Reggie Wayne wants a new contract, but won’t hold out

Reggie Wayne, Jason Taylor AP

Colts receiver Reggie Wayne is set to make $5.95 million in 2011, the final season of the six-year, $39 million contract he signed in 2006. He’d like to make more than that, and he’d like a contract that lets him know he’ll finish his career in Indianapolis.

But Wayne says he’s not going to hold out to get what he wants.

“I’m a Colt. What else I’m gonna be?” Wayne told the Indianapolis Star. “I’m going to go to work. That’s what I do.”

Although the Indianapolis Star story describes $5.95 million for 2011 as “below market value for a player of Wayne’s caliber,” that’s debatable. Wayne’s numbers in 2011 — 111 catches for 1,355 yards — were spectacular, but there are a lot of receivers who could put up spectacular numbers with Peyton Manning throwing to them.

Furthermore, Wayne will turn 33 this season. The Colts found out the hard way with Marvin Harrison that giving a big contract to a receiver in his 30s can be a costly mistake.

Wayne also surely knows that the Colts’ top priority will be a new contract for Manning, and any other deals they do will have to fit into whatever cap room is left. And so Wayne is ready to accept that he just needs to keep working hard and hope for the best.

“I’ll keep doing my thing,” Wayne said. “Hopefully I’ll get another contract.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Reggie Wayne wants a new contract, but won’t hold out”
  1. fballguy says: Jul 17, 2011 9:26 AM

Refreshing.

2. ny82jy says: Jul 17, 2011 9:30 AM

No doubt Wayne is a great receiver. But Revis made you look weak in the wildcard game last year. 1 catch for 1 yard. Step it up more if you want that deal bro.

3. surly1n1nd1anapol1s says: Jul 17, 2011 9:45 AM

Reggie has always been respected amongst Colts fans. We’ve rarely had to tolerate prima donna wideouts.

4. metalhead65 says: Jul 17, 2011 10:06 AM

newsflash Reggie, at almost 6 million a year you are not underpaid. and is not just you anybody who makes the kind of money these guys do should never ever whine about being under paid. sure there are guys who make more than you who are not as good as you but that is life. nobody forced you to sign the deal you did so you and everybody else just needs shut up and make do with your paltry salary.

5. goindy2006 says: Jul 17, 2011 10:07 AM

This guy is a worker! His hard work and no-nonsense attitude will be rewarded by Jim & Bill. Just keep chopping word Reggie we love you bro!!!

Go Colts!

6. goindy2006 says: Jul 17, 2011 10:09 AM

Haha chopping wood rather!

7. justincorrect says: Jul 17, 2011 10:10 AM

“What else I’m gonna be?”

English teacher, maybe?

8. goindy2006 says: Jul 17, 2011 10:10 AM

This guy is a worker! His hard work and no-nonsense attitude will be rewarded by Jim & Bill. Just keep chopping-wood Reggie we love you bro!!!

Go Colts!

9. terripet says: Jul 17, 2011 10:29 AM

When the colts wr’s are healthy no one can stop them. Give reggie a 3 year deal.

10. dieharddolfan6493 says: Jul 17, 2011 10:48 AM

He disserves one, as soon as the lockout ends he should call up his agent and the Colts office and work on getting one, but right now the main thing on his mind should be the lockout ending.

11. mataug says: Jul 17, 2011 10:49 AM

Somehow the Colts don’t seem to have any diva WRs :S

12. CKL says: Jul 17, 2011 11:01 AM

I don’t think ANY QB can make a merely decent WR look SPECTACULAR…come on. Wayne is a talented WR. Period.
    Saying Manning MAKES Wayne “spectacular” is like me saying Brady MADE Moss. NOPE..it’s ridiculous.
    That said, I doubt Indy gives him a big extension offer.

13. denverdude7 says: Jul 17, 2011 11:16 AM

Reggie,

Hold out for about 9 million a year. You deserve it and the only way you will get it is to withold your services.

Remember the NFL is still a business first. Loyalty to the colors simply won’t work.

Either that, or demand a trade to Denver !!!

GO BRONCOS !!!

14. jamie0004 says: Jul 17, 2011 12:32 PM

Why didn’t any other receivers in Indy get 111 catches for 1300+ yards last year? I guess they don’t have any of the ‘lot of WRs’ that could put up those numbers with Peyton.

15. leftysmoke says: Jul 17, 2011 12:46 PM

Reggie pissed me off last year. His attitude seems to be more diva-like every season. You can also sense some coded attitude in his words. It seems like he’s just saying what he has to, and then when it comes time to get rolling, he will be upset about his situation.

#18 is up first, Reggie. You’ll get what you deserve.

GO COLTS!

16. gimmeabruschi says: Jul 17, 2011 1:48 PM

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for an extension if I were him. The Colts have this timed so he is up at 34 yo, and that will not be any big money contract at that age. Well played by Polian.

17. granadafan says: Jul 17, 2011 2:31 PM

As Schottenheimer said, most players who demand new contracts are hurting for money now.

18. valman61 says: Jul 17, 2011 2:49 PM

Metalhead:

You ripping Reggie Wayne for those comments is the equivalent of me ripping you for saying I think I do a good job and would love a raise, but in the meantime I’m gonna continue going to work, giving my all, and hoping for the best. I rip holdouts when need be, but in fairness you have to praise the guys who handle this the right way. Which by all appearances Reggie Wayne is. And I am not a colts fan at all.