Jets immediately refund employees for lockout losses

Woody+Johnson+P0ecqxaJrpJm Getty Images

In addition to the fiery speech given by coach Rex Ryan to the Jets organization on Monday, owner Woody Johnson had something to say that made the employees feel even better.

As previously reported, Johnson said that employees would receive their lost lockout wages immediately.

How immediate is immediate?  Per a source who was in the room, Johnson said, “When you leave this meeting, the money will be in your accounts.”

That’s pretty damn immediate.

Here’s hoping the other teams that cut employee pay move almost as immediately.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
39 Responses to “Jets immediately refund employees for lockout losses”
  1. lucky5934 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:25 AM

It’s like Christmas in July! Congrats to the Jets for leading the way with this correct path of resolution. I sincerely hope all teams follow suit.

2. goldeelox says: Jul 25, 2011 11:26 AM

Now, that is actually classy.

3. AlanSaysYo says: Jul 25, 2011 11:27 AM

Yes, that was the right thing to do. But I hope Woody wasn’t expecting a round of applause or anything. Those employees had already earned that money.

4. johnnyb216 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:29 AM

Why did they cut it in the first place? Was it just to apply pressure to the players?

5. bdawk20 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:30 AM

Not surprising that Rex would give a fiery speech to help get Jets employees back on their FEET.

6. abp3377 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:30 AM

even thought it was the right thing to do, I still hate the jets.

7. damcghee says: Jul 25, 2011 11:30 AM

What are you trying to do make me a J E T S fan….
    Good Job!

8. lucky5934 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:31 AM

AlanSaysYo,

You are correct… but the Jets have a history of saying they are going to do something and then never follow up… You know… like say they will make the SuperBowl the last two years?

9. bennprince says: Jul 25, 2011 11:33 AM

How anyone can work or root for this organization is beyond me. For an owner to even consider stopping payments on 150 families and devastating their lives is beyond comprehensible. Combined they probably make less than Vernon Gholston in a year. Sickening…

10. bpjensen says: Jul 25, 2011 11:33 AM

Nice Woody, now refund me the last 4 months of my life the owners and players have taken from me.

11. thephantomstranger says: Jul 25, 2011 11:33 AM

I don’t understand why they had to cut employee pay in the first place when there wasn’t going to be any revenue coming in at that time anyway. The Vikings didn’t cut employee pay and they are among the lowest in revenue.

12. beecee71 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:35 AM

As a Jets fan this disgusts me. Not that they gave them back the money, but that they used their employees as a pawn by even cutting salaries when no revenue was lost. Hopefully they were given their money back with interest.

13. prior0knowledge says: Jul 25, 2011 11:37 AM

What fiery speech? Where is the link to it?

14. Spencer says: Jul 25, 2011 11:37 AM

Notice how the best franchises treated their people right and didn’t cut anyone’s pay through this whole thing? Not sure why the Jets are being congratulated, but okay.

15. ampats says: Jul 25, 2011 11:38 AM

The money should have never been withheld. I’m sure the Johnson family made many sacrifices during the lockout like their employees.

16. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jul 25, 2011 11:39 AM

Teams never should have held back from the regular employees anyway. What B.S. that was. Especially since the teams weren’t really missing any revenues yet and still got their season ticket money!!!

17. hunst009 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:43 AM

Wow, how generous of him. Here you go, the money that you earned the last few months that I greedily kept from you is now in your accounts. No hard feelings right? This is crazy that he gets any positive press from this. The owners knew that this was coming and should have planned accordingly. Even small market teams like the packers didn’t make these cuts. They would have only done so if revenue was lost, which still hasn’t happened, and the cuts would have started at the top first. Those making the most. Disgusting that this gets any press at all. It should be a given.

18. hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 11:50 AM

“When you leave this meeting, the money will be in your accounts, and I’ll still respect you in the morning.”.

19. horsecore says: Jul 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Damn, I wish my employer would pay me back the furlough time I was forced to take.

20. melonnhead says: Jul 25, 2011 11:52 AM

The right and classy thing would have been to not cut their pay in the first place.

21. chargerdillon says: Jul 25, 2011 11:58 AM

Class act by Woody Johnson, nuff said

22. gdeli says: Jul 25, 2011 12:03 PM

damn that guy is efficient! I gotta copy that. being a transplanted New yorker here in MN I can say I would definetly be a jets fan over the giants if I were still in the big apple rather than our little apple. That said I do not miss the traffic there(my father’s commute from new city to MSG was 1hr 15-1 hr 30 minutes each way-ouch! here 15 minutes) and hopefully we will build a great team again here with a new stadium deal that doesn’t screw the taxpayers over.

23. doe22us says: Jul 25, 2011 12:04 PM

okay.. so why did they hold the money in the first place?
    when it was quite clear they had it..

24. hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 12:07 PM

“Refund lost wages”. Wow. Not like Vegas. What gets taken to Vegas, stays in Vegas.

25. deadeye says: Jul 25, 2011 12:12 PM

Good for the Jets and their employees.

26. zaggs says: Jul 25, 2011 12:15 PM

if they were as classy as the team they share the stadium with, they wouldn’t have to issue refunds.

27. granadafan says: Jul 25, 2011 12:22 PM

Other teams should do the same thing.

28. hunst009 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:22 PM

horsecore says: Jul 25, 2011 11:52 AM

No furlough was taken. Just pay cuts!!!

29. cup1981 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:27 PM

Did Rexy already guarantee a Super Bowl trip this year?

30. jpb12 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:31 PM

Class act? How about not laying them off in the first place?

31. frankhad says: Jul 25, 2011 12:41 PM

I really wish we could find out just what the total amount was. It so very hard to believe cutting the pay of loyal, rank-and-file was ever anything more than a ploy to convey an illusion of hardship to the court. Just how much did the Jets ‘save’ over these past few months while imposing that hardship on their employees? And what percentage of the total Jets budget did it represent? Hard to believe the Jets saved that much. I’d like to see an actual accounting.

32. dussman12 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:45 PM

It was dumb to cut salaries in the first place, the Jets or any other teams giving the money back doesnt deserve credit, teams giving it back quickly deserve some recognition, but teams that wont pay back employee’s deserve to be punished

33. aflguy says: Jul 25, 2011 12:50 PM

Classy my ass!! Isnt’t that ahole johnson one of the richest guys in America?

They picked on the little guy – Geez I don’t remember the Krafts making the same cuts.

34. 1bigtex says: Jul 25, 2011 1:04 PM

Why in hell do we have people giving props to Johnson for correcting something that many didn’t do to begin with? For goodness sake folks, even Al Davis didn’t cut employee pay and the Raiders barely draw flies to their home games.

35. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jul 25, 2011 1:13 PM

Class act?? Are you kidding me? A class act would have been to not actually deduct the money in the first place until the lockout actually caused games to be missed.

36. joe6606 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:16 PM

Plus interest??

didn’t think so…..

37. PFTiswhatitis says: Jul 25, 2011 1:16 PM

How can you give them kudos for this move when they should never have taken any employees pay in the first place? The Jets suck as an a organization and a team and always will.

38. kellyb9 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:23 PM

You can call them classy if you want, but it would’ve been infinitely classier if they hadn’t done this in the first place.

39. delshofner says: Jul 25, 2011 1:41 PM

Quick! Let’s form a wall and trip up the gunner delivering the checks!