Brian Dawkins indicates he’ll take a paycut to return to Denver

St. Louis Rams v Denver Broncos Getty Images

We put Brian Dawkins on our list of defensive players that could get cut, but that a re-negotiated contract was possible.  It looks like that’s exactly what will happen.

“When I signed this deal I knew what it was,” Dawkins told Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “It was basically a two-year deal. I knew after a couple years there was a balloon [mechanism] and we most likely would have to restructure. That’s no big deal to me.”

Klis writes Dawkins will be on the Broncos, very likely as their starting strong safety.  Dawkins is due $6 million, but Klis indicates the Broncos want to take a “large portion” of a $3.76 million escalator back in a new deal.

It sounds like that won’t be an issue with Dawkins, and he will be back to lead the Broncos defense.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
28 Responses to “Brian Dawkins indicates he’ll take a paycut to return to Denver”
  1. silverhornet says: Jul 21, 2011 4:28 PM

Wait, a football player who is willing to renegotiate his contract? WTF is the world coming to?

2. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 21, 2011 4:30 PM

I still don’t understand how the Eagles ever let him go… and I’m a Giants fan. This guy meant as much to Philly as Strahan meant to us – the absolute heart and soul of that entire team, the most beloved player by the fans… huge, huge mistake.

As a Giants fan, I loved it. I hated facing Dawkins. One of the biggest animals the NFL has ever seen, and I only mean that in the most complimentary way.

3. terrellblowens says: Jul 21, 2011 4:32 PM

I was kind of hoping he could come back to the Eagles to help groom the rookie Jarrett, who reminds the Eagles of Weapon X himself. Dawkins was my favorite player ever

4. ebenezergrymm says: Jul 21, 2011 4:32 PM

Dawkins is a cool cat. If the Broncos drop him the Eagles should pick him back up on the cheap so he can retire where his real home is.

5. doowix says: Jul 21, 2011 4:33 PM

Class act, but it’s unfortunate for teams who could really use a starting safety and have a chance to win more than 3 games.

6. phillyforlife says: Jul 21, 2011 4:33 PM

Well thats it Dawk you are dead to me now could have made the same over all in Philly. But you chose this route hope ya blow a knee!!

7. b7p19 says: Jul 21, 2011 4:39 PM

You’re still loved in Philly Dawk, but I wish you would have had that attitude before your chased the money to Denver…

8. philyeagles5 says: Jul 21, 2011 4:45 PM

i hope they cut him and philly gets him back.

9. everydayimfumbilin says: Jul 21, 2011 4:45 PM

to bad his career is dying in denver

10. We'reFineThere says: Jul 21, 2011 4:49 PM

This news doesn’t surprise me with everything I know about him. He has pretty much spent his 16 year career (relatively) underpaid because of his loyalty.

11. fmwarner says: Jul 21, 2011 4:51 PM

I don’t begrudge Dawkins taking the money. The Denver contract was so much richer than what the Eagles offered him. The Eagles made a token offer. He made more in the two years in Denver than he would have in Philly, by far.

12. laeaglefan says: Jul 21, 2011 4:53 PM

Why shouldn’t he be willing to renegotiate? If he gets paid a couple of million its still a lot better than nothing…since that would be the alternative to going along with it. I mean, let’s face it….Dawkins is done as a player. What they’re really willing to pay him for is to coach and mentor the young defensive backs.

13. CKL says: Jul 21, 2011 4:56 PM

I have nothing but love for old school warriors like Dawk. Good dude, man of integrity, everything you respect and admire in a payer and person.

14. digirootune says: Jul 21, 2011 5:21 PM

berniemadoffsides says: Jul 21, 2011 4:30 PM

—————————————-
    Agreed. Although my Skins have made it tough to make anyone look subpar in the last few years…Hail:(

15. dbellina says: Jul 21, 2011 5:25 PM

That sucks that he’s going back to Denver. I was kind of hoping the Vikes would cut Madeau Williams and sing Dawkins.

Dawkins is a beast. He may not put up the best numbers, but he is a leader in the locker room and seems like a genuinely good guy. I’d love to have him in Minnesota if it doesn’t work out in Denver.

16. dbellina says: Jul 21, 2011 5:26 PM

Sign,* not sing.

17. kyleortonsarm says: Jul 21, 2011 5:33 PM

I’m glad Dawkins wants to retire as a Bronco so he can go off into the sunset on a team that can actually get it done in a Super Bowl. Retiring an Eagle would have been an embarrassment to him as a human being and as a competitor. His old team has and has had zero fight, heart, and soul.

18. hobartbaker says: Jul 21, 2011 5:44 PM

“Good afternoon Mr. Dawkins, would you prefer a ‘haircut’ or a roster cut, today?”.

19. rushbacker says: Jul 21, 2011 5:46 PM

He’s one of the very finest defensive players of his generation, and one of the best ambassador’s the sport has ever had. Pure class meets pure intensity. With the ways Jim Johnson used him earlier in his career, he was basically the prototype for a position that has evolved tremendously over the last fifteen years or so.

20. forevercorr says: Jul 21, 2011 5:54 PM

As a Denver fan, this is great news. He may have lost a step in speed, but he is a smart, dedicated player and seems to be an amazing man. He is bringing class and leadership to a team that needs both, and keeping him in town helps the Broncos on and off the field.

21. sasquash20 says: Jul 21, 2011 5:55 PM

I’m a die-hard B-DAWK fan. My favorite Eagle of all time. Reggie White is a close 2nd though, and the best Eagle of all time.

To all the Eagle fans who ask why he couldn’t take a home town discount with Philly a few years back, remember The Walrus and Joe Banner kind of disrespected the man. I remember hearing Ike Reese on WIP talk about it (BDAWK wouldn’t get into it in public) and saying how Dawk felt insulted. How he felt he had given so much to the Eagles and they didn’t even seem to want him back. I agree with the way BDAWK felt and wouldn’t have allowed him to ever become a free agent in the first place. And you can’t say he was done at that point either, he did win NFC defensive player of the month in Dec of that last season in Philly.

Anyhow good luck BDAWK. You were a warrior, a solider, and a bad ass. Philly loves you. Thanks for all the great seasons laying it on the line with more passion then any player I can remember.

22. jackfnburton says: Jul 21, 2011 5:59 PM

And we will take you, sir. As a Broncos fan trust me, we will accept any and all help on defense this year. Put Butkus in a wheelchair. We’ll take him.

23. thetooloftools says: Jul 21, 2011 6:42 PM

This man is real.
    He get’s it.

24. norcaleagles says: Jul 21, 2011 7:03 PM

I’ve read a few comments from some fans about how the Eagles disrespected Dawkins by not wanting him back. Thats not true. Maybe Dawkins felt disrespected, but the Eagles DID offer him a 1 year deal and he refused. I love Dawkins and he was my favorite player to watch and cheer on, but maybe the Eagles knew what they were doing by only offering him a 1 year deal becuase he went on to make the Pro-Bowl that year in ’09, but last year he played very poorly. With Dawkins’ age, I dont expect him to turn around and have another dominant season, but who know? The guy keeps himself in tremendous shape. With that being said, I still hope he ends up signing with Philly for one more farewell season, even if its just a backup role or short yardage situations. He needs to retire as an Eagle.

25. norcaleagles says: Jul 21, 2011 7:12 PM

BERNIEMADOFFSIDES, So basically, you’re saying that your team has no more heart and soul ever since Strahan retired, right? And by the way, maybe you shoudnt be so happy that Dawkins left Philly. The Eagles are undefeated against the giants ever since Dawkins left.

26. mdnittlion says: Jul 21, 2011 8:01 PM

As an Eagles fan I hope he finishes out his career and comes back to the city in some capacity. I’ll admit Reggie White was my favorite Eagle then Brian.

27. turk2875 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:03 PM

Can Dawk get some love?? Everytime they talk about the best safties in the NFL, past or present, they always leave out Dawkins. The man is a 8X Pro-Bowler for a reason, and is a true warrior that left everything on the field. A Hall Of Famer in my eyes, and one of the best EVER!!!!!!!!

28. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 22, 2011 8:32 AM

@ norcaleagles:

We haven’t had someone step in and be the next Strahan, let’s put it that way. Pierce left and since then we’ve been looking for a vocal leader on defense. I’d like for it to be Tuck, but I’m not sure it will be. Jacobs is as close as we’ve got.

And I don’t really feel the need to celebrate regular season wins, considering we’ve won three Super Bowls. It’s a great feeling to know as a storied organization, we have three of them – and four NFL championships, as well.

But congrats on your regular season wins, though. That’s, uh… that’s pretty good, too. lol