Report: Eagles interested in Brett Favre

favreimpersonator

Ugh.

Let me repeat that.

Ugh.

Howard Eskin of WIP radio in Philly reports that the Eagles could sign quarterback Brett Favre as a backup to Mike Vick, after Kevin Kolb is shipped out of town.

Sources told Eskin, who serves as a sideline reporter for the team’s radio broadcasts, that it’s “possible” the Eagles will sign Favre.

The move would reunite Favre with Andy Reid, who was an assistant with the Packers before becoming a head coach in 1999.

There was a rumor making the rounds last week that Favre had approached the Seahawks about possibly becoming the successor to Matt Hasselbeck, a move that makes sense given the arrival of former Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell as offensive coordinator.  The Seahawks supposedly declined.  (The Seahawks privately are denying that any of this happened.)

In Philly, Favre would be the safety valve in the event Mike Vick gets injured or regresses.  A master of the West Coast offense, Favre would provide a major upgrade over Mike Kakfa.  Plus, it would give Favre another chance to ride off into the sunset with a Lombardi Trophy in his pocket, even if he has to pry it from Mike Vick’s hands.

Permalink 207 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
207 Responses to “Report: Eagles interested in Brett Favre”
  1. b1unt3d says: Jul 23, 2011 11:11 PM

Alt + F4

2. footballfanatic3431 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:13 PM

Thumbs up for football talk instead of lockout talk.

Even if it is Favre talk…

3. croghan1919 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:13 PM

WOO HOO!!!
    Football talk!!!
    lol

4. tinopuno says: Jul 23, 2011 11:14 PM

As a long time Eagles fan I have one thing to say…will someone please kill me.

5. wojowbk says: Jul 23, 2011 11:14 PM

lmao.

6. drithe says: Jul 23, 2011 11:15 PM

Dear God. Not again! In the immortal words of Darth Vader from Episode 3 ………… NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

End of Line.

7. mictins says: Jul 23, 2011 11:15 PM

And we are off!!!.

8. fonetiklee says: Jul 23, 2011 11:15 PM

Nice traffic-getting headline. If this happens I will honestly eat my boots. This is a non-story.

9. ICDogg says: Jul 23, 2011 11:16 PM

Hard to imagine Favre not being restless on the bench. I don’t know if being a backup is something he can handle.

10. cardsfann1 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:16 PM

I am here in south Mississippi and I am telling you that Brett has NO plans to play in another NFL game. He is done finally. Let it rest. Done!!!

11. trbowman says: Jul 23, 2011 11:16 PM

I was thinking…..

Favre comes back to backup Vick.

Vick goes down late in the season/playoffs.

Favre steps in, starts against…..wait for it.

The Packers in the NFC Championship game.

12. Deb says: Jul 23, 2011 11:16 PM

What are you ughing about? Favre news beats another day of “And now … the pen edges closer to the dotted line … maybe today … but wait … we hear a rumor the players aren’t happy with the toilet paper selection in the visiting team’s locker room in Kansas City …”

13. danby21 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:16 PM

Say it ain’t so. Just go away……

14. duece5 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:16 PM

If I were an Eagle fan, I would have no problem with this……Favre will play SOMEWHERE
    this year.

15. JackLeone says: Jul 23, 2011 11:17 PM

Reset the Favre meter. We had gone so long w/o talking about him, then you go & bring his name back up. Just leave well enough alone already….

16. ICDogg says: Jul 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Didn’t Andy also try to coax Troy Aikman out of retirement one year?

17. msclemons67 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Favre is becoming the new Al Davis. He. Just. Won’t. Die.

18. stubbyjones says: Jul 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Please go back to lockout stories..

19. warsal says: Jul 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Sigh……

20. cheapseater says: Jul 23, 2011 11:19 PM

Barf

21. daburgher says: Jul 23, 2011 11:19 PM

Dont hate Favre b/c the media talks about him so much.. I welcome him back.. the guy is a legend

22. burgado86 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:20 PM

OHHH U GTTTA BE F**KIN KIDDIN ME!?…..

23. superdanlp says: Jul 23, 2011 11:20 PM

How can anybody be interested in Favre after the disaster last season was.

24. jjrs89 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:20 PM

THE DONGSLINGER WILL RETURN

25. yelix says: Jul 23, 2011 11:20 PM

Favre’s desire to play is directly proportional to the amount of articles written about his desire to play. Stop reporting about it, and he’ll stop caring.

26. latinlover11 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:21 PM

If it’s late July, it must be time for Favre watch. Will he ever retire?

27. kremis says: Jul 23, 2011 11:22 PM

He also reported that Brett (I throw interceptions when the game is on the line, then Tom Jackson tells everyone “that’s what I admire most about him”) Farve wants a clause in the contract that he is to have all of the cheerleaders cell phone numbers listed on the last page of his playbook.

28. jjrs89 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:23 PM

What should I do?

Should I show my dick to people?

29. msclemons67 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:24 PM

Best comment ever.

30. jacksaysfu says: Jul 23, 2011 11:24 PM

I’m an Eagles fan and i can only laugh. I want VY but ill take Brett over Kafka any day. Man, i don’t believe I’m writing this.

31. mrcmos says: Jul 23, 2011 11:24 PM

Isn’t there another washed up veteran QB who throws untimely interceptions available other than Brett (Fredo) Favre?

Roll the dice Iggles. You will surely be disappointed.

If you “All In” this year in your quest for a Lombardi, then Fredo should not be a viable option.

Best of Luck!

32. fallcoon says: Jul 23, 2011 11:24 PM

Gotta feed that Farvre ego.

33. fallcoon says: Jul 23, 2011 11:25 PM

Is that picture an imposter?

34. seanx40 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:26 PM

Oh, why not? If he can carry a clip board for a few million, why wouldn’t he? He has to be better than Mike Kafka. Or Matt Leinart. Or whoever else they would get. Of course it is pathetic and sad, but what the hell? At least it will give us something to talk about.

35. MVQB7 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:28 PM

Brett Favre is becoming the Jason Voorhees of the Football. No matter how hard you hit him, you know he is going to come back for another sequel.

36. mississippibred says: Jul 23, 2011 11:28 PM

donovan mcnabb throws slightly fewer interceptions

37. eaglessuperfan says: Jul 23, 2011 11:29 PM

This is not even funny

38. derekjetersmansion says: Jul 23, 2011 11:29 PM

You gotta admit, it kinda makes sense. And I’m an Eagle fan.

39. istateyourname says: Jul 23, 2011 11:29 PM

Shirley, you can’t be serious.

40. rpiotr01 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:30 PM

None of this changes the fact that the Eagles D line is soft like sponge cake, and their LBs are undersized and slow. Anyone who thinks that’s SB team is delusional. The defense needs too much work, more than one truncated off-season’s worth.

41. bpjensen says: Jul 23, 2011 11:31 PM

Who is that even a picture of?

It is not Brett “Rasputin” Favre.

42. steelcity09 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:31 PM

Lockout must really be over then if the Favre talk is starting. LMAO

43. firejimcadwell says: Jul 23, 2011 11:32 PM

Upgrade over the POS that they currently have. But then again so is Kolb.

44. mkepackfan says: Jul 23, 2011 11:35 PM

“And it would give Favre another chance to ride off into the sunset with a Lombardi Trophy in his pocket”

Ah, you must be referring to a keychain sized Lombardi Trophy replica b/c that’s the only way Favre or the Eagles will be getting a Lombardi.

Either way, this is proof positive that the lockout is near end & training camp about to begin, a Favre story.

So in other words, expect about 4 weeks of “will he or won’t he” stories while Brett “contemplates his options”. By the end of that 4th or so week it should be around the 3rd preseason game, otherwise known as “when players are no longer living in college dorms”

45. goldrush36 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:35 PM

Ted Thompson in the voice of Austin Powers: “Why won’t you die!?” Favre has more sequels than Scary Movie

46. mikeyhigs says: Jul 23, 2011 11:36 PM

I don’t buy it at all. It would be a pointless move that would cause more problems than it would solve. If Andy is that desperate for a backup QB, he would just stick with Kolb and his $1.65 million dollar contract.

47. crohrbaugh says: Jul 23, 2011 11:36 PM

daburgher says:

Don’t hate Favre b/c the media talks about him so much.. I welcome him back.. the guy is a legend
    ——————————–

I don’t hate because of the media, I hate him because he’s a selfish insincere prick that puts up an aw shucks routine as a public face while being a manipulative liar who puts himself ahead of the team and the game.

He doesn’t get nearly the blame he deserves for the many horrible game ending picks, for screwing over the Packers year after year, and for his dependence on painkillers to play. People have a hard on for him and want to paint him as a “gun slinger” hero and gloss over the rest.

That being said, he has the right to decide when and if he plays. If a team is willing to pay him, more power to him. If he wins another title, good for him, if he is a tire fire, oh well. It’s his life, he can decide for himself. Either way it should be entertaining.

48. nfl fan says: Jul 23, 2011 11:36 PM

Andy’s so clever, I wish he was my head coach!

49. gbfanforever says: Jul 23, 2011 11:40 PM

If there is any truth to this, which is kinda doubtful, my first inclination is that he is more bitter and angry that Rodgers won a lombardi trophy (and SB mvp, which favre never won) with green bay (in the process beating favre twice last year) than he let on. The eagles are going to be the main obstacle for a packers repeat and it would seem he would do anything humanly possible to remain in the spotlight and just at least stand on the sideline in the uniform of a team that can compete with the pack. Who would of thought a few years ago that he would be so desperate to hang on and try and get another ring that he’d sign as a backup after he’s officially washed up?

50. vabillsfan says: Jul 23, 2011 11:40 PM

maybe he needs the money to make hush money payments? who knows – this guy is baffling.

51. tinbender2000 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:40 PM

I checked my calender and just as I thought, it’s July 23rd, not April 1st. Soooo, what’s up with this article?

52. stairwayto7 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:43 PM

I see it now week 2 Vick gets torn ACL, Favre leads Eagles to a wildcard and beats the Packers in Lambeau field in the playoffs!

53. jh500 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:44 PM

It’s that time of the year again. Favre wants to make a comeback…

54. firethorn1001 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:45 PM

Almost makes me want the lockout to continue.

55. mrlynch33 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:47 PM

YES!!! I love it. Good for you Brett….Do It. Now we can officially say we’ve had a complete offseason. Favre watch is back!
    I’m not so sure he could pull it off, but you never know. I feel like he had a bum wrap last year with his injuries Sidney Rice’s Injury and The Migraine King Percy Harvin. At the least it would be entertaining!

56. egls7 says: Jul 23, 2011 11:49 PM

As an eagles fan, I feel mixed about it

57. Nikhil Balakumar says: Jul 23, 2011 11:50 PM

two things i hate
    -lockout talk
    -favre talk

58. goforthanddie says: Jul 23, 2011 11:54 PM

Someone sign him, so he can get Theismann’d out permanently.

59. imjinbrdgr says: Jul 23, 2011 11:55 PM

gbfanforever says: Jul 23, 2011 11:40 PM

——————————

The instant I read the headline I had the exact same thought. I really hope it happens. Favre starting for the eagles in the NFC Championship game. It could not possibly get any better than that.

60. cheesemakesyoufat says: Jul 23, 2011 11:56 PM

No wonder the players haven’t voted yet.

61. We'reFineThere says: Jul 24, 2011 12:01 AM

Often forgot fact… Andy has a Super Bowl ring…

62. nfl25 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:01 AM

u guys r suckers for the philly media. let me tell u where these rumors started.

DRC for kolb all started on iggles blitz, then 610wip started talking about, then this site started talking about it

farve to the eagles was started on 610 by “the cuz” and then it was talked about by a few people and now its here.

both of these started with fans just saying we should do it. nobody said they heard it was happening. but then some bozo reports it as though he heard it was happening

63. Soulman45 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:01 AM

Favre is talking come back football is around the corner.

64. crunation says: Jul 24, 2011 12:03 AM

favre to tennessee

65. deadeye says: Jul 24, 2011 12:03 AM

The Eagles are farvin nuts!

66. govtminion says: Jul 24, 2011 12:03 AM

Hell, sign him, then trade him to the Redskins for draft picks… it worked on the last washed-up QB in Philly, why not go for two in a row?

67. section731 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:06 AM

Love it – make it happen! If not we could get the local old man Kerry Collins

68. jbeatzz says: Jul 24, 2011 12:06 AM

all hed have to do is hand off to shady and throw it as far as he can and let djax or maclin run under it

69. tommccrossin says: Jul 24, 2011 12:10 AM

All of this Favre talk has just been speculation of other teams that might want Favre / would potentially be good for Favre. As a former Favre lover (pre-vikings) I still have a little faith when he tells us he’s done.. on second thought nvm.

70. caseysarasota says: Jul 24, 2011 12:12 AM

Really the only BAD thing is if Vick gets hurt…if he doesn’t we have one of the best qbs that has ever played the game training Kafka and Vick. Of course if he DOES get hurt and Favre has to come in…Interceptions will be given to cornerbacks like candy on halloween. So, lets hope Vick stays healthy.

71. eagleswin says: Jul 24, 2011 12:13 AM

Dear god no. Our QB situation is bad enough, let’s not make it worse.

72. richardmb52 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:15 AM

OK, great you know football’s back when Favre talk starts up.lol

73. thephantomstranger says: Jul 24, 2011 12:16 AM

I would say that you can’t make it up, but I think this is made up.

74. whyilovecomics says: Jul 24, 2011 12:18 AM

I was worried until I saw it was Eskin.

75. SpartaChris says: Jul 24, 2011 12:22 AM

@stairwayto7-

Your posts are great for the comedic relief. How’s that bitter pill tasting these days?

76. deebo92 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:24 AM

What should I do?

77. doctorfootball says: Jul 24, 2011 12:26 AM

I guess Andy Reid knows Vick is guaranteed to get hurt at some point in the season.

78. bearsnoah says: Jul 24, 2011 12:30 AM

That isn’t Brett favre in that picture….

79. dubzito says: Jul 24, 2011 12:33 AM

I hate to say it, but if this guy can live with being a backup, we might be going through this every offseason till he’s 50…

80. maxvv says: Jul 24, 2011 12:33 AM

This makes perfect sense for Favre. He’d get to gloat in the constant attention of the sideline cameras, all while avoiding having to, you know, actually do anything.

81. richm2256 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:35 AM

Wait …. he retired, and now wants to UNretire??? Can a guy DO that?????

Seriously, he approached Seattle? And now he wants to go to Philly?

This guy just can’t stay retired ….. somebody take ol’ Brett out back and just “Ol’ Yeller” his azz.

82. gosuhgo says: Jul 24, 2011 12:35 AM

Now if we could somehow pin the lockout on Favre… it’d be the perfect storm of posts.

83. richm2256 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:37 AM

msclemons67 says:
    Jul 23, 2011 11:24 PM

Best comment ever.

——————————————————
    Not even close:

jjrs89 says:

What should I do?

Should I show my dick to people?

(First time I laughed out loud here in two weeks)

84. hansenbrothers says: Jul 24, 2011 12:40 AM

make it stop…someone has to stop him…pass a law or something

85. rolandsloan says: Jul 24, 2011 12:44 AM

Egads!!! I thought it was over with Farve. I hoped it was over. Why can’t it be over?

86. melonnhead says: Jul 24, 2011 12:47 AM

I guess the broadcast opportunities for ol’ mumblemouth weren’t exactly flowing in. Get to work, son. Deanna got a taste of NY life, now you gotta bring it to Bugtussle or lose her.

87. johnnyb216 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:47 AM

I remember about 7 years ago when brett said he’d play another 3 years and probably hang it up. Boy, were we gullible.

88. mediasloppy says: Jul 24, 2011 12:48 AM

lol, this would be epic

89. section731 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:49 AM

The NFL is more fun with Favre than without. I don’t want the No Favre League yet

90. ptritle says: Jul 24, 2011 12:51 AM

Bring back Mcnabb on a 1 year deal…knows the system and would be less of a circus then Farve.

91. goawayeverybody says: Jul 24, 2011 1:04 AM

Gross! And so I guess he’s going to unretire again? Blech!

92. mdnittlion says: Jul 24, 2011 1:05 AM

Seriously as an Eagles fan forced to live in Redskin Nation the Eagles front office isn’t making my life any easier. Can’t wait to get to work on Monday and hear about this all day. What is (insert old guy still trying to keep up with young kids) not available right now?

93. medic406 says: Jul 24, 2011 1:11 AM

This is a good move for the Eagles….We’ve seen his throws caught by Eagles players for years.

94. isphet71 says: Jul 24, 2011 1:11 AM

It’s hard to imagine Favre willingly being a backup QB, even if it does make sense.

He gets a few million for sitting on the bench, and the Eagles get an upgrade to Kafka for a backup QB. Sense.

Feels like a win-win. And yet somehow I just threw up in my mouth a little.

95. trainsaw says: Jul 24, 2011 1:13 AM

I would highly doubt Favre would ever come back, much less to backup Mike Vick

96. purpwalk says: Jul 24, 2011 1:22 AM

they can trade pics of dog meat and dong meat

97. charliedamon says: Jul 24, 2011 1:24 AM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhahhahhahhaahahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, Favre, just die already

98. descendency says: Jul 24, 2011 1:26 AM

Who is this Brett Favre you speak of?

99. jazzytrav says: Jul 24, 2011 1:29 AM

Who did what now?

100. dallasux says: Jul 24, 2011 1:32 AM

Anyone hating onthe eagles SB chances needs to wake up and take a good look in the mirror….$ will fix that D, and the O is silly

101. chiefsmoke2424 says: Jul 24, 2011 1:36 AM

Is Jenn Sterger the new beat reporter in Philly?

102. scytherius says: Jul 24, 2011 1:46 AM

Please. No more. No mas.

103. ikedavisnose says: Jul 24, 2011 1:46 AM

Why can’t Farve be one of the normal old people in Mississippi and just sit on his front porch holding a shotgun and sitting a rocking chair sleeping

104. freedomispopular says: Jul 24, 2011 1:53 AM

Unbelievable.

105. spidey817 says: Jul 24, 2011 1:54 AM

Unless Favre plans to do all the gameplanning and the playcalling during a playoff and Super Bowl run, he’s not getting any trophies in Philly.

106. tashkalucy says: Jul 24, 2011 2:04 AM

Well,

Lebron is on vacation, so it’s time for Brett to take over.

I hope ESPN got this.

Brett and Lebron are on ESPN more then any of the personalities…..uh sorry, sports reporters. I’ll bet the two of them have their own dressing room in the building.

107. MichaelEdits says: Jul 24, 2011 2:20 AM

They cut T.O. but want Favre? That’s just messed up.

108. asublimeday says: Jul 24, 2011 2:32 AM

Jimmy boy wearing a Bears hat at the white house. That’s what it means to be a Bear. Your team/franchise/fans are jokes. Players can’t wait to get out of your hole of a town. You’re just inbred enough to cheer for them in the meantime.

109. riverhorsey says: Jul 24, 2011 2:46 AM

smart move Eagles

110. ticewasbetter says: Jul 24, 2011 2:55 AM

Trust me. As a Viking fan, if you have good pass blocking and a decent run game… you could do A Lot worse at backup… He can still win games

Favre got killed in ’09 on a weekly basis but still put up huge number… if we could’ve had better blocking the Vikings would’ve won the Super Bowl with #4. He got killed in 2010 and it finally ended his streak, if not for terrible pass and horrible run blocking you might speculate about Favre returning to Minnesota for year 3.

Vikings would’ve won it all in ’09, and Rice sabotaged 2010 as Favre had no-one to throw to. So there would’ve been no repeat… But if the Vikings had better blocking, yea, we would’ve loved to have Favre back one last year while Ponder learned from the bench…. Nobody can read a defense like Favre, nobody, and I was honored to watch him in Purple play quarterback.

He can still play, as long as Favre has good pass blocking in front of him. And good receivers, which the Eagles have…He can still throw with the best of ‘em. The o-line in Philly is better then Minnesota’s, obviously, I mean whose isn’t, but could it keep Favre healthy….?

Also… let intense speculation begin about a near religous act of forgiveness if Aaron Rodgers goes down and the Pack struggle with what’s his name at backup… Favre return to Lambeau if Rodgers gets injured… that’d be very very interesting.

It could happen….

111. ginuwin794 says: Jul 24, 2011 3:18 AM

He has a better chance of turning into a REAL EAGLE.

112. jrtampa1 says: Jul 24, 2011 3:29 AM

Let farve come out of retirement again. This time he will leave in an ambulance or coffin. GIVE IT UP YOU JACKWAGON!!!

113. terrellblowens says: Jul 24, 2011 3:30 AM

This is a report that came out from the speculation of some Philly writer. I doubt they are really interested in Favre. There are so many reasons not to sign him. And they should be worried about how they can manage to sign Nnamdi

114. jpmelon says: Jul 24, 2011 3:31 AM

He’ll face league scrutiny and punishment for his failure to cooperate with the investigation about the “sexting” scandal. He was essentially safe because he was retired, but as an active player again, he’ll be screwed.

115. MichaelEdits says: Jul 24, 2011 3:32 AM

I think they are serious, Shirley. They haven’t signed Favre yet, but they’ve already put him on their injury report.

116. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jul 24, 2011 3:41 AM

I think Ed Werder just got a little excited. He has his bags packed and his tent ready to report live from up Brett Favre’s ***!

117. pnut87 says: Jul 24, 2011 3:42 AM

This is absurd… You know what Brett? Do it. Please just do it. That way I can watch the Giants end your hopes of continuing your career. They missed that by one game last year.

118. aigraiders says: Jul 24, 2011 3:53 AM

The Raiders can use Favre. We’d be an immediate playoff team with Favre.

119. leftysmoke says: Jul 24, 2011 4:12 AM

If ol’ Brett comes back, I hope everyone welcomes him with open arms. He’s good for the sport, no matter who you or what you think of him. I’m personally not a fan, but he isn’t doing any harm to the sport. His personal life is another story.

He either gives you a reason to root for him, or root against him. It’s solid entertainment and I’d love to see if he could hack it as a back up. Chances are pretty good that Vick goes down and then #4 would be right back in the limelight. It would be too golden if he’s the one that brings a Lombardi home to Philly. Could you imagine the reaction of the entire NFL/sports world? Classic!

Anyway, here’s to some actual football talk. I’m lovin’ it. Let’s get this garbage done with on Monday and have a hell of a Free Agency. Are you read for some football? I sure as heck am!

GO COLTS!

120. poopbread says: Jul 24, 2011 4:34 AM

For a minute there something seemed different. Here I thought it was the lockout. Nope. It was that favre drama.. Feels a lot like football season now. Just needed one douche.

121. phillychzstk2012 says: Jul 24, 2011 4:48 AM

God please forgive me for what i am about to do.

I…wouldn’t…..be….opposed…to..it. And I’m an Eagles fan.

I just dont want to relive him retiring at the end of this season. Again…Especially as an Eagle. Wow

122. ralphshere says: Jul 24, 2011 5:16 AM

PhillyCheezSteak2012: gotta agree with you.

I’d rather dust off Roman Gabriel than the multi-retiree.

Jeez, is he even able to be eleigible…given all the other goofy stuff cropping up in his life- or would the Commish sit him a spell? [and, no, I sure dont want any of Roman’s pictures either]

123. maverick5266 says: Jul 24, 2011 5:19 AM

Ah Philly. The home of brotherly love, cheesesteaks, Rocky………..and coming soon text pics of worn out old dong.

Have fun with the season killer dirty birds. You better pray the dog murderer stays healthy.

124. mr4thand1 says: Jul 24, 2011 5:29 AM

With all this lockout chatter going on these last couple of days, I forgot what football talk really sounded like!

This just in: Rice signs with the Chargers.

125. mrphatal says: Jul 24, 2011 6:01 AM

NO NO NO. Please dont tell me that the Eagles are really considering this move! I have hated Brett Farve forver since his crybaby self left Green Bay. At least there, I had some respect for him. This move Brett did was to try to over shadow Rodgers Super Bowl win and say, “See, I had one more in the tank.” This is total crap and I may see myself taking off my green for this. Lets see how many decisions Andy has made that were good? Draft picks that panned out? Humm, Sean McDermott? Ron Rivera (TBD) and signing Vick gave a lot of scrutiny to the Eagles and Reid barley can handle keeping up with his own lies. Now he wants to subject himself and his players to “Days of our Farve” or “As the Farve Yerns.” I would gladly welcome Vince Young over this douche bag. Brett get some respect and get your own team and win it again. Dont try to pry your way into anothers and take credit for it. Usi, if your reading this, IF Brett goes Green, PLEASE end his career.

126. 1bigtex says: Jul 24, 2011 6:03 AM

I don’t think this is a case of Favre wanting to play again as much as it is a case of Brett wanting people to TALK about him playing again. The reality is Brett Favre is so done that he’s almost beef jerky. Time to play with the granddkids, dude.

@aigraiders

While I disagree with your assessment of the Raiders being a playoff team with Favre at the helm, props for recognizing that Campbell ain’t the answer. Exactly how many different dump off and screen passes can one guy throw?

127. jw731 says: Jul 24, 2011 6:15 AM

spidey817 says:
    July 24, 2011 1:54 AM

“Reid is just dumbfounded when the pressure is turned up. It’s embarrassing as an Eagles fan, to be honest.
    ————————————
    As an Eagles fan I can say…. Truer words have never been spoken…

128. 7370355q says: Jul 24, 2011 6:18 AM

The Favre move makes sense for Philly. Vick will get most of the reps and Brett can come in with a smaller offensive package.

129. notalib says: Jul 24, 2011 6:35 AM

Oh please the Eagles can’t be that stupid…… Or are they

130. stonecld33 says: Jul 24, 2011 6:59 AM

Are you serious! I’d rather talk about how much a hot dog and a coke is gonna cost this year to pay for all their new salaries. Now espn is gonna spend weeks talking about farve. Ridiculous

131. greymares says: Jul 24, 2011 7:05 AM

for anyone to think Brett Favre is an upgrade over Mike Kafka have never seen Kafka play. in fact to beleive Favre is an upgrade to anybody that was on last years N.F.L. rosters is a fool.

132. stellarperformance says: Jul 24, 2011 7:11 AM

This just in…..”The Eagles Are Seriously Considering Getting Kicked In The Nuts!”

“It will be good for the team,” said coach Andy Reid. “No team has ever gotten a good kick in the nuts like the ones Brett can deliver.”

133. httr73 says: Jul 24, 2011 7:18 AM

Brilliant. I’m sure Philly fan will won’t be screaming for the ol’ gun slinger as soon as Vick has an off game. The should create a great locker room atmosphere.

134. txhc says: Jul 24, 2011 7:23 AM

*gun in mouth*

Well…I’m a Cowboys fan though. So, ROFL.

135. jharmon64 says: Jul 24, 2011 7:27 AM

One must admit this is the silliest rumor ever.

136. 1historian says: Jul 24, 2011 7:28 AM

Brett;

How can we miss you if you won’t go away?

137. benniehifive says: Jul 24, 2011 7:31 AM

haha, love him or hate him, nobody in this league is going to push 150 comments in an 8 hour stretch.

138. deenice810 says: Jul 24, 2011 7:32 AM

First of all the werewolf aka Howard Eskin will report anything to get people to listen to his radio show(which sucks)! Second the Eagles would be the complete idiots to trade a 27year old backup and replace him with a broken down 41 year old has been.

139. edrouse says: Jul 24, 2011 7:37 AM

NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HEAR FAVRE NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

140. nickynick04 says: Jul 24, 2011 7:39 AM

If Eskin tells you the sky is blue, you better check

141. eaglestateofmind415 says: Jul 24, 2011 7:51 AM

Just like when HULK HOGAN joined total non-stop wrestling

142. eagleforlife says: Jul 24, 2011 7:51 AM

I just don’t get it…all of this talk about Favre when we could be focusing in on another QB that has giving most of his career to the birds. McNabb will be released by the skins and would be our best option if and when we trade Kolb. I also think the friendship between McNabb and Vick would be better for the team. Favre, as we all know, is a control freak that poses a potential problem if the season gets off to a bad start. Also, knowing how this team operates is a big advantage for McNabb. If he had to resume duties as QB in the event Vick goes down I would have more confidence in him than Favre. What a story line that would be if McNabb resumed duties after Vick went down and won a Super Bowl…wow

143. dbick says: Jul 24, 2011 7:54 AM

This is seriously outrageous. I don’t remember an offseason where a team has been linked to literally every single free agent and/or retired player than the Eagles this year.

144. denverdude7 says: Jul 24, 2011 8:02 AM

News Flash 1:
    The Philadelphia Eagles have announced the signing of Brett Farve.

News Flash 2:
    NFLPA* announces the vote on the CBA will be delayed until Tuesday July 26th.

News Flash 3:
    Brett Farve to cast deciding vote on CBA.

145. hammertoe11 says: Jul 24, 2011 8:10 AM

OK OK Football players DON’T END the LOCKOUT. This way we don’t have to put up with Favre. And besides who is the Eagles? Is that a peewee team?

146. cereal blogger says: Jul 24, 2011 8:10 AM

This is my nightmare….

147. hokies34 says: Jul 24, 2011 8:19 AM

Lmaoo This is a joke right?

148. dd393 says: Jul 24, 2011 8:20 AM

For those of us who have a sense of morbid curiosity, this is just too good. It’s like a reality TV show on FOX.

149. dinplant says: Jul 24, 2011 8:24 AM

IF this has any truth then I question how good Kolb really is. Another A.J. Feeley?

150. toolkien says: Jul 24, 2011 8:35 AM

1) The guy in the picture is an impersonator in a popular youtube video.

2) So funny how packers fans have turned on this guy. He used to be your god, now you’re in mr Rogers neighborhood and it’s “screw the guy we used to regularly shclurp”. -asublimeday

I take it you missed the part where Favre was a grade A jackass the last three years with the Pack, and a leaking hemorrhoid the three years after? No one took his Packer legacy from him, he stuck it in our face and burned it.

3) As for Favre ending up on Reid’s team, three words – Sherman, Mangini, Childress.

151. andyreidisfat says: Jul 24, 2011 8:40 AM

So I am in no way a Favre fan but at the same time if he took a league minimum deal to be back up, IMO he’d be by far the greatest back up of all time.

That being said i doubt this is even a real rumor. Eskin is just about the biggest joke in the history of sports reporting and if this were true it would be the first time this douche bag was right and he’s been reporting sports here for like 100 years.

That all being said i saw comments that some how linked this rumor to how good or not good kolb is. And i just don’t see how they have anything to do with eachother. If/when the Eagles trade Kolb they will need a suitable back up. My hopes were for that guy to be Hasselbacl as long as we don’t ever have to hear a word from his siter in law that loathsum twit. But Farve would also be fun to have as a back up.

152. tunescribe says: Jul 24, 2011 8:56 AM

What — Vick didn’t through enough interceptions last year?

153. bigtrav425 says: Jul 24, 2011 8:59 AM

ZERO chance Favre signs on as a backup

154. oldbyrd says: Jul 24, 2011 9:02 AM

I don’t believe any of this. Their are plenty of back ups around. Wait a minute, I think they want someone over 60.

155. dyhrdpatsfan says: Jul 24, 2011 9:15 AM

That ain’t Favre in that picture!

156. skimbell says: Jul 24, 2011 9:20 AM

The season must have started. Here come the yearly Philly stories–We almost made it last year and we’re a lead-pipe cinch to win it all this year.
    And, according to one of the other items listed at the top of PFT, the Birds, in spite of nearly/surely winning it all last year/this year, are looking to replace almost eveyone on the team through free agency.
    See, nothing’s changed during the lockout.

157. pack15forever says: Jul 24, 2011 9:31 AM

I was thinking…..

Favre comes back to backup Vick.

Vick goes down late in the season/playoffs.

Favre steps in, starts against…..wait for it.

The Packers in the NFC Championship game.
    ____________________________________

And then throws an interception in the last two minutes as the Eagles are driving for the winning touchdown.

158. paulsmith107 says: Jul 24, 2011 9:35 AM

I love how eagles fans wanted mcnabb out after all he did for that sh!TTY franchise because they were all over kilns nuts then kolb gets hurt and Vick comes in and they do okay so vicks now the starter then he has like 3 great games and Vick is god but guess what happened well you can’t teach an old dog new tricks a few hard hits and d coordinators figure him out and he kinda sucked the final 3 games and yet eagirl fans love him and trade kolb well you got no further than what mcnabb coulda done anyway keep Vick so we can see the destruction of Philly

159. garyman1 says: Jul 24, 2011 9:35 AM

Before they can sign him, we need to go through weeks/months of Ed Werder camped out at Brett’s place in Mississippi while Brett determines if he has the desire to lead a team anymore. In the meantime, Brett will work out with the local high school team. Then Andy Reid will need to fly down there and convince Brett just how great he is and how badly they need him (that should happen JUST after most of the team workouts are complete)

160. favreblows says: Jul 24, 2011 9:42 AM

Ha! That would be so awesome. I can’t imagine that Philly is that stupid. Favre is a class A jerk and a lockerroom menace. I hope he gets in there and just gets his clock cleaned. What the hell is he thinking? How much $ is enough? How much body abuse is enough? Can you imagine what goes on inside that distorted, dimented, back-woods, hillbilly mind of his?

Can’t tell you how great Thompson looks now for getting him the hell out of GB. Thanks for a few good years Brett, but it was always just about you.

Paul Hargis blows.

161. sdelmonte says: Jul 24, 2011 9:46 AM

Wasn’t there something somewhere in the CBA that said “No more Favre?”

162. irchs1963 says: Jul 24, 2011 9:50 AM

First Vick, the ‘Exterminator’ now Brett ‘Fraud’…..just another reason to hate the Eagles.

163. stvang says: Jul 24, 2011 9:50 AM

Bret hasn’t commited a felony, thats proof the igles wouldnt want him.

164. drbob117 says: Jul 24, 2011 9:53 AM

Diehard Eagles fan here( who really wants to argue against ”skimbells” point above, but honestly can’t). Favre should have retired after that NFC Championship game where he played very well after a terrific regular season. Last year was every pro athletes worst nightmare… that he stayed a year too long.. that the game had passed him by… that he didn’t have the talent or physical skills to play the game anymore.. He was horrid last year, when he wasn’t hurt. It was like watching Phils HOF Steve Carlton continue to pitch for two more seasons after it was already over. Sad. I hope Eskin has the story wrong, and if he doesn’t I hope Vick is healthy for every minute of all 16 games, because if not , the Eagles season will be over the monent #4 steps onto the field.

165. tjrubleysaudible says: Jul 24, 2011 10:01 AM

asublimeday says: Jul 24, 2011 2:32 AM

——————————————————–

u jelly?

166. tomstew43 says: Jul 24, 2011 10:02 AM

That old silver fox is back

167. sdw2001 says: Jul 24, 2011 10:09 AM

I would LOVE this to happen just for sheer entertainment value. Now my Brett Favre drinking game will be even more interesting.

168. greenkeeper15 says: Jul 24, 2011 10:11 AM

Wow Eskin taking credit on a story Anthony Gargano broke weeks ago. Way to go King, side line reporter yeah from faraway if andy stops to quick he gets rammed by the biggest butt kisser in Philadelphia sports history.

Jimmy Flip Flops

169. mrlynch33 says: Jul 24, 2011 10:33 AM

Favre to Reid:
    “I guess I’m feeling kinda lonely…I’m filled with all these bad intentions.”

170. Little Earthquake says: Jul 24, 2011 10:37 AM

Favre, the “possible successor to Matt Hasselbeck”….his former backup, now that’s weird.

171. sakatak says: Jul 24, 2011 10:42 AM

If this happens Mike Vick will have to be second string, he might not like that. Schism.

172. nowathand twitter.com/Chris_M_Bach says: Jul 24, 2011 10:53 AM

Apparently, Britt and Garrett Reid aren’t the only Reids with drug problems. #legalize

173. sasquash20 says: Jul 24, 2011 10:59 AM

As an Eagle fan I can only pray this is true. Vick will get hurt, and if he doesn’t he probably will fold under pressure like he always does. He isn’t smart, just look at the last play of the season. Should have never thrown that ball. Not that Favre won’t force the ball and throw picks but I trust him over Vick. And with the Eagles weapons Favre would have a much better season then he did for the Vikes last season. Worst case hes a better back then Kolb or more likely Kafka.

174. fatfreddystubbs says: Jul 24, 2011 11:01 AM

“I’ve seen the pictures. This guy sure as hell ain’t no real black man”.

Sincerely,

Bernard Hopkins

175. natefalkirk says: Jul 24, 2011 11:01 AM

Eagles need a decent backup…Vick’s style of play all but ensures he’ll miss some playing time.

176. fatfreddystubbs says: Jul 24, 2011 11:18 AM

Wait, one other thing: If the Eagles do sign Favre, will he still be able to wear #4? The way some people talk about Kolb, you’d think his number might be retired.

177. Spencer says: Jul 24, 2011 11:39 AM

I think he wants to play until he’s dead.

178. dwallym says: Jul 24, 2011 11:51 AM

Everyone is so eager to be a “hater”. Nowhere does it say “Brett wants to play for the Eagles”. It’s all stupid speculation but yet everyone jumps to bash Brett. He hasn’t said a word…. just that baffoon Eskin…if you want to hate on someone…hate on Eskin.

It’s not Brett’s fault the media loves to pounce on the fact that he loves the game and people will pay him tens of millions of dollars to play. If people kept handing you millions…would you quit?

179. dwallym says: Jul 24, 2011 11:53 AM

By the way…who is the guy in the picture…cause that ain’t Brett Favre!

180. innerlign says: Jul 24, 2011 11:55 AM

How is he not facing a suspension under the NFL code of conduct policy? This is hypocrisy!

181. thetooloftools says: Jul 24, 2011 11:57 AM

Brett isn’t going anywhere except in the yard to mow it.

182. aigraiders says: Jul 24, 2011 12:05 PM

@bigtex

too funny man. My Cowboy friends warned me about JaDumpoff. Unfortunately, too many Raider fans drank the koolaid when Al Davis proclaimed JaChoke the next Raider great.

183. bobbybudnick says: Jul 24, 2011 12:07 PM

Shouldnt this story be filed under turd watch?

184. geo1113 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:12 PM

fatfreddystubbs says:
    Jul 24, 2011 11:18 AM
    _____________________

So to suggests that Kolb could be a successful starting QB in the league is akin to retiring his number?

185. eknirb says: Jul 24, 2011 12:16 PM

1) That’s not him in the photo. How lame.

2) has anyone considered just driving a stake thru his heart? That’s how they do it in the movies. Garlic and a mirror and crucifix also help from what I’ve seen.

186. rugdog100 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:20 PM

I just love that Packer fans will never get to retire his #4, because he’ll never quit playing. He’ll play so long that it’ll make Blanda look like a youngster.

187. 4512dawg4512 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:21 PM

Hahaha, thats a good question. Who in the hell is that guy in the picture?

188. packerzman says: Jul 24, 2011 12:23 PM

dwallym says:Jul 24, 2011 11:53 AM

By the way…who is the guy in the picture…cause that ain’t Brett Favre!

its a pic from a FANTASTIC video on youtube ABOUT brINTS constant waffling on retirement and his jen sterger scandal…made the same way as Lebron James nike commercial..you’ll laugh yourself to tears watching it

That being said..this story has to be a hoax right? JUst like in the movie groundhog day we football fans have to put up with still ANOTHER rumor of this self centered arrogant has been coming back again..thats all we ever hear about is “he can still throw the ball really well..im sure he can but herein lies the problem..he can’t run anymore and has become a stationary target 8 yards deep behind the center! All these posts have a central common theme to them regarding Mike Vick getting hurt..if Phillys offensive line can’t keep the most agile QB in NFL history upright, what the hell to they think will happen to a QB who on EVERY single pass play will be 8 yards deep behind the center waiting for Jackson and Co. to get open on their deep routes. Cmon back brINT..what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than to watch you get carried off the field on a stretcher in a fetal position like you did against the Patriots last year…or was that when you got hurt against the Packers…or was that when you got hurt against the Bills…no WAIT against the Bears..Damn so many injuries (and a league leading 28 interceptions) so little memory!

189. geo1113 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:23 PM

Some have suggested McNabb coming back to Philly. Please stop. It’s not like bringing Trotter back. It would be a bigger circus than bringing Favre to town as a backup. ESPN and NFL Network would love it, but who really needs the the nonsense. The Eagles would be better off keeping Kolb knowing they would lose him in 2012.

190. dangonavyboy says: Jul 24, 2011 12:27 PM

wait the funniest thing about this is not farve maybe joining the ealges..its that they said they could win a superbowl..hahahahahhahahah…i thought this will real..until i got to that part..then i was like oh wait..hahahhahahahhaha..eagles win superbowl..hahahahahahahaha….

191. axespray says: Jul 24, 2011 12:31 PM

Why?
    Does Vick need new tips from Favre on how to Choke in a playoff game with an interception?

192. richm2256 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:57 PM

dwallym says:

——————————————————-

Because Brett Favre has NEVER sent up any “trial balloons” before, to get his name out there for all 32 teams to consider, right?

That would make him an “attention wh@re, and we all know he’s not THAT, right?

193. mrocque1 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:58 PM

Does anyone find it funny that this is apparently coming from a Bears fan? I remember leaving Soldier Field in January watching like 10 to 15 Jay Cutler jerseys being burned. We at least wait till the guy leaves for the arch enemy. Unlike your fair weather fans who are ready to jump at the drop of a knee injury lol.

194. themonkeyman says: Jul 24, 2011 1:06 PM

No one has mentioned it but if Brett does come back for one more year, this is a prefect situation for him. Like tailor made:

1) the offense is the exact offense he played in GB & in Minn. He doesn’t have to & isn’t going to at this point learn a new offense as he had to do with the year with the Jets. He can step right in here when he needs to & play.

2) The team is a contender, which we know is a prerequisite.

3) The team has a guy with a tendency for getting hurt.

4) no “new” coach for him to learn, he & Reid go way back to GB together.

If he does come back for one more year, this is EXACTLY where he’ll end up. The familiarity with the offense & the coach and the fact they will be contenders is why.

195. stairwayto7 says: Jul 24, 2011 1:11 PM

A Schism will be started in the Eagles lockerroom!

196. golonger says: Jul 24, 2011 6:37 PM

..right…..Favre playing BEHIND Vick…….that’s funny.

Makes about as much sense as Manning retiring then coming back to play back-up for Alex Smith…..LOL!

197. Wisconsin77 says: Jul 24, 2011 6:50 PM

richm2256 says: Jul 24, 2011 12:57 PM

Is that sarcasm? If so, please provide evidence that he has in the past.

198. mrphatal says: Jul 24, 2011 10:45 PM

Im My Randy “Macho Man” Savage voice;

Oh Yeah, SHOWBOAT N GRANDSTAND! Thats all Favre is.

Eagles– The Young and the Farveless

199. pigeonpea says: Jul 25, 2011 7:56 AM

imjinbrdgr says:

You know it… Especially when he tosses up for grabs on the final drive for the win, just like he has the last two times he made it to the NFC Championship. The only question remaining is whether will it be Woodson, Williams or Collins who comes down with it this year.

200. kingmj4891 says: Jul 25, 2011 8:56 AM

lastest rumor is that Favre is signing a contract with the Browns to be the back up to Colt McCoy…………. Seneca wants a trade and Dehombra is going to Denver to be the backup to Tebow……

201. spawnsacs says: Jul 25, 2011 11:21 AM

themonkeyman says:
    Jul 24, 2011 1:06 PM

2) The team is a contender, which we know is a prerequisite.

3) The team has a guy with a tendency for getting hurt.

4) no “new” coach for him to learn, he & Reid go way back to GB together.

————————————————–
    This is a joke…right? If not, please see Vikings 2009 and 2010 seasons please. This should be a pretty good example of how your delusional scenario has worked in the past.

Favre-a-maniacs are like crack addicts….take away thier drug, they get crazy.

Philly, please sign Favre, the rest of the NFL needs some more comic relief and images of Favre face down in the turf while an opposing DB takes it the other way.

202. bigbeefyd says: Jul 25, 2011 12:32 PM

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

203. strahan92 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:26 PM

Remember kids, Eagles never win.

204. pacash80 says: Jul 27, 2011 5:13 AM

205. dallasbaby says: Jul 27, 2011 12:22 PM

As a Cowboys fan, I’m laughing maniacally.

As a football fan, I want to choke myself.

206. themonkeyman says: Jul 28, 2011 10:19 PM

@spawnsacs

1st off, not a Favre fan at all. And I couldn’t care less if Philly does sign him.

All I was doing was pointing out, if he did come back, that is the perfect situation for him. The situation favors Favre & that was the whole point.

He’s not going to come back & learn anything new. He isn’t going to come back unless he knows the coach well. He isn’t going to come back unless he has a shot at winning a ring. The starting QB on that team gets hurt with his style of play.

Favre only does things that absolutely benefit Favre & if the drama queen were to entertain another year, this situation would be the ONLY one.

207. mikelitoris1 says: Mar 21, 2012 1:32 AM