Game’s top fullback Leach lists teams on his radar

Andre Johnson, Vonta Leach, Arian Foster AP

When making free agent lists, no one makes a “best available” fullback run down.

But Texans fullback Vonta Leach is no normal fullback; he’s respected enough by his peers that NFL Network’s Top 100 list had Leach in the top 60.  (While Leach is a beast, that high a ranking for any fullback seems a little crazy.)

Houston wants to keep Leach, but it sounds like the eight-year veteran is interested in seeing what’s out there.  Leach told Adam Schein of SIRIUS NFL Radio (via ESPNNewYork.com) that the “Giants, Seahawks, and Charger” are on his radar if he winds up leaving Houston.

It’s nice to be slowly getting back into posts like this, isn’t it?

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
25 Responses to “Game’s top fullback Leach lists teams on his radar”
  1. Kaz says: Jul 20, 2011 10:34 AM

You might want to hold off. There is news coming out soon from Mawae that will make everyone cringe..

2. tmac48 says: Jul 20, 2011 10:34 AM

Unfortunately with the cap number going back down to $120 million, the Texans don’t have much room to do anything. Good luck in Tampa Nhamdi…

3. tjacks7 says: Jul 20, 2011 10:35 AM

As a Viking fan forced to watch Nafu Tahi fan on almost every block and clog up holes for Peterson, I have a new appreciation for fullbacks. This guys a beast, I don’t see anything odd with his ranking when guys like Donovan McNabb make the list.

4. geeeeemen says: Jul 20, 2011 10:37 AM

Giants signed him to an offer sheet back in 2008 but the Texans matched it. I doubt the Gmen spend top dollar on a fullback now, even though he’d be a beast in NY.

5. cacksman says: Jul 20, 2011 10:40 AM

Nice. Seattle needs this dude!

6. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 20, 2011 10:42 AM

The Giants wanted him badly three years ago… I’d love to see him in blue!

7. homelanddefense says: Jul 20, 2011 10:45 AM

I really wish the Pats would actually use a fullback every once and a while. Players like Leach are fun to watch play and I would love him on my team.

8. edukator4 says: Jul 20, 2011 10:48 AM

the ranking is fine. the problem is that a lot of football watchers these days only acknowledge skill players as football players. no respect or understanding of the grunt work that goes into making the plays happen. personally i blame fantasy football for this

9. backuppunter says: Jul 20, 2011 10:54 AM

I know there are very few that actually exist anymore but I love the versatile fullback. a guy that run, catch, and block, especially run block. line up at tight end, half back, or fullback. i know the game has changed and i’m not totally against that but i love fullbacks. I used be a Madden addict and would make Mike Alstott catch 1000 yards and rush for 1000 yards. MVP! anyway…..

10. Kaz says: Jul 20, 2011 11:00 AM

Told you there’s a big issue going on that will rain on this excitement parade. Why thumbs down me because I broke news early smdh…

11. jimmysee says: Jul 20, 2011 11:03 AM

Do you think he’s related to Cary Grant (Reggie Leach)?

12. nittanylion0 says: Jul 20, 2011 11:03 AM

Well, this confirms it. I call the Giants will be all in on Leach. He’s interested in us, and we (as I noted in the last PFT post on Leach and another noted above) tried to get him as an RFA in ’08. Giants have a need at FB and this is an easy way to substantially upgrade the run game. If Bear Pascoe can slide in and keep the Giants’ run game effective, imagine what Leach could do.

13. galvestontexans says: Jul 20, 2011 11:10 AM

Texans Really need to resign this guy.

14. melonnhead says: Jul 20, 2011 11:21 AM

Unfortunately with the cap number going back down to $120 million

———————————————————–

There is no way, no how the salary cap will be set back to a lower than 2009 level (about $128 million). Again, $8 million X 32 teams = over a quarter billion bucks in potential losses for the players just this season alone. Do not believe the hype about the salary floor being raised, even if it goes up to 90% of the cap ($108 million on a $120 million cap) it only represents about a million bucks more than the 2009 cap floor (which was based on a salary cap of $124 millon. $4 million was added to address shortfalls during the 2008 season and was not used to calculate the salary cap floor for that season).

15. marjax says: Jul 20, 2011 11:43 AM

If Leach leaves, the Texans could always land Lawrence Vickers, and probably not miss a beat.

16. enders9 says: Jul 20, 2011 11:51 AM

Kaz says: Jul 20, 2011 11:00 AM

———————————————-

Because you didn’t break any news, you just said there is bad news coming. Why not actually say what is coming and how you know it before the media does. (aka, you’re probably lying)

17. db3300 says: Jul 20, 2011 11:57 AM

“… but I’ll go anywhere they back the truck up.”

18. mike83ri says: Jul 20, 2011 11:58 AM

With the hard-on Pete Carroll seems to have for making the Seahawks a running team, it’s hard to picture Leach landing elsewhere.

19. seabreezes51 says: Jul 20, 2011 12:03 PM

The Eagles know the value of a great Fullback
    Don’t count them out.

20. ccoolahan14 says: Jul 20, 2011 12:08 PM

Ravens.

21. blitzinc43 says: Jul 20, 2011 12:40 PM

seabreeze51,

Schmitt, Havilli, and potentially Weaver again is good enough FB competition for the eagles.

They don’t need him and 100% will not get him.

22. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jul 20, 2011 12:41 PM

As a Texans fan, i’d hate to see him leave…he’s a HUGE asset to our offense. HOWEVER- we desperately need help from free agency to @ least make our secondary average (a certain free agent from the Raiders comes to mind). Besides, it may not just be about the $$$…Leach may just be tired of losing & wants to be on a team that could actually make the play-off’s.

23. ghostposter12 says: Jul 20, 2011 12:51 PM

So PFT complains about the NFL Network’s Top 100 list on the one hand, then uses it – as it is – to justify someones ranking with it on the other. Can’t have it both ways. I agree with the complaining BTW. But I would arrive at a more equitable list before using it to justify how good someone is with their ranking on it – although I get your point that just being on it shows what other players think of Vonta. For me I would have to do some hard thinking before deciding he belongs on that list or not.

24. txndave says: Jul 20, 2011 2:42 PM

Let him leave.. James casey is waiting to replace him and the dude is made out stone. My message to leach.. Duuuce!!!!!

25. Kaz says: Jul 20, 2011 3:15 PM

enders9 says:
    Jul 20, 2011 11:51 AM
    Kaz says: Jul 20, 2011 11:00 AM

———————————————-

_______

I have no reason to lie. Obviously I wasn’t.