Goodell, Smith still in talks this morning

smith_goodell_110628_IA AP

By the end of the day, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA* Executive Director DeMaurice Smith may both preside over votes of the men they work for that will bring an end to the lockout. But they still have a few remaining issues to resolve before they can do that.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that Goodell and Smith had one-on-one conversations both Wednesday night and Thursday morning to iron out those remaining issues. Both men are still hoping that their respective sides will vote on a new deal to end the lockout today.

Smith declined to offer a prediction on what would happen, but he came across as positive about his interactions with Goodell.

“I know everyone wants to be an expert and say they know exactly what’s going on behind closed doors and when this is going to happen,” Smith told ESPN on Wednesday night. “Both sides know where they stand. Both sides continue to work very intensively, as we have for several weeks. I’m not into the prediction business and I’m not about to get into details, but their side knows what our deal is and, again, we know where they stand.”

To reach a new deal, 24 of the 32 teams would have to vote to approve it, and a majority of the 1,900 or so active players would also have to OK it. It’s not clear which side will vote first; the players were expected to vote on Wednesday but haven’t voted yet.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
35 Responses to “Goodell, Smith still in talks this morning”
  1. benh999 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:18 AM

Maybe I am missing something, but how can they vote on a document that is still being negotiated by Goodell and Smith as of this morning?

2. hookem6903 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:20 AM

128 days of “any day now.” This better be the end of it.

3. richardmb52 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:20 AM

20 bucks says it’s approved today

4. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Jul 21, 2011 11:21 AM

PFT Planet is cranky, and understandably so. But don’t let your discontent cloud your judgment. Put yourself in the players’ shoes. Wouldn’t you feel that you should get something to settle your lawsuits, especially if the owners did not get you to agree up front that their offer of terms was explicitly contingent upon you dropping your legal claims? Be honest.

Unlike many, I respect what the players are doing here, despite the fact that I have been squarely in the owners’ corner throughout this labor dispute. As has been pointed out elsewhere, these are the labor pains that precede the birth of the CBA baby into this high-stakes business world. BOTH “parents” need to push just a little harder to make it happen.

5. b7p19 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:21 AM

What on earth is De wearing in that picture?

6. birdcrazy911 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:22 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WE WANT FOOTBALL, NOT A BUNCH OF GIRL TALK!!!

7. lovesportsandsurfing says: Jul 21, 2011 11:23 AM

Those two are in talks?…ok, thanks for the bad news,..every time those two get together nothing good happens,…no NFL in 2011, thats a lock.

8. goodandfast says: Jul 21, 2011 11:27 AM

“Both sides know where they stand. Both sides continue to work very intensively, as we have for SEVERAL weeks…”

Ummmm since when does 18=several?

9. commentcentral says: Jul 21, 2011 11:27 AM

thumbs up: Mike Brown votes Yes for the new CBA.

thumbs downs: Mike Brown votes No for the new CBA.

10. pastorinisflak says: Jul 21, 2011 11:27 AM

I put this comment in another post today and I though it would be a good idea to include it here in this post:

I know this may fall on blind eyes but I’m just going to say it. I love the NFL. I have loved the NFL since I was a kid. As a kid I owned 15 or 20 NFL Films VHS tapes and I would watch them over and over. Every aspect of the game is so interesting and captivating to me.

I love to watch America’s Game, I follow every team religiously, I watch NFL network all the time, I go to a couple of games every year even though I can’t really afford it, and I could probably name starters and back ups from every team going back to the 1950s. I have invested years of my life into the NFL and I have loved every minute of it but this lockout is making me sick. I understand that everyone should have a goal to maximize their potiential earning in their respective jobs but the rollercoaster ride that the owners and players are putting us on has got to stop.

I hope and pray this new CBA is agreed upon and ratified today or else the NFL will be losing a true fan.

11. goldeelox says: Jul 21, 2011 11:27 AM

There’s been a lot of “locks” and “booking it” with little results during this fiasco.

12. chatham10 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:33 AM

The discussion are not about the CBA but they are deciding No. 1 Who gets the credit for getting this done, 2. What insider should get the credit for reporting the CBA is approved and 3. When can I quit getting only a $1 salary and Smith .67 cents.

13. clintonrb says: Jul 21, 2011 11:38 AM

so ill ask again, why didnt they get everything ironed out before the took it to vote?

14. Kaz says: Jul 21, 2011 11:38 AM

benh999 says:
    Jul 21, 2011 11:18 AM
    ___

Exactly. A key hint to the disappointment that is coming as people realize the lockout won’t be over tomorrow.

15. echoplex89 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:40 AM

how much is a “majority” of 1,900?

16. deadmanwalking47 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:40 AM

the players are doing a great job of making themselves look like the bad guys here!

17. Kaz says: Jul 21, 2011 11:44 AM

echoplex89 says:
    Jul 21, 2011 11:40 AM
    how much is a “majority” of 1,900?
    ___

10. Cause all it takes is one person on the suit to not agree with the settlement offer.

18. xinellum says: Jul 21, 2011 11:44 AM

The problem is that the lawyers for the NFLPA want to take this to the courts and are doing everything they can to subvert the process and convince enough player reps that they could make more in the long run by taking this to court. And, of course, at the same time, they will be making a big name for themselves. The negotiating team from both sides have said the deal was done and ready for a vote. The CBA was made based on the fact that all legal suits would be dropped. Then, when it got back to the lawyers, they stirred up the pot with the players by saying the CBA did not cover the lawsuits when their negotiators negotiated that away in the closed room. This is the deal, vote on it, if the NFLPA doesn’t pass it, then negotiations will start anew and at that time it is time for the owners to open the doors and those players who wish to drop the lawsuit and play can play, those who are holding out for a later pay day from the courts, can sit on the sideline, make no money and wait for the check in the mail. Good luck with that. If a couple greedy players want to ruin it for everyone, then so be it, but football should go on without them and teach them that time waits for no one.

19. mook68 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:49 AM

Yes. It would be devastating to be forced to accept the franchise tag. Those guys should be compensated for all of the heartache they have had to endure in making 10-15 million for one year.

20. purpleman527 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:50 AM

“I’m not into the prediction business and I’m not about to get into details, but their side knows what our deal is and, again, we know where they stand.”
    ——————————————–
    Well, that sounds encouraging.

In theory, we are on the cusp of a new deal based on “insiders” wild ass guesses (WAGS). But the guy who is in on the negotiations won’t say anything.

I wonder if De Smith is warming up his Finger?

21. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 21, 2011 11:51 AM

Terrence Cody gets two votes because of how huge he is… lol

22. oarangecrush says: Jul 21, 2011 11:52 AM

These guys need to hammer this out and skip lunch and dinner till it’s done! He’ll I skip lunch and dinner with only 15 employees counting on me and they also have fans! At least I think I’m still a fan. Hockey is looking pretty good again!

23. firethorn1001 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:52 AM

‘Wouldn’t you feel that you should get something to settle your lawsuits, especially if the owners did not get you to agree up front that their offer of terms was explicitly contingent upon you dropping your legal claims? Be honest.’

Someone had to be on the lawsuit and I took the 10 just to be a mix of people representing various interests (high profile, near retirement, rookies) that decided to bring a lawsuit on behalf of the other 1,900. Unfortunately now it seems those people are wanting to cut their own little side deal.

I’m sure if the other 1890 people thought they could get a little sweeter deal, they would have put their names on the lawsuit too.

24. easyeddie says: Jul 21, 2011 11:53 AM

Rhode Island Patriots Fan says:
    ………”BOTH “parents” need to push just a little harder to make it happen.”
    ————————————–

Sorry but Mom Goodell and Pa D-Smith can’t push much at all right now as Uncle Jeff Kessler is holding this up on behalf of the two brats V-Jax and Mankins.

25. jetsfan1234 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:57 AM

echoplex89 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:40 AM

how much is a “majority” of 1,900?

—————-

951!

26. m2karateman says: Jul 21, 2011 12:01 PM

Rhode Island Patriots Fan says:
    Jul 21, 2011 11:21 AM

Unlike many, I respect what the players are doing here……….
    ———————————————————-

First off, the players are asking for money that they originally agreed they would not be entitled to via the previous CBA. So the fact is, they shouldn’t get something to settle their lawsuits, since now it is no longer about the league, but is instead about themselves. Unless they are fighting for every single player, the answer is NO. If they filed this lawsuit to get a new CBA forced, then their mission is accomplished and the suit should be dropped once their representative tells them the CBA is good.

That is why the folks on here and across the country don’t respect the players. It has gone beyond solidarity, and is now looking like individuality.

27. sj39 says: Jul 21, 2011 12:02 PM

Every time I see a picture of those two I feel like I need a shower.

28. tombradyswig says: Jul 21, 2011 12:10 PM

Great!!! Maybe Irsay can sing us a song about it!

29. tommyf15 says: Jul 21, 2011 12:11 PM

Kaz says:
    Jul 21, 2011 11:44 AM
    echoplex89 says:
    Jul 21, 2011 11:40 AM
    how much is a “majority” of 1,900?
    ___

The Owners Union can sign a new agreement without the suit being dropped. If they choose not to, hold them accountable for making that choice.

30. tommyf15 says: Jul 21, 2011 12:18 PM

m2karateman says:

If it’s so simple and so cut and dry, why are the owners insisting the suit be dropped?

I seriously doubt there’s anything in the previous CBA that says “the players aren’t entitled to any damages from a future anti-trust suit”.

31. fballguy says: Jul 21, 2011 12:21 PM

Everything the owners say has an optimistic tone…everything from the players has a pessimistic tone.

Screw the NFLPA*….Go get new players. Let Mankins and Jackson earn 100K in the CFL.

32. glac1 says: Jul 21, 2011 12:24 PM

Roger… get up and tell the NFLPA that they can take it or leave it, you have to know by 5pm today and walk out. Quit playing the union’s game. They have nobody but their leaders and league darlings at heart. They could care less about everyone else.

33. rooneyruleblues says: Jul 21, 2011 12:34 PM

The players made Goodell their bitch. The man lost much of his luster this offseason and respect. The players now have more power now then they ever had.

People need to realize that there are 4 owners in this game that control it. The rest have very little effect.

34. moochzilla says: Jul 21, 2011 1:05 PM

Goodell will be the ONLY one to suffer any lasting damage.

Not any of the owners.

Not any of the players.

He, sadly, owns this lockout.

35. tommyf15 says: Jul 21, 2011 1:07 PM

glac1 says:

I like how Goodell is being addressedas if he’s actually logged onto this site, reading it, hoping to get some sage advice from one of the posters here.