Sheriff’s Department says deadly shooting of ex-NFL player was justified

davidleeturner

A week after a police officer shot and killed ex-Cincinnati Bengal David Lee Turner, the Kern County Sheriff’s Department has concluded its investigation and said the shooting was within department policy.

ABC 23 News in Bakersfield reports that the Sheriff’s Department says Deputy Aaron Nadal was justified in using deadly force because Turner struck him in the back of the head with a bag containing two 24-ounce beer cans.

Even if it’s true that Turner hit Nadal with a bag containing beer cans, the conclusion that Nadal was therefore justified in killing Turner is troubling. And at least one witness says Turner didn’t hit Nadal, and that the Turner only raised the bag he was carrying in response to police officers hitting him.

“I saw the stuff flying because they kept hitting him, and they made the bag fly up because they kept hitting him, but he didn’t hit anybody. He didn’t do anything; he just followed their rules,” said Phyllis Elijah, who was at the scene of the incident. “So then deputies just shot him — execution-style is what I call it. I later hear people screaming, and I heard somebody say, ‘Why did you shoot my dad for no reason?'”

We hope this is not the end of the investigation of the shooting, which took place in front of two of Turner’s teenage children. The Sheriff’s Department shouldn’t be the final arbiter of whether its deputy acted appropriately in killing David Lee Turner.

Permalink 127 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
127 Responses to “Sheriff’s Department says deadly shooting of ex-NFL player was justified”
  1. seanb20124 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:47 PM

Sad

2. orthodoxdj says: Jul 18, 2011 6:49 PM

Welcome to my hometown’s “justice” system.

3. firerogergoodell says: Jul 18, 2011 6:52 PM

Justified!? Stupid pigs. That whole department should be fired if they call that justified. They executed an innocent man in front of his kids. This is the most troubling story I’ve ever read on PFT. I can’t wait to see the lawsuit. They deserve everything they get and more.

4. kingjoe1 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:58 PM

Thank goodness. It is sad for policemen to be physically attacked and then justify their use of force. People need to respect the police. You don’t police shooting people in my neighborhood because people don’t attack the police, they respect their profession and understand they have families to go home to everynight.

5. cassrangers says: Jul 18, 2011 7:02 PM

Those cops should be put in prison for murder… not just fired.. screw that noise, this was a homicide

6. wojowbk says: Jul 18, 2011 7:02 PM

Wow this is really sad. Even if he did hit a cop with a beer can it’s a goddamn BEER CAN, that doesn’t justify the cop wagging his dick around and killing a man right in front of his son. What’s even worse the dude was already getting his ass beat for buying alcohol for his 19 year old son (which is stupid as hell anyway since the drinking age in Europe and everywhere else is 18).

It’s really, really getting hard to like cops nowdays.

7. smacklayer says: Jul 18, 2011 7:03 PM

I carry a concealed gun around most places I go. If some guy hit me or my family with a bag of 2 cases of beer damn straight I will shoot him. That could definitely be deadly, if not cause severe bodily harm.

8. ikickgypsies says: Jul 18, 2011 7:04 PM

just wait, there’s still gonna be a small but loud minority cheering the cop for shooting someone, just because.

and kingjoe1: what??????

9. theroguescripter says: Jul 18, 2011 7:05 PM

POLICE STATE. This happens every single day all cops abuse the system and it is infuriating

10. jrs1972 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:06 PM

a police department investigating itself, really did even need to be said they consider it justified? The badge is a free pass to kill anyone you want.. google alvin weems of the chicago police for proof.

11. firerogergoodell says: Jul 18, 2011 7:06 PM

Thank Goodness? Let me guess, you are a cop? Because only a cop could justify shooting and killing a man that defended himself with a paper bag with 2 cans of beer in it. By witness account, he didn’t even hit them with the bag. He held it above his head in defense of being beaten. Sounds like a real danger to society.

12. phillyeagles22 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:07 PM

stfu kingjoe1. The man was probably shot because he was black. What a sad world we live in.. RIP.

13. fonetiklee says: Jul 18, 2011 7:08 PM

Whatever happened to using the minimum amount of force necessary? Did nobody have a damn taser that they could have used to protect themselves from the scary beer cans?

Our “justice” system is so screwed, from top to bottom.

14. onearmdragon says: Jul 18, 2011 7:08 PM

Killed with a gun, while armed with 2 beer? If that gets declared a weapon felony I am in trouble.

Ever hear of shooting his knee?

What about pepper spray and a baton?

How about offering to buy the pizza if he gives you a drink?

wtf

15. nfl25 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:09 PM

Just like its not cool to side with the owners, its not cool to side with the police. Since I turned 23 I realized saying I hate the cops doesn’t make me cool. Cops are the ones you want to come help when you call and they risk their lives for us, but they are just all dirty pigs right?

Can I ask how everyone knows that these police just decided to execute a man in front of a bunch of people? Maybe you guys should testify.

I feel sorry for the dude and his kids but you cant just say police did something wrong unless you know all the facts.

16. wetpaperbag2 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:09 PM

@kingjoe1: You just don’t “get it” do you? WITNESSES, (other than Turner’s family), SAW what happened and THEIR recollection of events differ GREATLY from what the deputies put in their report.

The independent witnesses state that Turner complied with the officers but kept beating him.

17. kingjoe1 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:10 PM

@firerogergoodell – Really pigs? When robbers come to your house, who you gonna call, an Ex-NFL running back who thinks it is okay to beat a policeman about the head with 48 ounces of beer?
    You disgust me.

18. Spencer says: Jul 18, 2011 7:10 PM

Police get away with murder all the time.

19. rockemsockemrobots says: Jul 18, 2011 7:12 PM

When have one these investigations ever concluded that its on department was not justified in something?

Oh Justice.

20. therolandobottom says: Jul 18, 2011 7:12 PM

Nobody knows the facts, but to slam either the police or Turner is ridiculous. All you are doing is speculating on the incident. Over 80 police officers have been killed in the line of duty this year. How many people die in your profession. Quit judging.

21. joey49er says: Jul 18, 2011 7:14 PM

man …if this is true and another black man is shot for no reason….. dont u think that the 1st thing u should do is put ur hands in the air and not put up a fight.. sounds like another race claim against the white man

22. hubb1545 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:17 PM

“Even if it’s true that Turner hit Nadal with a bag containing beer cans, the conclusion that Nadal was therefore justified in killing Turner is troubling.”

A bag containing beer cans is a deadly weapon or at the bare minimum can cause serious physical injury. If you want proof find a watermelon, cantaloupe, or something else and swing a bag containing beer and hit it. Now imagine that is your face. Officers have a right to be safe and protect themselves. They have families, children, wives, etc… Any officer who is facing serious physical injury or deadly force is justified in using deadly force (including their firearm). There are countless numbers of court cases that set the rules when, if, and how an officer can use deadly force. Protecting themselves from serious physical injury or deadly force (including a deadly weapon) is the GOLD standard for justification for the use of deadly force.

However, if the suspect was not attempting to swing the bag or no longer was a threat to the officer then his force was not justified and thus tragically criminal.

23. benismoney says: Jul 18, 2011 7:17 PM

@kingjoe1 Are you really that naive?

24. rando74 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:17 PM

The sad thing is the bullies–errr-cops get to keep doing this. Your telling me the cop couldnt have just maced him or used his club? Arent they trained to take down people. I never heard of anyone being killed by two beer cans. Just another incident where idiots with power trips can hide behind badges. No fault was found because they protect their own at all costs. Works perfect since the majority are corrupt anyway.

25. nfl25 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:18 PM

Why don’t people understand that cops don’t know if a guy who is attacking them is going to stab them or shoot them.

Just like everyone says they hate the new nfl rules cuz a defensive player only has a split second to make a decision where to hit a guy and the new rules force you to think of how u will hit the receiver. Well what about a guy that has a wife and kids at home and he doesn’t get a yellow flag thrown if he is wrong, he gets a knife to the gut and his life could be over. He doesn’t get to watch his kids grow up.

Cops are in such bad situations, so the best thing to do is not fight with them. If you fight they have no idea what u will do. Think of how many times cops were trying to just break something up and they get killed, so they might get trigger happy cuz they are scared. So you gotta just do what they say, just like you would teach ur kids

If the cop did shoot him for no reason then he deserves everything he will get. I don’t know what happened in this story cuz I wasn’t there, but neither were any of you.

26. cw3214 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:19 PM

Even when there are multiple witnesses who say that the man didn’t attack the officers? It is justified to shoot a man twice? Last time I checked, the police had stun guns. If the cop had time to pull his gun from his holster he definitely had time to take out a stun gun.

27. drevilstolemymojito says: Jul 18, 2011 7:21 PM

A word of advice to idiots and attorneys: Do not threaten or assault police officers. If you behave reasonably and cooperate with legitimate inquiries, you will find no trouble. If you have a toxic attitiude and show and lack of respect for their LEGITIMATE duty to enforce laws and protect the public, you WILL find trouble and YOU will put the officer in a position where he feels that he must defend himself.

28. realfootballfan says: Jul 18, 2011 7:22 PM

We’ve investigated ourselves and found that we didn’t do anything wrong.

Now, any of you other normal citizens get out of line, we’re going to pop a cap in you, too. We have guns,

we have more of a right to pull them whenever we feel like it, cause, uh, we’re police officers.

It’s like rock, paper scissors out here, he had the paper, and we used the rock.

Sincerely,
    Crooked Police Department, USA

29. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jul 18, 2011 7:23 PM

cue all the pro-police folks…
    you know, the ones who think this kind of stuff is ok… using deadly force unnecessarily.
    all the same ones who think janet reno and the DEA were justified in slaughtering david koresh and his wacky group just because they were wacky.
    and then there’s randy weaver, we won’t even open up that can of worms.

30. purp4lyfe says: Jul 18, 2011 7:23 PM

wow………something sounds fishy…

31. 1phd says: Jul 18, 2011 7:24 PM

@kingjoe1
    Yea, his two teenage children will have a lot of respect for the police. When you live in a neighborhood where they shoot first and ask questions later, it’s not in your DNA to treat the police with respect.

32. cwt123 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:27 PM

kingjoe1 says: Jul 18, 2011 6:58 PM

Thank goodness. It is sad for policemen to be physically attacked and then justify their use of force. People need to respect the police. You don’t police shooting people in my neighborhood because people don’t attack the police, they respect their profession and understand they have families to go home to every night.

______________________________________

Nice kingjoe1. Couldn’t agree more. What’s pathetic is that more people on this site felt that was a negative comment.

Shouldn’t expect much more, I guess, with the liberal media and such always taking the side of the criminals.

33. samoanjungle says: Jul 18, 2011 7:28 PM

None of us were there so why take a side when there are conflicting statements?
    Let’s just hope the investigation continues and is done by an impartial party.

34. tinbender2000 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:31 PM

Same thing happens in Portland all the time. In the last five years the police have killed seven or eight unarmed people (at least) usually with witnesses with no dog in the fight that the unarmed victim was not resisting. They find it justified every time.

35. norcaleagles says: Jul 18, 2011 7:33 PM

Of course the sheriffs department thinks it was justified. So many cops(not all) act tough behind their badges, but when something gets physical, they want to pull out their guns and shoot. They’re scared to take an a@$ whoopin and they get scared and would rather shoot than actually have to use some of that physical training and self defense training that theyve been put through and been taught to use when they find themselves in a tough situation. But hey, I guess its just easier for them to shoot the guy.

36. turgidsen says: Jul 18, 2011 7:35 PM

Actually , I think its crap. The “investigation” took less than a week. I was a cop and we will never know the truth about what happened. Every witness will have their own perspective . Unfortunately , the sheriff here seems to think that the use of deadly force was justified because of a simple misdemeanor and even if there was a scuffle was the beer can(s) considered a deadly weapon? Did the officer fear for his life ? Did the deceased have another weapon that we haven’t heard of ? and many more questions that would have taken longer than a week to investigate.

37. crunation says: Jul 18, 2011 7:35 PM

King joe got picked on in high school

38. stadanko says: Jul 18, 2011 7:35 PM

My favorite part of these kinds of stories are when people who weren’t there strongly state their opinion one way or another after reading a 5 paragraph blurb. “Respect the Police!” or “Stupid Pigs”. There are some situations where force is a justified self defense and some where officers are just being dickheads. I don’t know what happened here. I do agree more than a week of investigation from their own department is needed, but that doesn’t mean I think they are guilty.

39. orthodoxdj says: Jul 18, 2011 7:42 PM

Comparing this with ANYTHING in the NFL is incredibly ignorant.

Wanting an investigation is not the same as siding with criminals. People who are waving the American flag in support of the police in this case are forgetting that the American way is supposed to be about justice, and justice is not served by shoddy investigations. If the police acted justly, then I will be very thankful.

I support the police, which is not the same as saying I personally like every officer. There is a big difference. I’ve had cops give me crap for no reason. I was handcuffed, detained and put in a police car without being told why until much later. Surprise, I had no idea what was going on and I wasn’t who the police were looking for. A friend of mine who used to be a police officer in Bakersfield told me that he wasn’t surprised that I was treated that way (I was not detained according to proper procedure) because Bakersfield police repeatedly do things outside of procedure and get away with it. I respect the badge in principle. That does not mean throw reason and respect out the window.

“To protect and serve.”

40. rickditka says: Jul 18, 2011 7:45 PM

he was a felon. his kids are felons. no big loss.
    could someone, again, post the rap sheets of his children. let’s feel sympathy for bad things that happen to good people. not the animals that put themselves in a position to be shot by police.

41. joelvis72 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:46 PM

Another piece of crap off the streets. And all you tender-hearted guys saying “f the police” and “fire all those pigs” love to rebel against authority figures, until you actually need them.

42. nineroutsider says: Jul 18, 2011 7:55 PM

@samoanjungle

That is exactly what I am talking about. How can people have such potent opinions on this without really knowing the facts?

I am reserving judgment until more information comes out. We haven’t heard the last of this issue.

It is sad and sickening that every thing that happens in politics, sports, and society in general, is framed in the liberal/conservative argument.

How about this…before assuming an answer you try to discern some facts and apply some logic. Facts are hard to get these days, so you should be checking multiple sources. Try to learn new ides rather than constantly validating your worldview…

Most of you should be embarrassed to post the garbage I read on this site. Sadly, reading the message boards on the cable news sites make you guys all look like Ivy League grads.

Sad times in America to be sure…

43. crunation says: Jul 18, 2011 7:56 PM

2 beer cans doesn’t justify murder and its repeatedly being exposed police officers are being exploited for abusing their authority cause at the end of the day its what he says vs what you say
    . Law enforcement is a job and to think that they are golden boys cause they get paid to write tickets is kinda naive.

44. vikes921 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:57 PM

I love this site! It has the best insight, second to none. No one breaks the scoop better than you guys. I am here every day checking out the scoops, regardless of the time of season.

Having said that, please consider refraining from looking like the National Enquirer. Police shootings trigger a mountain of investigative staff with numerous checks and balances built in. Police investigations are done from a criminal end to ensure the officers did not commit any crime. This investigation is turned over to the District Attorney’s Office and they review the criminal investigation to ensure it was objective and impartial. I am guessing if your staff had dug further, they would have found something out on the Internet which showed this was the case.

The agency also does an internal investigation which ensures the officer acted within the policies and procedures of the agency. These policies and procedures must be in complaince with the Training and Standards of the State.

All of you who are slinging mud about the cover up by the cops should refrain from making judgment unless you know something factual about this case which isn’t in this article.

And as far as that goes, I hope the fine folks at profootballtalk.com decide to think a bit more before posting this type of nonsense. There are enough worthless blogs out there for whacko’s to rant on. Let’s keep this a fun place to learn and read about America’s greatest pasttime.

45. briman141 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:59 PM

You disgust me.
    ——————————————————

Who am I going to call, I will call my .45 cal holstered right next to my bed, and if during the day, I will call my .380 that I keep holstered on my side. No tazers? No pepper spray? No baton? Just shoot to kill? Give me a break, the police were way out of line here. As far as disgust goes, you disgust me kingjoe1, you must be a LEO to support a side as wrong as the police are in this misfortune.

46. goldenblurb says: Jul 18, 2011 7:59 PM

Go to youtube and search police brutality. Then see who you give the benefit of the doubt to. I’m not saying all cops are corrupt, but they sure as hell aren’t all saints either.

47. dixon29 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:02 PM

So he raised a bag of beer cans and the police shot him not once, but twice… and this is justified?!?

This is an outrage. The officers should be interrogated by an outside source (FBI or some other police). They should be drug tested for everything from marijuana to steroids.

The same rules need to apply to policeman that apply to everyone. I saw my best friend get an unopened beer bottle smashed on his head, had he shot the man he would be charged with murder as these cops should be.

48. kingjoe1 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:02 PM

Yea yea yea, I am the big bad person here for supporting the police. Blah blah blah.

I am not a cop, I was not picked on in high school, I simply am a person who learned to respect the police. Police who walk the beat, police who help keep our kids safe.

Anyone of you who are so eager to attack the cops, I beg you to watch the video on CNN about the Taliban executing police in Pakistan for doing their jobs. Maybe you can cheer that on as well.

49. cereal blogger says: Jul 18, 2011 8:02 PM

Where is the NRA on this one….gun totin’ crazy azz redneck country we live in folks

50. Topher says: Jul 18, 2011 8:07 PM

And they wonder why we hate the police.

51. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jul 18, 2011 8:24 PM

Here in Canada delivering blows to the head is considered deadly force, so if the law in the US sees it the same way they were technically justified to use it. What they teach you as either an officer or a security guard is to use the next level higher if needed on the Use Of Force continuum. Thus, they used it.

The real problem is whether there was another solution to solve the issue, more than likely there was. They should have used their other tools first. Tasers and asps would have been the better solution, but then again I wasn’t there..

52. oakland1981 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:26 PM

it amazes me how uneducated people are. there are so many factors that go into a police officer making the decision to use deadly force. everyone wants to rush to judgment when it comes to public service jobs. no one judges you at the office or factory if you mess up. just remember most people hate the police until they need them to advise them on their adult problems.

53. psychoraider904 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:37 PM

It’s sad when you can’t even trust the people, (who are paid by our tax dollars), that are here to protect and serve. I know all cops aren’t bad people, but it seems more and more you hear stories like this.
    But yet we’ll let a baby killer like Cassie Anthony walk free.
    Only in America.

54. crunation says: Jul 18, 2011 8:39 PM

America… middle east… kinda moot comparison

55. pigeonpea says: Jul 18, 2011 8:40 PM

wetpaperbag2 says:

I suspect the “independent witnesses” you cite are likely lowlife scum who hate cops as much as you do. Hardly what I would call an objective recollection.

56. melonnhead says: Jul 18, 2011 8:40 PM

Yeah not all cops are saints, but people who have been arrested almost 30 times likely aren’t either.
    But yeah let’s give the habitual offender and the witness says his “child” said “why did you shoot my dad for no reason?” (sure, sounds plausible to me) benefit of doubt and execute that f’ing cop tomorrow, we don’t need no stinking trial.

Bring on the thumbs down votes, I like it when morons don’t like me.

57. jfluke65 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:41 PM

I bet I could kill someone with a bag containing 2 (presumably) full beer cans, or soda even. In fact, I’m damn certain of it.
    Eye witness testimony isn’t always reliable, and IF it is a black/white issue, then it’s not out of the ordinary for someone to spin things for the person of ‘their’ color (either way).
    Why were they beating him? Just for the hell of it? While possible, it seems unlikely. I’m gonna guess he was already causing trouble before the beer cans hit the Deputy.

58. crunation says: Jul 18, 2011 8:44 PM

Police have also raped women after pulling them over and in big bens case played body guard outside the mensroom love dem boys in blue

59. macjacmccoy says: Jul 18, 2011 8:47 PM

Listen to Raylan Givens over here.

60. c1scofromlongbeach says: Jul 18, 2011 8:48 PM

TRAINED KILLERS… THEY PROTECT & SERVE WHITES ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!IF THAT GIANTS FAN AT THE DODGERS GAME WERE BROWN OR BLACK IT WOULD BE ANOTHER DAY IN LA & NO REWARD & NO MAN HUNT!!!

61. melonnhead says: Jul 18, 2011 8:52 PM

———————————————-

Not if he swung at him again.

62. mathsimillion says: Jul 18, 2011 8:52 PM

Being a cop is a thankless job and half the people on here have already convicted this officer of murder just from reading this article where not a single fact is presented.

Cops have to deal with the scum of the earth and while not all of them deserve to wear the badge it is a stressful and tough job especially when every one hates you. My friend is a cop and he had to get out of it because it seriously messed him up. Under paid, under appreciated and always criticized.

I’m not saying this guy was justified or not because I wasn’t there but I’m not going to call for a hanging either because I don’t know what went down.

63. kom2k10 says: Jul 18, 2011 8:52 PM

I’m not sure what happened, but if he was swinging a bag of 24 oz of beer and hitting the officers with it, it is DEFINATELY deadly force. That’s probably 3-5 pounds swinging with some good momentum and can definately do some damage.

There was a teenager who was just killed near my hometown by being beaten so badly by a couple of guys with no weapons. Give a big man like that a weapon and he could definately do some damage…

Either way… sad story

64. melonnhead says: Jul 18, 2011 8:54 PM

————————————————————–

Kinda naive to think that you can’t beat somebody to death with just a few swings of a 3+ pound blunt object, too.

65. liquidgrammar says: Jul 18, 2011 8:55 PM

I live in a quandry. On the one hand, I salute police officers all over the country for the fact that they put it on the line every day. On the other, I’ve SEEN police officers take it upon themselves to be judge, jury, and executioner! It’s not pretty. My gut tells me that these guys decided to execute this man. I have no facts to support it, but that’s what I’m feeling. However, I can sympathize with having to make a split second decision that has life or death circumstances. What I do find appalling is the that the Sherriff’s department did the investigation. If the FBI isn’t there tomorrow, then it becomes even more of a catastrophe. As a Black man, my rage has to be tempered by the fact that I’ve SEEN Black men ambush police officers! It doesn’t give you as non-Blacks the right to try to justify taking someone’s life, the same way it doesn’t give us as Blacks the right to paint all whites with the broad brush of bigotry!! For better or worse, let the justice system run its course. If there IS NO federal inquiry, that would be the crime!!!

66. scratchdaddy says: Jul 18, 2011 8:58 PM

I just want to know where you can buy a 24 oz. beer can?

67. therolandobottom says: Jul 18, 2011 9:01 PM

Oh please, without the police this country would be in absolute chaos. If you dont like law and order, than move to Iran where they cut your limbs off for stealing. What a bunch of hypocrites.

68. macjacmccoy says: Jul 18, 2011 9:04 PM

King joe… in afghanistan and around their borders with pakistan the taliban are or were and in some parts still are the ruling force and the quasy police force of that country. They are the ones that make and enforce the laws in that region.

So its not the same thing as saying well you guys hate the police so you should be cheering the taliban on for killing them. Bc the Taliban are the corrupt police over there and your damn right I cheer every time I here how many were killed by American soldiers.

Anyone that lethally abuses their power deserves the same fate.

Im not saying the cop in this situation deserves that. I dont know what happened. It seems like he could have handled the situation in a less extreme and permanent fashion but I dont know all the facts.

69. georgeanderson2 says: Jul 18, 2011 9:04 PM

We stress the importance of education, education education, yet our police and military forces are made up for the most part those who did not seek a higher education beyond HS. Their job is very important ,but what do you expect when you stop with education and hand someone a gun to protect and serve?

70. smellmyface says: Jul 18, 2011 9:05 PM

Holy s&&t people want to bring race in this. Yes they have someone that said he didnt hit the officer. Was there other people who say he did? We dont even know half the story and people want to call the police a murderer. So what happens when those two beer cans knock the cop down and he gets his gun and shoots the cop?
    Could they have mabye tazed him…sure but none of us were there to see it all happen.

71. djaehne says: Jul 18, 2011 9:13 PM

where is the cell phone footage of this action.
    You’re kidding me if someone there didn’t video
    this.

72. commandercornpone says: Jul 18, 2011 9:16 PM

Go to youtube and search black brutality. Then see who you give the benefit of the doubt to. I’m not saying all blacks are violent, but they sure as hell aren’t all saints either.

And they wonder why we dont trust the perps.

73. buffalose says: Jul 18, 2011 9:25 PM

Hate to see these things.shooting is def not justified but many times people are killed by falling and hitting their head, not the impact of whatever was used to hit them.And who knows if Turner would have kept beating up the cop after he struck him from behind. Im sure cops are scared, and learn racism just as people from these parts learn to fear the cops. sad to see but this situation should have never occured, and he didnt need to leave this scene, or fight in the first place. hard to take witnesses statements, how many hate cops and see things a little differently. everyone is scared and everyone is biased. But surely shooting is not justified A mad, sad, scary world.

74. surly1n1nd1anapol1s says: Jul 18, 2011 9:28 PM

Well said vikes921

75. genericcommenter says: Jul 18, 2011 9:29 PM

First, I’ll say I don’t really know enough to make a judgment about what happened.

HOWEVER ( a big however, see), has a Sheriff’s department EVER found that a shooting was not justified? It just doesn’t happen. Police get medals for raiding the wrong houses and shooting innocent people. Anything they do is justified when they police themselves.

There is rarely any closure in the form of an internal investigation or even trial/lawsuit ( which are rare). About the best you can hope for is a really good investigative reporter who can piece enough of the details together for each individual to form an opinion.

76. stiefert says: Jul 18, 2011 9:29 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah… all you second guessers are making me sick.
    How many of you have been assualted, shot at, attacked with pretty much anything that can be made into a weapon?
    Not many of you I’ll bet.
    Until you dig deep down and find at least one testicle that compells you to put on a badge or a pair of combat boots and go into harm’s way – stfu.

Do you really think that this cop rolled out of the briefing that morning thinking “can I find a reason to kill someone today”? Hell no. Except for psychopaths, who are largely civilians, NO ONE who carries a weapon for a living wants to kill anyone.
    Be thankful that there are men and women who have the guts to take the risks that most of you cannot or will not take to keep people safe.

Why aren’t we barking up the tree to see if Turner thought hitting a cop in the head with a 4 lb package was a good idea as result of a traumatic brain injury while playing in the NFL?

77. whatswiththehate says: Jul 18, 2011 9:31 PM

rickditka says:Jul 18, 2011 7:45 PM

he was a felon. his kids are felons. no big loss.
    ——————–
    So this is the rational you tell yourself. You distribute your sympathy based on your personal prejudices.

Since when does a person’s past make it okay to kill them. Was he coming at the cops with a gun or knife? I’m sure if it was your loved one, your small-minded attitude would be singing a different tune.

Trying to smear this man and his family to justify killing him is more sickening than killing. I guess we really haven’t change much as a society. Same BS different ERA.

78. pencilfart says: Jul 18, 2011 9:42 PM

Cops are nothing but a gang with guns.

79. jpmelon says: Jul 18, 2011 9:43 PM

I don’t buy the story from either side.

1. there is no justification for shooting the man for swinging a bag. There are other options available to cops to disarm a man using less-lethal means.

2. There is no way a man was shot and killed by cops in front of witnesses for no reason at all. I guarantee you that Ms. Phyllis has a social/political agenda against the cops and wants them to pay for killing a black man. I can’t prove that, but then again, you can’t prove the cops side of the story either (unless they’ve got a dash-cam).

The cop used terrible judgement and the police department should change their policy to prevent this from happening again. The bogus testimony is only going to add fuel to an already out of control fire.

80. pencilfart says: Jul 18, 2011 9:48 PM

Cops cant street fight because either their, undersized, overweight or just plain scared.

81. pencilfart says: Jul 18, 2011 9:50 PM

Cops remind of the classmates I use to pick on in junior high.

82. Deb says: Jul 18, 2011 9:55 PM

The account in this article differs significantly from the account in the first article, which said Turner instigated a physical confrontation and struck one of the officers in the head with the bag of beer cans. Here we have witnesses saying the officers were hitting Turner, who was offering no resistance. None of us knows what happened, but one thing is certain: No agency should be allowed to investigate itself–especially not when it concerns the taking of a life. Independent investigators with no ties to the local Shefiff’s Department need to follow up on this incident.

83. ikickgypsies says: Jul 18, 2011 9:56 PM

“King Joe got picked on in high school.”

there’s probably something to that. people like Joe who are so far out of the social norm that they’re incapable of questioning or criticizing authority under any circumstances, no matter how egregious the abuse of authority, usually have one of two things in common:

they’re so frightened by the world that they’ve become reduced to clinging blindly and unquestioningly to authority because it provides a feeling of being safety and being looked after; and/or
    they’ve become gradually conditioned to following and obeying government and its institutions to the extent that they’re no longer capable of thinking or making value judgments for themselves, and have long since abdicated such personal responsibilities.

the founding fathers would be horrified.

84. qoojo says: Jul 18, 2011 10:04 PM

I know I shoot everyone that attacks me with beer cans. Doesn’t everyone?

85. mavajo says: Jul 18, 2011 10:22 PM

People love to take sides, don’t they? Not a single person in this blog was there, yet everyone has either decided the cops were 100% justified or it was 100% murder.

The truth is that it’s likely somewhere in the middle. No matter how much some may dislike cops (and trust me, I’m not exactly fond of them myself), they’re not exactly in the habit of openly and blatantly killing people in broad daylight without provocation. Yes, there are witnesses saying that it was an unwarranted shooting. But I highly doubt they’re completely unbiased witnesses.

As I said, the truth lies somewhere in the middle here. I doubt Turner was the innocent dove he’s being painted as by the witnesses — cops don’t just shoot people that are in full compliance. On the flip side, it’s quite possible that the cop overreacted to a stressful and threatening situation.

86. paulbrownsrevenge says: Jul 18, 2011 10:28 PM

the founding fathers would be horrified.

This sounds like organized religion.

87. remede82 says: Jul 18, 2011 10:29 PM

All I have to say is whats the first feeling you get when a cop pulls behind you while your driving? Nervous regardless of who you are. Thats not what is supposed to happen but it does, to everyone from your soccer mom to your grandmom to that drug dealer. Most cops are jerk offs regardless. Imagine having a job where everyone hates you and your job is to be a A$$hole and punish people for doing wrong things. You would turn into one even when your not working.

88. gen8510 says: Jul 18, 2011 10:50 PM

All you uneducated morons who seriously think that this is a hate crime, SHUT UP! Cops, for the most part, PROTECT AND SERVE! Anybody who has been trained knows ANYTHING can be used as a DEADLY weapon! This idiot used a bag with beer cans in it as a WEAPON. Whether you think it is deadly or not does NOT matter. The officers, who rightfully shot him, believed it was being used to injure or maim them! And to the idiot who suggested that cops cant street fight, your right! They carry weapons because they are Authorized to use force higher than the level being used against them and they did. Now this idiot paid the price for it. THANK GOD! One less piece of crap out in our society!

89. murraysons says: Jul 18, 2011 10:52 PM

None of us were there. Whoever was there from his family should make no difference. Why don’t we all get attacked while at work and see how we react? I don’t immediately buy into the ‘vicious cop’ argument that so many seem to be all about.

90. pencilfart says: Jul 18, 2011 10:57 PM

@remede82, they choose that yob.

91. rebdaddie says: Jul 18, 2011 11:06 PM

Until you’ve spent a day in my shoes don’t comment about my job and decisions we make. It’s easy to be a “Monday Morning Quarterback”. We’re you there? Do you know what the officer saw? The victim ATTACKED the Officer. Only 1 witness stepped forward. I put my butt on the line everyday to protect people like you. I see how you feel about me. I have spent my whole life in uniform (Military and Police). I have never read so many negative comments about the police in my life. Who you gonna call when you need help? Ghostbusters?

92. fballguy says: Jul 18, 2011 11:14 PM

I hate to say but…Cops pretty much suck.

93. jbeatzz says: Jul 18, 2011 11:23 PM

killing a man should be the last resort. the man had beer cans and the cops are armed with guns, night sticks, pepper spray and possibly tasers and they couldnt find any alternative other than to kill the man???

if found guilty they should banned from the force for life and they should be thrown in jail for murder or manslaughter like any of us would be.

you have to be fair and hear both sides but the problems with the police is they protect their own and dont like to admit their mistakes. there is no justice in killing a man armed with beer cans especially one, who from the witness’s account was already being beat on. but how credible is the witness? so theres a lot that needs to be answered.

94. hubb1545 says: Jul 18, 2011 11:38 PM

I am a law enforcement officer too. I believe MOST cops are good human beings who work the job for the right reason. But like other professions that are done by humans a few rotten apples make the whole batch looked spoiled.

However, there is no other career that you put a bullet-proof vest on every day to go to work and understand that your job is to put your life on the line for people you do not even know. Plus, you understand that today may the day you are in an absolute fight for your life. I know this first hand. In December of 2008, during an attempt to arrest a registered sex offender, I was tackled off a second story balcony. I flew 14 feet to the cement below, all while trying to make sure out of the two of us, I’m not the one on the bottom. I hit the ground so hard, that one my side-zip combat boots blew out its metal industrial zipper. I lucked out, I ended up with a severe broken arm that has required two surgeries. I watched my arm fold like a lawn chair and was flopping like a windsock. I was bleeding severely from my face. I, also, got a few sweet scars on both hands and my nose. In the end I was lucky, unfortunately, many officers have not been as lucky. I could have left behind two children and a wife.

With that said, its always easy to Monday Morning QB. None of know what happen that night. Like I said before if the officer’s version is true then they were clearly justified. However, if not I am the first to say prosecute. One bad cop makes the job a million times harder.

95. kevishu says: Jul 18, 2011 11:40 PM

Well, no sh*t the police are going to say it’s “justified”. Police do this all the time.

And to those who think beer cans are potentially deadly weapons…. almost anything could be potentially deadly. But the primary objective for an officer is to subdue the person in the least harmful way. Granted, I don’t know whether police tried pepper spray or taser, but my guess is they just were just trigger-happy and wanted to take somebody down.

I would trust very few police officers to do the right thing in many situations. Some are good honest people, but many shouldn’t be stripped of their badges.

96. savannahrose44 says: Jul 18, 2011 11:52 PM

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Unfortunately for all of us that includes police, lawyers, judges, politicians and anyone else in a position of authority.

I’m also from Portland and can say there have been many such incidents involving the police here. My sister is a Deputy Sheriff for the Houston Police Dept. and while I do have the deepest respect for the job they do each day, I know from her first hand that the police are human and they do make decisions and sometimes mistakes just like any other human. Unfortunately for this officer this incident is one he will have to live with on his conscience for the rest of his days. Whether that conscience is clear is for only him to know. I do know that killing should never be easy for anyone, for any reason and I would hope that this officer at least feared for his life when he pulled that hand gun. I was not there so I cannot know and even had I been there I still may not know what he was feeling or thinking. I only hope that some good can come out this and that the local police department will endeavor to train their officers a bit better in the escalation of force.

That being said I will leave you with the same advice my sister gave me…never assume the police are your friend. For wherever you find people in a position of power over another you will surely find the possibility of corruption.

97. murraysons says: Jul 19, 2011 12:14 AM

You know the cops have like a millisecond to react, right? Its not like they can sit there and say, “hmmm which self defense item should i use here, while I’m being attacked by some random drunk dude?” Maybe they should ‘assume’ the guy is harmless and just give him a love tap. Get real. Don’t attack a cop and you won’t get blasted. Pretty simple.

98. gen8510 says: Jul 19, 2011 12:47 AM

Also to the idiot(s) who suggest shooting a person in the leg, You don’t shoot to hurt somebody. You shoot to kill! Have you ever tried shooting somebody in the leg? You know how difficult that is? Really? have you ever fired a weapon? I’m not saying impossibly by any means but really? When have you ever seen a silhouette for shooting practice of a guy with a leg? You should for the LARGEST part of the body. The abdomen. 90% of the people who are on the dead guys side are completely ignorant on the matter and need to shut up already.

99. rickditka says: Jul 19, 2011 4:13 AM

REBDADDIE, thanks for your service to our country. you are a man. these cop haters are children who were never taught right from wrong by their parents.

100. joetoronto says: Jul 19, 2011 5:50 AM

I’ll bet the kids don’t learn anything from this and most likely turn into their father.

More crap on the streets the cops have to deal with everyday.

101. ernestbynershands says: Jul 19, 2011 6:25 AM

Now that my emotional rant is over….a lot of talk about race, training, education and witnesses and their credibility.
    Race. Most cops are racist. Mark Fuhrman isn’t the only to use N-word regularly. Most cops in every town.

Training Vs Educated. Monkeys get trained. Humans get educated. Monkeys fling poo. Cops shoot bullets.
    When a trained monkey misbehaves we can euthanize it.

Witness credibility. Witnesses have the truth or their own interests to defend. Cops have their salary and pension to defend.

We pay the cops, they work for us. But we can’t question them. We can’t film them or record them on the job to verify they are acting appropriately. But they can film and record us to show that we act in appropriately. They can beat us or shoot us and make up an excuse after the fact.
    I have had cops lie about me, to me and to a judge in court (traffic court) under oath.
    It is disturbing that a cops word is as good as the word of God.
    Since often they fall FAR short of that stature.
    …..

102. melonnhead says: Jul 19, 2011 6:25 AM

I know I shoot everyone that attacks me with beer cans. Doesn’t everyone?

———————————————————-

How many times in your life have you found yourself getting beaten over the head with a sack with a couple of beers in it?

103. melonnhead says: Jul 19, 2011 6:27 AM

The article says that Turner’s 19 year old son and a 16 year old juvenile were there. To characterize them as “two of Turner’s teenage children” is prejudicial, at best.

104. okiny says: Jul 19, 2011 6:43 AM

It’s awful he died and if it went down like some are claiming, without the victim even swinging anything, these cops deserve to go to jail for failing to obey laws they swore to uphold. However if he did strike that cop in the back of the head, I don’t think it’s fair to say the cop overreacted just because they were cans of beer in that bag. That’s still a few pounds of metal being swung at a police officer’s head. The same people saying it isn’t a deadly object would get KO’d by that bag.

105. jlporcher says: Jul 19, 2011 7:25 AM

What happened to just using a taser?

106. stonedwhitetrash says: Jul 19, 2011 7:30 AM

The only thing keeping the citizens of the US from falling into a Police State is our second amendment right to keep and bear arms.

107. phlflyers says: Jul 19, 2011 7:46 AM

I’m just completely shocked that a former black professional athlete didnt have enough money to buy a case of beer instead of 2 24 oz cans.

108. EJ says: Jul 19, 2011 7:59 AM

nfl25, I agree with you, people need to seek out the facts before they claim this was an execution.

My brother in-law is an officer in Upstate, NY. I know for a fact (from all the times bugging him for info) that he and his fellow officers would need for things to get out of control, where the suspect has the upper hand before force like that was to be used. I’m not saying all police follow the rules, but ya’ll need to get more info before labeling this an execution.

These men and women in uniform put their lives on the line daily to keep us safe for a tiny paycheck, the least we can do is follow orders they give us.

109. tv426 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:42 AM

As a former police officer I can tell you that hindsight is 20-20. In any situation you have no idea what might happen or could happen.

Most police who are killed are killed by their own weapon being taken from them in a struggle. It is every policeman’s right to do what is necessary to protect him/herself and the public.

Looking back on a situation and proclaiming what “might have been done” is meaningless if you were not directly in that situation.

110. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Jul 19, 2011 8:51 AM

I don’t doubt the victim was attacking the officers, despite what “witnesses” may say. That said, what makes someone reason that someone flailing a blunt force weapon that I should bypass my nightstick and tazer, and go for the gunpowder propelled lead projectiles??? Force was justified, but this is a blatant example of excessive force, and punishment should be doled out.

111. edavidberg says: Jul 19, 2011 9:14 AM

Generally speaking, there is no need to shoot and kill a guy armed with beer cans when there are other officers right there. This is going to cost Kern County tens of millions when its all said and done. I have a feeling that when further evidence comes out there will have been other injuries on the victim showing he had been assaulted.

If a civilian had shot dead a man armed with beer cans there would be an overwhelming likelihood he’d be arrested for excessive force. It’s worse when there are other officers to assist.

Of course, there could be further details to come out that could rebut this eyewitnesses story–we have to see what all the evidence says. But at this point it looks fishy.

112. melonnhead says: Jul 19, 2011 10:10 AM

————————————————————–

Let’s say you’re 20 feet away. The report says that Kraft was keeping the two “teenage children” out of the confrontation as Nadal went after Turner, who was attempting to leave so I think 20 feet is a good estimate for argument’s sake.

Do you let the suspect wail on your partner’s head a few more times with the 3 pound blunt object until you get in billyclub or taser range (if he had a taser. not all cops carry them, especially county cops, not in my experience anyway) or do you follow the typical police doctrine of using overwhelming force to end the potentially deadly confrontation as quickly as possible?

113. ruvelligwebuike says: Jul 19, 2011 11:31 AM

“I will miss the days of Deac’ coming home after DUI number 10 to beat the crap out of me like he did multiple times according to records of my calls to police.”

-Deac’s wife at the funeral

114. ikickgypsies says: Jul 19, 2011 4:33 PM

115. bturner032002 says: Jul 19, 2011 5:32 PM

cops are more scum than dealers and criminals

116. ruvelligwebuike says: Jul 19, 2011 6:02 PM

“there are a few frightened rabbits that would defend a cop if there was videotape of him beating a nun in a wheelchair but the vast majority of people as evidenced by the thumbs up/down on this thread have the courage and moral compass to criticize cops when it’s appropriate.”
    ——————–

I know I always check the thumbs up/thumbs down on Profootballtalk.com before I make a life altering decision.

117. ikickgypsies says: Jul 19, 2011 8:31 PM

you better

118. pigeonpea says: Jul 19, 2011 11:09 PM

pencilfart says:
    Cops remind of the classmates I use to pick on in junior high.

LOL! Another cop-hatin’, tough-as-nails keyboard warrior. You sound like a limp-wristed hippie with authority problems, boy.

After all, people that brag have to.

119. tednancy says: Jul 20, 2011 2:07 PM

nfl25 says: Jul 18, 2011 7:09 PM

===========================

I support the owners 100% and I think there should be a homicide investigation of the cop as well as an internal affairs probe of corruption in this sheriff’s dept.

This is a free society. We cannot tolerate abuse of authority and power by public servants.

When a cop kills, it better be justified. Given witness testimony, it does not appear that was the case.

Deadly force is NOT legal unless the subject poses a clear and present danger to the officer in question.

If I were the DA, I would seriously consider a manslaughter charge, at the very least.

This story should not end here.

120. tednancy says: Jul 20, 2011 2:21 PM

By the way, as some other posters have observed, there are countless examples of folks who, having used a gun at a fist fight, are now behind bars.

If the cop had been a private citizen, do you think the local sheriff would determine that shooting a man wielding beer cans was justified?

Cops are not entitled to greater protection under the law than any other citizen. It’s in the Constitution.

Let’s not forget that.

121. tednancy says: Jul 20, 2011 2:25 PM

tv426 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:42 AM

====================================

Then I guess cops can do whatever they want without consequences? Is that what you’re saying? Didn’t you swear to uphold the laws of you state and your country pal?

If so, what you are suggesting is a violation of your own code. If your thinking is representative of how most cops think, I worry for my country.

People who think like you do should not be allowed to serve.

122. tednancy says: Jul 20, 2011 2:30 PM

rickditka says: Jul 19, 2011 4:13 AM

====================================

Or we might be college educated adults who were taught to respect our Constitution and stand up for liberty and our rights.

You know, those freedoms that tens of thousands of men died to protect?

123. liquidgrammar says: Jul 20, 2011 7:35 PM

So serving your country now equates to acting like an NRA automaton?? Well, I served my country with a passion you could NEVER understand, and I still feel that these cops were in the wrong!! Like I said, it’s a conundrum. Should he have assaulted a police officer?? NO!! Should they have KILLED HIM?? NO!!! It might be difficult, but the creed is to Serve and Protect!! And my friends that are cops live, and die, by that creed!!

124. ruvelligwebuike says: Jul 20, 2011 8:02 PM

I’m going to sleep well tonight knowing that our soldiers died to protect the rights of people who would rather take the side of a wife-beating, 26 time arrested, 10 (10!) DUI getting, felony assault probationary SCUMBAG of a human over a basic police officer…with no real first hand evidence either way.

I’m sure Deac’ would appreciate your concern.

125. carlieatschmidt says: Jul 20, 2011 11:50 PM

ruvelligwebuike and I are cop groupies.

126. edgerinn says: Jul 21, 2011 12:13 AM

I listened to the account, sounds like the cops screwed up to me. By their own account they are dealing with a guy “armed” with a bag of beer. They hit him first with a baton before he hit anyone. How the hell was the cop facing away from him to get hit in the back AFTER they start using batons? Once they start using force they need to finish restraining him, they had more than enough guys and weapons to accomplish that without shooting him.

For you conspiracy theorists, here’s another tidbit: the confrontation is on security camera, but the actual fight/shooting is missing because the camera skipped.

127. theone4 says: Jul 25, 2011 4:05 PM

I think that they should have put this on a higher scale and let someone from another city come in and investagate this . It should have been on t.v. like the lacy case was til the truth is known. All witnesses and the police themselves should be shown so the whole world will know the truth. Even if the police was justified in shooting him at least people will know that they roll like that really. ( which they do. But expose the truth to everyone) cans VS> guns somthings wrong with that picture.