Final answer: No opt out clause in CBA

Anger

After quite a bit of last minute back-and-forth on the topic, NFL Network’s Albert Breer reports there will be no opt-out clause in the upcoming CBA.

That means we’ll have labor peace for a decade, running through the 2021 NFL Draft at the very least.

Ultimately, both sides were reportedly wary of the other opting out. A two-way opt out was discussed, but finally discarded.

And that’s great news for football fans, not to mention media members who have talked enough labor for a lifetime.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
34 Responses to “Final answer: No opt out clause in CBA”
  1. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 25, 2011 11:50 AM

Hopefully this means they’ll also be smart enough to start negotiating the next CBA before the 2021 draft.

But I wont hold my breath.

2. thephantomstranger says: Jul 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Awesome. I’ll be long dead before we have another NFL lockout.

3. grpatriot says: Jul 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Wonderful! Don’t need this again for 10 yrs!

4. capslockkey says: Jul 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Great news.

5. quannumkid says: Jul 25, 2011 11:55 AM

Thank God. When I saw the original double-opt-out report I figured one side or the other would be opting out as soon as they were able.

6. justwinbaby29 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:56 AM

Yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!

Raiders all the way in 2011!!!!!!

7. gdeli says: Jul 25, 2011 11:57 AM

Set a good foundation…marriage, house, etc. and good things should be built/happen.

8. kom2k10 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:59 AM

This is great news, but I’ve heard that players can now get healtcare for life!? Anyone knwo if this is true? I can see that bankrupting the owners!

9. awestcave says: Jul 25, 2011 12:00 PM

GOOD

10. dryheaveone says: Jul 25, 2011 12:01 PM

This could be the best news of all, TEN WHOLE YEARS before we have to go through this CRAP again…..HIP-HIP-HOORAY!

11. dprouse says: Jul 25, 2011 12:01 PM

Sounds like Kessler and some of the other NFLPA hardliners wanted the opt out as a face saving concession. Good for the owners for sticking to their guns. For all the talk of the owners making last minute changes, the opt out was, in fact, a last minute change being sought by the PA, and not a minor one.

12. uclabruininstlouis says: Jul 25, 2011 12:02 PM

I’d love to lock out all the mess I’ve read about for the last four months and read JUST about football. It’s getting close.

13. drbob117 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:03 PM

Good, now both sides have to live with what they chose to do today, and we don’t have to live with millionaires fighting with billionaires anytime soon.

14. sippindasyzurp says: Jul 25, 2011 12:05 PM

Green Bay here I come… Got my tickets,Nov 14th Monday night vs Minnesota… Can’t wait!!

15. bigdawg32 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:05 PM

I think Lord Favre must have been negotiating. “yes, we have a deal!”…”no, I changed my mind, no deal.” “Ok, maybe I said we had a deal, but that’s just speculation.”

16. ravens26 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:05 PM

Glad they got this one right!!

17. derekjetersmansion says: Jul 25, 2011 12:05 PM

@ kom2k10

That won’t happen. Less hitting in practice probably equals less concussions.

Plus it’s really only the linemen who really need it. Although, everyone gets surgery.

It’s also a choice.

They get so much revenue from the networks that I doubt it would bankrupt them, at least in the immediate future.

18. greenbaypeckers says: Jul 25, 2011 12:10 PM

Good, by the time this is over I’ll have 9 years until retirement and every player on the bengals will be behind bars.

19. deadeye says: Jul 25, 2011 12:11 PM

So the owners got their way? Gee, I thought it was a deal breaker…

20. freedomispopular says: Jul 25, 2011 12:14 PM

@kom2k10
    You can get healthcare for life too. Just ask your government.

21. pftstory says: Jul 25, 2011 12:16 PM

So no opt out. No Vincent Jackson specials.

What is different in what the players voted on today vs. what the owners presented to them on Thursday?

They get the $320 million?

22. jw731 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:16 PM

why are no pft ‘journalists” there?……..most here can afford a flight….after all it’s your livlehood………..right?

23. frankgarrett says: Jul 25, 2011 12:18 PM

Who says there will be a NFL in 10 years ??? Considering how this Country is Failing

24. nyjetsforlife says: Jul 25, 2011 12:19 PM

“who wouldnt want another lockout in 10 years” ……..says de smith

25. notthekiller says: Jul 25, 2011 12:22 PM

Honestly, I think both sides are horrible. I understand getting a fair deal, but I have ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPATHY for either side. Owners are soo rich most of us cannot fathom there wealth. The players only care about themselves not each other. If the players cared about one another, then why not hurry the process to help out the undrafted players get into camp sooner so they could possible earn a roster spot?

26. itsmammoth says: Jul 25, 2011 12:23 PM

Nnamdi to Dallas.

Mhmm. ;)

27. title13xtown says: Jul 25, 2011 12:24 PM

@kom2k10

Won’t bankrupt owners….it will bankrupt us with $300 replica jerseys,$50 parking,$25 beers and $400 end zone seats…..

Owners and players will keep sending us the bill until we walk away.

28. hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 12:24 PM

Commissioner Goodell reassured the players that while there was no “opt out clause” for them this year, “there is a Santa Claus.”.

29. b7p19 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:38 PM

@thephantomstranger –

I’m not real sure what to make of all the “thumbs up” you got for declaring that you will soon be dead…hhmmmm

30. thephantomstranger says: Jul 25, 2011 12:45 PM

@b7p19 -

Combo platter Packer fans who wish my untimely demise and smart people like yourself who appreciate my uncommon wit.

31. aqua4ever04 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:01 PM

Today, ladies and gentleman, is the start of the Dolphins run to the Super Bowl. Everyone else, bow down. And the Jets, can suck it.

32. endzonezombie says: Jul 25, 2011 1:06 PM

“And that’s great news for football fans, not to mention media members who have talked enough labor for a lifetime…”

I wish it was ” spread enough false rumors for a lifetime”, but we know that’s not the case.

33. skins359 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:21 PM

touchdownroddywhite says:
    Jul 25, 2011 11:50 AM
    ———————————–
    Roger: Y’know who I think could handle that problem?

DeSmith: Who?

Roger: Future Roger & Future DeSmith.

DeSmith: Totally.

34. imopen7 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:33 PM

Cool. Is anyoned worried that tattoo terrell pryor will be affected if they dont have a new CBA for 2021?