Hines Ward says DUI “in the hands of my attorney”

Super Bowl Football AP

Steelers receiver Hines Ward has released another statement about his DUI arrest last weekend, without saying much.

“Fans – I appreciate all the love and support,” Ward wrote on Facebook. “Thank you! It means a lot to me. I have a great respect for the legal system and am leaving things in the hands of my attorney.”

Ward did not repeat his previous claim that he was not impaired by alcohol, a claim contradicted by the police report saying he failed field sobriety tests.

With that brief statement aside, Ward said his focus is on football.

“I can’t wait for football,” Ward said. “I’ve been working out hard. I want to get back to the big show again this year. We have some unfinished business to take care of. So we will be ready to go when we are given the Green light. Here we go!”

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Hines Ward says DUI “in the hands of my attorney””
  1. kevo126 says: Jul 16, 2011 12:20 PM

haha that picture is hilarious. what an ugly mofo. if only he was wearing a cowboy hat instead of a helmet.

2. joetoronto says: Jul 16, 2011 12:24 PM

Maybe in October, Hines.

3. awestcave says: Jul 16, 2011 12:25 PM

This is a great example of a player I always greatly admired until I heard him talk and discovered he’s kind of an ass. Whatever happens, happens and I don’t care.

4. frankgarrett says: Jul 16, 2011 12:35 PM

Meaning . My lawyers are trying to work out a deal so i don’t do any jail time . And i must do community service . Go to a MADD panel . Maybe get Probation . Lose my Drivers License . Pay a Fine… Right Hines Ward??

5. canetic says: Jul 16, 2011 12:37 PM

Why did he capitalize “Green”?

6. fballguy says: Jul 16, 2011 12:41 PM

How about just saying…”I made a mistake…I’m sorry”.

7. fballguy says: Jul 16, 2011 12:45 PM

Maybe it’s time for Dan Rooney to pay less attention to Ireland and more attention to his football team.

8. jw731 says: Jul 16, 2011 12:46 PM

The Stillers fans would like to thank you Hines, for hitting a curb while driving drunk, and not one of their loved ones whereas thay would have to make decision of what is right or wrong based on the uniform you wear…..

9. fballguy says: Jul 16, 2011 12:47 PM

PFT needs to open a special wing of Turd Watch just for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Isn’t it about time for someone to beat up a paper towel dispenser?

10. jeepin08 says: Jul 16, 2011 12:52 PM

“I want to get back to the big show again this year”.
    Didn’t he just finish getting to the big show with dancing with the bars ?

11. mountcody says: Jul 16, 2011 12:57 PM

This team is an embarrassment to the steelers legacy. No respect for the law or people. How surprising he is not denying it anymore anyone who is pulled over sober is able to clear the air very quickly. If they Rooneys have the integrity that is spoken of they would do something about their team.

12. marshmont says: Jul 16, 2011 1:00 PM

i truely hate ward. he is a cheap shot artist. low class punk. hope he dies on the field.

13. arizonaben11 says: Jul 16, 2011 1:14 PM

Maybe you should try being a little remorseful, Hines. You don’t have to admit guilt, but maybe you should say you are sorry for putting yourself in this situation in the first place, or something like that…..but maybe that would be too much like being a real man.

14. truwarier90 says: Jul 16, 2011 1:16 PM

dude was drunk, all these excuses don’t carry any weight, just face it, the steelers are the bengals north east!

black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow.

15. kremis says: Jul 16, 2011 1:17 PM

And the bottle of Jack Daniels is in Hines Wards hands!!!!

16. dangonavyboy says: Jul 16, 2011 1:28 PM

man steelers players just cant do anything right..well at least now we know which team needs to have babysitters around the clock to keep there players from gettin in trouble or saying stupid stuff..sorry steelers fans its goin to be a looooooooooooong season..you better hope they win the superbowl..because your players are slowly turing this team into the miami heat of football where everyone is goin to want to see them fail

17. Kave Krew says: Jul 16, 2011 1:29 PM

Translation:
    The end of the lockout could not have come at a better time……let’s focus on football, football, and football AND the Super Bowl people and not on my legal problems……my attorneys are working with the buyable and somewhat inept Georgia legal system (see Big Ben 2010) to get me exonerated……thanks to the classy Rooney family for all of your connections——errr—-scratch that — support in this matter……

18. beltmerica says: Jul 16, 2011 1:33 PM

Hines Ward is such a douche

19. pencilfart says: Jul 16, 2011 1:55 PM

Does this mean the Raiders are no longer the league turds.

20. chadmurdigan says: Jul 16, 2011 1:57 PM

Hines should have had the steering wheel that night in the “hands of my attorney” or else he should hire a “No Man” who’ll either keep him sober or out of the driver’s seat when he’s getting tanked.

21. pencilfart says: Jul 16, 2011 2:05 PM

@marshmouth, thats fu**ed up dude.

22. eslaught says: Jul 16, 2011 2:22 PM

James Harrison says Ward got pulled over by white cops. Harrison is just pissed because they had normal sized heads.

23. tommyf15 says: Jul 16, 2011 2:27 PM

What a shock- people here are rushing to judge Ward as being guilty, despite that pesky “Innocent before proven” stuff.

As far as Ward being suspended whether he’s guilty or not, I’m interested to see how that plays out. IMO the NFL should have no juristiction over the players during a lockout, and that goes for James Harrison as well.

24. myspaceyourface says: Jul 16, 2011 2:30 PM

Bungles have their own category, about the only other team you can compare them to is Baltimore.

The only team with 2 murderers on it. (allegedly)

25. bnyce2000 says: Jul 16, 2011 2:50 PM

@marshmont…

really? wow…he’s low class but you hope he dies on the field?…man it’s a shame keyboard makes people so classy and courageous

26. runtheball says: Jul 16, 2011 2:54 PM

STFU and take your punishment. Ward is just making a bigger ass of himself everytime he opens his mouth.

27. robsterny says: Jul 16, 2011 3:03 PM

Why..Oh why!..would you come out and say “I wasnt impaired by alcohol”..AFTER you know you failed a field sobriety test?…Why not just say ..I made a mistake,and take full responsibility for MY actions Im sorry. Thats all. Im sure many now have rationalizations for why “heinzy” did anything but.

28. twindaddy says: Jul 16, 2011 3:04 PM

Spoken like a true Stealer fan. They’re never guilty, right?

29. trickbunny says: Jul 16, 2011 3:06 PM

tommyf15 says:
    Jul 16, 2011 2:27 PM

—————————————————-
    Yeah, that sobriety test that he apparently failed miserably is “pesky” too, huh?

What a shock that people think he’s guilty when he couldn’t walk a straight line or touch his nose with his finger.

Quit trying to defend the indefensible. He took a sobriety test and failed. Guil-didly-ilty as char-didly-arged.

30. jimmysee says: Jul 16, 2011 3:18 PM

he’ll be taking the Hollywood cure.

31. kyleortonsarm says: Jul 16, 2011 3:45 PM

Hopefully he gets paralyzed on the first play of this upcoming season and wastes away in a bed for 30 more years

32. melonnhead says: Jul 16, 2011 4:09 PM

—————————————————————

Don’t sweat it. I read recently that he’s going to resign his ambassadorship so he can concentrate on helping to get Obama reelected.

33. bigcid10 says: Jul 16, 2011 4:19 PM

A DUI is a minority these days for the nfl
    he’ll just get fined anyway

34. Deb says: Jul 16, 2011 4:24 PM

@fballguy …

Art II has been in charge of the Steelers for several years, since before Dan became the Ambassador to Ireland. Dan’s 80. He can’t hold everyone’s hand forever.

@frankgarrett …

If Ward’s name were Frank Garrett, he wouldn’t get jail time on a first offense DUI in these circumstances.

@mountcody …

As a Tide fan, it breaks my heart to have to tell anyone with that username to kiss off. But it is what it is. The Steelers are like any other team. The majority of guys work hard, keep their mouths shut, and stay out of trouble. But you always have someone sticking his foot in his mouth, getting picked up on a DUI, or otherwise causing the team a headache. It happens in every organization. People like you just enjoy it more when it happens to us. It’s the same with Bama–the price of being at the top. When these situations arise, we just look down on you little stone-throwers and smile, knowing this too shall pass.

35. grpatriot says: Jul 16, 2011 4:28 PM

Twinkle Toes, show the judge your Dancing with the Stars Trophy…Case dismissed. Is that the Big Show your talking about?

36. tommyf15 says: Jul 16, 2011 4:45 PM

fballguy says:
    How about just saying…”I made a mistake…I’m sorry”.

How about “that could be used in court as an admission of guilt”?

What if he really didn’t do anything wrong?

arizonaben11 says:

All one has to do to be accused of DUI is to be driving a car.

You want Ward to apologize for driving a car???

Has the whining of sports fans gotten out of hand, or what?

37. turk2875 says: Jul 16, 2011 4:48 PM

WOW, one Super Bowl loss and the whole team falls apart. Quite entertaining though.

38. citiciti says: Jul 16, 2011 5:14 PM

Hines,
    I.C Lights?

39. melonnhead says: Jul 16, 2011 5:27 PM

At least he didn’t have saggy pants at the mall.

40. jeepin08 says: Jul 16, 2011 6:56 PM

@tommyf15
    Goodell stated before the lockout that the same rules for the off season would apply to the 2010 agreement. You can bet all those who have found trouble will be dealt with by the NFL. No exceptions. It seems that just about every team in the NFL has had a player find trouble this off season thinking that there will be no consequences.
    Besides, Wards hearing is in October so nothing will be done until after then.

41. tommyf15 says: Jul 16, 2011 8:04 PM

jeepin08 says:
    @tommyf15

DeMaurice Smith said that the players wouldn’t be subject to any type of disciplinary action while the players were locked out.

I just made that last sentence up to make a point- it doesn’t matter what either Goodell or Smith said before an agreement was reached. Unless such a provision was specifically negotiated in the new CBA I can’t see any way the NFL would have any juristiction over locked out players.

42. trickbunny says: Jul 16, 2011 8:08 PM

I love the boneheads who are crying that we’re all rushing to judgment on whether Ward is guilty of DUI.

See, this is why the reports are that he was DUI- not “allegedly” DUI. There’s no such thing as alleged DUI. You fail those tests and you are g-u-i-l-t-y. End of story. Man up and deal with the fact that your grinning hero did something monumentally stupid.

43. melonnhead says: Jul 16, 2011 8:22 PM

———————————————————

The CBA had no jurisdiction over anything after the owners opted out. Locked out employees are still employees and if they want to treat them like employees they can. Whether they will or not is another story.

44. arizonaben11 says: Jul 16, 2011 8:34 PM

tommyf15 says:
    All one has to do to be accused of DUI is to be driving a car.

You want Ward to apologize for driving a car???

Are you serious with this question? Ward hit a curb at 2am and then failed more than one field sobriety tests. As a former military police officer, I’ve stopped a few people for hitting curbs late at night….not a one of them was just “driving a car” What if that curb was attached to a corner you happened to be standing on?

45. theblowtorchreview says: Jul 16, 2011 9:07 PM

Question: Why doesn’t he get treated just like every other drunken slob charged with DUI?

Answer: Because he can afford lawyers who will muddy the waters and drag the case out for months (maybe even years) until it’s forgotten and he walks away with a slightly light wallet.

46. baronvonmonocle says: Jul 16, 2011 9:08 PM

pencilfart says:
    Jul 16, 2011 1:55 PM
    Does this mean the Raiders are no longer the league turds.
    —————————————

No. It’s like a retired professor. The Raiders are turds emeritus.

47. Deb says: Jul 16, 2011 9:21 PM

trickbunny says:

I love the boneheads who are crying that we’re all rushing to judgment … He failed a sobriety test and blew over the legal limit on a breathalyzer. What else do you need to know? … Man up and deal with the fact that your grinning hero did something monumentally stupid.
    ————————————————

Will you accept a woman-up? Football players aren’t my heroes, but I like Ward and he did something monumentally stupid. Thank God no one was hurt.

Speaking as a diehard and forever loyal Pittsburgh fan, I hope the Steelers have now concluded their stupid player tricks for this off-season.

48. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jul 17, 2011 12:52 AM

The Bengals had a jaw dropping10 arrests in 2006. But in the 5 years since, have had a pretty ordinary 11. The Stealers have 10 arrests during the same span. (the 2 issues with Big Ben weren’t counted)

49. pencilfart says: Jul 17, 2011 2:14 AM

@kyleortonsarm, I hope your feet get chopped off and stuffed in a frezzer some where on your way to work. How do you like me so far?

50. melonnhead says: Jul 17, 2011 10:55 AM

——————————————————

Wow, Cowboys with only 10 since 2000 including one that culminated in a ticket, and two with charges dropped.

51. antibenapalooza says: Jul 17, 2011 8:07 PM

I mailed my Ward jersey to the Steelers organization soon after March 5, 2010 in protest over their handling of the Milledgeville incident. As far as I am concerned, the whole dam team as gone to hell with the guy who likes to wear devil face shirts in GA.

52. antibenapalooza says: Jul 17, 2011 8:19 PM

oops, damn, not dam

53. Deb says: Jul 17, 2011 9:33 PM

@antibenpalooza …

That was an excellent gesture. I’m sure the Steelers donated the shirt to charity and it went to someone who couldn’t afford it but would appreciate it. Roethlisberger was never so much as arrested let alone charged in Milledgeville because the medical exam showed the only act the woman alleged didn’t occur. She made a false accusation, and the prosecutor told the press flat-out more than a year ago he hoped she and her friends had learned their lesson. But yeah, I guess the Steelers should have fired their quarterback for acting wearing a t-shirt with a devil face on it. I’m sure he’s the only employee in the history of the world to do anything so horrific. :roll:

54. bensstinkyfingers says: Jul 18, 2011 12:33 AM

That’s right it’s normal for your franchise quarterback to be trolling college bars, taking drunk co-eds in bathroom stalls (to talk about god and stuff of course), Right Deb?) So get off Ben’s back you haters, It’s obvious he has never done any of the crimes he has been accused of because he has never been charged! And we have never heard of him assaulting any other women in the past so he probably has never treated women badly. It’s just he has really bad luck, and women just feel compelled to make up lies, because he is such an approachable, down to earth, modest , god fearing guy. And he probably spilled food on his shirt that night had to borrow that darned devil shirt from a friend or something. We know Ben has strong Christian values and trys to live his life that way to set a good example for all the kids that are fans of his. And Hines has not been convicted of anything yet so he is is probably another victim of false accusations, just like Ben! I’m really beginning to think this may be like a huge conspiracy planned by like an underground New World Order of Steeler Haters who are so jealous of the Organization and there teams must suck or something. So please guys goet off the Steelers backs man, they don’t deserve this kind of treatment, they didn’t actually get convicted of anything other that hearsay!! Go Browns!

55. bensstinkyfingers says: Jul 18, 2011 12:38 AM

Great spelling and puncuation on my part too, It’s not because it’s 12:30 AM and I’m typing fast, it’s because I’m a Browns fan and my team hasn’t won Super Bowl!

56. Deb says: Jul 18, 2011 11:46 AM

@bensstinkyfingers …

Hope you’re very young. I’d hate to think of a grown man acting so silly or adopting such a vulgar name. You must not read my posts because I give the same presumption of innocence to all players that I do to Steelers. And I haven’t excused Hines. He failed a field sobriety test and blew .128 on a Breathalyzer. He had no business being behind the wheel, and I’m extremely disappointed in his behavior. But people screw up, dude. They’re people, not saints. Playing football doesn’t make men infallible.

I’ve posted many times that I think Ben is an immature jerk who hasn’t worked hard enough at his position. But there’s always hope he’ll grow up. I don’t know about the Christian stuff–only God can read his heart. I’m a grown woman, and my heroes aren’t football players. My defense of Ben is based on the case facts.

The woman in Nevada had a one-night stand with him and sent text messages the next day saying she couldn’t wait to see him again. The texts speak for themselves.

The 20-year-old Georgia woman followed him from club to club, propositioning him in from of dozens of witnesses. She told the room she was “down to f*ck.” She’d been drinking all night of her own accord before she started picking up the drinks he purchased. She willingly accompanied him to the bathroom, and many witnesses contradicted her friend’s tall tale about the bodyguard at the door. She contradicted it herself. I don’t know what happened during the 10 minutes they were alone. I only know what she alleged did not happen because the medical report showed it did not happen.

You don’t like the Steelers–fine. You don’t think star athletes should accept what women throw at them–fine. But evidence is evidence not matter what you think or how many tantrums you throw about rival teams. Evidence is evidence and win/loss records are win/loss records. If my team couldn’t win on the field, I wouldn’t take any satisfaction in slandering players on a blog. Frankly, I think the Browns deserve better.

57. antibenapalooza says: Jul 18, 2011 7:54 PM

There Deb goes again, one part fact and four parts fiction.

58. Deb says: Jul 18, 2011 9:38 PM

antibenpalooza …

Just because you’ve built your identity around needing and wanting Roethlisberger to be a rapist doesn’t make it true. You’re welcome to pull out the police files, medical records, and other evidence and post counterarguments. But that would require you to actually conduct some research rather than just running your mouth via your keyboard.

59. ltomlinson2101 says: Jul 21, 2011 3:28 PM

Welcome to the Vincent Jackson Club!