1:33 PM

xanderslugger says:
    Jul 14, 2011 12:36 PM

If your the smartest guy in your fantasy league can I please join ASAP?

39. purpleguy says: Jul 14, 2011 1:37 PM

I understand that Stafford has been getting pre-season prognostication advice from John Kitna.

40. We'reFineThere says: Jul 14, 2011 1:55 PM

Matthew Stafford haircuts in DC pull in hot chicks for some reason.

41. flapjackdaddy says: Jul 14, 2011 1:57 PM

Chip Peppers with a back, then.

42. kevinfromth says: Jul 14, 2011 1:57 PM

I wouldn’t bet the house on it, but I’d be willing to put half-a-paycheck on this guy fulfilling that promise. Tough guy, scary D-Line, Calvin Johnson. Lions don’t really look like the Lions right now.

It’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.

43. pastorinisflak says: Jul 14, 2011 2:05 PM

I guess he’s putting all of his eggs in the “No CBA coming soon” basket. Smart move Matt.

44. imatulsadawg says: Jul 14, 2011 2:07 PM

Dude does have a cannon for an arm. He needs to work on his pocket awareness and learn when to step out of bounds, slide, etc. Surely 2 years and 2 shoulder injuries have taught him that. If he stays healthy he should be a top 10 QB with the weapons at his disposal. We’ll see.

45. schmitty2 says: Jul 14, 2011 2:10 PM

kevinfromth says:
    Jul 14, 2011 1:57 PM

It’s not completely out of the realm of possibility

Calvin Johnson and their D-line are not responsible for protecting him

46. tdk24 says: Jul 14, 2011 2:26 PM

What is the deal with these Detroit QB’s making false predictions. Kitna, now Stafford?

47. hoobsher says: Jul 14, 2011 2:39 PM

*dislocates shoulder* DAMMIT!!

48. chace1986 says: Jul 14, 2011 2:48 PM

….in franchise mode on Madden 2012.

49. lionsmaverick says: Jul 14, 2011 3:02 PM

First of all, the Lions offensive line was 6th in the entire league last year for giving up sacks. look it up before you use Backus as a scapegoat.

Second of all, with Stafford staying healthy for the entire season will lead to a winning record and a wildcard birth. Write it down.

50. rugdog100 says: Jul 14, 2011 3:16 PM

Didn’t ” Paper Mache’ ” Stafford promise to play all 16 last year too?

51. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 14, 2011 3:36 PM

This is all BS, I’m a raider fan and I’m not this bad as Lions fans, all of you saying “write it down plaoffs” “wildcard” “11 wins” blah blah blah, your one of, if not the worst NFL franchises ever, you are in a division in which you won’t win ZERO CHANCE. You QB barely plays… your D was 21st in league in YPG, 17th in offense, so your an average team, mediocre, a “C” grade if you will. Has it been that bad that your team is competitive in losses and wins 6 games… 6-10 and now they will win 5 to 6 more games this year? OAK has been awful for 7 years and we won 8 games. was it more watchable and fun? yes, but i’m not saying were in the playoffs now all the sudden, actions speak louder than words. 9 wins won’t get you a wildcard in the NFC this year, so im sorry detroit don’t see you anymore than that and I was being nice.

52. tombradysponytail says: Jul 14, 2011 3:55 PM

@Deb says:

__________

I hate to say anything because you’re being so nice, but I think your meds might be off a bit. Lions have a chance to improve, Packers obviously are extremely talented and have as much chance as any team in recent history to repeat as Champions, but Bears. Still. Suck. And Vikings? Terrible, terrible, terrible… NFC NORTH is a two horse race, at best, and realistically, it’s a one trick (ACME Meat Packing) pony.

53. spartyfi says: Jul 14, 2011 4:10 PM

Time to defend my team:

kusheadpotman says: Jul 14, 2011 12:54 PM

———————————
    If your team can’t beat us with our 3rd string QB playing, how will they do it when we have our starter?

54. spartyfi says: Jul 14, 2011 4:15 PM

tombradysponytail: You’re too tight and cutting off circulation to the brain. The Bears won the NFC North last year. The Packers only made the playoffs because the Lions got them there by beating other teams. The Bears and Packers were in the NFC Championship game so how exactly do the Bears suck? I’m no Bears fan but your post was just way off my friend.

55. spartyfi says: Jul 14, 2011 4:18 PM

808Raider: your turn. People are high on the Lions because if you take the time to look at the scores of their games, you would see most of their losses were by a TD or less (7 of them to be exact). Here’s how much the Lions lost those 7 games by: 5, 3, 2, 8, 3(OT), 2, 4.

So, yes they were 6-10 but they kept all of these games close with their 2nd and 3rd string QB’s. So, take those scores and the fact that Stafford is back and that is how and why people can see them getting to 11 wins!

Don’t hate because you have the crypt keeper as an owner and nothing but degenerate gangsters as fans.

56. tokyosandblaster says: Jul 14, 2011 4:27 PM

Is this Stafford guy their Preseason QB? I think I’ve heard of him.

57. jtam963 says: Jul 14, 2011 4:31 PM

HAHA!! SO Lions are all the sudden better then BEARS??

I love how Lions are such an amazing team yet never do anything!!

Bear Down!

58. spooner97 says: Jul 14, 2011 4:32 PM

You can’t fool me NFL. I know Al Davis is a Zombie.

59. spooner97 says: Jul 14, 2011 4:41 PM

Let’s see if this works. I vow to marry Scarlett Johansson!

60. rubbernilly says: Jul 14, 2011 4:42 PM

Can we finally put to bed the notion that you *have* to take the bright shiny QB if he’s available in the first round?

It doesn’t help to have a franchise QB if you don’t have a franchise-QB-protecting Offensive Line.

I don’t blame him for being injury prone. Anybody would break playing behind the Lions line the past couple of years. But the fact is that he has had two major shoulder injuries in the past two years. Even if we get a decent line in front of him… the guy has already earned his stripes for Meritorious Brittleness. One good pop and… who’s our backup again?

And this coming from a Lions fan.

61. jtam963 says: Jul 14, 2011 5:39 PM

Yeah Cutler’s line was worse and he doesn’t have a 6 foot giant receiver. If he did we would have won superbowl. Bear DOWN!!!

Bears 12-4
    Packers 11-5
    Lions 8-8
    Vikings 6-10

62. honolulubluekoolaid says: Jul 14, 2011 6:31 PM

jtam963 says:
    Jul 14, 2011 5:39 PM

Bears 12-4
    Packers 11-5
    Lions 8-8
    Vikings 6-10
    ——————————

As a Lions fan, I will not try to tell you Stafford is anything yet, because even though he has talent, he has to earn respect like every other QB does by leading his team through a whole season and actually winning some playoff games. But……..Jay (gutless) Cutler has not earned the respect of an elite QB! Cutler is a wus. You would have had to take any of the Elite QBs off the field in a stretcher during a conference championship with the Super Bowl on the line. there is a reason Denver got rid of him in the trade. Talent wise Cutlet is good (maybe a little better than Shaun Hill, but not much), but he does not have the moxie to lead the Bears to a super bowl and win it. You did say one thing right though…..Bear DOWN! Win or lose Cutler will have to “Bear DOWN” when SUH, KVB, Avril, Williams, and our new LB Tulloch (will happen) are all over him every play. Even if you are right and the Lions end up 8-8 they will make hurt for opposing QBs especially Cutler. Did you see Cutler’s head almost snap like a twig when he thought SUH forearmed him to the head? That was just his hand….but Cutler cried for over a week.

63. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 14, 2011 6:38 PM

@spartyfy
    I said I was trying to be nice. I’m a OAK fan its been tough, so obviously we are the easiest team to tease with our draft picks, owner, coach flops, etc…. but come one your a Lions fan. The worst NFL franchise ever, just beacuse you lost close games that doesn’t translate into wins? YOU LOST. 6-10 thats the only thing that matters to look back on your season. My team was 8-8, 6-0 in our division and I think we are not even close. But 6-10 for Detriot is a winning season apparently. Super Bowl bound right? Ha. Suh says you can go undefeated and Stafford says he can play all 16 games? Stafford is a delicate flower, last time i checked Calvin Johnson, Javid Best aren’t blocking for him, get a LT. Clay Matthews, Jared Allen, Urlacher, Harris, Williams, etc … Losing a close game is a loss. That doesn’t mean next year those all equal wins. Packers won a Super Bowl in a season where they lost 12 starters, they had a good draft, retinaed their talent and now will have a healthy team, they are winning it all again and thats 2 loses for your Lions right there. I can’t believe I’m typing so much, the LIONS!!?? You are as irreleveant as my raiders, the bengals, bills …. nothing pursuading me you have what it takes, unless your telling me stafford is a top 10 QB? am i missing something?
    Detroits 6 wins from 2010:
    Rams
    Vikings
    GB (without Rodgers)
    Dolphins
    Redskins
    Bucs

Wow 4 of those teams picked in the top 10 of the draft.

Yeah your right you guys are destined for 11 wins LOL whatta joke

64. Deb says: Jul 14, 2011 7:07 PM

Hey, ponytail, I’m always nice … unless people are nasty to me ;)

Are you an NFC North fan? With the name, figured you for the AFC East–which is another of my favorite divisions. Packers need no explanation. But the Bears won the division and made it to the championship game. No reason to think they won’t continue to be competitive. The Lions have improved on an already strong defense, and have a top-flight receiver. Most important, they believe they can win. If Stafford stays healthy, I can see them making the playoffs.

The Vikes were a living advertisement for Murphy’s Law last season, but they’re still just one year removed from the NFC Championship game. If Ponder has a rookie season like Flacco’s or Roethlisberger’s … or if they pull in a talented veteran … anything is possible. They still have some pretty talented guys on that team, unless there’s a mass exodus in free agency. Frazier seems to have a little more on the ball than Chilly did–at least the team seems to have more faith in him.

65. zinn22 says: Jul 14, 2011 7:24 PM

If Stafford starts zero games this year his production will still be better than Sanchez’s. Unless of course Sanchez gets benched or does not play for any reason.

But besides the Sanchez talk when Stafford actually plays he is pretty amazing. He can do it all, moves well in the pocket, a cannon arm, smart decisions, charisma and work ethic. Hopefully his injuries were just freak incidents as the sky is the limit for this guy.

66. jtam963 says: Jul 14, 2011 7:29 PM

Stafford is a bum!!

To even compare Cutler n stafford toughness is funny.

Detroit fans are delusional!!!!

Cutler took most sacks n off field in playoffs. If Detroit even smelled playoffs city may blow up.

67. mdnittlion says: Jul 14, 2011 8:49 PM

Maybe it’s just my gaming system, but when I play Madden the game won’t let me start Stafford 7 games in a row or maybe it’s programmed for the most realistic options?

68. tombradysponytail says: Jul 14, 2011 10:05 PM

@Deb

AFC East it is, but the NFC North fans have more entertaining comments. I just don’t see Cutler has the answer in Chicago. Sure, they made it to the NFC Championship game. How’d that turn out? Lions are up and coming if Stafford, Johnson, and Best can stay healthy (big ifs), but I think it will take them a few years to get in the winning habit. Vikings are five years out from anything. They don’t seem to understand how critical the QB position is. It’s quite strange really….

69. honolulubluekoolaid says: Jul 14, 2011 10:42 PM

jtam963 says:
    Jul 14, 2011 7:29 PM
    Stafford is a bum!!

To even compare Cutler n stafford toughness is funny.

Detroit fans are delusional!!!!

—————–
    What? No delusions here!
    I have alot of friends that are bears fans. None of them care for Cutler. The rookie that came in and played when he got hurt showed potential (more moxie than cutler). If the bears were to pick up hasselback in FA, I would give them more of a chance this year.
    I was not comparing cutler’s toughness with Stafford’s, I admit Stafford would have to play to do that (hopefully this season we can).
    I am not promising or predicting anything more than last year for the Lions, but one thing I do know is the Bears will never win a Super Bowl with Cutler at the helm. I am NOT saying Stafford is the answer for Detroit, but at least there is still a mystery around him, If – a BIG IF – Stafford can stay healthy, we will finally be able to know if we have a QB. So, let’s just admit that we can not say what Stafford is yet, but that this is the year we will know if we need to get another QB or not.

70. Deb says: Jul 15, 2011 12:00 AM

@ponytail …

AFC East is a fun division. I’d like to see Buffalo come back. Chan Gailey is a good coach and a good guy. For pure entertainment, it’s tough to beat Rex :) Pack/Vikes threads are just wild and incestuous.–they only have eyes for each other. But a lot of the regulars have been swept out in recent house-cleaning, so it may be a lot tamer now.

Cutler’s never impressed me much, but he’s good enough. Don’t count out the Vikes yet. Maybe Ponder is more promising than people think.

71. thephantomstranger says: Jul 15, 2011 11:37 AM

Deb, don’t let Tom fool you. He’s a closet Packer fan. How else can you explain his wild-eyed insane rants about the Vikings? He’s only being nice to you now because you gave him a cute nickname.

72. spartyfi says: Jul 15, 2011 1:05 PM

808: you asked why people are high on the Lions and I just told you why. No, because those losses were by less than a TD doesn’t mean they’ll win them this year, but it does mean the could when they have their starting QB.

Also, you say we beat GB without Rodgers and that’s just not true. Rodgers was NOT hurt until just before the half and we knocked him out of the game. We were playing with our 3rd string QB in case you missed that part of the equation. So, bash and question all you want but there is reason for optimisim. Now, whether that translates into actual wins, only time will tell but there is reason to think they could contend for the playoffs and that is why everyone’s high on them. These writers have to pick one sorry team every year to be the feel good team and this year they’ve picked the Lions. Raiders fans and Bucs fans are hating because they want it to be their team. I’ll give the Bucs that argument, they are also a young, good up and coming team…the Raiders, not so much! If the Bucs had beaten the Lions, they would have made the playoffs, but they didn’t. Watch, Bucs and Lions in the playoffs this year…I’d love that. Time to turn the league upside down.

Oh, and I AM telling you right now that Stafford is a top 10 QB, mark it down now and give me grief at the end of the season IF I’m wrong!

73. jtam963 says: Jul 15, 2011 3:53 PM

Top ten?! Yeah we will see.

Actually comparing Cutler to Shaun Hill talentwise? If Bears had Megatron on the wr staff they’d show you how good Cutler could be. Look what he did with a big target in Marshall.

Everyone loves to hate on Cutler, but not me. Bears fan for life and talking like Detroit is amazing because of all the guys on paper is funny.

Let me know how you’ll be feeling after Peppers knocks him out in week 5.

74. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 15, 2011 6:31 PM

OAK plays DET this year. Give me grief if you win that one. best of luck to stafford when lamar houston, shaugnessy, seymour, wimbley knocks him out if he is even in that game. @nd in the NFL in sacks last year. bring it.

75. spartyfi says: Jul 16, 2011 2:35 PM