More words of wisdom from Jim Irsay

110524854_display_image Getty Images

Before calling it a night, I saw something on Twitter that seemed to capture the current attitude of most NFL fans.

Colts owner Jim Irsay, who has been known to quote a song lyric or two (or 1,000), posted these time-honored words from Lennon and McCartney:  “Life is very short..and there’s no time..4 fussing n fighting my friends…we can work it out!

It’s an important point that both sides need to keep in mind as the clock is striking twelve and cash-filled chariots threaten to start turning into pumpkins.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
27 Responses to “More words of wisdom from Jim Irsay”
  1. tomservo24 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:28 AM

Words even more powerful seeing how Robert Kraft’s wife just died. I’m sure he would have much rather spent more time with her during the last few months than negotiating this CBA.

2. august1969 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:28 AM

what a tool

3. gbsparks says: Jul 21, 2011 7:29 AM

How much is the billionaire Irsay subsidized by the citizens of Indianapolis?

4. battle23 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:30 AM

Yea well Irsay is a little late to the party it seems.. he shoulda preached that quote 3 months ago..

5. footballfanatic3431 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:31 AM

“Greed will consume us all”

6. birdcrazy911 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:31 AM

whatever d-bag, maybe if both sides started on this path March 12th we all would not be in this position now. This has nothing to do with football, it is all about trying to find a way to save their money. I understand this is a business, but most business works year round to protect it’s bottom line not when your up against a wall. The fans the ones that pay for all of your bills/salaries are the ones that you should be concerned about yet I have heard nobody say we understand the fans frustration, piss off both sides.

7. bobbyhoying says: Jul 21, 2011 7:36 AM

Would life without the NFL really be so bad?

8. jeffro33 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:38 AM

lol @ Jim Irsay…

Unfortunately the players have yet to “come and see it your way”….

9. phinheads says: Jul 21, 2011 7:39 AM

Sounds like somebody was having a few wobbly pops when that was twitted out

10. jersey73 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:41 AM

I am one of these people who ascribed blame basically 50/50 to owners and players.

However, we were moving full-steam toward an agreement up until Monday it seems with the owners finally acting in good faith. THEN…the breaks were put on by players (under advisement, so it seems, by the attorneys.)

Some of the quotes from players the last couple of days have pissed me off as a fan. Especially Mawae yesterday. His blasé attitude when he spoke to the media of, “Well, we’re not on any deadline or time constraint” all the while looking bored with it, annoyed the heck out of me.

Sign the darn deal already and stop trying to make changes at the last minute. To quote Ben Franklin at the Constitutional Convention on why the Constitution should be ratified: “I CONFESS that I do not entirely approve of this Constitution at present; but, sir, I am not sure I shall never approve of it…Thus I consent, sir, to this Constitution, because I expect no better, and because I am not sure that it is not the best.”

11. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 21, 2011 7:45 AM

It would appear to me that the owners and the important people on the players side have worked this out and that a few selfish bum-holes are holding things up. I think he should get together with the rest of the owners and have a blackball pledge of Jackson and Mankins.

12. p31squared says: Jul 21, 2011 7:46 AM

There’s no cooler owner in pro sports, except maybe Mark Cuban.

13. lostsok says: Jul 21, 2011 7:49 AM

“Money doesn’t talk…it swears.” ~~ Bob Dylan

14. lostsok says: Jul 21, 2011 7:52 AM

“Money…It’s a gas
    Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash;
    New car, caviar, four star daydream
    Think I’ll buy me a football team” ~~Pink Floyd

15. vbe2 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:59 AM

Words of wisdom? Words of crap. The guy’s an idiot. Stop kissing his ass.

16. kevinfromphilly says: Jul 21, 2011 8:04 AM

Well, that song also said:

“Think of what you’re saying.
    You can get it wrong and still you think that it’s all right.
    Think of what I’m saying,
    We can work it out and get it straight, or say good night.”

I always interpreted these lines as – hey, agree with me or I’m outta here. Not exactly “All You Need is Love”.

17. tomsd1 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:47 AM

Show me the damn money.

18. moochzilla says: Jul 21, 2011 8:58 AM

No time for fighting. Yep, why fight for stuff when you can just inherit it!

Seriously, this man can keep his life lessons to himself.

Seems like kind of a weirdo.

19. packers291 says: Jul 21, 2011 9:31 AM

gbsparks says:
    Jul 21, 2011 7:29 AM
    How much is the billionaire Irsay subsidized by the citizens of Indianapolis?

_______________________

Get your facts straight. He pays more taxes than any of the citizens you are referring to, so god forbid some come back his way.

Not to mention he finances a team that millions of people love and enjoy watching.

20. fballguy says: Jul 21, 2011 9:55 AM

Just wondering….When Peyton Manning fades away, will the Indianapolis Colts fade with him?

Didn’t think so.

21. joetoronto says: Jul 21, 2011 9:58 AM

Update:

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now, it looks as though they’re here to stay.

22. birdcrazy911 says: Jul 21, 2011 10:01 AM

packers291: check this out; http://advanceindiana.blogspot.com/2011/06/irsay-to-make-10-15-million-from-big.html

This is another example of why taxpayers must demand that the Capital Improvement Board re-negotiate its lease with the billionaire Irsay. It is utterly criminal that this man can pile up huge profits from the efforts of the CIB and ICVA to win these events for the City, while he doesn’t contribute one dime to the maintenance and operating costs on Lucas Oil Stadium built entirely with our tax dollars. Our elected officials should be imprisoned for allowing this fleecing of the taxpayers to take place. We pay an exorbitant tax every time we buy food and drink in this damn town to fund these operations, while this selfish man who has never had to work a day in his life piles up a massive fortune for himself. Meanwhile, the taxpayers are struggling to make ends meet during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression that has no end in sight. The so-called civic leaders celebrating the landing of the Big Ten championship all receive tickets, food and drinks to all of the events, while you and I have to dig deep into our pockets to attend any events at these publicly-financed facilities. They should all be holding their heads in shame at the sleazy arrangement they’ve brokered with this billionaire. When will someone say enough is enough?

23. birdcrazy911 says: Jul 21, 2011 10:03 AM

Irsay To Make $10-$15 Million From Big Ten Championship Without Expending A Dime
    Indianapolis city leaders have been gloating over news that the City of Indianapolis will play host to the Big Ten football championship over the next five years, but it’s Colts’ owner Jim Irsay who should be gloating. He stands to make $10-$15 million conservatively from the revenues the event will generate for Lucas Oil Stadium even though he won’t lay out a dime of his own money to help put on the event.

24. packers291 says: Jul 21, 2011 10:53 AM

When it comes to football owners shouldering more of the costs of stadiums, I think we could all superficially agree that they “should” be doing so.

But when you consider the leverage they have with the city (i.e. the owner can pack up and move his team elsewhere, taking with him all of the economic boosting that comes with hosting an NFL team in your city), the city has no choice but to make concessions to the owner in terms of helping out.

Granted, the city financers are no idoits. (They may be fools, I mean, its government). They won’t give more help than they know they will receive in the big picture through increased economic activity from hosting the team.

I’m not saying its a win for average individual taxpayers, as for most of us it probably isn’t. But in the eyes of the decision makers (the city and Irsay), its a mutually beneficial deal.

I cringe at the 9% sales tax here in the city, too.

25. hgfrombc2 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:09 AM

MORE words of wisdom?
    Where the hell was I when he spoke his FIRST words of wisdom?

26. hobartbaker says: Jul 21, 2011 11:46 AM

“words of wisdom”, “the Beatles”, and “Jim Irsay” should never be used in the same sentence. It may take decades for “words of wisdom” to recover it’s reputation.

27. time2speakup says: Jul 21, 2011 12:07 PM

“For the love of money, people would…” said the O Jays. And they went on to say us humans would do ANYTHING for money. Interesting how this entire mess did not even approach seriousness until getting bit in the butt financially took center stage. A scary number of folks will not, “….pass through the eye of a needle…”