DeMaurice Smith: “Our guys stood together, and football is back”

demaurice-smith Getty Images

After leading the NFL players through a lockout that is finally coming to an end, DeMaurice Smith addressed fans on Monday afternoon and said the unity of the players will make the NFL a stronger league.

“Our guys stood together when nobody thought we would,” Smith said. “And football is back because of it.”

Smith mentioned health and safety issues and benefits for retired players as some of the items on which the players won by sticking together, and he attempted to win back the fans who were turned off by the league’s labor unrest.

“To our fans, I know that you love this game as much as I do, and I know that it has been a very long process,” Smith said.

Smith said he’ll make another public address in just a few minutes, this time alongside NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, in a gesture of solidarity on the day the NFL finally reached a deal.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
26 Responses to “DeMaurice Smith: “Our guys stood together, and football is back””
  1. netrunner2k2 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:15 PM

I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

2. footballfanatic3431 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:17 PM

Poppin champagne as I type this.

3. pappysarcasm says: Jul 25, 2011 2:18 PM

Hey De, you and “your guys” are the azzwipes of the world! Instant karma gonna get ya, in the form of injury’s (out of condition players) and failed drug tests (idiot players!). LOL…I can’t wait for this! I bet many, many the unsigned rookies are in tip top shape!…and hungry !

4. comeonnowguys says: Jul 25, 2011 2:19 PM

…Now go away, D.

No, it’s ok, we’ll send you your things. Just go.

5. sportsstar4u says: Jul 25, 2011 2:21 PM

about damn time!

are you ready for some football?

6. oumoonunit says: Jul 25, 2011 2:22 PM

Breaking up a union is not standing together. As a union member from a union family, it makes me sad that you couldn’t stand together to negotiate for labor peace.

7. kingmj4891 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:23 PM

Now that this is over lets all hope we don’t have to see De Smith’s dopey mug anymore!

8. hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 2:24 PM

Delusional to the end, Mo puts a brave upside down smiley face on things.

9. dwoofer says: Jul 25, 2011 2:24 PM

Good for the players! They stayed united and got a good deal.

10. BlackAndGoldAllDay says: Jul 25, 2011 2:25 PM

Any fans who were turned off by the negotiations and lockout are stupid. What a great offseason this was! And we will not miss a single regular season game. Packers/Saints to kick off the season. Boom!

11. tdk24 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:25 PM

Just shows the egos these players have. Players come and go, the Team lives forever! As far as football goes, I will always side with the owners.

12. thephantomstranger says: Jul 25, 2011 2:27 PM

_____________

Actually, football would have been back a lot earlier if the players would have caved.

13. pastorinisflak says: Jul 25, 2011 2:28 PM

I’m glad this is over and we’re ready to get back to playing football but how much of this rollercoaster was really necessary?

14. sj39 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:28 PM

Now can we get rid of Smith and Goodell?

15. ejmat2 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:30 PM

Yeah right Smith. That’s why you had players openly stating they wanted this to be over and it was dragging on too long. The only thing you love is your political career in which you, in reality, put to rest during this process. Not many people will vote for you.

16. sm0key11 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:32 PM

As long as they’re “Standing” on the Football field on Sunday’s this fall I’m Good…

17. hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 2:33 PM

Mo tried to put a positive spin on things, but you could tell from his face he wasn’t happy coming out of that room without his shoes, his wallet, his watch, and his pants.

18. Burritto says: Jul 25, 2011 2:33 PM

Who exactly is it that didn’t think one of the most powerful unions in the entire country would stick together? This guy is nuts.

19. kilo0986 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:37 PM

Oumoonunit shut the hell up, we got.football that’s all that matters

20. ctiggs says: Jul 25, 2011 2:41 PM

FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. blantoncollier says: Jul 25, 2011 2:41 PM

Yeah they stood together–they get to talk about health and safety issues. Because after all the players are getting a lower percentage–something they wouldnt do at the beginning. There is a rookie wage scale–something Dee wouldnt agree too at the beginning. There is no judicial oversight of this agreement, something the NLFPA wanted to continue. And we agreed to all the health and safety issues the NFL put in front of us.

What a waste of time…..

22. capslockkey says: Jul 25, 2011 2:53 PM

Never thought I’d be so happy to hear De speak.

23. dknice says: Jul 25, 2011 3:09 PM

tdk24 says:

=================================

Really? You always side with the owners. The same owners that hold cities hostages for new luxury stadiums to line their already sizable wallets. The ones that make the tax payer fund these building. THe same owners that will move these teams if cities don’t give into demands. Those owners?

Players come and go, owners come and go. Loyalty should be to the team and the city they represent, period.

Let me guess…..you get all your information from Fox News. We have a winner!!!

24. nomoreseasontix says: Jul 25, 2011 3:24 PM

Great, DeMo, great. Now go away…

25. richm2256 says: Jul 25, 2011 4:15 PM

If I never hear the name “De Smith” again, it will be too soon.

Shut the f— up, and go away.

26. purpleman527 says: Jul 25, 2011 7:24 PM

Well, I was wrong.

I continually didn’t believe any of the “deal is close” garbage from March 3, 2011. I thought there would be no NFL in 2011.

I was wrong.