Still plenty of optimism for votes today

Roger Goodell, DeMaurice Smith, AP

You could get whiplash following the news of the last 24 hours in the NFL lockout, with alternating reports that today is the day it all comes to an end, or that it could be two full weeks.

But while it would be easy to get discouraged by the fact that there’s so much uncertainty heading into what was advertised as the day the lockout ends, there’s still plenty of optimism that today really will be the day the lockout ends.

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reported that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has at least the 24 votes he needs from the owners to get a deal done. And Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that NFLPA sources sound upbeat.

So pessimism from Chester Pitts aside, a lot of people on both sides still seem to think today is the day that both sides approve a new agreement. Let’s hope that optimism doesn’t dissipate over the next 12 hours.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
31 Responses to “Still plenty of optimism for votes today”
  1. Patriot42 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:54 AM

Do you so called experts have a wager going as to when this thing is over? I think the players are in no great urgency to get this thing signed as much as the talking heads are. It makes you experts look foolish the longer it takes.

2. Kaz says: Jul 21, 2011 7:56 AM

That optimism is going to leave a lot of people upset today. Why don’t we stop acting like it’s “almost” over, and just wait till it officially is. If people are still “optimistic” after all the ups and downs of the past month, then I don’t know what else to tell them.

3. jnbnet says: Jul 21, 2011 7:58 AM

Well….the owners should vote for it and put the pressure on the players. I hope that dickhead Pitts doesn’t sway the rest of his team to hold out.

We have to find a way to sue Mankins and Jackson for holding up the whole process.

4. typhilly21 says: Jul 21, 2011 7:59 AM

Pitts just doesn’t want to go to training camp on time. prob not in shape at all, lazy bum.

5. grpatriot says: Jul 21, 2011 8:06 AM

Thank the Maker for the legal system…essentialy the deal is done, except for the lawsuits.
    Get yours, hey you know I’m a get mines!

6. wtfru2 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:07 AM

Vegas has it at even odds for passing. Do you lucky or are you going to bet on Pitts/

7. lion95 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:13 AM

It is time for the owners to put the hammer down on these d-bags (NFLPA). They should tell the NFLPA that if they don’t approve the deal that they freaking agreed to by midnight tonight then week 1 of the preseason will be cancelled. Therefore, 5% (1 week of 20 preseason and regular season) will be knocked of the salary cap. So the salary cap will become $114 million instead of $120 million. I don’t want to hear the NFLPA’s whining. How many weeks did they negotiate on 3 day work weeks (Tues, Wed, Thurs) and worked 6 hour days. This BS has got to end today. Once the owners approve the deal today and the players haven’t approved, the players are going to look like the complete greedy, d-bags that they are.

8. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 21, 2011 8:20 AM

I guarantee the owners approve it today. They have to be loving this sudden PR change in their favor. I don’t see how they can not seize on the opportunity.

9. andyreidisfat says: Jul 21, 2011 8:24 AM

This will get done today or tommorow. Any thing being said to make it sound like a deal will not be done is to make people not respond with “well it took ya long enough” but instead with a “thank god cuz it ould have been longer” Thats all.

Anything being said about a longer wait is just good PR. I have faith in Sal Pal and Mort who are usally right on when it comes to the business of the NFL so i am going to trust them.

10. 8man says: Jul 21, 2011 8:29 AM

Yawn.

Wake me when they kickoff a game that counts in the standings.

11. tehowdruid says: Jul 21, 2011 8:29 AM

It’s time to end this nonsense

12. bobbyyyd says: Jul 21, 2011 8:39 AM

believe it when i see it. I’m sure I will get off work at 10 PM and check PFT just to read another article starting with keep the pink champagne on ice still

13. moochzilla says: Jul 21, 2011 8:44 AM

lion95…that statement tells me you know zero about business and haven’t followed this at all.

The league and owners are clearly desperate to save the pre-season games in full, the players could care less.

So you’d be doing EXACTLY what the players want by canceling it.

Plus, you don’t get that the salary cap is tied to revenues, not the % of games. So you’d lose on that too since the preseason games generate a far lower % of revenue than a regular season game (TV money is all its about).

But at least you’d have put off a settlement by months so that you could have a hissy-fit.

Nice job. Where did you get this brilliant idea? Trump?

14. moochzilla says: Jul 21, 2011 8:48 AM

“WTF is the hold up NFLPA? The owners are ready for football, why the hell aren’t the players?”

Yeah, which is why they locked out the players.

Lesson to be learned by the owners – it’s easy to start a labor battle, hard to end it. The deal will get done.

15. baddegg says: Jul 21, 2011 8:52 AM

Cold water coming in 5, 4, 3, 2…

16. moochzilla says: Jul 21, 2011 8:54 AM

When the players vote, do they need to get 50.1% or 67% like the owners?

Seems to me the bar is low to get over 50%.

17. denverdave3 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:57 AM

The players are employing a negotiating style called “last word” You never accept the other guy’s proposal. You continue to ask for more and more and more as long as he keeps moving in your direction. It doesn’t end until the owners accept the players proposal or make a REAL “take it or leave it stand” . Then the players will ask for one more minor thing like a few Public Relations commercials that tell the public that the players are looking out for the best interest of the fans.

18. goinghamonit128 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:58 AM

Just as much as there was yesterday.

19. ohiodeerhunter says: Jul 21, 2011 9:02 AM

I love football as much as anyone but all of this lockout stuff has rained on my parade. I’m losing interest, there will be college football on Saturdays and I can definately occupy my time on Sundays if there is no NFL. I’m not that desperate and I’m starting not to really care what happens. It’s ashame actually.

20. eaglescouch says: Jul 21, 2011 9:06 AM

So you’re saying today is a critical day in the labor talks?

21. greenbaypeckers says: Jul 21, 2011 9:20 AM

There will be a post by lunch about how much work still needs to be done

22. jimr10 says: Jul 21, 2011 9:28 AM

I am one of the nattering nabobs of negativism. I do not feel it is going to be settled any time soon. The players never intended to get it done by negotiation.

23. geemoney713 says: Jul 21, 2011 9:35 AM

I would obviously be excited to see this crap end, but am I the only one hoping we have to wait just a bit longer so some of those expensive-to-fans preseason games are cancelled?

24. Little Earthquake says: Jul 21, 2011 9:43 AM

Screw it. I’m starting my own league. Who’s in?

25. stanklepoot says: Jul 21, 2011 9:53 AM

lion95 says: Jul 21, 2011 8:13 AM

___________________________
    To begin with, the number of negotiation sessions depends on both sides, not just one. Secondly, it’s not like work wasn’t being done behind the scenes even when the owners and players weren’t meeting face to face. Finally, after opting out of the CBA, the owners waited nearly 2 years before they were willing to begin real negotiations so that they could put the players closer to a deadline and in a worse position before they tried to hammer out the terms of the CBA. Why are so many of you so willing to place sole blame at the feet of the players when the owners started all of this and both sides are equally to blame for the way the negotiations have gone?

26. biist says: Jul 21, 2011 9:56 AM

horse hockey: NFLPA players went to a lockout resolution meeting and a strike! breaks out.

Players had the fan’s goodwill in their hands, threw it on the ground and took a dump on it. It will be hard to remove the festering stink from it even if players realize their PR mistake.

And, the Brady case members now will forever be stained with a big scarlet letter on their jersey–looking at you Brees and Manning. When they put personal enrichment above the others making a mockery of ‘class action’; they dropped their pants and mooned the former and current players. Someone needs to wipe that self-aggrandizing poop-eating grin off Kessler’s communist face.

I think I have lost my appetite for professional football after smelling this delay.

27. 3octaveFart says: Jul 21, 2011 9:59 AM

I wonder how long it will be after this new CBA is ratified that the owners threaten to hold their breath and stamp their feet and decide to toss this one too.

28. southpaw2k says: Jul 21, 2011 10:09 AM

Well of course there’s optimism for the players to vote on the CBA today. After all, the last update we got was news that the lockout could last another two weeks before the CBA is ratified, so there had to be a little glimmer of sunlight to offset the bad news. This is beyond silly. Little bit of hope, followed by a splash of cold water to ruin our dreams, and then more hope, and cold water once again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

29. buzzardpointlookout says: Jul 21, 2011 12:28 PM

lion95 says:
    Jul 21, 2011 8:13 AM

———————————————————

Deep thinkin’ here, I tell ya.

30. CKL says: Jul 21, 2011 1:28 PM

moochzilla says:
    Jul 21, 2011 8:54 AM
    When the players vote, do they need to get 50.1% or 67% like the owners?

Seems to me the bar is low to get over 50%.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    They need 51% of players to approve.
    I just heard Condon say that he doesn’t believe that the 320 mill in lost benefits is holding anything up. I hope he’s right.

31. CKL says: Jul 21, 2011 1:29 PM

Also Lombardi’s phone just rang on NFLN and his ringtone is the Godfather theme. LOL