Source: NFLPA* remains optimistic a deal can be reached

Jeff Pash AP

Despite a pair of sphincter-tightening e-mails that are making the rounds in the wake of the NFL’s decision to agree . . . with itself regarding a new labor deal, which has sparked a potential pissing match between the players and the owners, a high-ranking NFLPA* official expressed optimism that the situation will be resolved.

Meanwhile, it would be wise for the NFL to not let general counsel Jeff Pash (pictured) talk publicly until this matter is signed, sealed, and delivered.  The players don’t like Pash, and even if he’s saying exactly what the players need to hear, they don’t want to hear it from him.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
47 Responses to “Source: NFLPA* remains optimistic a deal can be reached”
  1. jimr10 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:20 PM

The players seem fairly determined to tell the owner to f-off.

2. cincinnasti says: Jul 21, 2011 8:20 PM

The players should start putting pressure on De Smith.. Like immediately..

3. broncobeta says: Jul 21, 2011 8:21 PM

When will this roller coaster end?

4. narutofan10 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:22 PM

like a bunch of teens i used to be behind the nflpa but they are nothing but greedy

5. daburgher says: Jul 21, 2011 8:22 PM

After watching Jeff Pash speak, I am not sure why he has anything to do w/ the NFL… I feel the same about De Smith..

6. brownsfn says: Jul 21, 2011 8:23 PM

screw it…cancel the season and let these d bags suffer…I’m over this crap…i officially hate the nflpa and the players it represents…

7. goawayeverybody says: Jul 21, 2011 8:24 PM

If a deal isn’t reached soon, I want all this nonsense to end. Bring on the scrubs because one thing stands clear: Either the players or the people who represent them have not been acting in good faith. I was firmly on the players’ side, but now it seems as though they have been lying all this time.

So I say, bring on the scrubs. I want to watch some football. And I’m tired of all the prima donnas like Chester Pitts trying to throw cold water on everything. Kick out all the “stars” and let people who are truly hungry for it play.

8. whatsafairway says: Jul 21, 2011 8:24 PM

It’s on, it’s off!

It’s on, it’s off!

It’s on, it’s off.

I must be a sadomasochist to keep reading this site.

9. msclemons67 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:24 PM

Look at the list of player reps. A large number of them are at the end of their careers or in danger of being replaced this year. A short training camp would make it easier for them to keep their jobs for one more year.

10. footballfanatic3431 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:24 PM

Remember #LetUsPlay?

#WhatAJoke

11. echoplex89 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:25 PM

WTF Flioro!

I’m about to have a heart attack. One post I feel awful, the next I feel great.

What gives?

12. ndingeldein says: Jul 21, 2011 8:25 PM

I think the owners have already reached a deal.

13. jonv1127 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:26 PM

Players deserve garbage…time to get the UFL ready

14. push4souls says: Jul 21, 2011 8:26 PM

I am a HUGE NFL fan. If this does not go down due to the NFLPA, I swear I will boycott the NFL until this group of players are out of the league.
    I’ll focus my attention on MLB.

This has been enough of a strain on my nervous system.

15. iamthorny says: Jul 21, 2011 8:27 PM

The PFT collective EKG meter must really be something over this last hour, or so.

…and somewhere Al Davis sits blissfully unaware of the whole ordeal. He wouldn’t have voted, even if he had known about the lockout. The NFL wasn’t going to agree to his free daily facelift demands.

16. nola4eva says: Jul 21, 2011 8:27 PM

Y’all know what???

Somebody needs a good ASS whuppin’! I wouldn’t be surprised of all other fans feel like beating all their asses…and yes I said ASSES on this site… KISS MY ASS! I’M PISSED…just like every other fan is!

17. dapell says: Jul 21, 2011 8:28 PM

The players could have voted Wednesday. They didn’t. They could have voted this morning. They didn’t.

Now the NFL votes on and sends them the offer they collectively worked on, and De Smith pulls this? The players are scuzzy in all this, plain and simple. They have been since Day1 with their sham of a lockout. I don’t see how anyone can support them.

18. textaz03 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:28 PM

regardless, the ball is in the Players court now. Unless they want to look like the jack@$$ and be the ones responsible for postponing the season because they are being even more greedy. It’s time for the them to shut up and put pen to paper and say yes, we will agree to this!

19. petedutcher says: Jul 21, 2011 8:28 PM

Vincent Jackson is the one causing the problem right now. All the other plaintiffs are happy with the deal.

20. thirstymofo says: Jul 21, 2011 8:28 PM

Screw the NFL…I will just go to the NBA……..DOH!

21. macjacmccoy says: Jul 21, 2011 8:28 PM

“Meanwhile, it would be wise for the NFL to not let general counsel Jeff Pash (pictured) talk publicly until this matter is signed, sealed, and delivered. The players don’t like Pash, and even if he’s saying exactly what the players need to hear, they don’t want to hear it from him.”

Yea that seems like a good idea. I doubt his little joke with Batterman about if you even except that the union could decerify went over well with any of the players. I have no stake in this I wanted to smack that dumb smirk off his face. I can only imagine what the players want to do after having to listen to this wiesel for the last 100+ days.

22. bmac187 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:29 PM

THEY CAN’T USE REPLACEMENT PLAYERS YOU MORONS!!!!!!

23. cardiaccats2834 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:29 PM

I completely trust Jerry Richardson (Panthers owner who is huge in the negotiations), and Sal Paolantonio just reported that he asked Richardson about it off camera and Richardson was, “baffled.”

Is it D.Smith or the stupid lawyer?!?

I WANT FOOTBALL!!!

24. zoxitic says: Jul 21, 2011 8:29 PM

Screw the nfl. WNBA fantasy draft right around the corner.

25. pigskinporker says: Jul 21, 2011 8:29 PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

“That said, the belief within the NFLPA* is that the owners shouldn’t have done what they did.

Thats been the problem all along with the players, everyone tells them what they need to hear. God forbid someone upset the poor, poor players. They should be handled with kid gloves right! F*&^ that. This is exactly what should have happened!

26. rugdog100 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:30 PM

I REPEAT… The owners should just start fresh. Screw the NFLPA*************************** and start over. The players can use their “part-time” college education in nothing and join the American workforce. Note to players: The economy sucks, so you’re probably looking at Mc Donalds or WalMart. Try buying bling bling on minimum wage.

27. bmwaldrop says: Jul 21, 2011 8:30 PM

I was a HUGE baseball fan up until the 95 (?) strike. Since then, I watched maybe a dozen games on TV and haven’t watched a game in person or bought any apparel.

With College Football on some Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, I think I can make it without the NFL. Sure, the NFL won’t miss my money. But they better hope there aren’t more fans like me.

28. pftfollower says: Jul 21, 2011 8:30 PM

can someone please kidnap kessler and lock him in a cabin somewhere?

29. killxswitch says: Jul 21, 2011 8:31 PM

Am I understanding this right that the owners sent a proposal that was different than what the players negotiated with them? So both sides are now negotiating in incredibly bad faith? Screw them both. Ugh.

30. crussh007 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:31 PM

If this deal falls apart, I would love for owners to bring in the replacement players.

31. phillyforlife says: Jul 21, 2011 8:33 PM

I just start watching collage at least they want to play.

32. Little Earthquake says: Jul 21, 2011 8:37 PM

Stop it. Just stop it OKAY? I can’t take it anymore…

33. easyeddie says: Jul 21, 2011 8:39 PM

Why should anyone give a crap what the players think or how the feel any more?They’re living their dreams and being compensated quite well for it and yet they don’t seem to smart enough to realize how they’re ruining it for themselves.
    “Optimistic”, my ass. You don’t deserve the support of the fans — you know, the one’s who make it possible to have the lives that you do.

34. nce11 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:39 PM

People’s reading comprehension needs to improve. This one isn’t on the players, the owners ratified an agreement that had terms they hadn’t negotiated with the players. A simple example of this would be I agree to see you an apple for 2 dollars and when you give me a five dollar bill I only give you a dollar in change.

35. steeltownpride says: Jul 21, 2011 8:41 PM

It was smart for the owners to pass the deal and put pressure on the players now . That way they come out looking alot better eventhough they are the ones who locked out the players . BRILLIANT and shows why they make the money .

36. realitypolice says: Jul 21, 2011 8:41 PM

dapell says:
    Jul 21, 2011 8:28 PM

===================
    Guess you haven’t read many of the other articles on here.

The “agreement” the owners approved included significant items that were never collectively bargained.

It was a last second maneuver to try and get something extra at the last second while appearing to be the party to most want a deal because they ratified the “agreement” first.

Never mind that it wasn’t the agreement they had worked out with the players.

37. raiduhdude says: Jul 21, 2011 8:41 PM

NFL is a joke.

38. flipadelphia says: Jul 21, 2011 8:43 PM

Someone somewhere up at the top of the *NFLPA has no idea what they’re doing, that’s for sure.

De Smith was on the phone with Goodell for what, 2 hours? Now he comes out and says that there was no deal.

Just what has been going on? What have you been talking about for months? What did you talk about for the past 2 hours? Someone needs to answer. We need to get these guys in the same place at the same time and ask them both the same questions.

39. Tarkus says: Jul 21, 2011 8:44 PM

Please actually read the reports. What the NFL voted on today was not negotiated with the players. It was their own proposal, and the players hadn’t even seen it yet.

40. noqrtrgvn says: Jul 21, 2011 8:46 PM

I am SO over my love of the NFL. When the MLB players went on strike in ’94 I swore that I’d never spend another moment of my time watching/caring about anything MLB related. I have now reached that point with this management vs labor “cluster f#@k”. A pox on both of their houses. Can’t wait for hockey season.

41. larryfinfan says: Jul 21, 2011 8:52 PM

this question of whether or not the players should vote is crazy…the owners wouldn’t ‘ratify’ a deal unless the respective councils have agreed upon a deal ?? The NFLPA is acting very irresponsibly as representatives of the players. At this point, they should be going to the players and saying…”Hey, this is what we’ve been working on for the last 2 yrs and we recommend that you ratify it… If they suddenly come up with more issues, what does that say about De Smith & co. as negotiators for their players ?? I certainly don’t understand the problem here. The responsibility of the reps is now to sell the contract on the floor, not suddenly take on more issues that should have already been addressed.

The terms and procedures of re-shamification, er I mean re-certification of the NFLPA should be in place…shame on you again, De Smith if it’s not…

42. larryfinfan says: Jul 21, 2011 9:03 PM

“nce11
    Jul 21, 2011 8:39 PM

The owners are trying to slip a last second change under the players noses. I bet all of the people complaining about the players taking the time to read the agreement before signing it feel a little silly right now.”

Where’d you get this info ?? What have they been negotiating over the last 2 yrs if not the deal that is on the table at this point ? What, specifically, is in this agreement that the NFLPA hasn’t been involved in ?? My reading comprehension is fine…I see irresponsible leadership by De Smith if, there is in fact, things in this ‘agreement’ that have not been negotiated. So tell us ? Where’s the disconnect ??

How inept is De Smith if he hasn’t been keeping his constiuents updated ??

43. realitypolice says: Jul 21, 2011 9:04 PM

What a bunch of hypocrites you all are.

Are you telling me that if you had a handshake agreement on a new contract with your boss, but the contract he actually sent you to sign had a bunch of stuff in it you had never even discussed, you would sign it?

If you say yes, you are either a liar or an idiot.

The players tried their last second power play, and it failed. Now the owners are trying their last second power play, and it will fail too.

No worries, the players will get an acceptable contract that they will ratify shortly.

44. lostsok says: Jul 21, 2011 9:41 PM

“rugdog100 says: Try buying bling bling on minimum wage.”

Dude…1995 called…it’s wants its slang back!

45. andrewfbrowne says: Jul 21, 2011 10:25 PM

It is hard to say who is telling the truth here. It is all hearsay at best.

It could be a ploy by the players to say that owners put things in there to hold up the process and force them to cancel games to teach them a lesson, or the owners totally added in things after the fact to put the try to catch the players napping. If the players did that they are scum. It the owners did that they are scum.

46. nce11 says: Jul 21, 2011 11:30 PM

larryfinfan says:
    Jul 21, 2011 9:03 PM

…What have they been negotiating over the last 2 yrs if not the deal that is on the table at this point ?…

That’s the whole point. What the players are claiming is that the deal they’ve been working on isn’t the deal the owners actaully signed and sent to the players.

47. bjb2865 says: Jul 22, 2011 12:52 AM