Ray Rice stands by criticism of Hines Ward DUI

Divisional Playoffs - Baltimore Ravens v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

A week after Ravens running back Ray Rice took to Twitter to criticize Steelers receiver Hines Ward for getting arrested for drunk driving, Rice has waded back into the issue, and he’s not backing down.

“I didn’t put it on Twitter to disrespect,” Rice told the Baltimore Sun. “I just said ‘it’s not a good look.’ Their whole town knows it’s not a good look. It doesn’t matter what team you play for. When it comes across the ticker that you got arrested for a DUI, it’s not a good look.”

Rice said Ward should know that as a role model, he has a special responsibility.

“People look up to you, Hines,” Rice said. “You just were on TV with Dancing with the Stars. Ravens fans were upset that you won Dancing with the Stars but they still watched you. That shows your charisma and character. You’ve got a legacy in the NFL that no one can take away from you. But if you hurt somebody drunk driving, that takes away a lot.”

Rice noted that he had a cousin who was killed by a drunk driver in 1998, and since then he has taken drunk driving personally.

“Drunk driving is one of those things that hits a soft spot in my life,” Rice said. “I don’t care if you’re a Pittsburgh Steeler or a Baltimore Raven or whoever you are, if you get caught drunk driving, that’s not a smart judgment.”

Rice also made a smart point about how ridiculous it is for any NFL player not to hire a driver if he’s going to be drinking.

“We make enough money,” Rice said. “It’s $150 for a car service for the rest of the night.”

Fans of Ward might not like Rice’s blunt criticism, but I respect Rice for speaking out. He’s right.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Ray Rice stands by criticism of Hines Ward DUI”
  1. jersey73 says: Jul 19, 2011 7:56 AM

I agree 100% and I’ve said this for years. TAKE CAR SERVICE! TAKE A CAB! You can afford it and party responsible. It’s a lot cheaper than the negative side of the risk.

Believe me, if I made that kind of money and went out for a night of partying, I would love to have a car service pick me (and my friends) up and drop me at the front of the club and wait for me.

2. lefthooktv says: Jul 19, 2011 8:00 AM

I hope their teams get a chance to square off. If the dont, EA Sports still has an answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1aa6myFPI&feature=share

3. gottawoodley says: Jul 19, 2011 8:00 AM

“We make enough money,” Rice said.

…then why are the players in a lockout with the owners negotiating the players want a bigger cut of the pie? That doesn’t make sense to me.

Yes Hines screwed up but so do millions of other americans. Let it go already.

4. Patriot42 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:04 AM

These guys seem to run in packs and that is the only way they feel fulfillment.

5. krow101 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:07 AM

Ravens and Steelers need to stop talking about each other. Right or wrong … no one is buying that any of it is unbiased.

6. ncoolong says: Jul 19, 2011 8:08 AM

I’m curious why no one pointed to the elephant in the room…Donte Stallworth isn’t exactly a choir boy either. It doesn’t make what Hines is accused of doing right, but I would have liked to have read Rice’s response to a follow-up question about having a teammate who killed someone while driving drunk.

7. steelcitystud says: Jul 19, 2011 8:08 AM

I’m a huge Steeler fan! But, Ray Rice could not be more correct. There is NO EXCUSE for what Hines did. I am sure he will think twice before doing it again. Thankfully, no one was physically hurt. Just a bruised ego. Hines will get past this & will probably come out & agree with Ray Rice’s comment.

8. jam412 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:10 AM

I’m a lifelong Steelers fan and I hate the Ravens. That said, Rice is right. Take a cab Hines. I afford to do it after a night at the bar and I make waaaaaaay less than you.

Now let’s forget all this crap and talk free agency!!

9. ejmat2 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:11 AM

Yup, Ray hit the nail on the head. They make enough money. Yet they are so worried about sharing $320M which is hardly anything when split between all the NFL players that they are prolonging the deal because of it.

You can see how cheap/stupid they are that they can’t spend $150 to go out and party when they make millions. Yet these are the people some want to be paid even more.

10. dspyank2k11 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:14 AM

At least he stands behind it and isnt giving us some sort of Agent induced apology.

11. edjy71 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:15 AM

Sorry, not going to just “let it go” It’s not like he was just barely over, the man was drunk, really drunk, bloodshot eyes drunk. The kind of drunk that kills people.

I don’t understand how what he did is any less reckless or dangerous than what Plaxico did and Plax got 2 years.

12. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Jul 19, 2011 8:16 AM

This Ravens- Steelers rivalry is not cooling down anytime soon. Can’t wait for the opener.

13. jdvallee says: Jul 19, 2011 8:18 AM

I’m with you when you’re right, Ray.

14. smaynard87 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:18 AM

Got woodley,
    Your a moron steelers fan obviously. The players were happy with their “cut of the pie “. Hence why the owners locked them out. They are the unhappy ones.

15. arcaero says: Jul 19, 2011 8:18 AM

gottawoodley:

You typify the myopic Stiller fan…Keep on blindly backing your rapists, wife beaters, and drunk drivers….rock that bully bandwagon, dude, it’s all you have.

16. billinva says: Jul 19, 2011 8:19 AM

I agree with Rice 100%.

17. mgjnsc says: Jul 19, 2011 8:21 AM

how about directing some of those comments to his CURRENT teammate Sergio Kindle who was arrested for DUI in December of 2010? Until Ray calls out his teammate for the EXACT same violation as Hines then he is not just simply pointing out a DUI.

Way to stay classy RatBirds!

18. salmen76 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:21 AM

I agree with you Ray. You’re not saying Hines is bad. You’re just saying he did a bad thing. Hines Ward could have clearly afforded a cab. And if not, he should have been walking. Drinking and driving is against the law. Plain and simple. Perhaps Hines ain’t the model citizen we thought he was. Especialy if he’s whining and making excuses about the arrest. I’m 53 years old and i’ve never been arrested. Hm. It’s not rocket science boys. Just DON”T break the law. Geaux Saints!

19. boothisman says: Jul 19, 2011 8:21 AM

I live in Pittsburgh, I bleed black and gold, and I hate the Ravens.

That said, Rice is 100% correct. Forget the fact that Hines got a DUI, and instead consider the fact that he could have killed someone. Not a good look at all.

20. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 19, 2011 8:23 AM

I make a rather small amount of what Hines does and I only have a 2 mile drive home from the popular bar scene.I still have the common sense to pay for a cab ride after a night of drinking.

21. melikefootball says: Jul 19, 2011 8:28 AM

How strange is it that Rice wants to slam one particular player, Ward when there has been at least a dozen other players and coaches arrested for a DUI and I’m sure they make enough for the 150.00 taxi. He hasn’t called one of them out. A little short sided on Rice’s side. Go to your local court house and just lock at the week docket and you will be amazed at the number of DUI’s going to court. Understand his point of view on DUI with his brother but if he takes it so highly then go after everyone not one player in your division.

22. 3octaveFart says: Jul 19, 2011 8:34 AM

Today’s obligatory Steelers bashing thread… yawn.

23. 7370355q says: Jul 19, 2011 8:34 AM

@ncoolong

If you read the actual article on the Baltimore Sun, Ray Rice does address the Donte Stallworth issue.

24. bsizemore68 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:37 AM

The question is why does Ray need to run his mouth. The answer is because he is another football player that is not smart enough to keep his mouth shut concerning other players business. Bill

25. packattack1967 says: Jul 19, 2011 8:45 AM

Exactly Ray, I say that every time one of these guys gets busted for DUI. God forbid they hurt someone in the process. Hell, but down $500-$1000 whatever it takes and have a stretch limo waiting all night.

26. jdfrox says: Jul 19, 2011 8:50 AM

Not sure why PFT left Rice’s comments about Stallworth out of the story because it is, as someone else said, the Elephant in the Room. As for Kindle, I am sure Ray, and others, have talked to him as well.

From the Sun:

Rice said Ward could learn from Ravens wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth. It was two years ago when Stallworth killed a Miami construction worker with his car while driving under the influence of alcohol. He served 24 days in jail and was suspended from the NFL for a year.

“He will tell you that his mistakes would never, ever wish that on nobody,” Rice said. “He is very remorseful for that, and I believe in second chances. And he will never make that mistake again.”

27. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jul 19, 2011 9:02 AM

Ravens fans watch Dancing With the Stars!!
    Ha Ha Ravens fans, I bet you didn’t want that one to get out!

28. ejmat2 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:04 AM

People, Rice did not just “slam on person”. He clearly stated it doesn’t matter who drove drunk. If someone drives drunk they are wrong. Hines just happens to be the one that did it this time.

Ray is 100% correct. I’m not a Steelers or Ravens fan and I would even say I root for the Steelers more than I do the Ravens. But Ray Rice is still 100% correct.

29. sonvar says: Jul 19, 2011 9:19 AM

If he’s true to his word that he would harp on his own teammates about this then I support what Rice is saying here regardless of the player. Like it or not a lot of NFL players are role models and they need to be aware of that.

30. MichaelEdits says: Jul 19, 2011 9:19 AM

Yep, Rice is right.

31. ncraiderfan says: Jul 19, 2011 9:25 AM

I agree with Ray 100%

32. jw731 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:31 AM

And the award this for the Stiller fan,most blinded by the black and gold, and yet dumb enough to make a statement, that is factually incorrect, and then claims it doesn’t make sense to him…….Is gottawoodley…For his efforts, the organizers on the Hines Ward “Dancing with the Stars” celebration will honor him with a signed Ward ketchup bottle…….Bravo…..

33. dubs7 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:38 AM

Big Steeler Fan here..

Fact is …

you screwed up Hines…

Don’t like it..

You were lucky something worse didn’t happen..

There is an old saying…”sooner or later they ALL will dissapoint you”….

Point made…

For what it’s worth…”Go Steelers”

34. melonnhead says: Jul 19, 2011 9:40 AM

————————————————————-

The entire NFL suffers for the actions of a relative few. It’s absolutely his business when you consider that plus the fact that a drunk driver killed one of his family members.

35. tmc4real says: Jul 19, 2011 9:44 AM

In September of 2010, one month after Ray Rice kicked off his drunk driving campaign, a Raven’s assistant OL coach was popped for DUI. He has later been promoted. Andy Moeller refused the breathalyzer and then plead guilty. What did Ray Rice say after his arrest or conviction? Nothing. Then, Sergio Kindle gets popped for his 2nd DUI. It was not his first. Kindle blew a 0.17, TWICE the legal limit. He plead guilty to avoid jail time. What was Ray Rice’s comment? Nothing. Nada. Crickets.

Ray Rice is very upstanding as long as it does not involve cleaning his own house. Good thing he is worried more about the citizens in other communities than he is the citizens in his own, otherwise he may want to say something about the DUIs closest to him. What a hypocrite.

36. papasteeler says: Jul 19, 2011 9:44 AM

I’m a huge Steeler fan and I never thought I’d agree with anything a Raven player or fan had to say BUT the was by far the smartest thing I’ve ever heard come out of a Professional athlete’s mouth!! I may now seriously consider picking this guy up in my fantasy football league!

37. ccoolahan14 says: Jul 19, 2011 9:46 AM

How is this a story? Ray Rice is almost literally saying “DUI’s aren’t a good thing” and this is Newsworthy?? The Steelers have been saying inflammatory things all offseason, and several about the Ravens (they conveniently forget to mention the fact that, ya know, the games are RIGGED), and THIS is why Ryan Clark and other Steelers have their panties in a bunch? Because Ray Rice said DUI’s are bad?!?!?

38. m2karateman says: Jul 19, 2011 9:52 AM

You Pitt fans are ridiculous. This had nothing to do with bashing the Steelers, or even Hines Ward. Like it or not, Ray Rice hit the nail on the head. There is NO EXCUSE for a player making the kind of money Ward does to get in a car and drive after he’s been drinking. Nobody is saying Ward sucks as a player, as a Steeler, or as a human. And just because thousands or millions of others get drunk and then drive doesn’t it make any of them right or smart either. What is being argued is that while most Americans don’t have the funds at their disposal to have a driver or service on those occasions, Hines Ward certainly does.

Just remember, he’s not being criticized for going out and drinking. He’s being criticized for making the foolish decision to operate a vehicle after doing so.

39. jdfrox says: Jul 19, 2011 10:29 AM

tmc4real says:
    Jul 19, 2011 9:44 AM

————————————————————-

40. captainwisdom8888 says: Jul 19, 2011 10:32 AM

Ray Rice says drunk driving is bad…and he is right.

Ray Rice believed he should be the guy to point out Hines’ irresponsibility(via twitter, no less)…and he’s wrong.

*Yeah, everyone knows driving drunk is dumb, but it’s not Ray’s duty to pass judgement on anyone…

41. sportsinhd says: Jul 19, 2011 10:46 AM

I’m a Steeler fan and a Ward fan, but I can’t find any fault with Rice’s comments. Drunk driving is a serious offense, and so easily preventable.

42. steelcurtainn says: Jul 19, 2011 10:54 AM

Couldnt agree more with the post above me.
    Hines made a mistake by not getting a driver. But lets not forget to include your own teammates and staff if you plan on running your mouth at hines and the steelers about DUI’s. Criticize all or nobody. I guess we can say the same about you if you ever make this mistake. Hines has been in this league alot longer then you Ray.

43. fcs34 says: Jul 19, 2011 11:19 AM

Yeah a couple no name assitants getting popped for DUI is comparable to one of the most high profile players in the game doing the same. Give your head a shake.

Make excuses for him all you want but Ward put himself out there and made himself bigger than your average player. Now he can deal with the increased scrutiny that comes with it.

44. mgjnsc says: Jul 19, 2011 11:35 AM

wow! getting a lot of thumbs down for pointing out that Rice is a hypocrite for calling for Hines to be suspended for the 1st game of the season when he has never called for suspensions involving players and coaches on his own team for the same infraction…and nothing in my comments condones DUIs, they simply call for the same fingerpointing

45. olcap says: Jul 19, 2011 11:39 AM

It’s really nice to see one of these guys speaking out against drunk driving, when you usually just see one after another getting a DUI. Rice is obviously a human being who cares about this kind of stuff, and he’s making it known that he is against this type of behavior. Kudos to him!

46. bjb2865 says: Jul 19, 2011 12:41 PM

I dont know for sure…but last time I looked,there was a question on whether he was even drunk. I like how Ray Rice criticizes Hines when he doesnt even know the whole story. Thats why we have a court system Ray.

47. 52crabcakes says: Jul 19, 2011 12:53 PM

This Ravens fan did not watch Dancing with the Stars this year BECAUSE because of Heinz! I don’t like steeler fans.

Go Ray Rice. GO RAVENS!

48. philsimmsisadouche says: Jul 19, 2011 1:27 PM

I don’t recall Rice giving any noble speeches about public safety when his own team signed someone who had killed a pedestrian after having been caught driving under the influence MULTIPLE times.
    Rice has no credibility on the issue as far as I’m concerned because of it. He should STFU.

49. mswravens says: Jul 19, 2011 1:32 PM

@tmc4real – you sure it’s not tmc4STUPID? You don’t have a freakin clue whether Ray Rice had anything to say about Andy Moeller or Donte Stallworth (who, everyone should remember, was not a Raven when he had his infraction…and is not a Raven now…nevertheless, his crime was much worse than Hiney’s & I wish we had never signed him). He just didn’t say it on Twitter – maybe because they’re in his locker room & he could speak to them directly???

Your thoughts & opinions are worthless, because they are based on nada, nothing, crickets… Please go occupy yourself with your Steelers paraphenalia & leave the conversation to the adults…

50. tmc4real says: Jul 19, 2011 1:50 PM

mswravens, I thought I would have to explain things a little slower for a Ravens fan. First, I am glad you point out that Donte Stallworth was not a Raven. I never mentioned Stallworth. Maybe you can get someone to step in and help you with your reading. I stated that Moeller and Sergio Kindle, both with the Ravens organization, were arrested for DUI in the past year. Both were arrested after Ray Rice kicked off his campaign.

Now, everyone is defending Ray Rice for his stance against DUI and you argue that he may have handled those internally. So, your argument is he did not want to raise any awareness about those close to him, but had no issue doing it with Hines Ward. Is that really your argument? We should keep our dirty laundry hidden, but make sure we go on twitter and point it out for Hines Ward? Is that the upstanding anti-DUI campaign spokesman? This is too easy. I am vocally against this when it is someone else, but I’ll keep it quiet in my own house.

If his decision was to handle it directly and voice his displeasure with Moeller and Kindle (notice, no mention of Stallworth again), then he could have certainly picked up a phone and called Hines Ward. I am sure that two high profile players can reach each other. If he wants to take to twitter in a mocking manner (he never mentioned anything other than Hines missing the game and his potential DUI), then he should have started with the pair of double dipping drunks on his own roster.

Thanks for playing.

51. Steeler's Will says: Jul 19, 2011 3:03 PM

Rice’s comments are correct obviously.

A question for the PFT posters shouting down from their pulpits:

salmen76 says:
    Jul 19, 2011 8:21 AM
    “Perhaps Hines ain’t the model citizen we thought he was. Especialy if he’s whining and making excuses about the arrest.”

Was there really whining and excuses? Or was it a press release from a lawyer who’s making sure to not further incriminate his client? I’d love to see a reference to an article or something.

52. mr4thand1 says: Jul 19, 2011 3:07 PM

Even though I’m a diehard Steelers fan, and my strong dislike for the Ravens runs on full tilt, Ray Rice’s criticism of Hines Ward was SPOT ON………but, I still can’t wait for 9/11/2011

Steelers vs. Ravens……..now that’s gonna be good!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

53. halftermguv says: Jul 19, 2011 4:56 PM

@tmc4real…your burn of mswravens was a thing of beauty…I read it twice and laughed even harder…good job.

54. rwjk says: Jul 19, 2011 5:39 PM

@mgjnsc

i would say hines ward is a little more well known than a second round draft pick that hasnt played a down in the nfl yet. so if ray did say something to him it probably wouldnt make the news. that was a truly classy on your part ripping a guy who is taking a stance against drunk driving. youre simply pathetic

55. democratsarestupid says: Jul 19, 2011 5:44 PM

You guys criticizing Ray Rice have no idea what conversations he had with his teammates. Just because it’s not on PFT doesn’t mean those conversations didn’t happen.

Ray Rice is 100% correct on this and anyone who says otherwise is a jerk.

56. mgjnsc says: Jul 20, 2011 9:50 AM

@rwjk

1) you’re*

2) I’m ripping the guy b/c he’s looking like a lil B for not wanting Hines to play when the Ravens play the Steelers in week 1. I’m guessing that if the game was scheduled for the 2nd week of the season then Ray would be calling for a 2 game susp.

3) This wasn’t the news creating something. This was Ray Rice posting his thoughts on Twitter so nobody is taking his words and twisting them out of context. Please check his Twitter account and you will see no mention of wanting suspensions for players or coaches who have been arrested for suspicion of DUI which are currently on the same team as Ray Rice.

If he was really standing up to DUIs, he would not limit his criticism to ONLY his rival.

57. Steeler's Will says: Jul 20, 2011 11:13 AM

If he’s taking a crusader’s stance against driving impaired, then good on him. He can crusade against it by educating kids in Baltimore about the dangers of driving drunk, and he’ll get all kinds of great publicity for his cause. Calling anyone out PUBLICLY on it, either teammate, coach, or opposing player is not the way to get the message across to the fans who look up to these players. That being said, Rice’s words were classy, clean, and said nothing inflammatory.

58. Deb says: Jul 20, 2011 12:41 PM

Missed this article yesterday. Rice’s comments are true. And based on this post by MDS, I don’t see anything inflammatory or Steeler-bashing about them. The only surprising thing to me is learning it would only have cost Hines $150 to rent a car and driver for the night. That’s peanuts to guys with their income. I don’t even drink, and would love to have the option of someone chauffering me around after a long night.

As Rice said, even nonfans gave Hines grudging respect and this does stain his reputation. I realize he’s human and made a mistake. Thank God no one was hurt. But especially when you’re in the public eye, you have to think before you act.

59. tommy57 says: Jul 23, 2011 12:15 AM

I think Hines fully accepts his serious error and will take appropriate actions to ensure there is no repeat; however, I’m not always sure I understand the motives of others who feel a need to comment.