Saturday meetings wrap up

Dallas Cowboys' owner Jones speaks to the media outside a Manhattan law office in New York AP

In perhaps the clearest sign yet that the owners and players are extremely close to a deal, we have a report that the two sides don’t plan to meet face-to-face for negotiations again, unless it’s necessary.

Albert Breer of NFL.com reports that the the remaining details of the CBA are expected to be worked out via email, phone, videoconference, Skype, Twitter, and Instant Message.   (Yes, we added the last three with no factual evidence.)

Casual Saturday is wrapping up, as the lawyers for both sides have left the building.  Communication may continue Sunday between lawyers, but it won’t with face-to-face meetings.  DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell are also said to be in communication.

The slowing pace of things is a sign that both sides are comfortable with where things stand.  The two sides will meet with mediator Arthur Boylan Monday evening and Tuesday.   Breer reports those meetings could take place in New York, rather than Minneapolis.

At this point, it would be a surprise if an agreement isn’t reached next week.

UPDATE: Boylan will meet with the parties in New York City.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
32 Responses to “Saturday meetings wrap up”
  1. 305phinphan says: Jul 16, 2011 5:25 PM

Hopefully I can live long enough to see week 1 games, terminal cancer sucks!

2. possiblecabbage says: Jul 16, 2011 5:29 PM

They really need to hurry up and finish this. I’m jonesin’ for some free agency news. I’d like to see the lawyers stay up late to finalize the language, the owners vote to approve on Sunday Morning, the union reforms on Sunday Afternoon, on Monday the courts finish with the case, and on Tuesday the lockout is officially lifted for good.

Come on! Let’s make it happen! I never thought I would miss OTAs so much.

3. jamie54 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:32 PM

Here’s to you 305phinphan, peace be with you. One reason we watch is to entertain and get us away from everyday life. It’ll happen for sure, hang in there another couple months.

4. richsaint says: Jul 16, 2011 5:33 PM

I hope you do as well 305phinphan, keep up the fight! To the 5 people who clicked dislike on his post, actually read a effin post before you click like or dislike.

5. greatminnesotasportsmind says: Jul 16, 2011 5:36 PM

Or the “cold water” approach, the two sides are so far apart, they are leaving without scheduling another meeting…

6. dewalt2990 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:38 PM

Time to restore the roar!

7. pacash80 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:40 PM

Leggo!

8. jjrs89 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:42 PM

New CBS should include a cure for cancer

9. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 16, 2011 5:44 PM

YESSSS!!!

10. jaderbear76 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:48 PM

Hope you play the lions and get a nice win 305phinphan!

11. movieman5 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:49 PM

“At this point, it would be a surprise if an agreement isn’t reached early in the week.”
    So we can berate and call you out if a deal is not reached by tuesday night at 11:59PM. I will come with the pitchfork and gasoline.

12. patsforever says: Jul 16, 2011 5:56 PM

@305phinphan, sorry to hear that, good luck.

13. sonic5abi says: Jul 16, 2011 5:59 PM

mortreport Chris Mortensen
    It ain’t over til it’s over. Filed to ESPN that NFL & NFLPA negotiations necessary Mon and Tues in Wash DC w Judge Boylan. On SC in 7 min
    4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

14. tomsd1 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:59 PM

So what about the QB’s antitrust suit? Do you think the Owners are just going to ignore that?

15. kane337 says: Jul 16, 2011 5:59 PM

Hurry up and get it done. Mmmmmkay? Thanks

16. erfoster says: Jul 16, 2011 6:00 PM

to 305phinphan…prayers sent your way.

17. longislandcowboysfan says: Jul 16, 2011 6:00 PM

Lets hope you get to see the dolphins win another Superbowl. And for both of our sakes lets hope it takes a while.

18. beastofeden says: Jul 16, 2011 6:01 PM

So all that was really missed was a few players from team website’s and a couple weeks of free agency….This website had it’s readers thinking the sky was falling prior to the “lockout”.

19. sdboltaction says: Jul 16, 2011 6:02 PM

I’m sorry to hear you’re going to die, phinphan.

20. hobartbaker says: Jul 16, 2011 6:16 PM

They don’t want to go back to Minnesota to face the wrath of Carl Eller. Rajah and DeMo find it undignified when he holds them each by an ear and pushes their faces together to speed up negotiations.

21. kom2k10 says: Jul 16, 2011 6:26 PM

305phinphan says:
    Jul 16, 2011 5:25 PM
    Hopefully I can live long enough to see week 1 games, terminal cancer sucks!
    ——–

Never give up man! Thoughts and prayers for you…

22. thefiesty1 says: Jul 16, 2011 6:35 PM

Good luck 305phinpfan. The big C is a real bitch. Hang in there and stay strong and enjoy the season as best you can.

23. dccowboy says: Jul 16, 2011 6:54 PM

That appears to mean that next weekend we’ll be talking about who signed where and why and who’s doing well in TC. Praise whatever entity or entities you care to acknowledge (or not) as being in a position superior to humans.

24. trbowman says: Jul 16, 2011 7:02 PM

“Hopefully I can live long enough to see week 1 games, terminal cancer sucks!”

You should get free tickets to see your favorite team week one.

25. lobos539 says: Jul 16, 2011 7:33 PM

305phinphan…thoughts and prayers with you! Keep fighting brother and I hope you get to see many more week one’s!!!

26. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jul 16, 2011 8:04 PM

@305phinphan

I doubt it.

27. 305phinphan says: Jul 16, 2011 8:11 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words guys that really means a lot to me. I doubt I will get to see the Dolphins win the Superbowl even if the doctor gave me 10 more years but like someone posted above, the NFL is a scapegoat to real life problems (at least for me it is) and I’m very happy that a deal is in reach. I don’t think the players/owners will ever realize how much this game means to us fans but I’m glad to see this lockout is almost over. God Bless all of you!

28. trbowman says: Jul 16, 2011 8:26 PM

Good luck to you. Seriously, Dolphins should hook you up with free game tickets.

29. hobartbaker says: Jul 16, 2011 8:49 PM

Dolphins will give phin free tickets. Once it’s proven beyond a doubt that the cancer is terminal.

30. cajunraider says: Jul 16, 2011 9:21 PM

@305phinphan….

Keep your head up brutha!!! I will be launching mad prayers on your behalf. One thing I can’t stand is when I read an article that says “this person or that person” LOST their battle with cancer. They didn’t LOSE!! They WON!! Their spirit lives on and the cancer has nothing else to feed on!! It’s inevitable that our physical presence passes on at some point….but your spirit will live on bro. And I will be rooting for you and your fins this year.

31. CKL says: Jul 16, 2011 10:08 PM

305 phinphan,
    Late to the post but my best wishes as well. As a Pats fan I know well that your team has mine’s # quite often (especially those early season games in Mia-grr!)but I would gladly swallow a loss on one of ‘em to make you happy. :)

32. phonecops says: Jul 17, 2011 12:51 AM

305phinfan, I wish you luck.
    Last December I was diagnosed with cancer. 7 weeks of Chemo and radiation hit me hard but I had the playoffs and the superbowl to get me by.
    As a Packer fan, I can say I enjoyed every game.
    So I can happily say
    “Last year was the year we won it all”
    not the year I had cancer, or the year I got sick. I hope you get to have that feeling soon. Until then, enjoy what you can, and let the rest go.