Bart Scott blasts “wimping out, making football more soft”

BartScottSweating AP

The news that the NFL players are asking the owners to agree to eliminate two-a-days isn’t being welcomed by every player.

Jets linebacker Bart Scott says players who are advocating the elimination of two-a-days aren’t being committed to player safety. They’re being wimps.

I think it’s wimping out; making football more soft,” Scott said told the Star-Ledger. “No reason to try and make camp easy.”

Scott thinks the way to bring out the best in football players is to push them to the limit, and proposals to cut down on practices will change that.

“I get concerned you’re making football players weaker because you don’t push them past that threshold,” Scott said. “I get concerned with the same thing with the quarterback stuff, that they turn it into flag football; they turn it into little pansy stuff.”

Scott thinks the tried and true tradition of two practices a day in the summer is the way football is supposed to be.

“Two-a-days, it’s what football is all about,” he said. “It’s about endurance, pain, will, putting yourself through something when your body is telling you it doesn’t want to go. Your mind controlling your body. That’s what camp is all about. With one-a-days, guys might not be in as good of shape as they would have been. Camp tears you down, and then a smart coach starts pulling back in enough time that allows players’ bodies to build back up.”

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Bart Scott blasts “wimping out, making football more soft””
  1. hokies34 says: Jul 20, 2011 7:48 AM

Bart Scott is overated.

2. ebenezergrymm says: Jul 20, 2011 7:48 AM

Bart Scott is absolutely right.

3. xxravennationxx says: Jul 20, 2011 7:57 AM

Amen Bart, i couldn’t agree with you more buddy. What is football becoming? I mean “Come on Man! “

4. ampats says: Jul 20, 2011 7:57 AM

Never thought I would ever agree with anything BS would say but this is very true. Slowly the game is being ruined. Kind of like only allowing NASCAR drivers to not go above 175MPH.

Watching SB highlights over the weekend on NFLN the Colts Mike Curtis would be a poster child back then like James Harrison.

Can’t Wait for the NFL season !!

5. phinheads says: Jul 20, 2011 8:01 AM

Man, makes you wish you had him on your team. CANT WAIT !

6. krow101 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:02 AM

How crazy a world is it where Bart Scott sounds intelligent?

7. jvm127 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:02 AM

Bart Scott usually sounds like an idiot when he speaks but everything he said here is true. Only those who never played football and never experienced two-a-days would disagree.

8. bigdaddybullwhip says: Jul 20, 2011 8:03 AM

Well said Mr. Scott. Please come and play with the Bengals and bring your friends.

9. garyman1 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:06 AM

Bart may be right….but the main thing is that football is almost here.

“CAN’T WAIT”

10. pantherfan89 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:12 AM

Great stuff Bart! I never liked the Jets but you said it better than anyone Mr. Scott. Cudos.

11. damnskins703 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:13 AM

It’s the truth NFL isn’t what it used to be I won’t be surprised if the qbs will be 2 hand touch soon.. You have 2 a days in high-school and college why not the NFL this makes no sense nobody said training camp is easy

12. btoddstern2323 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:15 AM

Shouldn’t some things be left up to coach’s and their staff’s. This is ridiculous.

13. exboomer says: Jul 20, 2011 8:15 AM

I agree 100% with BS. Just ask any Bills fan about the years Dick Jauron was our HC. He only did 2 a days twice during TC and as a result the Bills had the most starters on IR of any team in the NFL during his tenure.

14. hotep999 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:15 AM

Bart Scott always ramming about something. I’m sure Korey Stringer would have rather be called a wimp.

15. touchdownsyndrome says: Jul 20, 2011 8:17 AM

This sounds like a guy I’d want on my team.

Queue the Gruden sound bytes… “Bart Scott is a FOOTBALL PLAYER!”

16. nepatsfan83 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:25 AM

I am by no means a Bart Scott fan, but good for him! He is absolutely right. I am tired of these players wanting more and more money but now they don’t want to work hard for it. Scott may say some stupid things but I completely agree with him here!

17. chowderhead12 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:26 AM

18. mightymightylafootball says: Jul 20, 2011 8:30 AM

Bart Scott is just pointing out that what’s happening in everywhere else is what’s happening in football, too – the p*ssification of our generation.

I quote Tyler Durden (Fight Club):

“How much can you know about yourself if you’ve never been in a fight? Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing”

19. fcs34 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:30 AM

Bart Scott speaks the truth. Gotta nip this in the bud or else

” Sgt it’s too hot to train today, can’t we just go to Afganistan and wing it?”

20. cylondetector says: Jul 20, 2011 8:32 AM

Not a Bart Scott fan – but the man is right on the money here.

I’m always amazed at the whining (subtle or otherwise) that you hear from so many footballers regarding the 2-a-days.

Its this conditioning that will help them avoid injury.

Pro athletes are, for the most part, lazy buffoons.

21. fballguy says: Jul 20, 2011 8:36 AM

Albert Breer just reported that the new CBA stipulates switching to a nerf football because too many WRs suffer from “gnarly pinky”.

And on punts, gunners can’t release from the LOS until the official says “Simon says”.

Oh…and did you hear about the manadatory nap during halftime???

22. benh999 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:42 AM

I didn’t know he was capable of a coherent thought, much less one that a reasonable person could agree with.

23. myeaglescantwin says: Jul 20, 2011 8:44 AM

can anyone disagree with his statement. Two a-days is when you realize who is mentally tough. when you realize who can shine when everything is trying to break you down..

the continued ‘pu$$ification’ (thank you George Carlin) of the NFL is getting drastic.
    can’t touch QBs , can’t hit receivers dumb enough to come over the middle, limits on kick returns.. WTF..

someone has to take control of this ish before it’s too late. & now even the players are bitching out..

we all want the lockout to end ,, but what will we be left with when it’s all said and done.

24. iflounder says: Jul 20, 2011 8:49 AM

unless you’re trying to prevent a tragic korey stringer type of situation, there’s no reason not to have 2 a days.

25. leonitas21 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:50 AM

New found respect for Bart Scott. He couldn’t be any more right about this.

26. vetdana says: Jul 20, 2011 8:52 AM

He is RIGHT ! Making flag football out of the NFL ….would surely kill it.

27. jnbnet says: Jul 20, 2011 8:57 AM

As a Patriot fan, it is my job to hate “all things Jets”, however I have to agree with him on this. He understands the importance of being in top condition. I also think he is correct in saying that most of those who don’t want the two-a days are hiding behind the safety issue. The best always give their best…even in training camp.

28. Kave Krew says: Jul 20, 2011 9:02 AM

Althought i agree with what Bartman is saying, i cant help but think that he is just blowharding the opposite to get attention…….as in, ifthey said the sky was blue, he’d say it was green

He certainly has a WWE career ahead of him if he choses…….

29. drewbu22 says: Jul 20, 2011 9:16 AM

chowderhead12 says: Jul 20, 2011 8:26 AM

“big daddy bull whip you know his a## dont have no friends. if you take a poll of every linebacker in the league i can guarantee you bart scott isnt even in the top 100 of the best. he is garbage the jets are garbage. there quarterback sucks, so what he can win a few games here ans there so can jason campbel does that make him good. NO the jets will finish with an ok record but the PATS will be in the superbowl. and the league better pray number 85 doesnt come over to boston. if that happens who knows how many tds tom will have.”

Has there ever been a post more relevant to the subject matter of the article than this? Great summary, chowderhead! (sarcasm).

30. realitypolice says: Jul 20, 2011 9:37 AM

Eliminating two-a-days is a joke. Anyone who has ever attended a training camp knows that most of the time only one of the sessions is full pads with contact, and the other is shorts and helmets, no contact.

When I lived in Bethlehem, I used to frequent a sports bar near the Lehigh campus. By happy hour, half the Eagles roster would be in there drinking.

Really didn’t seem like training was killing them to me.

31. philtvc65 says: Jul 20, 2011 9:47 AM

Couldn’t agree more. Football is a collision sport please leave it that way. Qb’s have enough protection so leave it at that. I loved playing football and two a days wasn’t enough for me, please coach can I have some more !! Getting to that threshold, then powering through it was a great feeling. What a great sport. Anyway most good coaches know when to stop.
    ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!

32. bjb2865 says: Jul 20, 2011 10:19 AM

I totally agree Bart. Most likely its guys like Manning and Brady that are advocating that.

Why dont you,James Harrison,Ray Lewis,Brian Dawkins and Brian Urlacher go to NY and advocate against eliminating the two a days.

Bet you wont.

33. edukator4 says: Jul 20, 2011 10:56 AM

sorry chowderhead, but you cant say the jets are garbage. back to back conference championship game appearances is not the mark of a garbage team. especially when they beat your pats to do it last year. what does that make the patriots, and not the patriots of the early 2000s, todays patriots?
    //not a jets fan btw

34. CKL says: Jul 20, 2011 10:58 AM

This is the worst thing I know of to come from this (tentative) new deal…no two a days. I feel for coaches who will be expected to make chicken salad out of….eggs that haven’t even been hatched yet.
    I despise Scott from head to toe but kudos to him for saying this.

35. nineroutsider says: Jul 20, 2011 11:13 AM

I couldn’t agree more…I was disappointing that the owners agreed to this. It’s not my money, but throwing a tiny bit more at them might have been worth it.

It could also be the case, however, that teams and coaches will find ways around it. I can’t see some of these coaches checking the CBA every practice…

36. clintonrb says: Jul 20, 2011 11:14 AM

bart scott is great, a man that isnt afraid of peer pressure

37. scytherius says: Jul 20, 2011 11:36 AM

Well, I’m sure not a player, but from the outside I tend to agree on the two a days. But sitting out here in the ether, not having to get hit by these guys and endure a 16 game season plus (hopefully) playoffs . . . time will tell if it affects play.

38. maddog111 says: Jul 20, 2011 11:54 AM

ampats says:
    Jul 20, 2011 7:57 AM

———————————————–
    Mike Goodell happened to be watching those highlights too. He subsequently fined Curis $50,000

39. nyjalleffingday says: Jul 20, 2011 12:00 PM

Bart Scott has a great football intelligence. Read some interviews, he has a fantastic knowledge of the game and he’s a great piece for the NYJ LB Corps.

40. geno63 says: Jul 20, 2011 12:38 PM

I agree 100% with Bart’s statements! I normally don’t agree with what he says but he’s on point this time. Two-a-days are a necessary evil for football as they weed out the players who are not physically or mentally ready to play the game the way it’s meant to be played!

I remember two-a-days in high school and college and there were times when players would not come back for the second practice because they quit the team after the first one! It’s 90-95 degrees and you’re practicing in full equipment! It’s physically and mentally exhausting but you push thru it!

Now the NFL is going to have players on teams who don’t have the intestinal fortitude to play the game but, yet and still, will collect paychecks instead of being sent packing because they “quit” during training camp!

41. luckynumberlucas says: Jul 20, 2011 12:43 PM

I don’t think its good that the QBs are getting protected like sweet little girls.

Also, if you just graze a helmet with your own helmet or your hand is a stupid, stupid penalty.

THAT is way too protective.

BUT what I am in favor of, is that they are trying to eliminate brute helmet to helmet hits, that can cause concussions or worse.

42. castleanthrax says: Jul 20, 2011 1:53 PM

Wow, the lockout has even caused Bart Scott to say something intelligent and with foresight.

Holy crap!

Yep, gotta agree with him here. He’d dead on with his statement.

43. asublimeday says: Jul 20, 2011 2:48 PM

The competition for biggest moron in the NFL is really heating up nowadays. Bart is in the race for sure.

44. domehead says: Jul 20, 2011 8:35 PM

Wow…I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing with this guy on something. First time for everything, I guess.

45. southmo says: Jul 25, 2011 2:42 PM

Bart is right, but pads or no pads, the tough coaches will just make them run gassers until they pass out. It’s not the same, but my guess is they’ll toughen them up regardless.

46. skins359 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:55 PM

You guys will be happier when you have more of your starters healthy when the season starts. Everyday of training camp the past couple of decades has been like Russian Roulette. Always wondering when a key player is going to be carted off with a major injury.

I understand Bart’s sentiment, but when Bart can actually make a fist in retirement without having to deal with terrible pain he’ll be thankful. When he doesn’t need to be escorted to the bathroom at 50 he’ll be thankful. When he can play with his kids after football he’ll be thankful.

I went through what was technically 3 a days in high school even though one practice was an hour and a half shells ST walkthrough, and that was brutal. I can only imagine the damage the human body goes through knocking heads with some of the worlds fastest and strongest men on a daily basis. In the end it doesn’t matter how tough you are, everyone has a limit.