Jaguars top priority is to sign Marcedes Lewis long term

Marcedes Lewis,  David Garrard AP

We’ve already guessed what the Jaguars will do in free agency.  First up, they want to get their own house in order.

Jaguars G.M. Gene Smith told Tania Gangula of the Florida Times-Union that signing Pro Bowl tight end Marcedes Lewis to a long-term deal is “at the top” of the team’s to-do list after the lockout.

Lewis has said he’s not thrilled with being given the franchise tag.  It’s possible he won’t show up for work before getting his new deal.

“All I can do is be optimistic about it,” Lewis said. “I think both sides have an idea of where we want to go. I’m just going to continue to handle my side and let them take care of that. I’m hoping we can get it done and get me in camp.”

It sounds like there is a solid chance the Jaguars will also try to bring back linebacker Kirk Morrison, possibly in the three day window teams can speak to their own free agents.  (AKA “Tampering Season.”)

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Jaguars top priority is to sign Marcedes Lewis long term”
  1. pacash80 says: Jul 17, 2011 5:01 PM

Haha maybe the Jags can get a few fans?

2. hedden93 says: Jul 17, 2011 5:08 PM

Best blocking TE in the league. Dude dominates Defensive ends.

3. goawayeverybody says: Jul 17, 2011 5:23 PM

He should have a huge year.

4. hedden93 says: Jul 17, 2011 5:34 PM

@pacash80

Taking a shot at the Jags fanbase . . . how original.

5. jvillenole says: Jul 17, 2011 5:59 PM

@pacash80

Haha…maybe you can get a clue!

6. hokies34 says: Jul 17, 2011 6:04 PM

very underrated TE , would be top 3 if he was a team like the Colts , Pats or Packers

7. hokies34 says: Jul 17, 2011 6:05 PM

on a team*

8. jagsbaby says: Jul 17, 2011 7:25 PM

pacash80 – don’t tell me that’s the best you had?! Really?! hardy har har har – get a life.

9. jagsbaby says: Jul 17, 2011 8:57 PM

hokies34 so you’re telling me he’s not a top 3 because he plays for the Jaguars? I don’t agree. He probably doesn’t get the recognition he deserves because he plays in a small market, but that has nothing to do with his talent level. He’s every bit of the “top 3″ TE in the league right now.

10. jvillenole says: Jul 17, 2011 9:48 PM

@hokies34…He was the starting TE in the Probowl. What else do you want?

11. therillest says: Jul 17, 2011 9:53 PM

I say make him go one more season without the butterfingers before u pay him…anyone can play lights out in a contract year, now lets see if he can maintain that level of performance….

12. paulbrownsrevenge says: Jul 17, 2011 10:40 PM

He’ll be back home in L.A. soon. Maybe the jags will change their name when they leave Jokesinville.

13. jluttrell32 says: Jul 18, 2011 1:25 AM

@hedden93 says “Best best blocking TE in the league….”

Kind of funny, isn’t it? That was supposedly the knock on him coming out of college. He wasn’t projected to be a good blocker due to his size (weight) and his upside was his hands. He’s turned out to be one of the top TE’s at both skills.

14. clintonrb says: Jul 18, 2011 1:59 AM

Most certainly a top tier tight end, has had top notch numbers recently but can I ask why his numbers were so weak his first couple of years? Learning curve,? Not starting?

15. clintonrb says: Jul 18, 2011 2:06 AM

After looking again he has one really good year, the rest were sub 50 reception years with only 2 touchdowns..he could easily convert back to being avg at best..

16. dameeze says: Jul 18, 2011 3:09 AM

hedden93, he’s a good blocking tight end… but he’s not the best. vernon is.

17. andyreidisfat says: Jul 18, 2011 6:59 AM

Its not fair to judge the people of Jacksonville for poor attendance. Its the NFL’s fault for giving them a team inthe first place. Its just not big enough to support a team. Especially with a 95 thousand seat stadium less than an hour and half away that has houses a team that these people have lived ad died for so many years.

This is the franchise I would move to L.A. if they have to move to L.A.. That being said I still say no NFL team will do well in L.A. unless they have some kind of destination touristy super stadium like they do in Dallas. And in L.A. It just might have to be even more insane.

18. gdeli says: Jul 18, 2011 8:41 AM

What does the name Marcedes come from? But then again my dad named me george. oh boy…ha

19. shackdelrio says: Jul 18, 2011 9:01 AM

He is the best blocking tight end in the NFL. Two years ago, he led all NFL tight ends in yards per catch average and was a Pro Bowl alternate. Last year he had 10 TDs and made his first Pro Bowl.

His career numbers mirror Dallas Clark and Heath Miller and he didn’t have the benefit of having Peyton and Big Ben throwing to him.

He was the best tight end in America when he was in high school. He was the best tight end in American when he was in college. I see no reason to think he won’t remain among the best tight ends in the pros.

Pay him.

20. P_Willy says: Jul 18, 2011 9:25 AM

Best blocking TE in the league. Dude dominates Defensive ends.
    ——————————-

He’s good, but please – the best blocking tight end is Vernon Davis. Not being a homer, but he’s a freak.

Make sure Mercedes can repeat the 2010 year before you extend for long term.

21. nationalmediacansuckit says: Jul 19, 2011 9:29 AM

andyreidisfat says:
    Jul 18, 2011 6:59 AM
    “Its not fair to judge the people of Jacksonville for poor attendance. Its the NFL’s fault for giving them a team inthe first place. Its just not big enough to support a team.”

Really. Another poor misinformed opinion. First, show me this poor attendance you speak of and don’t use the 2009 season b/c that was an aberration. We have consisitely put 64-65K in the stand season after season.

Now go back to previous season minus 2009 seasons . Second, I know you don’t know anything of Jacksonville, you just regurgitate everything you’ve read on here, but 1.4 million sounds big enough to me. Nice try though. I’ll be patiently waiting for a response.

22. therillest says: Jul 19, 2011 5:57 PM

Ok, I got my season tickets in the mail yestarday and I aims to use every damn one of them…so everyone needsto get their heads out of their asses and get these boys in camp!! GO JAGS!!!!