Metrodome turf needs to be replaced, after only one year

metrodome-roof-collapse AP

Last year, new turf was installed at the Metrodome.  This year, new turf will be installed at the Metrodome.

Per Rochelle Olson of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the one-year-old surface needs to be replaced because it spent too much time under water as a result of the roof collapse that occurred in December 2010, after a blizzard.

The low bid for the new field was $476,000.

And, like last year, there’s a chance this field will be used for only one year, too.  With the Vikings’ lease at the Metrodome expiring after the 2011 season and with the politicians’ heads residing in a place other than on their shoulders, this could be the last year that anyone plays football there.

To the delight of Luke Russert and the many Bills fans who hope to see someone other than Buffalo’s team move to L.A.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Metrodome turf needs to be replaced, after only one year”
  1. thephantomstranger says: Jul 20, 2011 1:15 PM

There will still be a lot of high school and small college games played there and there are also a lot of college baseball games, so even if the Vikings left, the turf would be used. That said, the Vikings will be playing there for a few years until there new stadium in Arden Hills is completed.

2. trbowman says: Jul 20, 2011 1:16 PM

I hate to say it but damnit, it needs to be said…..

Meet the LA Vikings.

3. kingjoe1 says: Jul 20, 2011 1:18 PM

Christian Ponder is going to like being the Hollywood star QB. Hope he is single, for his sake.

4. mightymightylafootball says: Jul 20, 2011 1:20 PM

Go with the Boise State blue turf.

That way, if the Vikings leave, Minnestoa can try to get the Bills to move west.

Thank you, thank you – Ill be here all week. Dont forget to tip your waitress.

5. marvsleezy says: Jul 20, 2011 1:22 PM

The Bills new turf only cost $178,000.

6. cliverush says: Jul 20, 2011 1:23 PM

The state is trying to operate schools and other public service to survive. Football stadiums are not a priority now.

7. antalicus says: Jul 20, 2011 1:30 PM

Can you not just reuse the new turf at their new stadium that might be built? Does it become unusable after installed?

8. cosanostra71 says: Jul 20, 2011 1:31 PM

Like I said yesterday, hope LA can get their stuff together, because this is a great opportunity!

9. greatminnesotasportsmind says: Jul 20, 2011 1:33 PM

Go with the Boise State blue turf.

Thank you, thank you – Ill be here all week. Dont forget to tip your waitress.

———————————————————————————–

Owners just approved a rule where all playing surfaces (except endzones) must be green. An unnamed team apparently was trying for a different colored field.

10. sonvar says: Jul 20, 2011 1:34 PM

The state of Minnesota is dealing with much bigger budget issues than football stadiums. While I’m sure this may be on their mind it isn’t a pressing issue no matter how much you love football. I understand you want to talk about football but I think you’re the one who has his head residing in a place other than on their shoulder.

11. supashug says: Jul 20, 2011 1:37 PM

the turf in Buffalo is being done at that price by a no name company for marketing purposes. It will have to be replaced in 2 years, just like the Bill QB

12. glac1 says: Jul 20, 2011 1:40 PM

I wouldn’t stick to much money into the building. They’ll be in LA next year anyway.

13. kissbillsrings says: Jul 20, 2011 1:42 PM

Maybe the new L.A. Vikings will be reunited with Brad Childress….wouldn’t that be a riot!!!!

14. hobartbaker says: Jul 20, 2011 1:47 PM

It’s Minnesota, where all the cars have to have the rust holes filled and be repainted after one year as well.

15. anactualnflowner says: Jul 20, 2011 1:51 PM

I usually take time after posts like these to make fun of how much of a joke the Vikings are. When it becomes obvious that the organization is drowning its no longer funny, and more closely resembles making fun of the handicapped. Sorry Vikings fans, I hope things work out for you.

16. schmitty2 says: Jul 20, 2011 2:00 PM

They could leave the turf the way it is now and the Bears would still be jealous

17. bubashep says: Jul 20, 2011 2:02 PM

Christian Ponder…meet the new Metrodome turf.

18. Biff Hammer says: Jul 20, 2011 2:06 PM

As a lifelong Vikings fan of more than 40 years (with the battle scars to prove it), and 2 hours from the Dome, I don’t think a franchise relocating is as big a deal as it was even 20 years ago. With the Sunday Ticket now, the internet, satellite radio, etc., our teams are our teams, no matter where they play.

All a move to LA does is keep Vikings ownership from charging us sickening ticket prices, outrageous parking prices, and laughable concessions prices. I’ll watch my Vikes on my HD bigscreen thru the Sunday Ticket, park in my garage, and make my own concessions, thank you very much.

P.S. – the new stadium plans were for another enclosed one anyway, which is heresy to any longtime Vikings fan. To not use our God-given weather advantage in November and December was treasonous. Name another COLD winter team that doesn’t use that to its advantage (I except the Lions from this, as they are only now starting to demonstrate that they’re a real NFL team.)…

19. iamthorny says: Jul 20, 2011 2:11 PM

Nice forward thinking Minnesota…NOBODY thought, “Hey. Maybe, we should take the turf out of here, right away, because this could be bad for it?”.

…and Minnesota is one of the tops in America for education. We’re all doomed.

20. purpleguy says: Jul 20, 2011 2:15 PM

The cost to replace the turf is insured — big deal. The turf will hold up just fine for the next few years while the stadium is built in Arden Hills. Much like the jabs from cheeser fans, we’ll just have to live with the hysteria till the stadium bill passes in a fall special session or the 2012 session.

21. radrhatr says: Jul 20, 2011 2:24 PM

Brett Favre will save the day.

He’s sitting on his tractor, with his junk hanging out, cutting the new sod, down in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. as we type.

22. cleonslamminsalmon says: Jul 20, 2011 2:34 PM

I guess this is Face part 2.

23. hobartbaker says: Jul 20, 2011 2:36 PM

PFT laughs at the Metrodome. He has had the same rug for the past 27 years.

24. Little Earthquake says: Jul 20, 2011 2:38 PM

I don’t see why it needs replacing. It got plenty of water last season.

25. southcakpanther says: Jul 20, 2011 2:41 PM

Football should be played outside on real grass, period. I played on turf in college, the old style, and it sucked. This new flubber stuff is garbage as well.

Go green, plant grass.

26. Patriot42 says: Jul 20, 2011 2:42 PM

The Lakers moved to LA now the Vikings

27. technovike says: Jul 20, 2011 2:51 PM

Not like theres an empty stadium anywhere including LA waiting for a team to show up

28. iamthorny says: Jul 20, 2011 2:53 PM

…So did Brett Favre, but that didn’t stop the Vikings from leaving him in there.

29. theripster30 says: Jul 20, 2011 3:00 PM

Geez.. what a mess the vikings are

30. fertacrit says: Jul 20, 2011 3:01 PM

Don’t these politicians and anti-stadium people here in MN understand that if the Purple leave, we will loose serious tax dollars? Even the visiting players hafta pay state taxes on their gameday checks played in MN. Not to mention, all the jobs for building and then operating the stadium will be lost. Its not like a vikings stadium would only operate 10 days a year either. The reason for the roof is to allow for concerts, final fours, truck pulls, other events during the winter months so the stadium can be more versatile. I would think the dome would get torn down, since that is prime downtown real estate if a new stadium happens. Idiots!!!!

31. xxbomberxx says: Jul 20, 2011 3:06 PM

They only played there 6 times last year, that field should be plenty fresh, Lord knows there arent any playoff games being played there or anything….

32. jimmysee says: Jul 20, 2011 3:35 PM

Is this part of the insurance claim for the collapsed roof?

Hope so.

33. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Jul 20, 2011 3:42 PM

sonvar says:Jul 20, 2011 1:34 PM

__________________________________

Then log out of here and go directly to: http://www.MinnesotaStateBudget.com

Jag. You aware at where you’re at, don’t you? Maybe not…if I was stuck in MN, I’d be drunk 24/7 too. Maybe the name of the site threw you off.

34. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Jul 20, 2011 3:53 PM

southcakpanther says:Jul 20, 2011 2:41 PM

Go green, plant grass.
    __________________________________

If you knew as much as you tend to think you do, you’d know that EVERY playing surface with grass at an NFL venue is now using a composite, mixed in with real grass. Due to wear and tear, you’d have to replace the field on a weekly basis. The only team that can actually do that is Arizona where they slide the backup field in from outside….something a little tough to do in East Dakota all year.

35. skimbell says: Jul 20, 2011 3:59 PM

“thephantomstranger says:
    Jul 20, 2011 1:15 PM
    There will still be a lot of high school and small college games played there…

I thought you said the Vikes were leaving…?

36. theytukrjobs says: Jul 20, 2011 4:14 PM

Doesn’t LA need a stadium before the Vikings can actually start playing there? Even if they ultimately move, I’d think they still play here next season.

37. jackfactor says: Jul 20, 2011 4:29 PM

The Vikings quickly looked if there was any washed up turf in Green Bay to add, but alas – Green Bay turf is the real deal

Today – Vikings may look to bring in Hasselbeck as rookie ramps up.

Seriously – another old Packers player.

38. carlgerbschmidt says: Jul 20, 2011 4:35 PM

fertacrit says:
    Jul 20, 2011 3:01 PM
    Its not like a vikings stadium would only operate 10 days a year either.

________

10 days a year? Did they extend the regular season to 20 games? Oh, wait, you must be talking about playof…. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. I dont’ think so!

39. thephantomstranger says: Jul 20, 2011 4:54 PM

purpleisreallypinkyouknow says:
    Jul 20, 2011 3:42 PM
    ____________

Are you sure you’re not drunk now? You just typed “You aware at where you’re at, don’t you?”

40. sschmiggles says: Jul 20, 2011 4:55 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jul 20, 2011 4:35 PM

________________________________

Try preseason, genius. 8 + 2 = 10.

41. fertacrit says: Jul 20, 2011 4:56 PM

gerby- umm…..2 pre-season home games + 8 regular season home games = 10 home games must be that wisconsin math. Have another paint chip…

42. thephantomstranger says: Jul 20, 2011 4:56 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jul 20, 2011 4:35 PM
    fertacrit says:
    Jul 20, 2011 3:01 PM
    Its not like a vikings stadium would only operate 10 days a year either.

________

_________________

I think he was referring to 8 regular season games and 2 preseason games. By the way, which team had the more recent home playoff game? The Vikings or the Packers?

43. brewdogg says: Jul 20, 2011 5:08 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jul 20, 2011 4:35 PM
    fertacrit says:
    Jul 20, 2011 3:01 PM
    Its not like a vikings stadium would only operate 10 days a year either.

________

——————————-

Ummmm…. I can only assume I am responding to someone who needs constant adult supervision. So I’ll say this very carefully and respectfully…..

Pre…sea…son….games.

And you should also be aware that the Packers have played the exact same number of playoff games as the Vikings have, and they had a 40 year head start.

44. paulharghis says: Jul 20, 2011 6:05 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jul 20, 2011 4:35 PM
    fertacrit says:
    Jul 20, 2011 3:01 PM
    Its not like a vikings stadium would only operate 10 days a year either.

________

=============================

Dude, how ignorant are you?

2 preseason games
    8 home games

That equals 10 every other place in the free world licktard.

Iwouldn’t be so sure about them not being a playoff team either jerky.

Carl, even your Packer brethren are making fun of you. Maybe it’s time to scrap the moniker and start over?

45. dazdillinger213 says: Jul 20, 2011 6:20 PM

Deleted my comment again about the Vikings Stadium getting done PFT? You really want them to leave don’t you? Stop posting stories that they are leaving when they clearly are not……………………………………………………… Stir the pot some more.

46. carlgerbschmidt says: Jul 20, 2011 6:33 PM

@phantom, @brewdog, @ph

You would count preseason games. I’m sure you all sit there and watch them, too.

And jerky? really, hey paul, does the name “pervy harvin” mean anything to you? I suspect it does.

47. carlgerbschmidt says: Jul 20, 2011 6:53 PM

vadog almost had me feeling bad for you vike fans. But, I’m over it, I’m going to enjoy watching your sad little faces when the uhauls are leaving winterpark.

48. tombradysponytail says: Jul 20, 2011 6:55 PM

Yes. Daz is back. This should be interesting….

49. fertacrit says: Jul 20, 2011 7:00 PM

Actually no, I don’t watch the pre-season games, they bore me to tears. That doesn’t mean the state doesn’t bring on money from them. I know the players don’t get paid fo pre-season games so theres no state income tax but other things like concessions, parking, etc. bring in money not to mention the jobs it provides.

50. dazdillinger213 says: Jul 20, 2011 7:26 PM

The Vikings aren’t leaving. Read any website besides this.. They keep deleting my links.

Carl, shut up and get a life.

Tom, what do you want to say?

51. dd393 says: Jul 20, 2011 7:34 PM

All the Vikings need now is for Brett Favre to renounce his retirement and come back for another season or twelve.

52. tombradysponytail says: Jul 20, 2011 7:36 PM

@daz

Sorry, the “…” probably made it look like I had more to say. I got nothing other than pft is more interesting when you’re around. Nothing negative about it at all.

You guys should lay off Carl, he made an innocent mistake. Who really counts preseason games, anyway? Well, lay off him for that mistake anyway. Savage him on the rest if you want.

53. carlgerbschmidt says: Jul 20, 2011 7:39 PM

fertacrit says:Jul 20, 2011 7:00 PM

_________

Yes, thank you for explaining that to me. I do understand that preseason games bring in Revenue. I’m sure LA county will really appreciate that, given their seemingly annual budget issues.

54. ikickgypsies says: Jul 20, 2011 7:40 PM

has anyone found out what happened in carl’s life to make him so angry and bitter? did vikings murder his family or something??

55. paulharghis says: Jul 20, 2011 10:02 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jul 20, 2011 6:33 PM
    @phantom, @brewdog, @ph

==================================
    Sure, Pervy is another poster that hands you your a$$ verbally on a regular basis. Sorry, I’m not him though. Super called me out for who I used to be. The one thing on this site he was correct about.

56. tombradysponytail says: Jul 21, 2011 9:03 AM

paulharghis says:
    Jul 20, 2011 10:02 PM
    carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jul 20, 2011 6:33 PM
    @phantom, @brewdog, @ph

==================================

===========

Really? So, that bit between you and Supersuckers was real? Is that the “decaying friendship” you referred to? So, you let a real-life friendship be destroyed because of back-and-forth comments on a website about the NFL? I think you might need a break…

57. thephantomstranger says: Jul 21, 2011 3:56 PM

As I recall it, Super thought I was who Paul used to be, and Paul just said it ain’t me, dude. So Super didn’t really call anyone out, Paul just admitted who he was. Meanwhile, my movements are still cloaked in mystery.

But perhaps I’ve said too much…

58. paulharghis says: Jul 21, 2011 5:48 PM

===========================
    Ponytail:

Thanks for your concern, but you should probably MYOB.

Suffice it to say that there were other influences on my desicion. That is all you need to know.

I’m sorry if that comes off as crass.

I put something out there that should have been handled offline, but the end justified the means.

59. brewdogg says: Jul 21, 2011 9:34 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Jul 20, 2011 6:33 PM
    @phantom, @brewdog, @ph

———————————–

That’s funny, coming from someone who crows about the Packer’s “awesome depth”….. I guess when you are an ignorant homer you just assume that everyone on the team is a great player, instead of actually wanting to see for yourself whether they can play or not.