Players could report by Wednesday; start of free agency under discussion

Lockoutbills AP

Yeah, we know.  You don’t want to get too excited about ESPN’s report that the NFLPA* executive committee is expected to vote Monday to recommend ratification of the next CBA.

We understand.

Until the agreement is officially announced, we won’t pop any champagne.  We will update you on how the next week could play out, should the agreement happen as expected hoped.

Mortensen reports that players from some teams could report to training camp as early as Wednesday to vote on recertifying.  The hope is that process of recertification would be done by Friday at the earliest.  It’s still being discussed when free agency would start and rookie signings could start.

Under that timeline, free agency likely wouldn’t start until next weekend.  As we mentioned earlier, the plan would allow for the first full week of preseason games to happen.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
32 Responses to “Players could report by Wednesday; start of free agency under discussion”
  1. trbowman says: Jul 23, 2011 7:30 PM

Sooner FA starts, the better.

2. footballfanatic3431 says: Jul 23, 2011 7:33 PM

Wait wait wait…Training camp start this week, but free agency doesn’t start till next weekend?

Yikes, I feel bad for every GM who is going to be awake 72 hours next weekend.

3. raider316 says: Jul 23, 2011 7:34 PM

Part od the problem is this site continues to post positive articles then turn right around and posts negative ones. You are playing both sides so you can be “right” no matter what happens.
    PFT bears some responsibilty for the false optimism.
    I will stay turned for the negative article that is soon to come.

4. chucka2 says: Jul 23, 2011 7:39 PM

Just get the vote done already!

Chuck A

5. firstroyal says: Jul 23, 2011 7:47 PM

“Its hot, humid, I am out of shape, all I could think about is how much money I will be making. I can’t complain, I hated being hit in practice- at least we dont have as many full contact practices over the next ten years. Now if we could drag our feet a little longer maybe I can watch TV, twitter, maybe drop something in someones drink and call it a date! Oh how i will miss the air conditioner.”

Signed
    Todays NFL Player.

6. wannabeqb says: Jul 23, 2011 7:59 PM

@raiderfan316

PFT simply informs us of any relevant reports from the NFL, Players or media. It’s up to you to decide whether you believe a report or not.

I won’t believe a seal is struck until I see players at official training camps.

7. wannabeqb says: Jul 23, 2011 8:00 PM

*deal

8. favreblows says: Jul 23, 2011 8:04 PM

All I can say is this lockout completely creams the Vikings chances of doing anything this year. New coach, new scheme, no FAs until training camp. Can you say disaster? That team will be lucky to win 5 games this year. I don’t see them winning one game in their division. No way, no how.

Serves the pr!cks right.

9. superdanlp says: Jul 23, 2011 8:31 PM

raider316 says: Jul 23, 2011 7:34 PM

PFT bears some responsibilty for the false optimism.
    I will stay turned for the negative article that is soon to come.

==================================

They’re not doing that so they can be right or wrong. They are reporting every update they hear to keep their readers updated, regardless of whether it’s positive or negative.

I personally couldn’t care less which site is “right” about the lockout, and I feel confident most people feel the same way. PFT realizes this.

10. joetoronto says: Jul 23, 2011 8:32 PM

You lost me at “Mortensen.”

11. stairwayto7 says: Jul 23, 2011 8:40 PM

ESPN will retrack this within 12 hours!

12. kingjoe1 says: Jul 23, 2011 8:42 PM

All of you posters are way too hard on these players. Gosh darn it they have families to feed, and why shouldnt they work 20 weeks for 5 years and be able to retire? After all they are FOOTBALL players! You know those folks who skated through high school and college, they are priviledged damn it, freakin special, they deserve this!

13. jvw1982 says: Jul 23, 2011 8:42 PM

I’m starting to feel good about this

14. rabidmike says: Jul 23, 2011 8:50 PM

It amazes me how naive the press is or how much you getting “access” keeps you parroting what the league and the NFLPA wants you to say. It’s so obvious what’s going on here. 14 padded practices, in 17 weeks. 5 consecutive days off after a bye week. The next domino will be missed preseason games. And the after the Superbowl the league will announce a shortened preseason and an 18 game regular season. You guys (the press) are such tools.

15. silverhornet says: Jul 23, 2011 8:56 PM

I just got the PFT app for my Iphone because of this lockout!! fml.

16. bucforever says: Jul 23, 2011 8:58 PM

It’s over when I see them on the field!

17. silverhornet says: Jul 23, 2011 9:01 PM

Free agency needs to start Thurs as im a bachelor for three days while the wife and kids take a brief vacation. Can u imagine what kind of trouble i could get into if free agency isnt ongoing?? Thats a different type of free agency. Unrestricted until i get hit with the franchise tag ie 50% revenue sharing!!

18. ticewasbetter says: Jul 23, 2011 9:06 PM

Wow. Intense security at the Bills’ stadium… What do they have guarding the gates? A 14 yr old blood-hound with bad hips?

19. isphet71 says: Jul 23, 2011 9:40 PM

Losing the hall of fame game will ruin the NFL.

20. jcd213 says: Jul 23, 2011 10:15 PM

This has been the longest offseason ever…

21. jcd213 says: Jul 23, 2011 10:15 PM

as a fan that is…

22. rabidmike says: Jul 23, 2011 11:03 PM

I know it’s not relevant to this post, but just to prove the media are tools, I’m gonna do Schefter and his 100% guarantee that Kolb is trade to the Cardinals prediction, one better. Ryan Williams and a conditional 3 (likely a 2) for Kevin Kolb.

23. mictins says: Jul 23, 2011 11:08 PM

This is making me drink again, and I just stopped this morning.

24. cardsfann1 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:11 PM

I am a Cardinals fan and we need a an qb fast damn it!!! This lock out hold up is straight killing me and my hopes of getting back to the super bowl. Every day the deal is not signed is a day closer that I am stuck watching Skelton run Fitz out of the desert. Sign it!!!

25. rabidmike says: Jul 23, 2011 11:45 PM

No worries, Schefter said 100%. Kolb is a Cardinal. Again, 100%. The guy should be fired if he’s wrong or lying. 100%.

26. zizzod says: Jul 24, 2011 12:27 AM

No one knows anything

27. bigstar2012 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:34 AM

WOW!! You actually believe this is going to be wrapped up Tuesday or Wednesday? The players don’t want to work for a living (training camp) and it is becomming more evident.

Prediction what we will hear Monday and Tuesday:

-Players want first born child of every owner.
    -Players want a personal visit from lady ga ga.

My point: Let them go on strike or whatever they want to call it, owners lock them out. Bring on replacement players!!! I am sure the talent pool is good enough right now and in two or three years even better. Either sign the deal or go work for a living loosers. Replacement players: please start getting ready, play your heart out, and see if you can keep from being as greedy as this last bunch of loosers.

28. gdonz14 says: Jul 24, 2011 1:38 AM

Stop.

29. uglycassinova says: Jul 24, 2011 2:45 AM

REPORT: Mort says there is a deal.
    Shefter says they are close to a deal.
    Some guy who says he works at Fox who lives in the alley behind my house says that they are going to vote Sunday at 2:34 pm.
    Finally I feel good for the first time, the guy that sleeps by my trash can never gets it wrong.

So tomorrow at about 2:35 I think I’ll be taking that man some champagne.

30. mrphatal says: Jul 24, 2011 6:23 AM

******JUST IN BREAKING NEWS*********

Players agree to amended CBA–

Amendment — Farve stays retired!

31. Tarkus says: Jul 24, 2011 10:41 AM

Those of you so anxious for replacement players, why don’t you just watch the UFL (assuming they’re still around)? Practice what you preach.

32. nc96mc00 says: Jul 24, 2011 2:35 PM