Players seek reduction in training camp contact

LeGarrette Blount AP

So what is still left to figure out in the labor dispute?

Both sides sound confident a deal is on the way, but the two sides still need to figure out settlements in the remaining Brady antitrust case and TV money case.

Speaking on ESPN Saturday, Chris Mortensen also indicated that players “won’t give in” on the remaining player health and safety issues still on the table.

We know about the reduction of OTAs and offseason practices.  Mort also reports players want less contact during camp and to “basically eliminate” two-a-days.  We’ll have to wait for an agreement before we see the fine print, but it’s fair to expect the players to get what they want here.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has focused on player safety, and these sort of changes don’t need to be approved by coaches who would be more likely to blanch at reduced camp contact.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
74 Responses to “Players seek reduction in training camp contact”
  1. mathsimillion says: Jul 16, 2011 10:46 AM

I hope they argue for a snow cone machine on the side line as well.

2. kevinwi says: Jul 16, 2011 10:47 AM

jeez….tell me something the owners got in all this?….all I keep hearing is “players won’t budge”….what a bunch of whining rich kids.

3. bingocostello says: Jul 16, 2011 10:50 AM

are they also seeking a reduction in felonies committed by team?

4. pftstory says: Jul 16, 2011 10:54 AM

I could really see the player source telling Mort “We intend to give in on these remaining issues.”

5. blackqbwhiterb says: Jul 16, 2011 10:59 AM

yeah, they need less work and more money……poor guys must be worn out…..

6. blackqbwhiterb says: Jul 16, 2011 11:00 AM

maybe if they wanna get rid of two-a-days, they could practice for 8 hours once a day, like regular folks work 8 hours, instead of a morning practice, 3 hour break, and afternoon practice…..

7. pappysarcasm says: Jul 16, 2011 11:05 AM

Thats crap! Reduces OTA’s, ok. Camp is for getting in shape! Suck it up! Two a Day’s does not mean helmet on helmet! If I were the owners I would have my coaches back on this one and hold tight!

8. krow101 says: Jul 16, 2011 11:05 AM

How about no practices at all. Just a big bag of money and a 24-hour party.

9. fballguy says: Jul 16, 2011 11:06 AM

They also want extra maxipads and pamprin in every training room and a free subscription to Cosmo

10. waldoampere says: Jul 16, 2011 11:08 AM

Players also requested a reduction in film study and practice time. Coaches requested a reduction in whining. Owners requested a reduction in taxes for their billion dollar companies. Fans requested a reduction in BS from all of the above.

11. thehighhat says: Jul 16, 2011 11:14 AM

Thats a simple one: don’t hire Mike Singletary as your head coach.

12. ramofsteel says: Jul 16, 2011 11:16 AM

I’m w/ the players on this one. I think the quality would get better since their bodies would take less of a beating from each other and the heat. And less injuries.

13. hawkeye6 says: Jul 16, 2011 11:18 AM

Injuries may very well be extremely high this year. I hope not, but honestly, it’s difficult to not expect it.

14. CKL says: Jul 16, 2011 11:20 AM

I am in agreement with a reduction in some of the mandatory offseason stuff for sure. That said, the players’ condition when they go into TC this year may convince me more or less on that since they have basically had 0 mandatory anything so it will be interesting to see what kid of shape they are in now.
    I am not in agreement with reducing anything as far as training camp though. Most smart coaches give vets some days off and they know that 2 a days all the time aren’t usually good. Plus TC is their first real practices as a team, full on that is. I think it’s silly to ask for reductions there.

15. phillyforlife says: Jul 16, 2011 11:22 AM

Really come on guys put the big boy pants on and and go out and practice like you want to win and be better conditioned so you feel fresher in live action. Jeez now they sound like babies (whaaaaaa I do want to work out all day pamper me) As you can tell now this pisses me off.

16. tjacks7 says: Jul 16, 2011 11:26 AM

QB’s wear flags.
    Kickers and punters wear skirts.
    Two hand touch for everyone else.
    No moving blocks.

Problem solved.
    Sissies.

17. chriscross26 says: Jul 16, 2011 11:28 AM

BREAKING NEWS: Players also want a free to use supply of maxi pads to prevent any leakage.

18. pixelito says: Jul 16, 2011 11:30 AM

mathsimillion says: Jul 16, 2011 10:46 AM

I hope they argue for a snow cone machine on the side line as well.

—————————————————————————————-

I almost spit up my coffee laughing so hard at this.

19. petedutcher says: Jul 16, 2011 11:32 AM

Dear Lord…the players better cave on this one. How the heck are coaches going to have productive off seasons otherwise?

Imagine no OTAs for the rookies…no chance they would be ready in time.

I’d rather see scrubs play then cave into them on this one.

Personally, I would also rather see MORE OTAs in the off season. And htey should be televised too to the fans can build excitement for the upcoming season! ;)

20. darthvincent says: Jul 16, 2011 11:41 AM

Soooooo….. the Players are actually arguing for the 5th and 6th preseason games to come back.

Great! Just what this fan wanted.

21. psuravens19 says: Jul 16, 2011 11:44 AM

The next headline should read:

“Fans want a reduction in ticket prices for preseason games”

Aren’t they getting this deal done for the “fans”?

22. steelers4385 says: Jul 16, 2011 11:45 AM

I mean really? What little girls. U get paid millions……MILLIONS. get ur a$$es out ther and do that 2 a days u little sissys. What are u guys a bunch of punters and kickers?

23. imjinbrdgr says: Jul 16, 2011 11:45 AM

kevinwi says: Jul 16, 2011 10:47 AM

________________________

Revenue split, or simpler yet , money.

24. kenboslice says: Jul 16, 2011 11:45 AM

Do players want to be safe or do they want glory? Who wants to be kmown as a soft player?

25. kenboslice says: Jul 16, 2011 11:46 AM

Known*

26. krow101 says: Jul 16, 2011 11:46 AM

The new practice methods involve ‘visioning’ a play unfolding in your direction … and then the players explain to their ‘life coach’ what they would have done if they still had a pair.

27. dontouchmyjunk says: Jul 16, 2011 11:50 AM

Practice? We sittin here, I suppose to be the franchise player, and we in here talkin about Practice. NOT A GAME, not a game, we talkin about …. Practice.

28. winskins says: Jul 16, 2011 11:50 AM

whaaaa, I don’t want to be dead at 42 cuz my brain has turned into a jello pudding.

C’mon, guys. It makes me sick to watch athletes who have no knees and can’t walk, or who die young, or whatever, because they gave it their all on the field on Sundays for a few years. No amount of money is worth that. We fans have got to accept that changes are coming, for the sake of the players’ health.

29. philwauke says: Jul 16, 2011 11:56 AM

This is just another reason I’m selling my tickets. When are they going to ask the owners to pay for their college if they left school early? Overpaid and self entitled.

30. anpsteel says: Jul 16, 2011 11:56 AM

Two-a Days are how you get your body in “contact” shape.

No way can they get rid of that aspect of training camp- and not see a dramatic effect upon actual game day performance.

31. gimmeabruschi says: Jul 16, 2011 11:58 AM

Maybe the players should demand a stipulation that the more you’re arrested the less money you make.

I would go for that over a reduction in training camp contact.

32. TheWizard says: Jul 16, 2011 12:00 PM

christ………do these guys wanna play football or not……

33. gdeli says: Jul 16, 2011 12:03 PM

Get it done so our Nat’l Violence League starts again. But I do not watch for the violence. Brady to Moss was awesome.

34. bobbyd12 says: Jul 16, 2011 12:03 PM

How about we eliminate the “let’s bend over our biggest supporters and make them pay full price for garbage” Pre Season games?? There is no reason whatsoever to have this, 4 plays by starters and Junior Varsity comes in. It is an insult to fans and season ticket holders everywhere. I was hoping if nothing else, this new CBA would eliminate or reduce this garbage. As a 16 year Dolphin Season Ticket Holder, I called my Represenative yesterday and told him I’m done after this year. I can go to Craigslist or StubHub or TicketMaster every week and get great seats without having to pay for 2 garbage games. I love Pro Football and my Dolphins but I am officially finished with shelling out $1200.00 year after year for two POS garbage games. Let me know when a CBA does something for the fans, not just for the owners or players.

35. elleclouds says: Jul 16, 2011 12:06 PM

I hope my team decides to practice 2 a days in hopes to get back in football shape. Any edge would help!

36. awestcave says: Jul 16, 2011 12:22 PM

I guess before the deal is set in stone, the players want to make sure they lose as much fan respect as baseball players did in 1994…

37. panfan43 says: Jul 16, 2011 12:23 PM

How about instead of training camp a 3 week membership at a day spa!

38. intenseg says: Jul 16, 2011 12:24 PM

It’s going to be seriously injury-filled year. I can see it coming.

39. southmo says: Jul 16, 2011 12:24 PM

Chiefs were in pads 30 out of 35 practice days and had fewer injuries than anyone.

The Cowboys had soft, Wade Phillips style practices and got spanked every weekend until he was fired. Garrett took over, put them in pads and they went 5-3 with their starting QB out.

Anyone who’s played sports understands that soft practice and soft preparation is never a good thing on any level.

40. benh999 says: Jul 16, 2011 12:30 PM

Just so we are clear: The players do not want rules to discourage dangerous hits during games, but they do want rules limiting normal contact outside of games.

41. duanethomas says: Jul 16, 2011 12:30 PM

blackqbwhiterb says:
    Jul 16, 2011 11:00 AM

You’re stupid and all the people who gave you a thumbs up are stupid also.

Typical ProTraining Camp Schedule:
    6 am- Wake Up
    7 am training room open
    7-8-Breakfast
    8:15 Special teams meeeting
    9-11:30 Practice
    you have to eat, get treatment, taped and ready to go by 9.
    In that “3 hr lunch break” you have post practice meetings, treatment, lunch, then get ready taped and have pre-practice meeting.
    2:30-5 practice.
    Then weight lifting session, treatment and dinner before team meeting.
    7pm-team meeting
    7:30 Special teams
    8-10:30 Offense/Defense
    11 pm-Curfew.

You would quit after the 2nd day.

42. barronhastoholdorakpo says: Jul 16, 2011 12:34 PM

at ramofsteel, less injuries because of all the contact in OTA’s. Have you ever seen an OTA, or a Training camp day. There is very little contact. These guys are football players. These summer practices are two hand touch. Please let’s get real here about what these professional athletes can handle. These guys just want to spend more time on the golf course, or on a cruise while making millions. I say cut salaries according to how much “tough” summer training they miss. I am a firefighter, and we train to be the best at our jobs. Real training, real fire, real sweat. These guys really disgust me with this more money, less work garbage. Less injuries with less practice and conditioning….get real.

43. realitypolice says: Jul 16, 2011 12:34 PM

So the same players that say Goodell is taking all the manliness out of the game are now whining that they have to practice too much?

When I lived in Bethlehem, I would occasionally go to Eagles camp at Lehigh even though I’m not an Eagles fan.

During two-a-days, they only wore pads in the morning.

The afternoon sessions were shorts and helmets, no contact.

By 4 o’clock in the afternoon, half the team was at Starter’s Pub doing shots of Jaegermeister.

They seemed to survive two-a-days OK to me.

44. packerswambulance says: Jul 16, 2011 12:36 PM

I agree with hawkeye6, there’s probably going to be more injuries than normal. There’s also going to be some really sloppy football as well. Just because the job description says “professional football player” does not mean all of them live it as a professional. Guys will show up fat, weak, and slow.
    I’m going out and do something else on Sunday afternoon and watch some on the DVR, skip all commercials, and not buy any NFL gear.

45. whyjaaay says: Jul 16, 2011 12:36 PM

So, you guys wanna get paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars a year, have all the incentives of retirement after X, single digit amount, of years, be famous and [mostly] respected, AND have it easy come practice and hard work time? Oh…

46. igglesnut says: Jul 16, 2011 12:37 PM

You have to practice tackling to be good at it. Year in and year out you see teams that had a “relaxed” training camp struggle. In addition, if you don’t have enough padded practices you’re more likely to be get hurt because you haven’t learned to make a clean form tackle or you’re just rusty at it.

Listen, I’m all for improving helmet technology to reduce concussions as much as possible. However, this is tackle football, not touch. You can’t negotiate out the physicality of the sport without reducing league-wide ratings and revenue which leads to less money for the players. Players know what they are getting into when they sign their contracts. No one forces them to play professional football for a living. There is a certain long-term risk to their health they have to accept in return for the salaries they make compared to safer professions.

47. laeaglefan says: Jul 16, 2011 12:38 PM

If less contact in training camp means less starting players going on IR before the season even starts, then I’m all for it. Its bad enough that we lose star players once the games really count. Its a real shame to lose them from “friendly fire” in practice sessions.

48. Slim Charles says: Jul 16, 2011 12:52 PM

I like how the lardasses that comment on here would have trouble doing 1/64 a days. I’m sure you wouldn’t complain if your favorite player blows out an ACL in an offseason workout.

49. mushin9 says: Jul 16, 2011 12:54 PM

Odds that the players get the language to reduce ota contact: 100%

Odds that succesful programs and coaches adhere to either the letter or spirit of the reduction: 0%

Hope the first few whistle blowers enjoy bagging groceries. If the policy has no teeth it will be ignored. Especially by the “hoodie”. “thank you commish for this week’s fine. See you again next wednesday”

50. typhilly21 says: Jul 16, 2011 1:01 PM

@kevinwi

Money, the owners got more money and a rookie wage scale(less money to busts). That’s all they really wanted anyway.

51. hedleykow says: Jul 16, 2011 1:04 PM

Kids these days.

Back when I played in the NFL we had four a days.

52. skoobyfl says: Jul 16, 2011 1:07 PM

Less work / more pay is exactly why america is in the spot that it’s now.

53. AndreJohnson80 says: Jul 16, 2011 1:10 PM

I see players starting to getting injured, due to not putting in enough work in TC. They need to build up stamina, and get their bodies used to playing. I just don’t think this is a good idea.

54. chazk100 says: Jul 16, 2011 1:14 PM

Relax people. Its probably a negotiating tool. The will “compromise” on two-a-days in exchange for something else. Just like owners did with “right of first refusal”.

And relax on beating up the players. Unless your job involves risk of career-ending injury every time you show up, I dont think we can relate. And most of these guys aren’t “rich kids”; they’re mostly replaceable, league-minimum, non-guaranteed guys who are fortunate to get 3 or 4 years in the league.

Besides, “what we talkin about? We talkin about practice. Not a game, practice.”

55. freedomispopular says: Jul 16, 2011 1:18 PM

Tackling in the NFL is so crappy as it is. They arm tackle like they’re still laying in high school. So, sure, let’s reduce contact even further. I’m sure that will improve the quality of the tackling.

56. scott8nj says: Jul 16, 2011 1:47 PM

Somebody really made a brilliant move with the lockout insurance. Whoever made that move or came up with that idea deserves kudos. Playing that card at the right time really turned the tide of this negotiation.

57. mathsimillion says: Jul 16, 2011 1:48 PM

Didn’t coach Herb say it best… “The legs feed the wolf.”

These guys must be zoo wolves.

58. flboyindallas says: Jul 16, 2011 1:52 PM

At this rate the game will be two-hand touch after the next CBA.

59. geefan1 says: Jul 16, 2011 2:07 PM

Two-a-days are really a hold-over from he days when players didn’t train during the off-season and they needed they needed to get back into shape. Today the players train year round so that shouldn’t be a big issue. If I were the owners I’d trade two-a-days for off season conditioning and fitness tests as a condition of payment.

60. truwarier90 says: Jul 16, 2011 2:11 PM

maybe the pats can spend more time to steal signals.

61. norcal031 says: Jul 16, 2011 2:12 PM

WOW….you guys really just love to bash these football players as soft babies and I dont get it. Lets see any of you do what they do to their bodies year round. I laugh at the guy who sits at his desk on his butt for 8 hours and is calling out people who run into eachother at full speed for a living. We all know you are all racist stuck up people who talk s**t over the computer and get mad when players dont sign your stuff. Get lives!

62. hawkeye6 says: Jul 16, 2011 2:24 PM

@phillyforlife:

That’s exactly my sentiment. I believe there will be a higher than normal amount of injuries this year.

63. time2speakup says: Jul 16, 2011 2:46 PM

John Madden once said, “Play one down in a NFL game, and your body will never be the same for the rest of your life.” Amen!

64. chatham10 says: Jul 16, 2011 3:12 PM

Why don’t they just wait for the regular season since the tackling last year was weak.

65. jbluntz says: Jul 16, 2011 3:21 PM

Sheesh…. are you kidding me??? I’d do 2 a days 365 days a year for the money these guys make… give me a break!!!

66. thefiesty1 says: Jul 16, 2011 3:24 PM

No contact in practice will result in more injuries in early games and get paid anyway. What a Deal! Little rich crybabies got the owners to bend over without Vasoline.

67. goforthanddie says: Jul 16, 2011 3:27 PM

I can see less contact in camp, that sounds reasonable. Whining about two-a-days is a bit much, esp. with less contact.

68. duffer58 says: Jul 16, 2011 3:54 PM

Two a days were always barbaric I dont blame the players one bit. Players today work out virtually year round.

69. sketchydave says: Jul 16, 2011 4:05 PM

Really? What happened to football being a gridiron sport? Sounds like my high school wrestling practice was harder.

I’d love to get paid even 50gs a year to play a sport and work 40 hours a week for 7 months while keeping in shape for offseason.

70. vmannj says: Jul 16, 2011 4:08 PM

If the players are fighting for safety, then I don’t want to hear anymore crying when they get fined for cheap shots and head hunting. More than anything else, THIS sounds like the issue could divide players (offense/defense).

71. teal379 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:37 PM

All these people talking like a 2 a day practice is a real hardship. How no one here could keep up and that this is a huge physical demand.

Tell you what – instead of a 2 a day practice schedule for 2 months or so – why don’t they pick up a 60lb ruck, a rifle and spend a year in Afghanistan or Iraq? Do that day in and out in the mountains and then in the 115 degree heat. All for 2000 bucks a month. Then we’ll talk about who and what is and isn’t tough.

I mean no one works as hard as a NFL player during 2 a days – right? It’s damned inhuman what they go thru….

Quit your complaining, suck it up and be men. Seriously – all this crying over a job you CHOOSE to do. NO ONE forces you to play in the NFL.

Hike up your damned skirt and do the practices and be happy it’s what you have to do.

72. txhc says: Jul 16, 2011 7:41 PM

Hell no, this is football! Get out there and hit each other in the mouth or GTFO.

73. gcsuk says: Jul 16, 2011 11:28 PM

teal379 says:
    ————————————————–
    Kudos to you, teal. Thanks for putting some real perspective on this. And to hell with the fool that gave you a thumbs down.

74. rcali says: Jul 17, 2011 3:43 PM

Keep complaining and you’ll be replaced by robots