Mawae says NFLPA* will consider proposal today

-1 AP

With NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith attending funeral services for Myra Kraft, the wife of Patriots owner Robert Kraft, NFLPA* president Kevin Mawae has issued a statement regarding the status of the talk.

“Player leadership is discussing the most recent written proposal with the NFL, which includes a settlement agreement, deal terms and the right process for addressing recertification,” the statement from Mawae reads.   “There will not be any further NFLPA statements today out of respect for the Kraft family while they mourn the loss of Myra Kraft.”

It’s possible that a vote on the proposed deal will come today, but not likely.  NFLPA* leadership remains cautiously optimistic that a deal will be finalized soon.  The key at this point will be for the NFL to respect the players’ chosen method of reconstituting the union.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
89 Responses to “Mawae says NFLPA* will consider proposal today”
  1. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jul 22, 2011 11:14 AM

No sense of urgency at all with these guys.

“Eh we’ll get to it if we have time between tweeting and…. well we’ll get it to it when we can!”

2. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Seconds later, Mawae then smiled and said, “Or maybe we won’t…”

3. Patriot42 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Quit grasping for straws, it ain’t going to happen soon.

4. thephantomstranger says: Jul 22, 2011 11:15 AM

I don’t see how making statements is disrespectful to the Kraft family. They would probably like a statement saying that the vote will take place today.

5. pympdaddi says: Jul 22, 2011 11:16 AM

Get the deal done! All we (fans) have heard over the last YEAR is about how the deal will get done… Git ‘er DONE!!!

6. ptritle says: Jul 22, 2011 11:17 AM

Why is Mawae even involved…..the man will not have a job next year.

7. jack2469 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:18 AM

RIP Mrs. Kraft.

I believe this is done before the weekend ends.

8. RexCanCoach says: Jul 22, 2011 11:18 AM

Let’s make sure all NFL players feelings are comforted before signing.

Kind of like when you walk up to a pool table in a bar and the guy standing there says “hey let’s play a game for no money, I’m new at this”.

9. seahawkhuskyfan says: Jul 22, 2011 11:19 AM

I think the owners should pull the deal off the table. This is crazy.

10. clintonrb says: Jul 22, 2011 11:19 AM

Were going to miss at least a week of the preseason
    Watch

11. popwarner says: Jul 22, 2011 11:19 AM

“NFLPA* leadership remains cautiously optimistic that a deal will be finalized soon.”……

=

….Phil????? Phil Connors?????????

12. push4souls says: Jul 22, 2011 11:20 AM

Whatever, just an excuse for them to waste some more time…

Millionaire Babies

13. CKL says: Jul 22, 2011 11:21 AM

Mrs. Kraft is still acting as a peacemaker even now. I like it. :)

14. coutre says: Jul 22, 2011 11:21 AM

I bet De Smith is surprised by these developments.

15. meyerla says: Jul 22, 2011 11:22 AM

Mawae should have said, “I’m retired and most of the current players will be out of the league before the deal is half over. We neither understand nor are effected by the remaining points we are arguing about. But preseason is meaningless to us and we don’t really care when fans get to see football or the quality of that football so long as we don’t have to work that hard in practice or the preseason. And one more thing our bosses are mean so have sympathy for us.’

16. dirtybird70 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:22 AM

Seems to me that feelings are hurt and it’s all about pride at the moment. ‘We’ll vote when we want’. F*CK pride! (in my Marcellus Wallace / Pulp Fiction voice).

17. nasheagles says: Jul 22, 2011 11:22 AM

the NFLPA acts if they havent been in negotiations; they knew the owners wanted to settle yesterday and now they’re throwing fits b/c the owners told them to recertify… newsflash —you’re negotiating labor issues for members which requires you to be a union or the league won’t need to comply with, min. salaries, insurance…etc..

18. bensstinkyfingers says: Jul 22, 2011 11:24 AM

Blah Blah, The players are milking this out until the heat wave passes, so they don’t have to do their ( one a day practices) in 100 degree weather. Plus Dee Mo needs to get in his final moments of relevance in the spotlight. Can’t wait to see the special sequined fedora pimp hat he rocks at the press conference when the deal gets done.

19. bucngator says: Jul 22, 2011 11:25 AM

What are the odds that Mawae is trying to position himself for a long-term “consulting” job at the NFLPA offices……. with an eventual eye on De Smith’s job?

Why else does a guy without a job, fight so hard to give the impression he’s “in charge” and “handling things” while Smith is feigning sympathy a few hundred miles away?

20. bearskoolaid1985 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:25 AM

The players have no respect for the FANS and want to drag this out for as long as possible.

21. wizgoblin says: Jul 22, 2011 11:26 AM

What I don’t get about this whole situation is why a bunch of Ravens tweeted last night about how they talked to Foxworth and said they couldn’t wait to get back to football. Ray Rice said looks like I have a job again. Torrey Smith said he talked to Foxworth and was hyped. Then Nakamura chimes in and says we don’t like how they gave us a timeline. Foxworth knows more than any of the player reps, and said it was a good deal, and yet all of these reps and players are saying they snuck in items, they were hoodwinked, don’t like being told what to do, etc. Heath Evans was the best. He made these statements and when asked if he talked to his rep, he said I did yesterday. Then he couldn’t give any specifics on what was “snuck in.” Just sign off. You can only cry wolf so long before no one comes running.

22. realdeal12 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:26 AM

They have no intentions of doing anything today and they are using Mrs. Krafts funeral as an excuse to not have to vote today or even make a staement. This is how they will avoid media and fan backlash for doing NOTHING! because really all they have done is whine and complain about whats fair and what they are not getting. I am sick of these tools!

23. readimgram1 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:26 AM

For those saying “it will happen this weekend” none of these guys have done anything over the weekend at all to this point…

But now they will?

Doubt it.

See ya Monday

24. crimhollingsworth says: Jul 22, 2011 11:27 AM

Takeo Spikes has been on ESPN all morning, and he is very uninformed. All I know is what I read on PFT, and I’m 100% sure I know more than Takeo Spikes about the labor situation, and he’s a player representative.

25. cam3420 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:28 AM

WOW all this BULLSh*T this offseason has really made me lose respect for the entire game of football and its players. Why in the hell should i spend money to go watch greedy arrogant jerks or spend money on there jerseys, i mean i really wish more people would boycott the games and boycott nfl merchandise mayb the fans will get a lil power and say in the next lockout if they see that this season the stadiums are empty while these jerkoff players play the game they say they love soo much pffftttt ridiculous

26. deadeye says: Jul 22, 2011 11:29 AM

The soon to be union wants to fill out cards instead of expediting the process electronically. Why? So they can fell like they weren’t dissed? What a bunch of immature fools.

27. hystoracle says: Jul 22, 2011 11:29 AM

Every preseason game lost is $200 million dollars down the drain.

Stop the Pissing contest! It’s juvenile. But what do you expect from grown men playing a kids game.

28. dashrews says: Jul 22, 2011 11:30 AM

I wish these players would cut the crap and stop wining over twitter and on air! Either make a deal or go away and try working 60+ hours a week like the rest of us

29. TurdSandwich says: Jul 22, 2011 11:30 AM

Bla bla bla. I’m set to watch horror movies every sunday this fall.
    I’m over waiting for Farmer John to bring us chicken scratch.

30. scytherius says: Jul 22, 2011 11:31 AM

Absolutely no reason to rush it. Give ‘em time.

31. scytherius says: Jul 22, 2011 11:33 AM

Amazing to me that some people here think that they are “owed” something by the Players, or even the Owners.

Get a clue. You aren’t.

32. triplepropalm says: Jul 22, 2011 11:34 AM

The $9 billion question is what really changed between the last time the owners and players met face to face and the owners voted on what they eventually sent to the players last night?

Sure, it’s likely 90% or more the same. But, it’s obvious that the owners tweaked things before they voted yesterday.

That is where the issues lie.

One of the issues still out there apparently is that the owners want this locked in for 10 years and the players want the option to opt out of the deal after 7 years.

I doubt it.

33. okieplus4 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:34 AM

Fair my ass. You a-holes get paid to play a freaking game. come work 12 hour days making 10 bucks an hour in a sweatshop and worry about feediing your kids…All parties involved can suck it….That’s pretty fair to me…

34. indianheadmeatpackingcompany says: Jul 22, 2011 11:35 AM

Greed. All around Greed. Greed on the owners’ part. Greed on the players’ part. I can’t say that I myself would be going for as much as I could because I would. With that being said I also know that I wouldn’t be involving the fans trying to get them to give me symapthy. It’s pathetic how the players trying to get us (the fans) to feel sorry for them. I played semi-professional. Sure I didn’t have to as hard as they (nfl players) do, but I still had to work hard. I still took the same beating if not worse than nfl players take. When you have scouts and are making game tapes to send to agents and professional teams you seem to want it a little more, run a little faster and hit a little harder. Was I getting a free ride from this? Hell no. I still had to have a regular job just as every player I knew had to. We did it because of love for the game. nfl players deserve to get paid. but there will never be a day that I will feel sorry for a person that is making millions a year. Most people don’t know that the league min for a four year player was around half a mil per season. It’s all about the greed. I’m trying to support the CFL and AFL. Sure it’s not the nfl but those are guys that are doing the same job for a fraction of the price.

35. thephantomstranger says: Jul 22, 2011 11:35 AM

popwarner says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:19 AM

=

….Phil????? Phil Connors?????????
    ________

Nicely done. By the way, my wife hates you because the Pop Warner championship is at Disney World the same week we’re going. Keep your kids under control, okay?

36. pdxpanther says: Jul 22, 2011 11:35 AM

Cam3420, don’t lie to yourself or us. When the season gets under way, you will be in you fav team gear rooting for them like the rest of us. If you truly did lose respect, then why would you be on PFT commenting on this?

37. indyeagle says: Jul 22, 2011 11:36 AM

Let me guess, they will work on it until 5 pm today and then start up again at 10 am on Monday?

38. croqkbh says: Jul 22, 2011 11:37 AM

Let’s put this all into perspective.

1) The players expect ironclad contracts filled with guaranteed money, no matter what their performance is.

2) The players want to share the revenue of the NFL almost 50/50 yet they have made no financial investment at all and take no risk, except for the risks that are associated with the game, which they don’t have to play, but they are willing to run because of their HUGE salaries.

3) They are claiming they want a “fair” deal but haven’t read it?

4) They will always go after the huge buck and bail out on any team. They will often get much more money than they deserve and then play like hell and never give any money back for poor performance.

5) They want to drop 2 a days, which all high school players can handle.

6) A huge amount of the players don’t pay child support for all of the children they have, they rape chicks, beat down fools, drive drunk and take roids and other drugs.

Face it…they don’t give a rats ass, and why should they when we all support them.

It’s time to tell them to shove it deep.

39. bobwhitequail says: Jul 22, 2011 11:37 AM

This whole “proper way to recertify the union” via signed cards is B.S. They can easily recertify if they want to. You don’t have to have signed special cards in this day and age. The “…respect the players’ chosen method of reconstituting the union.” is crap. They don’t need 2 weeks, they don’t need no stinking cards. If they want to recertify they can very easily. This is not the issue.

40. phillyeagles22 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:39 AM

maybe i’ll consider a new favorite sport…

41. croqkbh says: Jul 22, 2011 11:39 AM

It’s time these fools understood WHO their real bosses are….THE FANS. We pay for it all.

42. lesticles1983 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:39 AM

Had I know these avaricious a-holes would have been like this back in March, I would said “F the NFL!”

43. phinfan54 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:40 AM

At the end of contentious labor negotiations the union typically has to “sell” the negotiated settlement to its members. The union leadership should normally be doing that throughout the process as items are agreed to. There is a responsibility on the part of the union leadership and negotiators to transition the membership from the “us against them” mentality to a stance of “we didn’t get everything we wanted, but this is a good deal” attitude.

This does not seem to be happening in the NFLPA. With so many professionals involved in this process it is surprising the union has fallen on its face with this “end game”.

44. fballguy says: Jul 22, 2011 11:40 AM

If you had to run around in pads, slamming into 300+ pound beasts, in 98 degree heat….while being screamed at by unathletic, middle-aged, men wearing high socks and even higher shorts…you wouldn’t have a sense of urgency either.

It’s much cooler in September, let’s practice then.

45. supashug says: Jul 22, 2011 11:40 AM

who the hell is in charge and why are they just reading the agreement in full, they should just be reading what was changed in the agreement.

The NFLPA is a joke, all players involved should have had a copy of this days ago. The average NFL player can’t be expected to read more then 2-3 pages a day so we are in deep trouble

next up will be, we didnt have our playbooks so the first 5 games will be sloppy

morons

46. fballguy says: Jul 22, 2011 11:41 AM

Players don’t get paid for practice…they get paid for games. So what’s the rush?

47. Chris Guest says: Jul 22, 2011 11:41 AM

Again, no one has given me an express reason why Kevin Mawae is still president of the NFLPA*. That position has always been held by an active player not someone that will be out of football for 2 years.

48. ejmat2 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:43 AM

Disrespectful to the Kraft family? Really????? What a bunch of BS. I’m quite positive that if the player reps would sign off on the deal today since DeSmith is attending the funeral Robert Kraft and the other 30 owners that voted for the agreement would be elated.

By the way, how long does the funeral last. They act like it’s an all day event. I’m not trying to be disrespectful at all. The fact of the matter is the vote could in fact be done today if the players really wanted it to be. What a bunch of jacka$$e$.

49. saturn1111 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:44 AM

Chapman_Jamie says:

“No sense of urgency at all with these guys.”

I write:

have you ever had to pour through a long document written in head-spinning legal-ese that will bind you and 1900 other players for the next ten years?

Probably not.

And judging from the quality of your posts, I’m guessing it would take you weeks to get a true grasp of what that document says.

So lay off the players while they figure out whether or not they want to commit themselves to this deal.

50. theysone says: Jul 22, 2011 11:44 AM

At this point, I hope this shibacle goes into the regular season and kills some games. This will infuriate the more casual fans who are not following this mess as closely as the rest of us. These greedy morons need to be sent a message.

51. bdelay says: Jul 22, 2011 11:44 AM

If this season gets cancelled I won’t watch or participate in anything NFL related for the the rest of my life.

52. popwarner says: Jul 22, 2011 11:45 AM

thephantomstranger says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:35 AM
    popwarner says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:19 AM

=

….Phil????? Phil Connors?????????
    ________

________

“PopWarner remains cautiously optimistic that he can keep his kids under control.”……

53. hendawg21 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:45 AM

hmmm an interesting fall and winter no NFL no NBA glad I got into hockey let’s see camps open in September I think i’ve found my new outlet…

54. bunkmcnulty says: Jul 22, 2011 11:46 AM

It is so very apparent at this point how much players are not “business people,” while conversly it is apparent how much the owners are. When the players met on Wednesday they could have (if they were smart business people) issued a statement that they agree in principle with the major areas of the proposed deal, albeit that it is not in written form yet and that they need time to recertify, and fully review the written deal. Put in a couple of clear outs in their statement just in case what they understand to be the deal, and the written deal differ.

But they didn’t, and they left the door open for the owners (who are smart business people) to take the opportunity to seize the moment and state they have approved the agreement. The owners have now hung all this on the players and De Smith.

By doing it the way he has, Smith has allowed all the “rocket scientist” players to shoot off their mouths (or their twitter accounts) with comments that are nonesensical. Somehow I thought the NFLPA Executive was to look out for the interests of the players. Wow, he really exposed them to looking dumb. Now we know why we love our football players….to play football; not to show their business acumen.

55. mlauer1983 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:49 AM

I am getting sick and tired of all these players letting their feelings get in the way of acting like adults and getting a deal done. I spent all morning listening to a little boy from the BILLS, and a little boy from the SAINTS, say that this was a power play or “they slid things into the deal”! However with all of their wining they offer NO examples of what the owners “slid in”! They need to stop acting like a little boy who didn’t get picked first for the game!

This is getting sad, this deal was built WITH D. Smith involved….GAME, SET, MATCH! If it is a power play, then its a power play….get over it! you can’t dictate something that you help build. The vote needed to happen….sorry we didn’t wait for you…we were acting like fans….wanting to get back to the games!

56. popwarner says: Jul 22, 2011 11:49 AM

triplepropalm says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:34 AM

“And for all those who say just sign it, did you just sign the paperwork to buy your house without looking it over or having your lawyer look it over?”
    _____________

I agree to a point. I believe the big difference is typically myself or my lawyers would not the ones responsible for helping draft the paperwork to buy my house.

The NFLPA*’s lawyers, as well as members of the NFLPA* on the other hand were involved in drafting the paperwork/agreement, so the confusion as to whats included in the paperwork/agreement is whats so perplexing.

IMHO at least.

57. angrycorgi says: Jul 22, 2011 11:57 AM

Whoah!! He should have said “There will not be any further NFLPA-asterisk statements…”. More proof of the NFLPA sham!!

58. neemdaddy13 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:57 AM

What a joke this has turned out to be. I was prepared to celebrate the end of this deal last night. After hearing some of DBag Smith’s legalese accompanied by the greedy non-union members, I have finally had enough of this. Today the NFL Sunday Ticket was cancelled as I will no longer pay my “hard earned” (not to be confused with how the players earn their money) money on these greedy bums. I was on the fence as to who was in the right during these negotiations, but it became clear as day in the last 16+ hours. F— the NFL players, they cannot and do not relate to the real world and never will. I hope the owners lock them out for good and let DBag Smith go down as exactly what he is the guy who ruined the NFL!!!

59. triplepropalm says: Jul 22, 2011 11:58 AM

at popwarner,

That’s why the $9 billion question is did the owners tweak stuff or not?

And that’s why the NFLPA* wants the document in hand to check to see if the owners did a bait and switch or not.

If the document is what DeSmith & crew negotiated, then it should be quick and easy.

If the owners tweaked stuff to their liking, then I can see why the NFLPA* is saying “What the [radio edit]“.

But, I don’t have the document in hand…..

60. easyeddie says: Jul 22, 2011 12:03 PM

Obvious that the owners are a superbly-organized bunch who are adept at the nuances of business/negotiation/public relations and know how to present by and large a unified message — in other words, they have their sh*t together.
    Contrast that to the NFLPA leadership which seems to be driven by internal politics and can’t even get their own player reps to present any kind of consistent message to the the public or their own rank and file.

61. bolt4life says: Jul 22, 2011 12:04 PM

Mawae is such a p.o.s. I don’t know how he can represent the players. He is the same player who ruined Merrimans career. If you say it was steroids, you are seriously uninformed. Go re-watch Titans vs Chargers regular season 2007 and look for the hit that was put on Merriman which you can slightly see at the bottom of the screen, far away from the play, and can clearly see on NFLN coaches film. Mawae is a disgrace.

62. flapjack1231 says: Jul 22, 2011 12:07 PM

Since day 1, the players wanted litigation & had no real desire to strike a reasonable deal. They are greedy & senseless.

They are trying to negotiate like owners, yet are merely employees. Never have I seen such greed be so evident & transparent.

The NFL should put a deadline in. Accept the deal or cancel the season. The owners have shown an incredible will to get this done while the other side tweets?

Threaten them with a cancelled season & let them live ayear without their overbloated ridiculous salaries. When faced with not being able to support their lavish and ridicuous lifestyles, then you’ll see how quickly they sign on the dotted line!

63. kwalk4780 says: Jul 22, 2011 12:09 PM

If we are waiting for all 1900 NFL players to read a 500 page document. We are going to waiting a while.

64. frostymugobeer says: Jul 22, 2011 12:13 PM

if the players are not “up to speed” on the proposed CBA….it’s their own fault.
    their reps and they themselves should have been fully aware of the contents as the information became available.
    this B.S. about how there are 1900+ people who have to examine a 400-500 pg document is absolute crapola.
    they have player reps who have been empowered to make the call for them.
    this is nothing more than a last stand to get a couple more days off and a couple more concessions by the owners

65. greenbay4ever says: Jul 22, 2011 12:14 PM

took the word’s right out of my mouth Cam3,420. The one thing is if they do get this done and the seasons starts and games are good from the start. I am sure I will be back on board but I will never ever look at any NFL player the same way again nor will I buy any more merchandise. I have enough Jerseys.

I used to have a lot of respect for these guys because these guys were my favorite athletes and they were always vocal about how much I love the game. I don’t believe that anymore in the slightest. They love money and it’s seems they don’t like hard work. This generation of NFL players is soft. I think the reduction in the worked they are required to do for training camp will show on the field. Sucks. I wish I understood Hockey.

66. supashug says: Jul 22, 2011 12:22 PM

________

no one would sign without reading
    I also didnt wait till closing to ask for a copy of my mortgage and settlement documents.

The NFLPA should not need much time to review the changes, just the red lines. It sounds like they are just getting the agreement which is sad on their part

67. neelydrew says: Jul 22, 2011 12:23 PM

As a fan, I was pretty damned disappointed and confused by the end of the night. I forgot though that I am also an attorney (bash away, folks — I don’t mind) and started to look at what happened from that perspective.

I am not claiming whatsoever that I know everything that went down, because I don’t, but from my experiences as an attorney involved in settlements, there are often times where you have agreed to a monetary settlement, and then you spend the next few days waiting on the final documents everyone will sign, and it’s typically a formality. Then, when you get the final proposed agreements it’s got some language in there that was never discussed (like confidentiality of settlement or required arbitration in the event of settlement breach). the side proposing it will say that they always put that in there and that it is SOP, and I will disagree. I don’t usually consider it to be bad faith by the other side (or them trying to slip something by me). They probably didn’t even think about it and likely never considered it much from my perspective. Almost always, however, it gets worked out within the next few days.

I think this probably happened here. I have a hard time believing that every single one of these owners that voted for the proposal knew or thought that they were trying to pull a fast one on the players at such a late stage in the process. More than likely, it was a few details that the owners considered unimportant but that the players considered important.

68. mathsimillion says: Jul 22, 2011 12:23 PM

Throughout the entire negotiating process it has seemed like the communication between the NFLPA and it’s reps has been non-existent. Taking that under consideration and most of the ignorant comments made by the reps about this deal and it’s language, I’m guessing these highly intelligent college grads will need a little more than a weekend to understand what is going on and then come up with new reasons why it isn’t fair.

I was extremely optimistic until yesterday. Now I don’t see this thing getting ironed out for a week or more yet. I really hope I’m wrong.

69. eaglesfanxx says: Jul 22, 2011 12:26 PM

Here’s what the players claim the owners tried to sneak in:

A deadline to recertify. That’s it.

The players are acting like children because the owners gave the players a July 19th deadline to recertify their union.

The players are also upset the owners are putting pressure on them. The players are acting like hyper-sensitive brats.

The players have too much pride and they’re not smart enough to process the entire propsed collective bargaining agreement in 24 hours.

Idiots.

70. bigvinnyinjax says: Jul 22, 2011 12:28 PM

Oh thank you Mawae, you’re such a sweetheart. May we all kiss your fat ass now?

Boycott the players. They stole the season from you.

71. damcghee says: Jul 22, 2011 12:28 PM

The players need to think about this……….I last heard Mawae wasn’t on anyones roster!!!!!

72. dcviking says: Jul 22, 2011 12:34 PM

popwarner says: Jul 22, 2011 11:45 AM

thephantomstranger says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:35 AM
    popwarner says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:19 AM

=

….Phil????? Phil Connors?????????
    ________

________

———————————————-

Out of respect for the Kraft family, I would request that you make no further comment on whether you will or will not be able to keep your kids under control today…

73. silverhornet says: Jul 22, 2011 12:39 PM

You want us to practice? You talking about practice? Practice!?

AI would be proud…

74. claymaker says: Jul 22, 2011 12:43 PM

These bone headed money hungry excuse my french bastards, just need to sh*t or get off the pot already! This is ridiculous, absurd.

Maybe we’d have a better NFL season with street free agents who could give a damn and actually could be happy without the high salaries. Plan B. Hell sign me up I’ll go play linebacker!

75. heroofthisparish says: Jul 22, 2011 12:57 PM

If De Smith is not there today, that sounds like an opportunity for Kessler to muscle in.

Can the rest of the NFLPA* leadership control Kessler? If the answer is no, send everyone home and come back tomorrow otherwise nothing good will come of today.

76. gvroc6810 says: Jul 22, 2011 1:07 PM

My main issue is this —

De. Smith was on the phone last night right before Roger Goodell. You’re trying to tell me that the owners just voted on some agreement that they made up and added terms that were never agreed to? So, explain to me then what the point of these last four months have been. It’s not true. The *NFLPA was pissed that the ball was in their court Wednesday, they passed, and the owners took advantage when it was in their court.

For some of the players to react like they did, is beyond me.

On Twitter, I am followed by one of the Detroit Lions players. He responded to one of my tweets (not directed at him), that I said it’s time for the players to quit being greedy and acting like the victims and get this done. He told me to know all the details before I speak and that the owners need them, they don’t need the owners. On top of that, he said all the owners do is pay, they don’t need the safety issues that are important (which is true). However, he also believed that the owners were simply “pulling a fast one” on the players.

This simply isn’t true. You have a few players, who in my opinion have no clue what’s going on, spouting off at the mouth and causing an uproar. The owners didn’t just pull a fast one and De. Smith wasn’t in the dark about all this right after getting off a phone conversation with Goodell.

I will give Mawae credit for his comments today, but players, it’s time to get this deal done. The past is the past, and know is time to make sure this never happens again.

Let’s play football!

77. bigvinnyinjax says: Jul 22, 2011 1:22 PM

claymaker YES YES YES. Street free agents. Do it.

I’m 40 and grossly overweight but I’ll play cheap. LOL.

Seriously, there are some decent guys out there who didn’t get drafted because they were 0.10 of a second too slow on their 40 time or because they played in a smaller conference (like the Sun Belt).

These guys can play. And they’ll sign for $100k without hesitation

And I’ll go buy season tickets without hesitation.

78. dspyank2k11 says: Jul 22, 2011 1:23 PM

Remember all that crap the players were spewing about ‘its for the fans’ and ‘lets get this thing done for the fans’!

If I didnt think they were full of it then, I most certainly think the bowl is overflowing now!

on another note.. when they say: “Ive gotta feed my kids..” what does that mean? How many kids do they have? 1, 2, Chinas population?

79. eaglesfanxx says: Jul 22, 2011 1:26 PM

I gave the wrong date in my previous post.

The owners gave the players a July 26th deadline to recertify, not the 19th.

80. edavidberg says: Jul 22, 2011 1:38 PM

gvroc, what are you talking about? Have you read the agreement the owner’s signed? Then shut up and stop spewing ignorance and give the players a day or two to review it. That goes for the remaining 90% of the people on this site that can’t even wait a day or two for the players to review it. Judas Priest. After reading the comments on this site I have lost complete faith in our country’s educational system, we truly are a nation of morons.

81. bigfranky75 says: Jul 22, 2011 1:40 PM

This is disingenuous at best… Bob Kraft could bring himself to vote, yet the players cant out of respect? what a slap in the face of the entire Kraft family. sickening… whe nare the players goign to close the credibility gap? they are losing it (credibility) by the minute with the fans if you ask me.

82. gvroc6810 says: Jul 22, 2011 1:47 PM

edavidberg,

How is it ignorant to want to get a deal done? I think it has been proven that players overreacted yesterday. How did they know that the owners were acting disingenuous when they hadn’t even seen what the owners approved?

You’re a player supporter…that’s obvious. I’m not supporting one side or the other, I want a deal done. It’s ridiculous that we’re already at this point.

83. j0esixpack says: Jul 22, 2011 1:58 PM

Although everyone would have preferred the deal was approved last night, Smith’s decision to attend Myra Kraft’s funeral strikes me as a positive sign.

Maybe that sort of perspective will help bridge the remaining divide and get a deal done.

84. popwarner says: Jul 22, 2011 2:02 PM

dcviking says:
    Jul 22, 2011 12:34 PM

_____________________

LOL…..Classic!!!!

85. edavidberg says: Jul 22, 2011 2:11 PM

croqkbh says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:37 AM
    Let’s put this all into perspective.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? THIS MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.

AND THE NFL OWNERS ARE TAKING A RISK? THEY DON’T EVEN PAY FOR THEIR OWN STADIUMS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A MONOPOLY. MONOPOLIES ARE LICENSES TO PRINT MONEY.

NAME ONE TEAM THAT ISN’T MAKING MONEY. YOU CAN’T FIND ONE BECAUSE BUSINESS IS SO GOOD FOR THE NFL EVEN THE OWNERS THAT ARE IDIOTS (E.G., SNYDER AND BROWN ET AL.) CAN’T LOSE MONEY.

3) They are claiming they want a “fair” deal but haven’t read it?

ARE YOU ONE OF THE IDIOTS THAT DOESN’T WANT THEM TO TAKE A DAY OR TWO TO REVIEW IT?

LIKE YOU WOULDN’T DO THE SAME? WHY DON’T THEY DESERVE THE MONEY THEY MAKE FROM PLYING THEIR TRADE?

5) They want to drop 2 a days, which all high school players can handle.

EXCEPT FOR THE FEW THAT DROP DEAP EVERY SUMMER AND KOREY STRINGER.

AND YOU ARE BASING THIS ON WHAT? AND SINCE WHEN DOES HUGE MEAN “SMALL MINORITY”? CAN YOU NAME A SINGLE NFL PLAYER THAT HAS RAPED A WOMAN? CAN YOU APPRECIATE THAT DRUG USE AND FIGHTS OCCUR IN ALL SEGMENTS OF SOCIETY? WHAT ABOUT WALL STREET, YOU THINK THOSE MFERS AREN’T DOING COKE EVERY NIGHT?

It’s time to tell them to shove it deep.

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR OPINION BUT THE ARGUMENTS YOU USED TO SUPPORT IT ARE NONSENSICAL.

86. bunjy96 says: Jul 22, 2011 3:12 PM

Why all theses uninformed comments that the owners snuck things into the CBA?

Not one item has been so defined by DeSmith or Kessler.

So just stop this garbage!

87. vetdana says: Jul 22, 2011 3:24 PM

scytherius says:
    Jul 22, 2011 11:33 AM

Get a clue. You aren’t.

This may be true…but….I don’t owe the players or owners anything either…..and they wont get one thin dime out of me !!….Period !!

88. thephantomstranger says: Jul 22, 2011 3:39 PM

greenbay4ever says:
    Jul 22, 2011 12:14 PM

_____________

Getting pretty negative, bro.

89. beastofeden says: Jul 22, 2011 6:55 PM