New deal adds $1 billion in benefits for retired players

DeMaurice Smith AP

As the NFL and NFLPA* continue to march toward an apparent deal to end the lockout, more information is coming out about what they’ve agreed to do for the retired players, who have consistently insisted that their needs have to be considered as part of any deal.

According to multiple reports, the proposed new Collective Bargaining Agreement includes $1 billion in new benefits for retired players over the life of the 10-year deal.

More than $600 million will be put into the “Legacy Fund” for retired players over the next 10 years.

We’ll be interested in hearing how retired players react to the new CBA, which from all indications will be ratified on Thursday. On first blush, it sounds like a good deal for them.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
47 Responses to “New deal adds $1 billion in benefits for retired players”
  1. derekjetersmansion says: Jul 18, 2011 5:42 PM

Wow. I mean, there was a time when it looked like De Smith would pay them no mind. This is stunning?

2. nyctexan says: Jul 18, 2011 5:43 PM

Mmmhmm… that’s great… so pumped… how about y’all GET THE FARKING DEAL DONE ALREADY!!!!!!!!

3. deadmanwalking47 says: Jul 18, 2011 5:43 PM

i’m glad they are gonna take care of the players who came and made the game into what it is now!

4. goawayeverybody says: Jul 18, 2011 5:44 PM

A very generous deal. Is it possible that all sides are going to be happy after the new agreement? Interesting.

5. thetwilightsown says: Jul 18, 2011 5:49 PM

I’ll believe it when it’s all said and done…just like this whole mess! FansFirstNow. Com!!!!

6. packers291 says: Jul 18, 2011 5:53 PM

What legally constitutes a “retired player”?

5 years experience? 3 years?

I’m sure someone who plays in just a handful of games won’t have access to that fund.

Also, how big was the fund prior to this agreement? This story doesn’t say if this $1 Billion is larger or smaller than the previous one.

Also, is the $1 Billion part of the 48% of the pie that the players get?

7. jarobinewsome says: Jul 18, 2011 5:56 PM

It’s about time the players that help build the league get some financial consideration…now let’s play!!! football

8. jakek2 says: Jul 18, 2011 5:56 PM

The deal should have been whatever to take care of the retirees and medical for life for current players.

9. kindbass says: Jul 18, 2011 5:57 PM

Good. They deserve whatever they can salvage of their health for turning this into America’s Game.

10. gdonz14 says: Jul 18, 2011 5:59 PM

That’s a billion with a b?? It won’t satisfy salty gale sayers but it should.

11. silverhornet says: Jul 18, 2011 6:00 PM

one BILLION dollars… quick, someone photoshop D Smith’s pinky going up to his mouth.

12. silverhornet says: Jul 18, 2011 6:02 PM

Mike Ditka is smoking a cigar somewhere today.

13. crumpledstiltskin says: Jul 18, 2011 6:03 PM

That 1 billion for 3,134 retired players and
    176 widows and surviving children of deceased Players for those keeping score.

Obviously those numbers go up, but the retired players should be happy.

14. jebdamone says: Jul 18, 2011 6:04 PM

i have been very interested to know what the new CBA was going to include for retired players and need to do more reading about the intricacies myself. considering the average career for an nfl player is under three years, i wonder who all qualifies for retirement benefits and for how long they qualify for them. i agree that it is very important to take care of the men that make this game great even after they are no longer playing but i would also be interested to know the parameters.

15. lowleadman says: Jul 18, 2011 6:05 PM

That number will need to be improved upon but it’s a great start for the retirees.

16. robf2010 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:07 PM

Knee replacement surgery costs $30k-$50k right now, not 500,000.

17. tommyf15 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:08 PM

jakek2 says:

Not even close. For total knee replacement surgery, even if post-surgical inpatient rehabilitation is required, the total cost is around $60,000 – $70,000 at the very most unless you’re having done by a “doctor to the stars”.

18. kingjoe1 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:14 PM

I have a better idea. Tell the retired players to get jobs like the rest of us and lower the cost of our seats.

19. ftwatty says: Jul 18, 2011 6:15 PM

jakek2: is your google in working order? I searched the cost of a knee replacement, for which I saw numbers from 35k to 65k for an uninsured patient. Meeting in the middle at 50k for a total knee replacement, that would come to 20k knee replacements over 10 years. That’s a lot of knees, even for the sausage king.

20. justadude71 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:17 PM

jakek2 says: Jul 18, 2011 5:56 PM

_______________________________

conservative figure? How about 8 – 10 times over the average cost of knee replacement surgery. The billion does not need to pay for single surgeries either. Cost of such surgeries is greatly reduced by a good health care plan.

21. ramofsteel says: Jul 18, 2011 6:18 PM

Wonder who exactly will qualify for this “legacy fund.” HoFs? Only those who have injuries as a result of playin?

Either way, it’s progress. NOW JUST SIGN THE DAMN CONTRACT. MAKE NEXT MONDAY THE CRAZIEST DAY IN NFL HISTORY!!!!

22. greatminnesotasportsmind says: Jul 18, 2011 6:20 PM

What legally constitutes a “retired player”?

5 years experience? 3 years?

Also, is the $1 Billion part of the 48% of the pie that the players get?

181
    ————————————————————————

I believe in the last deal you had to play seven years before you could get the pension. My guess it would be identical. I would hate to see a dumbs$ such as Onterrio Smith who couldn’t keep clean for 5 minutes get any benefits for a year and half of service.

23. rugdog100 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:22 PM

Cudos to Ditka, Matt Birk and others for their efforts on behalf of retired players over the past several years. Also, a tip of the hat to Carl Eller for his work. If anybody deserves to come out “well” on this deal, it’s the retired players who helped build this league into what it is and got very little for it. Finally, something I can feel go about in this deal.

24. decaturstaley75 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:23 PM

If it is a 10 year agreement, that works out to $100 million per year. Measure that against a revenue stream of $9 billion annually, which figures to grow, and it works out to about 1%. I’m not sure that is what the retired players have in mend

25. rugdog100 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:24 PM

Good, that is.

26. dewalt2990 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:27 PM

one BILLION dollars, mwahaha

27. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 18, 2011 6:29 PM

So this picture is D. Smith sippin on some banana cognac in celebration?

28. tomwill21 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:32 PM

How about they invest their money and learn a real trade instead of continually looking for handouts?

29. londonbengal says: Jul 18, 2011 6:33 PM

‘legacy Fund’ = good
    overpaying unproven rookies = bad

30. jjrs89 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:33 PM

Who cares? Play ball already

31. realtalkdoitall4rm says: Jul 18, 2011 6:38 PM

jake

“Not really. If it costs 500,000 for surger(ies) to replace a knee (and that is a conservative figure), $1B will cover 2,000 surgeries. Never mind players like Earl Campbell who will be treating for 35 years if he lives to 70 or the countless others with neuro problems.”

its called health insurance. Group HMO c’mon man!

32. bigbabies says: Jul 18, 2011 6:41 PM

With a deal like this for retired players I would bet the farm the life span of a player will be dramatically shortened. A lot of the players continue on because they love the game, for others they simply cant afford to retire, until now.

33. cookie2117 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:41 PM

Drew brees is pissed

34. purplehayseuss says: Jul 18, 2011 6:53 PM

I’ve read this piece twice. I can’t find the part where $400M is added to the “more than $600M over the next decade” to make the headline true. I hope the players on whose shoulders today’s game of football is built know where that $400M is. $600M does not equal $1B.

MDS, did you leave something out? Or do you, like our government, believe that we don’t notice something like $400 Million dollars?

That much money would almost make Peyton Manning’s next contract, I’d think someone would notice.

35. pacificamjr says: Jul 18, 2011 6:54 PM

bad health vs. Ditka?

id take Ditka every time… unless the disease was called “DITKA Syndrome”

36. Deb says: Jul 18, 2011 6:55 PM

I see this “new deal” headline and think the stupid thing is finally signed … but no. Pfffft!!!

This is excellent news, though. Players have only been getting fair-market salaries for about two decades. The league owes a debt to those players from earlier eras who weren’t paid commensurate with the revenues they generated. Many of those players have been struggling to deal with healthcare issues that have followed them into retirement. I hope these funds will help compensate for their financial hardships.

37. Patriot42 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:01 PM

I think I will become a surgeon if they get a good chunk of 1/2 million for knee replacement. wow

38. valman61 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:03 PM

Jakek2:

Your post is the definition of ignorance. Have you even taken 5 seconds to think that maybe the billion can be partially pooled to purchase group medical insurance for qualifying players? Maybe there’s a small chance the nflpa will actually offer insurance rather than pay retail for surgeries? You know, like the other 99.9999999% of corporations and employers in this country.
    Last time I checked, my company isn’t paying 500k on surgery, they pay about 400k in insurance premiums per year. And that covers everyone.

39. rugdog100 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:04 PM

“decaturstaley75″… What have the retired players been getting up until now?

40. valman61 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:09 PM

Wow pft planet is really showing off it’s fine intellect today.

Purplehayseuss,

You do understand that the legacy fund is only a portion of the retired players benefits right? So let’s say they offer health care for 200 million, 200 million on other programs for the retired guys, and than put 600 into the legacy fund that it still equals a billion? The guy wrote a blog post, mentioning where the majority of funds would go, not a line by line budget.

41. Spencer says: Jul 18, 2011 7:14 PM

Fine, great, sign the deal.

42. dempsey63 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:05 PM

That $1 billion is contingent upon the 1972 Dolphins ending their annual champagne celebration.

43. suckittrebek76 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:27 PM

Those greedy retired players. Will they stop at nothing to get every last red cent?

44. purplehayseuss says: Jul 18, 2011 8:30 PM

valman61;
    No, I did not understand what you said about the Legacy fund or whatever it’s called. I called into question the accuracy of the title of an article written by a supposed writer. It says 1 Billion in the title, then does not substantiate that figure in the piece. You clearly eat, sleep and breathe this whole lockout debacle. I have a life. Questioning my intellect puts your own on a limb. MDS could at least have hinted where the remaining money was coming from, and he did not. I read these ‘articles’ to learn more about what I don’t know. MDS appetized me then took away the steak and potatoes.
    You have now stolen my dessert. NO tip for you.

45. valman61 says: Jul 18, 2011 11:38 PM

Purplehayseuess:

My apologies on the spoiler. No I’m not a huge lockout guru, well actually I am but I really don’t know all that much about the retired players benefit structures. But I am an accountant with an MBA so I’m thinking the education probably gave me a leg up and I sometimes assume others should be able to figure things out how I do. My apologies for being snoody. Anyways, yes the answer to your question is the legacy fund is a portion of the retired players benefits and the rest goes into other programs for them, none of which I actually know of specifically.

46. hobartbaker says: Jul 19, 2011 12:23 AM

Carl Eller held the CBA up by it’s feet and shook all of the money out of it’s pockets. Then told it to get out of Minnesota while the going was good.

47. robf2010 says: Jul 19, 2011 11:14 AM

No apology necessary, Huff/Kramer.

Drew Brees