Latest labor news: Boylan arrives, players file motion for summary judgment

George Atallah AP

The mediator is back in the building.

Arthur Boylan arrived in New York City Monday afternoon, fresh off his vacation.   According to multiple reports, he went straight from the airport to where lawyers for the NFL and NFLPA* are meeting Monday.

The original plan was for both parties to meet Boylan on his home turf in Minneapolis Tuesday.  That plan obviously changed.

It’s probably going to be a quiet Monday in labor news, but we can pass along word that the NFLPA* filed a motion for summary judgment, asking that the lockout be declared illegal.  The motion will be rendered a moot point if there is an agreement.

NFLPA* spokesman George Atallah told the New York Times this is just a procedural move and doesn’t indicate the state of negotiations.   We’d quibble with that slightly:  It indicates negotiations are ongoing, something both sides aimed to end four months ago.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Union
31 Responses to “Latest labor news: Boylan arrives, players file motion for summary judgment”
  1. jlporcher says: Jul 18, 2011 4:07 PM

2. thephantomstranger says: Jul 18, 2011 4:07 PM

I’m imagining Boylan getting off the plane in sport shirt, bermuda shorts, and Mickey Mouse ears with “Artie” printed on it.

3. lionshawk says: Jul 18, 2011 4:12 PM

So was the media question to Boylan in that picture, “Give us your best DeSmith impersonation.”?

He grabbed his lower lip and pulled to his nose prior to taking the picture.

Pretty good effort.

4. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 18, 2011 4:14 PM

Sooooooooooo?????? … your’e telling me theres a chance!

What was all that 1 in million talk.

5. gtmann says: Jul 18, 2011 4:15 PM

Haven’t we been down this road once already ?

6. nevermore52 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:18 PM

This is worse than Chinese water torture. I’m finding myself looking forward to free agency as if it’s the start of the season. There may be riots when the actual games start.

7. goawayeverybody says: Jul 18, 2011 4:19 PM

8. goindy2006 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:19 PM

Get it DONE!!!

9. superdanlp says: Jul 18, 2011 4:21 PM

i disagree i want to know everything that happens

10. kom2k10 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:21 PM

The players have been saying “We just want to play football” for some time now… if this is true then they need to drop the lawsuits and sign the deal! The owners have conceded on several of the last “hang-ups”… It’s time for the players to give a little bit and finish this thing off and lets play some football!

11. brownsfn says: Jul 18, 2011 4:22 PM

I am starting to build an EXTREME hatred for the NFLPA and the players…whos with me on this???

12. pympdaddi says: Jul 18, 2011 4:25 PM

Git ‘er done!!!

13. deadeye says: Jul 18, 2011 4:30 PM

Why do the players care about getting the lockout lifted now? The new CBA will accomplish that, just focus on the agreement you clowns.

Man what a bunch of buffoons…

14. waxthat says: Jul 18, 2011 4:31 PM

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

15. bearsandjazz says: Jul 18, 2011 4:36 PM

I love you idiots who say things like

“please just let us know when the owners and the players ink that deal!……Im sure plenty agree with me.

If your sick of the stories that dont say “DEAL INKED” than dont read the stories. If your tired of hearing and readin stories updating the labor negotiations than change the Chan or read a different website but stop posting your displeasure with the contents of the story. Its your choice to read it and if you read it and have a problem with it before you read it than your the biggest idiot that this website is available to.

16. dwntwnbadboy19 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:36 PM

Hope he had fun on his vacation, gotta love his dedication.

17. mathsimillion says: Jul 18, 2011 4:41 PM

Weak.

18. bearskoolaid1985 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:41 PM

Sound like another power play from Kessler (THE NFL/NBA HATING LAWYER). Can the player please fire this Hitler want a bee.

19. southcakpanther says: Jul 18, 2011 4:46 PM

Just keep Drew Brees out of it.

20. gfan8611 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:46 PM

Well then just check this site Thursday night because I don’t think we should expect to know anything concrete until after the owners meeting.

21. Patriot42 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:48 PM

I have an idea, maybe they could just disband the NFL and make a new league.

22. ididntsaythat says: Jul 18, 2011 4:49 PM

These Lawyers dont know when to give it up!

23. ezra954 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:50 PM

I bet the owners use it as an excuse to walk away from the table

24. nfl25 says: Jul 18, 2011 4:57 PM

I seriously cant stand the players right now. You add this to the fact that Osi and Logan Mankins want to get something for themselves out of it. They obviously feel like the owners are close and just want to get it done.

25. brdnc says: Jul 18, 2011 4:59 PM

Probably a good sign that Boylan is in NY. When parties are drafting a complex agreement, it simplifies and speeds up things for the lawyers to walk down the hall and redraft the section, then bring it right back to the meeting. Would take longer and logistics would be more complicated if done in Minnesota.

26. bunjy96 says: Jul 18, 2011 5:02 PM

As usual, the players are milking it for all its worth.

If they had honest, respectable attorneys, this would have been over weeks ago.

Sick of them!

27. stevo8drum says: Jul 18, 2011 5:05 PM

No- I want to know when they fart or sneeze. Everything. Tell me everything.

28. jlporcher says: Jul 18, 2011 5:21 PM

bearsandjazz says:
    Jul 18, 2011 4:36 PM
    I love you idiots who say things like

———————————————–

Since it seemed like you jumped right into name calling….Stop acting like a girl and go change your tampon.

Check out my numbers…..seems like i got people others that side with me last I looked you had one thumbs up and you probably voted for it yourself :)

29. bjtmeyer says: Jul 18, 2011 5:46 PM

Disfunctional

30. bearsandjazz says: Jul 18, 2011 6:33 PM

jlporcher—-Your still missing the point. Your exactly whats wrong with this country. If you dont like it dont watch it, if you dont like it dont read it. If you dont like it dont listen to it. CHANGE THE CHANNEL, you’re a big boy you dont need those who write the stories to stop what they get paid to do just because JLPORCHER doesnt have the self control to read or not to read a story. If you are sick of reading stories about the PENDING LABOR NEGOTIATIONS than these sotries arent for you. Your like that loser at the restaurant that says “That Steak was undercooked, I ate the whole thing but I want a refund” Get a life and get some new Jokes by the way…..How elementary is that “Change your Tampon” thats really the best you could come up with. Whats Next a Poll Question asking if The Other Readers LIke Your ANSWER: Yes….no or Maybe so….Come on you SIMPLE MINDED IDIOT!!!

31. jlporcher says: Jul 19, 2011 7:55 AM

@bearsandjazz——–

My my my, so much anger. Truth be told sounds like your more angry over what you read online when Im sure theres other things way more important in your life to be feuding about.

Ill be whatever name you want me to be but before I give you that priviledge Ill have you know Im far from an “idiot”. Im 26 years old with a masters degree and in pursuit of my doctorate as we speak. I could go on but what does that prove?

Tocontinue on and berate someone with negative names over and over and use a lot of assumption and lame storied scenarios. Seems like someone didnt get hugged enough when they were a child…..”just sayin”