Drew Brees decries “false media reports”

e593624ea92c7dd427d2d9e85b7f0e3b Getty Images

We’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again.  Saints quarterback Drew Brees is a great quarterback, and a truly good guy.  But we can’t look the other way in the wake of reports that Brees, or someone on his behalf, is trying to leverage his status as a named plaintiff in the Brady antitrust action into a lifetime exemption from the franchise tag, which would make Brees an unrestricted free agent in 2012.

If it’s happening, it’s wrong.  And Brees and any other named plaintiff who is trying to exploit the situation for personal gain should abandon those efforts.

We first heard three weeks ago that NFLPA* lawyer Jeffrey Kessler and CAA, the agency representing Brees, were pushing for this benefit, both for Brees and fellow CAA client Peyton Manning.  Now that Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe and others, including Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com, are reporting the same thing on the same day that lawyers are supposed to be finalizing the deal, the issue has gotten much greater notice, drawing widespread criticism of Brees Manning, Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, and Patriots guard Logan Mankins.

Brees has responded to the controversy, via Twitter:  “I hesitate to even dignify the false media reports with a response, but obviously they are leading people astray.”

We’re not sure what’s specifically “false” about the reports.  Chris Mortensen of ESPN, citing an unnamed high-ranking NFLPA* official, wrote earlier today that “media reports of a last-minute power play by players are misleading and erroneous.”

So what’s misleading, false, and/or erroneous?  The reports that Brees and Manning want a “Get Out Of Franchise Tag Jail Free” card?  Or the reports that the request is coming in the form of a “last-minute power play,” as opposed to an issue that Kessler has been pushing for weeks?

Brees could easily clear this up with a much more pointed tweet.  For example, all Brees needs to say is this:  “I want no special treatment.  This was never about me.  This is about all players, past, present, and future.”

Until he does, we’re not prepared to conclude that Bedard and/or Freeman are inept and/or lying.

UPDATE:  After we posted this item.  Brees returned to Twitter.  “I want no special perks,” he said.  “My job is to get a fair deal for all players, and I am proud to represent them all – past, present and future.”  Is there an echo in here?

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
80 Responses to “Drew Brees decries “false media reports””
  1. hobartbaker says: Jul 19, 2011 8:24 PM

I have no problem concluding that Bedard and/or Freeman are inept and/or lying. It’s what they do. But the greed displayed by the players probably trumps all other personal faults on display here.

2. tomwill21 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:25 PM

Shocker…

3. isphet71 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:25 PM

If Brees really wants to play the “I’m being misrepresented” card, his only recourse right now is to fire his representation. Or be called a liar.

4. august1969 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:27 PM

No Brady…another win!

5. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:27 PM

No singular player should be capable of derailing the recent progress made…not 4 players either.

6. help me says: Jul 19, 2011 8:29 PM

Oh, Drew… it’s never a good idea to not answer a question by saying you won’t “dignify” it with a response.

It’s best to just say, “no, i didn’t say it”.

7. permiepoo says: Jul 19, 2011 8:30 PM

You guys are something else….

==============
    Brees could easily clear this up with a much more pointed tweet. For example, all Brees needs to say is this: “I want no special treatment. This was never about me. This is about all players, past, present, and future.”
    ==============

There’s NOTHING to clear up. NO ONE has quoted Brees, Manning or anyone else in this entire supposed “power play.” You guys reference secondhand “sources” like Bedard of an east coast newspaper. Why would he KNOW what Brees/Manning/Mankins wants any more than I do?

Perhaps YOU should clear this up by saying “Sorry for reporting every millisecond of rumor that flies around without verifying it first.”

8. profootballwalk says: Jul 19, 2011 8:30 PM

He’s lyin’ like a rug. Unions are supposed to work in solidarity, not every man for himself. If it wasn’t true, he would have come out and said it hours ago.

9. Slim Charles says: Jul 19, 2011 8:30 PM

How DARE Brees use leverage for personal gain! The owners would never do something like that. Every good deed Brees has ever done will be suddenly negated! Only the owners are allowed to do that, because they’re rich businessmen!

10. goawayeverybody says: Jul 19, 2011 8:31 PM

Perhaps people are erroneously conflating the ideas of Manning and Brees wanting to shed the franchise tags for themselves and that of the franchise tag only being able to be used once. I’m not sure. Anyway, this does seem way out of character for Brees who has truly done so much for New Orleans and for charity organizations in general.

11. conseannery says: Jul 19, 2011 8:33 PM

Drew, Logan, Peyton…

I’ll take “White Guy Names” for $300, Alex

12. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 19, 2011 8:33 PM

Drew Brees is pissed and wants to get in a hit on Chris Kluwe, when a punter calls you a D-bag chances are your a D-bag.

13. rugdog100 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:33 PM

LMAO! Brees is such a chump.

14. mtnoll says: Jul 19, 2011 8:33 PM

Brees’ popularity really sunk this offseason.

15. kingjoe1 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:33 PM

Please! This dude has had the most douchey statements of any of the players. Now we are supposed to think he is completely altruistic?

He must think fans are stupid.

16. derekjetersmansion says: Jul 19, 2011 8:34 PM

And it’s all falling into place…

17. bjbroderick says: Jul 19, 2011 8:35 PM

Only a couple things will clear this up.

1. A statement from Kessler or CAA stating that no exemptions are being sought for individuals named or not named in the Brady lawsuit

2. The deal getting done.

Short of those two things, I will continue to believe they are money grubbing.

Make it happen.

18. whoknowsnothing says: Jul 19, 2011 8:39 PM

Spoken like to true !@#$%^&* journalist!

19. commandercornpone says: Jul 19, 2011 8:40 PM

brees already threw retirees under the bus.

perhaps the retired guys werent smart enough to figure out a way to get out of the franchise tag, eh, drew?

20. bleedblue18 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:43 PM

Sounds like a more media hype and rumors to sell a story.

21. philwauke says: Jul 19, 2011 8:44 PM

Guilty until proven innocent huh Nancy Grace?

22. kom2k10 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:45 PM

I do think something isn’t being reported correctly. These players have tried too hard to remain in the fans favor and it doesn’t make sense that they would do something so stupid and paint a huge target on their chests.

Worst case scenario, they were asking for special treatment knowing that they would give up the request in exchange for some other benefit that might benefit all players.

It’s tough to say but it just seems so stupid that these guys would put a roadblock up after they’ve been saying “we just want to play football”. Something’s fishy about the reports…

23. pacash80 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:46 PM

Brees already makes a salary of three million per year. That isn’t even counting all the endorsement deals. What more does he want? Also, I’m tired of this Saints bandwagon. All I ever hear is “New Orleans has the best fans in the world!”. No one ever said that until they finally won a Super Bowl? Remember, these are the same fans who attended games with bags over their heads.
    Let the hate begin.

24. kom2k10 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:51 PM

These reports are not true… I can almost guarantee it. Brees isn’t that stupid to make such a request and Manning has been to quite in regards to everything to be speaking up now.

Chances are that if it sounds too insanely stupid to be true… it probably is…

25. mrf47 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:51 PM

Calling Jeffrey Kessler an A-hole is an insult to A-holes. Also, what self-respecting man still goes by the name “Jeffrey”…has there ever been a “Jeffrey” that was a total clowndick?

26. valman61 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:53 PM

This is all Kessler. He’s trying to blow the thing up, well Hes actually trying to get the best deal for his clients, but he’s doing it in a typical pushy greedy condescending lawyer way which threatens to jeopardize the entire process and it’s really starting to make me mad. Someone needs to end his night.

27. oakalley says: Jul 19, 2011 8:56 PM

he did write that…..

28. hoftb12 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:56 PM

He just tweeted: I want no special perks. My job is to get a fair deal for all players, and I am proud to represent them all – past, present and future

29. jimphin says: Jul 19, 2011 8:56 PM

Well then, that should clear it up… Mr. Brees hesitates to dignify… DRAMA QUEEN.

I agree that a clear and concise –”I am not asking or demanding any special treatment for myself or for those named in the lawsuit.” –would be sufficient.

A football player starts to protest too much when he uses the words “hesistate to even dignify”.

30. 0mattfrye0 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:58 PM

Drew, sorry to say but you are officially a D-Bag

31. andyreidisfat says: Jul 19, 2011 8:59 PM

I would say the same about Jackson but he is such a douche bag and sat out so long last year that i hope Smith keeps tagging him forever. In fact if they did some kinda on eyear rule on the tag like i think they should, i hope they exempt Jackson from the one year rule. I would love to see Smith keep that a-hole in SD for the rest of his career playing just the games he has too. I also hope when he comes back to those games that the Chargers make him sit on the bench .

Its one thing to hold out during training camp and pre season and MAYBE even the first game of the season if you have a legit beef, but anything futher than that and the people you are hurting the most is the fans. Without the fans Jackson wouldn’t make a dime. Even if you don’t like what managment is doing at that point you come back for your teammates and for the millions in your city that support you. Jackson is a bum. I keep hearing the the Pats are going to trade for him and as the Pats are my AFC team I really hope they don’t. Anyone else would be better. That guy will kill that locker room and hurt the chances of me going to see a second superbowl with my two favorite teams in it.

32. scytherius says: Jul 19, 2011 9:00 PM

There is not a media outlet out there I believe about anything. If you show me the video of it happening, THEN I’ll believe it.

We live in the era of “news entertainment” and it’s ALL crap.

33. t16rich says: Jul 19, 2011 9:00 PM

Like Chris Kluwe was saying.

34. ftblfan9 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:01 PM

This story about special treatment was likely to have been leaked by the owners preemptively. Looks like a good move by them.

35. pittsburghsteelerz says: Jul 19, 2011 9:01 PM

“My Twitter was hacked. Mmmm k?”

36. eastsideballa says: Jul 19, 2011 9:03 PM

Drew Brees is really starting to piss me off. And also all you guys replying to me saying what does “Allahu Akbar” have to do with anything? IT IS everything is the way I respond to that joke of a question.

37. bvolke says: Jul 19, 2011 9:04 PM

So, either every major sports publication is lying or Drew Brees is? Hmmmm

38. ez2bpackersfan12 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:07 PM

Finally Mr nice gets some critism. Its possible he didnt Respond til now cause he’s been crying allday. POOR GUY! as if 15 million isnt enough per year!

39. joemcrugby says: Jul 19, 2011 9:12 PM

Tom Condon, agent for Brees and Manning:

“Drew and Peyton haven’t asked for anything individually and continue to be 100 percent behind the players’ efforts to resolve the negotiations.”

____________________________

We get it, Tom.

Drew and Peyton haven’t asked for anything individually.

As their agents, CAA has asked for something individually. Now that both the players and fans are going nuts over the greed aspect, CAA is backing down on their demands in the face of a riot.

40. ottomanismydog says: Jul 19, 2011 9:12 PM

I remember the first time I believed everything written the media…

41. intenseg says: Jul 19, 2011 9:13 PM

He did tweet a direct comment about the reports being false. “All media claims about me wanting a personal reward for this deal are false. I hope you all know me better than that”

42. glac1 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:13 PM

Brady, Brees and Manning are pathetic. It’s time these ordained “darlings” of the NFL quit acting like spoiled 12 year olds and grow up.

43. souldogdave says: Jul 19, 2011 9:15 PM

Plausible deniability?Didn’t they call that “doublespeak” in Orwell’s 1984? What my ancestors called “speaking with forked tongue”?

44. 123makarov says: Jul 19, 2011 9:18 PM

@drewbrees I want no special perks. My job is to get a fair deal for all players, and I am proud to represent them all – past, present and future

lol

45. upperdecker19 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:19 PM

The hacker of Kenny Britt’s Facebook account must have put out the “false” reports.

46. 123makarov says: Jul 19, 2011 9:21 PM

Also,

“Saints quarterback Drew Brees is a great quarterback, and a truly good guy. But…”

Mike,

Didn’t anyone ever tell you whatever you say after the word “but” is bull$@^& ?

47. whoisthatteam says: Jul 19, 2011 9:23 PM

Did you literally just go to Drew Brees’s twitter and copy what he said? Jesus Christ, what more do you want him to say? Prepare yourself to conclude Bedard and freeman are inept liars.

drewbrees Drew Brees
    24 minutes ago

drewbrees Drew Brees
    27 minutes ago

drewbrees Drew Brees

48. firemarshal1 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:23 PM

Drew Brees, say it ain’t so! Like Joe Jackson, like I said, say ain’t so Drew! Don’t be shoeless Joe Jackson, don’t let greed, “the best of you.”. Say ain’t so………

49. jaggedmark says: Jul 19, 2011 9:24 PM

Hope you’re happy. He’s tweeted your request.

50. redstar504 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:30 PM

Mike he just put this up this should just say all that needs to be said:

drewbrees Drew Brees

51. bigvinnyinjax says: Jul 19, 2011 9:30 PM

I’m disheartened that Brees is acting this way. Same goes for manning. I’ve come to expect it from that pompous ass Brady, but not Manning and Brees. Dang shame what greed does to good men.

twitter.com/vincenthale

52. canadian52niner says: Jul 19, 2011 9:33 PM

Before this all began I had a very different opinion of drew brees. Now I see him as a money grubbing liar. Don’t worry though drew, I also had a different opinion of rashard Mendenhall … Now I just view him as a total psycho … You are not as bad as him.

53. stanklepoot says: Jul 19, 2011 9:34 PM

“But we can’t look the other way in the wake of reports that Brees, or someone on his behalf, is trying to leverage his status as a named plaintiff in the Brady antitrust action into a lifetime exemption from the franchise tag, which would make Brees an unrestricted free agent in 2012.”
    ______________________________
    You mean like what happened with every named player in the Reggie White case? This is nothing new. The named plaintiffs get a little something extra in the settlement. They also risk retaliation from the owners, which has happened in the past to players reps and union officers when owners got upset with the union. I really don’t understand how an attorney goes on a crusade against named plaintiffs trying to get a little payoff for settling a case.

Nothing that has been reported to have been asked for is outrageous. Brees and Manning have asked to be exempt from the franchise tag, which I already mentioned the precedent for (although the way Manning ran for cover after agreeing to put his name to the lawsuit would disqualify him in my mind). As for Jackson and Mankins, the owners used the system to screw them pretty hard last year, and they’re hoping to be able to parlay this into a chance to either get their freedom or make up for what they missed out on last season.

Given that the lawyers are talking about having a deal to present to the NFLPA tomorrow, it doesn’t seem that any of these requests are holding anything up. Until there’s evidence that these requests are a threat to a new CBA, I have absolutely no problem with them.

54. 23chameleons says: Jul 19, 2011 9:34 PM

I’m waiting for someone to be called a “false rumor monger” …

55. drgreenstreak says: Jul 19, 2011 9:38 PM

The report’s only “sources” are sports bloggers, reporters and PFT. I don’t blame Brees for being a bit perturbed at suggestive journalism. It’s speculative, at best.

56. firemarshal1 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:39 PM

Just say it ain’t so…..You’re not a greedy bast@rd. Let’s not forget P. Manning either. Those Directv endorsements, won’t look the same. Big turn off to me as Directv customer. I may cancel NFL Sunday Ticket just BECAUSE OF YOU, P.MANNING. Don’t let greed, get the best of you. Just say it ain’t so……:(

57. joetoronto says: Jul 19, 2011 9:40 PM

A good QB, but a real A-hole.

58. bandwagondan says: Jul 19, 2011 9:42 PM

It’s all part of a co-ordinated PR campaign to generate interest in the NFL. They* will have the deal done in 24 hours.

59. sc5000 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:44 PM

Don’t care if its true or not, I lost a lot of respect if not all of it during this lockout for Doosh Brees. When he called out the former players for mismanaging there money I was furious. Newsflash Drew, the people who came before you in the 60′s and 70′s didn’t get to make millions of dollars to play the game like you do. They got paid like everyday working people and had to get other jobs in the off season you fricken baby. You might be a good football player, and on the surface you have fooled a lot of people into thinking your a good guy. But lets face it, you sir are a greedy pig, you just didn’t want to take the heat for being one.

60. hawkeye6 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:44 PM

Brees may be a truly good guy, but let’s be honest – the Brady antitrust action is about the high profile players (and future high profile players). Sometimes things are just what they appear to be. Now that this is almost over, is Brees and company trying to say they weren’t selfish in this?

Not everyone makes 20 million$/year – not including endorsements.

61. tfbuckfutter says: Jul 19, 2011 9:46 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong….but can’t these players just be booted from the union if they don’t like the MAJORITY vote?

And then they can fend for themselves and next year we can all play Madden 2012 with the starting QB of the New Orleans Saints Jon Nunnally (Eff you guys if you don’t get that reference which I pulled right off the top of my damned head).

62. tfbuckfutter says: Jul 19, 2011 9:47 PM

Aww dammit….it was actually Jon Dowd….

Why the hell do I know Jon Nunnally?

63. southcakpanther says: Jul 19, 2011 9:49 PM

LOL you have been exposed Brees. Just own up to your greed and move on. More whinning just looks bad.

64. Hank Koebler, IV says: Jul 19, 2011 9:50 PM

“I want no special perks. My job is to get a fair deal for all players, and I am proud to represent them all – past, present and future” – Brees’ Twitter account. That puts the issue to rest in the case of Brees.

Brady probably doesn’t care about the franchise tag, because he knows the Pats will pay him a ridiculous amount of money until they’re ready to move on, and then they’ll trade him for draft picks and possibly players. Mankins is probably going to want franchise tag exemption. Von Miller is a toss-up because he’s a rookie. I think the really interesting question is whether Manning (whose contract expired at the end of the 2010 season) demands exemption from the tag or not.

65. wgbeethree says: Jul 19, 2011 9:50 PM

“we’re not prepared to conclude that Bedard and/or Freeman are inept”

I am! Have you never read these guys before?What more could you need? They may not be wrong on this but they certainly are pretty inept in general.

66. easyeddie says: Jul 19, 2011 9:53 PM

Brees just responded via Twitter — honest!:
    “I want no special perks. My job is to get a fair deal for all players, and I am proud to represent them all – past, present and future.”

67. texanfan53 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:55 PM

Stop being a doucebag Drew!

68. easyeddie says: Jul 19, 2011 9:56 PM

I wonder how he thought up that pathetic line?

69. zaggs says: Jul 19, 2011 9:56 PM

In other media reports, Drew Brees is still a dick with a great PR team.

70. mjkelly77 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:57 PM

“Brees has responded to the controversy, via Twitter: “I hesitate to even dignify the false media reports with a response, but obviously they are leading people astray.””

Weasel words. This isn’t a denial. Typical misleading verbiage that means nothing. What a douche Brees is.

71. southcakpanther says: Jul 19, 2011 10:00 PM

Put down your iPhone and go to bed Drew, it’s after 10pm on the east coast. You can make better excuses after a good nights rest.

72. mark0226 says: Jul 19, 2011 10:08 PM

pacash80 says: Also, I’m tired of this Saints bandwagon. All I ever hear is “New Orleans has the best fans in the world!”. No one ever said that until they finally won a Super Bowl? Remember, these are the same fans who attended games with bags over their heads.

===============
    The key words in the diatribe above is “…attending games…” They were wearing bags as a statement to the poor product the owner(s) were putting on the field in those days, but they were still AT THE GAME, unlike many other team “fans”. This was when the Saints never had a winning record. 8-8 was the best they could do in the first 25 years, but the fans were still there.

73. Wisconsin77 says: Jul 19, 2011 10:09 PM

hobartbaker says: Jul 19, 2011 8:24 PM

Bedard is well known in Wisconsin as being a part of the Ted Thompson lie factory called the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel during the whole Favre fiasco. The perpetuated lies started by TT and the PR guy he hired to orchestrate it, Ari Fleischer (i.e. the guy who lied to the world about WMDs). Things like the fabled Packer issued cell phone and coming up and perpetuating the whole “diva” construct.

So it wouldn’t surprise me if Bedard is lying here too.

74. redrew says: Jul 19, 2011 10:15 PM

Owners should hold firm and tell the NFLPA that these rogue players will not be dealt with. Let the NFLPA pay Mankins and Jackson all the money they want. Let the 1800 players not working pay off this greedy selfish duo

75. mark0226 says: Jul 19, 2011 10:20 PM

andyreidisfat says: Just comment on Mankins here, I think he and ONLY he deserves to be exempt THIS season from the tag. He played last year under it and should be able to enjoy free agency.

======
    Try doing a little research before spouting off. Mankins refused to sign his RFA offer and held out for as long as he could, then finally reported to the Patriots on November 2nd. Vincent Jackson did the same, but reported back to the Chargers on Oct 29th, which I believe comes before Nov 2nd.

76. canadian52niner says: Jul 19, 2011 10:27 PM

Doosh brees … Classic, good one sc5000, you still got it!

77. melikefootball says: Jul 19, 2011 10:47 PM

More and more the players are looking like chumps with the end in site. All the big name boys, the choosen ones, are now trying to turn the check. Excuses after excuses and false hoods after faslse hoods from Brees and Manning trying to safe face with the fans. Yes THEIR fans will see no wrong in their actions but you can’t tell me they have not shot their wad with other fans of the NFL over their pure GREED. They have got special treatment by everyone from press to the league office and now they slapped all those people in the face. As they say you can run but you can’t hide. You can tweet, blog and point fingers to someone else all you want but your names is still GREED.

78. scomibord says: Jul 19, 2011 10:57 PM

can’t wait to see brees run out on the field for punt returns, just to knock kluwe on his ass

79. bigginfragable says: Jul 20, 2011 5:52 AM

time to hit the track – the backtrack that is.

80. ejmat2 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:59 AM

What’s funny is how he talks about past, present and future players. Wasn’t it Brees that said today’s NFL has no responsibility to do anything for the retired players? Aren’t they considered “past” players?

Is he being hypocritical or what?

I’ve always liked Brees. He’s been a real class act. That is until he’s opened his mouth during this lockout period. Since then he has been nothing but a pest in trying to get a deal done and now he’s sticking his foot in his mouth by contradicting himself and backing out of a previously made statement.