Vincent Jackson remains a thorn in side of labor deal

Vincent Jackson, Charlie Joiner AP

Patriots guard Logan Mankins made it clear Thursday he’s not looking for anything in return for being an antitrust plaintiff.  As Florio mentioned last night, Vincent Jackson remains a bit of a problem.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Jackson continues to demand $10 million or no franchise tag for life, despite Jackson’s public claims to the contrary.  While Jackson hasn’t made the demands himself (of course), people “close to him” have made the demands.

Florio mentioned the NFLPA* fears a lawsuit from Jackson.  The Chargers receiver has somehow become an issue for both sides of the labor dispute.

It’s unclear how Jackson’s situation will be resolved, but it would be shocking for the NFL to back down and give Jackson anything.  Schefter suggests Jackson could continue to sue the league even after the antitrust plaintiffs step down.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Vincent Jackson remains a thorn in side of labor deal”
  1. goindy2006 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:45 PM

Who cares anymore?

I know I don’t

2. thephantomstranger says: Jul 22, 2011 4:46 PM

Vincent Jackson sucks. Who’s with me?

3. antalicus says: Jul 22, 2011 4:47 PM

Why you gotta be “That guy” Vincent?

4. peester15 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:47 PM

It would be best for no NFL team to take him and just let him rot.

5. cantonbound13 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:47 PM

Jackson continues to be a problem off the field. Good luck to the poor sap that signs him.

6. bearskoolaid1985 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:48 PM

This guy is a selfish tool who is only thinking of himself.
    All the players should go to their reps and demand a vote for it is time for all the players make their 1900 feelings known.
    Screw Kessler and his hitlerian vision of the NFL for he is the one telling Jackson to do this.

7. skinsrock says: Jul 22, 2011 4:51 PM

He knows that Dan Snyder money is out there… I agree players should only be franchised once… If you don’t want to pay the piper, trade him to someone that does while he is on his 1 year franchise deal.

8. wicky888 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:51 PM

I’m gonna try really hard not to post anything racist right now

9. footballfanatic3431 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:52 PM

I still like my idea.

The owners should make him an unrestricted free agent and then once he is a free agent, all 32 teams should recognize he is not a good character guy and don’t want to sign him.

10. yajas says: Jul 22, 2011 4:53 PM

And if he does sue on his own, he should consider how long that would drag out, how much it would cost him, and what he will be left with if he loses. He could definitely end up regretting that.

11. hunst009 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:54 PM

My new favorite player to hate=Vincent Jackson!!!

12. jwil444 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:54 PM

Wow, a WR causing problems………who would have thought such a thing?? They are normally such team first guys!

13. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 22, 2011 4:55 PM

I am about fed up with the whole NFLPA. They continue to make excuses and not vote on the new deal. Fans have waited long enough. Stop stalling and get this deal done.

14. grpatriot says: Jul 22, 2011 4:57 PM

Jackson should not drive while intoxicated. Then maybe a team would consider signing him long term???
    I hope people realize that 1 more DUI he gets a years suspension..When is a player responsible for their own actions?
    Logan Mankins has taken a lot of heat from posters here. Logan dropped his demands and attended Myra Kraft’s Funeral Service…Is he the bad guy? No..He has a legit beef. I have a good feeling he’ll get a long term deal. I mean he’s entering his 7th year and still hasn’t recieved a payday. He is everybit the Gaurd Evans (NO) is and maybe even better?

15. freebird2011 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:57 PM

Of all the positions in the NFL, WRs seem to have the most over-inflated sense of self-importance. The good ones might catch the ball 5-7 times a game tops. That pales in comparison to QBs, RBs, and OL who are involved in virtually ever single offensive play.

The NFL should go ahead and waive the franchise tag for Vincent Jackson for life because no one will ever put it on him again. He’s one screw up away from a year long suspension.

16. cdjones34 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:58 PM

I’m sure he will take care of the problem himself, next time he goes out drinking and driving maybe he will wrap himself around a tree?

17. mrclearview says: Jul 22, 2011 4:58 PM

I’m not really sure where Vincent Jackson gets the idea that he is worthy of these demands over anyone else….I wouldn’t even consider him a top 5 receiver. Give it up man.

18. southmo says: Jul 22, 2011 4:59 PM

I wonder if he’ll stand outside the courtroom during a recess and claim he was just passing by?

19. jdnales says: Jul 22, 2011 4:59 PM

Egomaniacal

20. mkivland says: Jul 22, 2011 5:00 PM

Looks like his lawyers have been spending too much time in the car with Vincent. Drunk to the point of delusional.

21. bender4700 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:02 PM

Here’s an idea:

Step 1: Deem Vincent Jackson a Free Agent.
    Step 2: Deem Vincent Jackson mentally unfit for duty. Site ridiculous notion he has that he is somehow one of the best WR’s in the league. Site his incredible ability to demonstrate stupidity. He may be the dumbest player currently in the NFL besides Deshawn “Personal Sabotage” Jackson. Site his incredibly growing ego.
    Step 3: Bar and Ban him from ALL and ANY NFL activities for 20 years. Institute an instant ban for any Network that hires him for any reason.
    Step 4: Place a ban on speaking the name Vincent Jackson for 20 years.

4 easy steps to ensure that one of the worlds dumbest persons cannot be mentioned again for 2 decades unless he robs someone.

Seriously Vincent Jackson, if you read this: You CATCH A BALL and RUN! You are just above Pro Hockey Player on the ladder of Importance to Humanity. You are much lower than most NFL’ers as you spend most of your time on the bench talking about how good you are rather than playing.

In order for you to grasp how unimportant you are to the world, you spend more on shoes in a year than most make in a year. All you do is wear a pretty uniform and run around on a grass field with 21 other dudes jumping around catching a ball. You get paid more money than anyone should ever be paid to do what children can do. Look in the mirror. When people talk about what is wrong with the world and America today, it is you. You who feels your checking account needs to be much larger simply for talents that on the grand scheme of things are like being the best clown in a circus. Sure, plenty of people love it, but really, REALLY, you don’t matter. You aren’t going to change the world. Just some record books of the ENTERTAINMENT business that is Pro Sports.

What you need to do Mr. Jackson is call the NFLPA*****)(&(*^&%*^%$ and tell them “hey, get the deal done, don’t let me be a road block for the one thing that brings joy to a lot of American’s in an otherwise joyless planet.”.

K? Cool Vinny Jack?

He literally is the stupidest person in the league. 2nd only to Deshawn Jackson.

DJ could shoot himself in the knee while standing on a 20 ft fence with glass and rocks on either side and I would NOT be surprised, I would be surprised he was smart enough to pull the trigger.

America deserves a better class of Pro Athletes.

*exhales*

Thank you.

22. mike83ri says: Jul 22, 2011 5:02 PM

Let me remind you of the quote from Logan Mankins’ agent:

“Logan’s main concern for entering into as a plaintiff was to see if he can become free and help other players have less restrictions. For people to say he has made monetary demands, he hasn’t made any such demand.”

This does NOT mean that Mankins isn’t being a baby about special priviledges.

23. freebird2011 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:04 PM

The Chargers could simply withdraw or remove the non-exclusive franchise tag, which might make it a legally moot point. DUI Jackson won’t get $10 Million a year from anyone else.

24. 2sloweggroll says: Jul 22, 2011 5:05 PM

Eggplant

25. frostbelt says: Jul 22, 2011 5:05 PM

Not this clown again. This dude sucks and so do the Chargers. Move them to L.A.

26. joosef619 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:06 PM

I doubt this is VJs doing than it being the little jew agents he has trying to get their money back from last year. Every GM should hang up or turn their backs on Jonathan Feinsod.

27. Tim Justice says: Jul 22, 2011 5:07 PM

If I were VJ I would want my 10 mil as well. You guys are being more selfish than he is demanding that he cave in just because you need your entertainment.

28. mrbigass says: Jul 22, 2011 5:09 PM

How does this idiot deserve anything other than what the other igmo’s sign off on? I say let him sue. It will drag on in court until this (maybe) CBA expires……

29. austinbrownsfan says: Jul 22, 2011 5:09 PM

After all is said and done, Vincent Jackson’s jersey will have the name “He Hate Me” on it.

30. ruvelligwebuike says: Jul 22, 2011 5:10 PM

Jackson also had his agent add, “It’s cuz I’m black, isn’t it!”…just for old times sake.

31. jjrs89 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:10 PM

Cut him then blackball him from the league for life. Problem solved

32. milkmandanimal says: Jul 22, 2011 5:11 PM

Wait . . . what’s that in the sky over Gotham?

It’s the Kluwe-signal!

33. esg6string says: Jul 22, 2011 5:12 PM

I want two things explained to me.

1) Why did they need 10 guys to sign the lawsuit when all they needed last time was one guy.

2) Why does anyone think someone who just signed a piece of paper and didn’t do any of the hard work to get a deal done deserve anything. If none of the other 9 guys get anything other than the new CBA and the ability to work again why should this one jackass have a legal case against the NFLPA?

They would have been fine with just Brady and Manning lending their names, maybe Brees but why anyone else really needed to be involved I have no idea. What risk did they expose themselves to? Nothing happened to Reggie as a result of him being the sole player to stick his neck out.

I’ve generally been on the players side in that the owners caused this whole mess and I think their initial demands were pretty outrageous.

34. bender4700 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:14 PM

Tell me Tim,

WHY does he deserve $10 dollars?

He runs and jumps and catches and spends most of his time on the bench in protest.

You like over paying jerks?

35. cqheartbreak says: Jul 22, 2011 5:14 PM

This guy must be a real idiot.

If he sues the NFL, does he honestly think a team will pick him up and pay him more money after holding up the labor talks and preventing the owners from getting the players back on the field.

He should be black balled by the teams if he does.

36. ecoplastican says: Jul 22, 2011 5:14 PM

What can one say about such selfishness.

Normally I don’t want to see anybody get maimed on the playing field.

37. nomoreseasontix says: Jul 22, 2011 5:15 PM

Another piece of trash with an entitlement complex. Doesn’t belong in the NFL. I’d say let him go get a job in the real world, but a guy like him wouldn’t be holding down a job. He’s lucky he’s able to be paid to play a game.
    Maybe he should go have some Hennessy and roll around in his pippin’ ’99 Buick Park Avenue with the giant idiotic looking rims….

38. forevercorr says: Jul 22, 2011 5:17 PM

I have no sympathy for Vincent Jackson. I hope he is granted his life-long free agent status and the headaches he has caused coupled with his off-the-field bull keeps any other team from picking him up…
    But you also have to give A.J. Smith some credit here. He’s ruled with such an iron fist that it seems he’s keeping Jackson on only as a point of pride. The Chargers have proven they don’t need him. He’s not helping the team, and yet he hasn’t been given his permission to walk. Efforts to trade him have faltered because Jackson and Smith’s giant egos push everything else off the table.
    Time to move on.

39. schmitty2 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:17 PM

wicky888 says:
    Jul 22, 2011 4:51 PM
    I’m gonna try really hard not to post anything racist right now

As much as I hate V-Jax right now let’s not get racial. Remember 3 of the names on the Anti-trust suit are Manning, Brees, and Brady

40. antalicus says: Jul 22, 2011 5:19 PM

Make him a free agent and then suspend him for the season for being a tool.

41. joosef619 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:22 PM

Blackball any player represented by these 2 clowns.

42. annnann says: Jul 22, 2011 5:23 PM

No way the league or NFLPA* give him $10 million. No team will want him in their locker room after this. He’s shown how selfish he is, I mean this is a guy that held out the majority of last year when his team needed him and now he is potentially screwing with every player, owners, and workers.

43. psychoraider904 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:24 PM

I wished they’d lock out all these clowns for the year. Make them go get real jobs for a year and I bet they’ll come back with a whole new attitude. These guys suck. People all over the world and even in our own country are starving and losing their homes and these guys have the balls to make these outlandish demands like they don’t make to much money already. This makes me hate NFL players that much more.

44. fastrichie says: Jul 22, 2011 5:24 PM

Make him a FA and then with a wink-nod agreement no team signs him … Give him what he deserves … Nothing!

45. revolution22 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:25 PM

If this were Jennings, Welker, or someone like that, I MIGHT be able to understand. MIGHT! V-Jax is a douche. He’ll get signed by someone, I have no doubt, but I hope it’s by the Cards, and I hope their lousy QB (who is it again??) gives him absolutely NO RZ targets. Make him EARN IT!

46. thegonz13 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:26 PM

@thephantomstranger… I second your motion and I’ll raise you a “No NFL job for you” tag for life!

47. subzero00 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:26 PM

Vincent Jackson you need a heavy dose of reality pills. You have never caught more than 68 passes in a season, you have never caught more than 9 TDs a season, you average under 5 TDs a season, you are 1 stupid night of “fun” from being suspended for a year. You have an elite QB throwing you the ball in Rivers, so quit thinking you are some H.O.F. player and holding up the league. C’mon Man!

48. catman72 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:34 PM

It’s all about you VJax… I hope someone gives this guy a code red when the season starts back up again.

49. scoob766 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:34 PM

Give home what he wants and on the side everyone agree not to sign him when his contract his up. Just get him out of the nfl

50. pppath says: Jul 22, 2011 5:37 PM

I like Vincent. Despite his disageement with ownership, when he did play he gave it 100%. Worked and played hard. Compare this too players like Albert and Randy who are actually making the big bucks.

He is going to be a fantasy god this year. With Floyd gone it will Vincent and Antonio. Who do you double team? Looks like with all the hatred everyone has for him, I can get him (#1 wide receiver) in the fourth round. RB, QB, Antonio, Vincent.

I know. Third round is normally to high for a tight end but Antonio is as good as a #1 WR. And in the mocks I’ve been doing he never makes it passed the fourth.

I am not a Charger fan. Rams here.

Have a nice day all!

51. rollerino1 says: Jul 22, 2011 5:39 PM

schmitty2 says:
    Jul 22, 2011 5:17 PM
    wicky888 says:
    Jul 22, 2011 4:51 PM
    I’m gonna try really hard not to post anything racist right now

52. crazy2bbengals says: Jul 22, 2011 5:40 PM

why are recievers always the problem children? especially when they are so easy to replace!

53. wyobroncoboy says: Jul 22, 2011 5:51 PM

Maybe he will go and get another DUI this weekend and the problem will fix itself!!!

54. nflhof says: Jul 22, 2011 5:58 PM

Word is VJ is on his honeymoon in Fiji. His agents hav to be behind this and what I can’t believe is VJ is letting these fools ruin his name all in the name of greed. Feinsod and Schwartz are making AJ Smith look a genius right now.

55. tbtrojan says: Jul 22, 2011 6:07 PM

Come on, the man deserves his money.
    There can’t be many wideouts with 6 or more seasons that have a managed to get over 650 yards twice, not once but twice. That’s amazing, even more so considering that he’s had to do it with a passing machine (Rivers) at QB.

Why does the guy think he deserves anything more than his release? Andre Johnsons last 3 years blow Jacksons enire career out the water. Hell this guy is no better than Roy Williams yet he thinks he’s Jerry Rice.

56. deadeye says: Jul 22, 2011 6:21 PM

There is only one solution to this problem:

Get Jackson and D Smith to negotiate a settlement that is mutually beneficial in a car parked in a garage with the engine running and the windows rolled down.

57. vjaxmyboy says: Jul 22, 2011 6:24 PM

1. Lets get this straight haters , V Jax is a top ten receiver.
    2. He got paid like an undrafted free agent. (i understand thats because he an MM both didnt sign pre-season)
    3. He wants ten million to make up for the fact that he got such little money last year.
    4. I agree thats steap.
    5. He doesnt jist sit on the bench and then get up catch and run, he is an amazing run blocker and actually tries hard every play and everyday in practice.
    6. Lets keep in mind he plays a skill postion and is a freakish athlete and off the field troubles or not all 32 nfl teams wish they had him . So banned for life is just your way of saying that ur opinion is retarded.
    7. Will he be compensated probably not, the NFLPA came to him and asked if he would be a plaintiff
    8. A judge mad

58. vjaxmyboy says: Jul 22, 2011 6:25 PM

8. A judge made a ruling saying he got screwed.

59. theysone says: Jul 22, 2011 6:29 PM

As a resident of San Diego, I’m going to sue Vincent Jackson for the danger he put my life in for driving while drunk. I think 10mil per DUI is an acceptable amount.

60. nomoreseasontix says: Jul 22, 2011 6:43 PM

I’ve heard that he’s hired a consultant to help figure out how to spell Vincent either with a capital letter or a Q in the middle of it.

61. denverdude7 says: Jul 22, 2011 6:47 PM

VJ,

Holdout for every dime you can get. You were wronged last year and look to be in line to be wronged again this year.

The Chargers simply don’t respect you. A real man gets his respect. Are you going to stand your ground or wuss out?

Oh yeah…GO BRONCOS !!!

62. honolulubluekoolaid says: Jul 22, 2011 7:23 PM

Ban him from the league and don’t let him back in the union. Then it won’t matter.

63. lebronsinsecurity says: Jul 22, 2011 7:34 PM

wicky888 says: Jul 22, 2011 4:51 PM

“I’m gonna try really hard not to post anything racist right now”

It’s this kind of sh** that irks me about some of the posters on this site.. When 1 of the 4 guys in this suit is black, how the f*** do you make this a racial thing.. People like you make a bad name for the rest of us..

64. crubenst says: Jul 22, 2011 8:53 PM

That is exactly why the players MUST form a union. It will protect the league from lawsuits from guys like Jackson. Without a union, the league can’t operate with rules or else they could be sued. So there can be no draft or rules of any kind if the players don’t form a union. So if the players care about the game at all, they will reform the union.

65. melikefootball says: Jul 22, 2011 9:56 PM

If the owners have some B- –s they will remember where he stands on this issue and let him watch the games on TV

66. cwt123 says: Jul 22, 2011 10:15 PM

I have the perfect solution. Agree to never franchise him, then every owner agrees (behind the scenes) to never sign the guy.

End of problem…..end of Jackson.

67. 4512dawg4512 says: Jul 22, 2011 11:26 PM

Somehow I had a feeling that V. Jack was gonna act like an idiot, you’re not even that good VJ go lay in the UFL. I actually feel sorry for Chargers fans for having to deal with that moron

68. jcdavey2011 says: Jul 23, 2011 3:42 AM

this is why AJ didn’t long term you….that and the alcohol lol

69. Derty Ernie says: Jul 23, 2011 9:13 AM

I have an easy solution to the problem. Fire Jackson. Just kick him out of the league. The NFLPA won’t represent him, its not a union right now, the players won’t support him for dragging this thing out on his behalf, and the owners just say sue us.
    See you in court and in ten years your suit may be settled, maybe not, by then your too old to play and O by the way you may lose.