Patrick Willis’s legs have enjoyed the lockout

Willis_Patrick

With the lockout, by all appearances, winding down, we’ll soon see which players have kept themselves in shape, and which ones show up to training camp looking like they’ve been on the couch for six months.

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis says he’s stayed in great shape. But he also says the time off from organized team activities has been a blessing because he has worked out the way he wants, and he’s feeling more rested than he has heading into training camp in the past.

“It does feel a little weird when you have so much time to yourself at this time of year,” Willis told ESPN.com. “But I won’t lie, either — it has been nice in some ways. I’ve never really had a summer off since I started playing football, and I can feel the difference in my body. I can see that I really needed this.”

Specifically, Willis says he’s been avoiding the kinds of activities that produce wear and tear on his lower body.

“I’ve always been kind of paranoid about my legs [at this time of year] anyway,” Willis said. “That’s why I’ve never liked doing a lot of agility stuff. I always get worried that I might twist something or step on somebody’s foot and tear something. I’d rather get up to speed when I’m [in] camp. It’s never taken me long to do that.”

There’s been plenty of talk that injuries will increase in this year’s training camps, thanks to the lack of an offseason program. But if Willis is right, we should actually see fewer injuries this year, as more players have had more time to give their bodies a break.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Patrick Willis’s legs have enjoyed the lockout”
  1. randysavage4ever says: Jul 15, 2011 2:08 PM

9ers are close…

they got pieces…

2. pastorinisflak says: Jul 15, 2011 2:24 PM

Just imagine how out of shape the players that show up to OTAs out of shape will be.

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 15, 2011 2:25 PM

It’s a logical point and it may end up like the arrest thing where it comes out to be about the same based on guys who take care of themeselves and needed rest(Willis) when averaged with guys like Jamarcus Russell.

4. paulseiferth says: Jul 15, 2011 2:42 PM

The lockout is almost over and I have to read about Patrcik Willis’ legs?

BOOOOOOOOO!!!

5. jpb12 says: Jul 15, 2011 2:42 PM

There are more guys like Andre Carter than Patrick Willis

6. dspohn55 says: Jul 15, 2011 2:43 PM

I think we’ll find that the months and months of voluntarily team activities as well as OTA’s from March through August when the season starts are excessive. There will be players that return to their camps out of shape, but by in large these guys all know that if they fall out of shape.. they fall out the league.

7. cosanostra71 says: Jul 15, 2011 3:05 PM

This is good news. I love watching Patrick Willis play, the guy is a stud.

8. hobartbaker says: Jul 15, 2011 3:08 PM

Players are advocating a series of one year CBA contracts. So they can continue to have Brett Favre training camps.

9. schmitty2 says: Jul 15, 2011 3:34 PM

I hate the Niner’s but Willis is a BEAST!

10. jpiro says: Jul 15, 2011 3:49 PM

Patrick doesn’t need to worry about his legs. Kenny Powers hooked him up with some Tubes.

11. ninerdynasty says: Jul 15, 2011 4:39 PM

paulseiferth says:
    Jul 15, 2011 2:42 PM
    The lockout is almost over and I have to read about Patrcik Willis’ legs?

BOOOOOOOOO!!!

————————————-
    Dude, no one forced to open or read the article. Why dont you go get a job or something?

12. danrooneyii says: Jul 16, 2011 4:59 AM

Inflated stats in a weak division where his offense can’t stay on the field and his defense can’t get off. This guy is extremely overrated.

13. P_Willy says: Jul 18, 2011 9:34 AM

danrooneyii says:
    Jul 16, 2011 4:59 AM

———————————————–

I think that you are the dumbest person in the world.

14. forty9asty says: Jul 18, 2011 6:17 PM

P_Willy says:
    Jul 18, 2011 9:34 AM
    danrooneyii says:
    Jul 16, 2011 4:59 AM

———————————————–

I think that you are the dumbest person in the world.
    ______________________

Agreed.
    So Mr. Rooney, even though his peers in the NFL voted him as a top 25 player, he is overrated because his offense can’t stay on the field? I assume you think that Ray Lewis’ career stats are overrated as well? Oh, and under your criteria I suppose Peyton Manning is overrated too since his defense couldn’t stop anybody for several years. I’d love to hear who you think are some of the greatest players in the game