Owners’ vote expected by 5:30

Getty Images

Despite some unforeseen roadblocks, the NFL owners are still expecting to do today what they’ve been planning to do for weeks: Vote on a new labor deal by the end of their Thursday meeting.

ESPN is reporting that the vote is expected to take place some time between 3:30 and 5:30 p.m. Eastern time today at the owners’ meeting in Atlanta. A vote will need to pass by three-fourths majority, and it is expected that at least 24 of the 32 owners will vote yes.

Then it would be the players’ turn. A majority of the nearly 2,000 active players would have to vote yes for the players to accept the deal.

NFLPA* Executive Director DeMaurice Smith has scheduled a conference call for 8 p.m., although it’s not clear whether a vote will actually be taken.

53 responses to “Owners’ vote expected by 5:30

1. I’m voting for the latter. The same as, ” The players will vote on wednesday” We see how that worked out!

I want FOOTBALL, DARN IT!

2. If the owners ratify this deal today and it takes the *NFLPA a couple of weeks to get their act together, it will really look bad on the players. Hopefully, both will ratify it today.

I think maybe by not ratifying the deal, the players may be trying to “Stick it to the man”.

3. trbowman says:
    Jul 21, 2011 1:16 PM

“Owners will vote in favor of it, with maybe one or two holdouts.

Players will whine and screw it up, though.”

Its a forgone conclusion that Paul Brown will be against it.

4. Do people really think the majority of the players won’t pass it?

Maybe I’m naive here, but I would bet most of the players haven’t even been paying attention to what’s going on with the lockout… They probably are going to say “Yes, I want to play,” without even listening to what the CBA entails.

5. Qualifying statement: Im a Bills fan

My Guess: Ralph Wilson turns this down because hes just not sure how to handle the “Salary Floor”

6. To be fair I have new found respect for the owners, they seem at least to be as good as their word on this issue which can’t be said of the players. Reading between the lines this is becoming clearer.

7. All I know is, if this deal gets done tonight, I see a lot of “sick” days being used tomorrow… lol

8. The true travesty will be that this will pass by the owners today, but the players will hide behind the fact that it takes time (weeks) to get a majority of the players together to vote, thus drastically shortening their hated training camp but preserving most, if not all, of the preseason.

Just the players’ way of getting in one last jab at the owners. If that is what they want, they should have the balls to come out & say it rather than hiding behind perceived administrative complications.

9. At least one side appears to be competent and on the ball with this. Meanwhile the players side appears to be bumbling around with their heads cut off.

10. The players will probably screw it up. For some reason, they feel they should earn more than the person who invested a Billions dollars into the team.
    I bet that any, and I mean every & any player who owns a business, makes sure they earn well more than the highest level employee.

Hypocrites, every last stinking one of them.

11. Genius move by the owners. If they agree to a new CBA and the players are the only ones holding this thing up, the public perception of the NFLPA will be horrible and the pressure will begin to build.

12. Deal which guarantees football can continue = GOOD.

Deal which guarantees government can continue spending liking drunken teenage girls with Daddy’s (taxpayers’) already maxed out credit card = BAD.

13. “Prediction: Owners. 31 -1 with Mike Brown of Cincy as the no.”

I’m going to say 30-2 adding Ralph Wilson to the minority. Why will he vote no?

Simply because he didn’t understand it.

14. goodandfast says: Jul 21, 2011 1:19 PM

Its a forgone conclusion that Paul Brown will be against it.

——————————————————

It’s a foregone conclusion that Paul Brown has been dead for – I think – 20 years, now? 😉

His son however….yeah.

15. Players should ask for a 30 day moratorium on drug testing. We all know that more than a few guys smoked a lot of pot during the lockout.

16. I predict a 26-6 approval vote from the owners with the opposing owners being:

Ralph Wilson-Bills
    Jerry Richardson-Panthers
    Mike Brown-Bengals
    Wayne Weaver-Jaguars
    Clark Hunt-Chiefs
    Alex Spanos-Chargers

17. what is with all the misinformed posters on here? this theory of the players waiting a couple weeks to try and “stick it to the man” makes no sense. You all understand the fact that the $200 million that would be lost for every week of the preseason lost is comprised of $104 million in the owners pockets and $96 million in the players??

I’m sorry but $96 million to the players is way more important than $104 million to the owners…the only proverbial “man” they would be sticking it to is themselves.

18. so when the owners vote yes, the players can get together on their conference call and discuss how they really have the owners by the balls now? It’s Polish for “leverage.”

19. owners are not stupid, they will vote yes, and then it looks like it is 100% of the players faults if there is no football.

I also think 31 owners will vote yes, and one will abstain.

20. Remember during the first game of last season, all the players raised their index finger into the air, representing their solidarity to the owners??

The fans should all do the same thing during the first game of the 2011 season….to remind everyone of the importance and dependency on the fans money they all are.

Perhaps though someone could think of a different finger to use instead of the index finger.

LOL

21. To sum up all labor related comments from the last few months,

“I love the owners, they care about the fans and they always tell the truth. They and only they, are responsible for their teams being profitable (but if they aren’t profitable enough, it must be the players fault so they should make up the shortfall).

The players decertified and went to the courts! How dare they exercise their rights as Americans?! They didn’t negotiate when the NFL made the fairest offer ever (I have no idea what it was but it must be super fair because the NFL said so). The players take no risks whatsoever (other than, you know, maybe getting crippled) and should be paid minimum wage because they are more talented than me. I would play this game for free out of pride for my team (unless I saw someone like Ray Lewis coming for me, I could get crippled being hit by that).

They are also all criminals (apart from those that aren’t but we never hear about them so they don’t count). I wish they were all like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees… they did what!? I always hated those two.”

22. I dont care, college football will never go on strike or lockout

Plus the people who pay for football are tea party patriots anyway

Its funny how every team owner is a conservative business owner, they take the risk of making a profit or losing money. i am surprised that the left-wing moonbats haven’t screamed to high heaven (wait liberals dont have a religion other than government) well they scream and pout that “it isn’t fair that liberal communists are not represented in NFL team ownership”

23. moochzilla says:
    Jul 21, 2011 1:52 PM
    Is there anyone that knows less about business than Tea Baggers?

——————————————————–

Apparently most NFL players……

24. moochzilla says:
    Jul 21, 2011 1:52 PM
    Is there anyone that knows less about business than Tea Baggers?
    ________________________________

Simple answer:

(politicians)

25. mrjackson206 says:
    Jul 21, 2011 1:51 PM
    I predict a 26-6 approval vote from the owners with the opposing owners being:

Ralph Wilson-Bills
    Jerry Richardson-Panthers
    Mike Brown-Bengals
    Wayne Weaver-Jaguars
    Clark Hunt-Chiefs
    Alex Spanos-Chargers

===================================

Agree with all that except the one owner that has been involved in this process since day 1. Jerry Richardson is a great owner and clearly has the best intrest of the league at heart. Anybody wanna revisit the comments he made to the players now? He looks light years ahead of the rest of us. He knew it would play out this way.

26. suhnami says:
    Jul 21, 2011 1:51 PM

——————————–
    Now throw into the equation there are only a few owners to divide that $104M and almost 2000 players to divide that $96M. So I would not agree with your theory in that the players have more to lose.

27. what is with all the misinformed posters on here? this theory of the players waiting a couple weeks to try and “stick it to the man” makes no sense. You all understand the fact that the $200 million that would be lost for every week of the preseason lost is comprised of $104 million in the owners pockets and $96 million in the players??

——————————–

—————————————

If you think that 104 million divided among 32 owners…so roughly 3 million per owner is even a remotely relevant amount of money to a group of BILLIONAIRES than you obviously have no idea of the concept of money.

To the owners missing out on 3 million/week won’t even lay a dent into their pocket books. But when over 20% of the leagues players live “paycheck-to-paycheck” I think its a fairly safe assessment to say that losing out on nearly $100 million per week effects them as a whole much greater.

You fail at putting these dollar values into perspective. Again to my point another case of “misinformed posters”

28. “Good on the NFL for this rule. They have needed it for a LONG time. This way cheap owners get the boot! Im looking at you Ralphie!”

================================

You don’t know what you’re saying. This CBA is going to result in NFL teams closing down operations. Perhaps it’s what needs to happen, people can argue that back and forth forever. But the botom line is that a high salary floor is going to make owning a franchise unprofitable for several small market teams. Those owners will choose to go out of business instead of losing millions annually.

Expect the league to shrink to 26 or 27 teams in the next few years.

29. suhnami says:
    Jul 21, 2011 2:43 PM
    —————————————–
    Right!!! I’m uninformed? Really? So take your $96M and divide that by the 2000 players and you get 48,000. And that is only if it is split evenly which we all know, it’s not.

By the way, what is the lowest salary a player in the NFL makes? To put it in perspective the minimum salary in 2009 was $310,000. Are you telling me that person lives “paycheck to paycheck”? Really? I’m the uninformed poster?

If you want to put things in perspective put ALL the numbers in perspective (not just a minor portion of it that may justify your point). The only poster looking like they are uninformed is you

30. I think my boy Bud Adams is about ready to give everybody the finger. Owners and players. He’ll also be quoted as saying, “Here’s a new asterisk that everyone can use!”

31. dryzzt23 says:
    Jul 21, 2011 2:10 PM
    I dont care, college football will never go on strike or lockout

Plus the people who pay for football are tea party patriots anyway

________________________________
    I think you would be surprised at how many NFL owners are liberals/democrats.

32. deadeye, I agree 100%

This whole things seems like a mess aside from the bigtime owners (Jones, Snyder, Kraft, and the big market guys).

Seems like they sold out their ‘have not’ brethren when the going got tough in the negotiating room.

That’s why I see it as a win for the players. No one on that end will be asked to make a whole lot of sacrifices to that extent.

But the details remain unknown, so we’ll see.