Talks end for the day with a deal closer than ever

foxworth_domonique_200 Getty Images

After smoking a cigar and drinking a beer for the first time in 15 years to celebrate the coming labor deal, I returned to the official PFT laptop to see if there’s any reason to temper the growing sense of optimism.

The closest thing to the latest cup of cold water came from Ravens cornerback and NFLPA* Executive Committee member Domonique Foxworth, who had this to say to Albert Breer of NFL Network as Foxworth was leaving the site of the negotiations:  “All the reports that are floating around, there really is no deal until our players approve it.”

He’s right.  The players must approve it.  Specifically, at least 50 percent plus one must accept its terms by agreeing to reformulate the union.

But the reality is that, if even the terms of the March 11 offer were submitted to the players for a vote today, at least 50 percent of the players plus one would vote for it.

And so all signs continue to point to a deal being reached.  But we’ll keep watching for the cold water.  After another cigar, and a couple more beers.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
55 Responses to “Talks end for the day with a deal closer than ever”
  1. couvs14 says: Jul 15, 2011 12:01 AM

the rumor is that they agreed on getting Asian food for the meetings from now on. big steps taken today

2. Burritto says: Jul 15, 2011 12:02 AM

I hope you enjoyed your beer and cigar. Congratulations on being back in business!

3. greatminnesotasportsmind says: Jul 15, 2011 12:02 AM

Still plenty of time for owners, players, judges, and lawyers to mess up all this “progress.” wake me up when a deal is agreed by all parties involved and written in pen.

4. ialdrich1214 says: Jul 15, 2011 12:03 AM

Have one for me I quit drinking 3 days ago…

5. thenewyorkjets says: Jul 15, 2011 12:05 AM

Yesssssss!! About damn time!!!

6. footballfanatic3431 says: Jul 15, 2011 12:05 AM

Harry Potter cast a spell on both sides and got it done.

7. p4hbiz says: Jul 15, 2011 12:06 AM

Call me in the morning.

8. bobbyyyd says: Jul 15, 2011 12:07 AM

Lets hope we can see the USA win the world cup, and the NFL get a deal done by Monday

9. hobartbaker says: Jul 15, 2011 12:10 AM

Unidentified middle aged male found floating in chilly waters of local river. Mediterranean extraction. Witnesses say he may have had too much to drink and was having a coughing fit when he pitched head first into the stream.

10. jdnales says: Jul 15, 2011 12:11 AM

Lets just hope that beer isn’t Natty Ice.

11. realitypolice says: Jul 15, 2011 12:11 AM

Talks end?!?

Talks end?!?

When are these spoiled billionaires and millionaires going to get serious and commit to negotiating 24 hours a day without so much as a pee break to get this done?

Don’t they care about the fans?!?!?

We all work at our jobs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and we sure as hell didn’t take a three day weekend for the 4th of July!!!!!

Wait, I forgot, I should be writing this post in ALL CAPS!!!!!!

If they can be this close now, why couldn’t they have been this close FOUR MONTHS AGO?!?!?!?!

How many exclamation points and question marks do I have to type in a row to prove how angry I am about all of this football I DIDN’T ACTUALLY LOSE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

THUMBS DOWN! THUMBS DOWN! WHY??? WHO CARES???

12. trbowman says: Jul 15, 2011 12:12 AM

Ah. The final headline of the night and it’s not cold water.

13. oldbrowndawg says: Jul 15, 2011 12:17 AM

‘Bout time, dudes. This should have happened WEEKS ago! Let’s just hope that it does get done in time for rookies to report within two days of the ratification of the CBA and that the vets report to camp on time and in football shape. Otherwise, they’re risking a lot of injuries and that would be a tragic side effect of all this legalistic b.s. which should have been shelved weeks ago.

14. wwwfella says: Jul 15, 2011 12:23 AM

@REALITY POLICE U REALLY NEED TO SWITCH TO DECAFF!!

15. sdw2001 says: Jul 15, 2011 12:26 AM

Just read this and tell me it’s not hilarious:

….NFLPA* Executive Committee member Domonique Foxworth.

ROTFL. How is it that football players who are paid to work out and throw around a ball can sit on an “executive committee” and be taken seriously? This is like an auto mechanic being the prosecuting attorney in a Wall Street financial crimes trial.

16. devrocks247 says: Jul 15, 2011 12:29 AM

And thus began Mike’s slow descent into alcoholism…

17. SteveBeans says: Jul 15, 2011 12:35 AM

Wait, did you mean to publish this tomorrow morning? I thought night time was reserved for the bad news updates.

18. goawayeverybody says: Jul 15, 2011 12:36 AM

I had a glass of really cheap wine. It tasted… really cheap.

19. nmunderdog says: Jul 15, 2011 12:42 AM

In the end, it was all about the $. The fans will end up paying the bill on this one. It might not happen next year, but maybe the following. I expect my season tickets to go up. Concessions are probably gonna go up this year. We’re going to miss the days of $8 beer. And as much as I hate to say it, I will pay the price for them, and continue to be a fan that the owners and players get fat on.

20. Nevis says: Jul 15, 2011 12:55 AM

Doesn’t every day that pass actually equate to a deal “being closer than ever”? Why not report the sun will rise tomorrow.

21. mrplow3 says: Jul 15, 2011 1:00 AM

“Harry Potter cast a spell on both sides and got it done.”

Dork

22. donniebmc says: Jul 15, 2011 1:05 AM

I’ll believe it when I see it…

23. crefan says: Jul 15, 2011 1:10 AM

Tomorrow they’ll be miles apart.

24. MisterDeol says: Jul 15, 2011 1:12 AM

Damn finally going to sleep feeling really optimistic. Hope tomorrow’s nothing but good news.

25. isphet71 says: Jul 15, 2011 1:12 AM

Hoping for official signing tomorrow!

After all the off-season hype, the first few weeks of training camp are always such a letdown.

With all the player signings having to be done, I don’t think pre-preseason is going to be as torturous this year.

26. goawayeverybody says: Jul 15, 2011 1:13 AM

One thing I would like to say to the people complaining about prices.

If you don’t like the ticket prices, don’t buy tickets.

If you don’t like the cost of the food they sell at stadiums, eat before you go there. And encourage others to do the same. Trust me, if enough people stop buying the food at the stadiums, they’re going to have to lower the prices.

27. rolandsloan says: Jul 15, 2011 1:18 AM

Once this is over…..and I so hope it’s almost
    over. I never want to see C-B-A on P-F-T again.

28. crefan says: Jul 15, 2011 1:26 AM

couvs14 says: Jul 15, 2011 12:01 AM

——————————————————
    De Smith just backed out of the deal says Asian food makes him Gassy.

29. silverhornet says: Jul 15, 2011 1:27 AM

Clearly the NFL hates the French… I mean they did meet and actually made progress on Bastille Day of all things.

30. blountforce says: Jul 15, 2011 1:37 AM

Damn, there are a bunch of negative Nancy’s around here. It’ll get done, folks…. chillax!!

31. upperdecker19 says: Jul 15, 2011 1:57 AM

After another cigar, and a couple more beers.

Natty Light and a Swisher Sweet?

32. hedleykow says: Jul 15, 2011 2:12 AM

realitypolice quote:

“I know I haven’t missed a single training camp session, pre-season or regular season game, but I am still, FOR SOME REASON, really angry!!!!!!”

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is some funny stuff, bro!!!

33. xxravennationxx says: Jul 15, 2011 2:34 AM

You teacha me da football coach? (James Harrison)

34. allheat says: Jul 15, 2011 2:53 AM

I am not sure all fans currently care. I am sure all the players and owners hope that all the fans will return to normal once we are done being jerked around. None of them wanted practice, or even preseason. Once money was being lost…THEN was the time to really start negotiations. Sooner or later, fans will see it as a business too. Good luck repairing that.

35. suite34 says: Jul 15, 2011 3:19 AM

Just take one dip and END IT!

36. kremis says: Jul 15, 2011 3:21 AM

James Harrison was quoted as saying Roger Godell is no PEte Roselle, he just makes more money and hands out more suspensions.

37. jdandcoke says: Jul 15, 2011 5:19 AM

honestly….if you havent bothered to have a beer in 15 years, then why bother? sort of like me never having used heroin…and suddenly deciding to do a bag. it makes no sense.

38. raven410 says: Jul 15, 2011 6:07 AM

Come on week 1 !!!!!

39. zapuda says: Jul 15, 2011 6:24 AM

Actually, reality. I work 40 hours, 5 days a week and DID have a three day 4th of July weekend. I’m guessing the same is true for many people.

40. preludetosmack says: Jul 15, 2011 6:30 AM

So what happened to all the times that you kept chastising the owners for not showing up with a contingent that was able to make a settlement?

Why isn’t the same said of the players?

41. jadtb93 says: Jul 15, 2011 6:42 AM

GET. IT. DONE. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. jadtb93 says: Jul 15, 2011 6:45 AM

This Lockout Never Should of Happend!

43. lovesportsandsurfing says: Jul 15, 2011 7:36 AM

Expect at some point today De Smith to say hes advised the players to not sign this deal….no NFL in 2011,…TGIF!!!!

44. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 15, 2011 7:38 AM

Deal gets announced Saturday, everyone gets off the Women’s soccer bandwagon as a real sport is revived!

45. realitypolice says: Jul 15, 2011 7:56 AM

wwwfella says:
    Jul 15, 2011 12:23 AM
    @REALITY POLICE U REALLY NEED TO SWITCH TO DECAFF!!
    =====================

I guess you, like the other 140 people who gave me a thumbs down, don’t quite grasp the idea of sarcasm.

46. sterling7 says: Jul 15, 2011 8:10 AM

I predicted approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago that the strike would be over. Obviously it’s been a little longer but who cares as long as the strike ends. I am not saying I am omnipotent, I am not saying I am Nostradomus. What I am saying is that common sense tells us a deal would get done, why?, because it would’ve been complete genocide for both parties and a loss of a great deal of money and that simply doesn’t have to be. If the strike lasted any longer where the preseason was affected then we could all kiss our asses goodbye on this entire season. But I am very happy to say that as a student and lover of the NFL and college football…….we’re back and more power to all of us football lovers! P.S. Give yourselves a pat on the back for hanging in there!

47. panther17 says: Jul 15, 2011 8:22 AM

I get the concept of sarcasm. Yours just wasn’t funny. However, I didn’t give you a thumbs down either.

48. paintan8 says: Jul 15, 2011 8:24 AM

Dominique is a fellow Terp and a sharp guy but, c’mon! 90% of the players have no idea what is going on or care about the details of the agreement. They need paychecks. It will get approved.

49. mightymightylafootball says: Jul 15, 2011 8:24 AM

realitypolice says:
    Jul 15, 2011 12:11 AM

Talks end?!?!….

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

RP, your posts are still some of the best going. I seriously just do a Ctrl+F ‘realitypolice’ on any of the big threads.

As my dear departed golfing gramps would say, “Keep swingin’!”

50. PanchoHerreraFanClub says: Jul 15, 2011 8:25 AM

And just how close is closer than ever? Is it this close? Or maybe just this close?

Mike, you really need to switch to writing novels. I mean you are so good at making stuff up out of nothing.

51. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 15, 2011 8:26 AM

@ reality

You will be happy to know that one of the thumbs up was mine homie!

52. ballsdeep24 says: Jul 15, 2011 8:41 AM

I hear Favre is making a comeback.

53. barterbob says: Jul 15, 2011 9:25 AM

Negativity is much less harmful, when kept to one’s self………..

54. m2karateman says: Jul 15, 2011 9:50 AM

Nothing like a Dutch Masters and a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon, huh Mike?

55. mjkelly77 says: Jul 15, 2011 10:49 AM

Except for the pampered few mentioned in the lawsuit, the majority of players will approve this CBA. If you had a family to feed and a mortgage to pay with no revenue stream in sight, wouldn’t you?