Latest Brees e-mail suggests full free agency could start Tuesday

nfl_a_brees_sy_576 AP

Saints quarterback Drew Brees has spent plenty of time composing e-mails to teammates of late.  His most recent message, a copy of which we have obtained, suggests that full free agency could open as soon as Tuesday.

Here’s the full text of the message.

“As has been the case with this entire process, it looks like the details and schedule has changed for training camp and free agency,” Brees writes.  “This is the latest although I cannot confirm anything at this point.  I just want to make you aware as to what is being discussed so nothing catches you by surprise.

“Free Agency - It now looks like free agency will begin at noon on Tuesday and it will be open free agency.  There will be no 3 day grace period for teams to sign their own players.  It will be open for anyone to sign anywhere.
“Training Camp - It looks like the NFL is trying to force teams into camp on time.  This would move us to a report date of Thursday, July 28.   We would have physicals, conditioning, and meetings on this day.  The day before would be a travel day and the hotel would be open that night for guys to check in as well as physicals but nothing mandatory until Thursday.
“I will keep you updated with the latest information.  Unfortunately, it tends to change very quickly.  Just stay prepared for anything.”
That last message applies to all of us, really.  As the craziest week in recent memory comes to a conclusion, an even crazier week could be starting.
Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Latest Brees e-mail suggests full free agency could start Tuesday”
  1. icelovinbrotha215 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:14 AM

This whole season is gunna be interesting to watch. It will all be rushed. Both parties have only themselves to blame. That’s what the LOVE of money will get ya.

2. whitetail28 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:14 AM

We dont like you Drew Brees, Payton Manning, Tom Brady, Vincent Jackson, and company. too late. Theres players out there we care about and are relevant to us. You guys pushed it too far and I will boo for you every time I hear your name. Congrats… Youve earned it. You guys chose De Smith over us, have fun with that………..

3. Soulman45 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:14 AM

Now I got my feel good story this one might be for the year.

4. cotts1 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:16 AM

AWESOME!!!!

5. MisterDeol says: Jul 25, 2011 12:17 AM

im ready!

6. phillychzstk2012 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:20 AM

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

7. 4evrnyt says: Jul 25, 2011 12:21 AM

For fraks sake we’ve waited this long how ’bout we just wait 12 more hours and find out the actual details rather then trying to decipher crap from one players email.

8. hasselbeck8 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:23 AM

This week is going to be fun. Hope my phone is ready for constant refreshing of Twitter and PFT!

9. illyistic1 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:25 AM

football finally!

10. madenatewell says: Jul 25, 2011 12:39 AM

I’m excited but at the sane time it’s going to suck having no grace period for the hometown guys…

11. whitetail28 says: Jul 25, 2011 12:41 AM

screw drew

12. esg6string says: Jul 25, 2011 12:46 AM

Believe it when I see it although this is a lot better than the previous time line. It doesn’t make any sense to be starting training camps the same day free agency starts. They need to find a way to do it before.

Have teams been talking to their own players yet in terms of resigning them? It sounded like that was the plan they just had to wait to put pen to paper when the players agreed or recertified or whatever.

I’m not going to boo Brady Manning etc… because they signed a piece of paper. The owners are just as much to blame for this BS. They ended the last CBA and locked out the players. They have an equal share of the blame IMO. Now Jackson and maybe to a lesser extent Mankins I have a problem with for asking for something for themselves while not doing ANYTHING to get this deal resolved. I don’t care who Vincent Jackson goes on to play for I will route against him.

13. hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 12:46 AM

With permanent damage to both shoulders, Brees has had to learn to write using his mouth.

14. hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 12:53 AM

This is about when you would have expected it to be done. Going in. There wasn’t much advantage on either side to conclude the deal prior to this.

15. goforthanddie says: Jul 25, 2011 12:58 AM

“I will keep you updated with the latest information. Unfortunately, it tends to change very quickly. Just stay prepared for anything.”

If it’s changing that much that fast, try shutting up until you’re back in business, then letting the league do the talking. You know, since it’s their job.

Brees is rapidly becoming a disingenuous, self-important ass.

16. flyerdu2011 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:04 AM

I wanna share a good news to you.My best friend ,she just has announced her wedding with a millionaire man who is a celebrity !they met via
    Celebmingle.C óM ..it is the largest and best club for celebrity and their admirers to chat online. …You do not have to be rich or famous. ,but you can meet one , It’s worthy a try!

17. schuy7 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:04 AM

Phinally Phootball

18. GG Eden says: Jul 25, 2011 1:04 AM

There’s still the issue with the new proposed rules regarding illegal hits, QBs being untouchable in the act of throwing, receivers being untouchable in the act of catching, etc.

People have been too focused on the lockout and not enough has been discussed and argued AGAINST these new rules.

People so desperate for the NFL to return they’ll be mollified into accepting the new rules as part of the future, some even embracing them. But to me and many others it will ruin the game.

19. GG Eden says: Jul 25, 2011 1:06 AM

Mike, has there been ANY word on whether as part of the new CBA, the players have argued for a voice in the rules committee?

20. goawayeverybody says: Jul 25, 2011 1:11 AM

Hey whitetail, bitter much?

Anyway, I’m ready for some football. Who’s with me????

21. cowboysfan18 says: Jul 25, 2011 1:12 AM

This shortened free agency period is.going to be a feeding frenzy. CAN’T WAIT!!!

22. mattbydlon says: Jul 25, 2011 1:56 AM

Did Brees write this whole message with the pen in his mouth like that?

23. chiefsmoke2424 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:12 AM

I like how he says the NFL is trying to “force” teams to camp.

You wanna get paid? Then ‘effin play.

Next he will email that the players should hold out until they get only one padded practice a month………….

I’ve lost a lot of repsect for some of the so-called “elite” players through this whole ordeal.

24. revolution22 says: Jul 25, 2011 2:25 AM

Brees, and his choosing of sides is just one MORE reason I can boo the Aints come Monday night football against The Champions!

25. ilovefoolsball says: Jul 25, 2011 2:37 AM

If I read one more “I had a lot of respect for Brees before all of this” BS-bandwagon-hatred comments I’m gonna burn the bandwagon down. Mob mentality shows the lack of creativity and intelligence in people. Come up with something new like…all this time off with the lockout has given me time to play with my puppy. Yeah, I’ll give a thumbs up to that!

26. andyreidisfat says: Jul 25, 2011 3:01 AM

whitetail28 says:
    Jul 25, 2011 12:14 AM

Yes your right the main concern of those players should have been YOU. That right YOU sir are the center of the universe. Perhaps you should take your mouth off you moms nipple for just a min. and realize YOU are not the center of everyone else’s life.

27. seabike1234 says: Jul 25, 2011 3:03 AM

@Whitetail28

I would like to say “well said” but you didn’t saying anything. I am fan too, but I would be shamed to be in the same stadium as you…

28. pnut87 says: Jul 25, 2011 3:04 AM

Great news! Just keep in mind, everybody, that this season might not be a stellar as we all might want to think. Because of this lockout, player practices haven’t been as focus or numerous as they would have been. So players aren’t going to be as familiar with each other or the plays called come game time; at least not until later on in the season. That and injuries in general are going to be up. I expect a lot of pulled hammies.

29. 206eaglesfan says: Jul 25, 2011 3:08 AM

whitetail28,

I’m sure “Payton Manning” is absolutely heartbroken.

30. CKL says: Jul 25, 2011 3:10 AM

“Trying to FORCE us into TC” eh?
    How is that language any less of a “#PRplay” (to quote Heath Evans) move than anything the owners displayed by voting on the deal on Thurs.?

Since there has yet to my knowledge been anything revealed as an “underhanded bamboozling term/terms slipped into” the agreement (as per multiple players’ Twitter accusations), it’s hard to sympathize with them on that particular issue. Some of them haven’t been shy about letting it all out publicly so I think it’s safe to assume if there was a REAL issue (this whole timeline thing smacks of testosterone excess), IMO we’d know.

31. ndingeldein says: Jul 25, 2011 3:37 AM

“It looks like the NFL is trying to force teams into camp on time.”

Priceless…pretty much speaks for itself.

32. jjrs89 says: Jul 25, 2011 4:11 AM

I’m ready to forgive and forget… let’s play some football!

33. jcg23 says: Jul 25, 2011 4:24 AM

Love how he is saying the NFL is gonna FORCE teams into camp. Keep throwing those punches dirt bag err I mean DB

34. leftysmoke says: Jul 25, 2011 4:51 AM

Brees is a douche bag. Never did like him and his sense of self-importance is laughable. The guy wins a Super Bowl and thinks he is the GOAT. Regardless, this is the best news I’ve heard thus far. I cannot WAIT for Free Agency. It’s going to be a good week. *knock on wood*

GO COLTS!

35. gjshihadeh says: Jul 25, 2011 5:24 AM

If the deal gets done Monday and full free agency begins Tuesday, prepare for the most exciting week of NFL action in history. Sleep deprivation will most definitely be setting in. Get the show on the road!

36. littlefoot32 says: Jul 25, 2011 5:26 AM

We’ve had the story flipped on us soooo many times lately, I think it’s only fair they start getting the same treatment.

37. december77 says: Jul 25, 2011 5:34 AM

Are you ready for some football?!?!

38. sakatak says: Jul 25, 2011 5:42 AM

This coming crazy week is the kind I enjoy. After a long and frustrating off season, we can all get back to the awesome game of football. My guess is that things will be back to normal by the time the pre-season is over.

39. pppath says: Jul 25, 2011 5:47 AM

I just got through reading ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski’s latest article on the lockout, titled “Yes! Knucklehead season almost over.”

So refreshing to see an article that puts the blame on the owners and Goodell (the knuckleheads being the owners and Goodell). So true. Not that he harps on that point, but he makes it known what his feelings are.

This site use to be a site where the main journalist knew that the fault of the lockout was with the owners and not the players. However, the player hater mongers took over this site and eventually the journalist caved. I guess you’ve got to be a little bit of a politician on a site like this and succumb to your followers views. For survival sake.

Hopefully, after the lockout, those good people who use to post on this site will come back once the hatefull diatribes of the Union/Players haters have nothing more to talk about.

40. mjgasper177 says: Jul 25, 2011 5:53 AM

yes, lets get it on fellows..i am tired of doing mock fantasy drafts not knowing what uniform some of these guys will be wearing

41. qj1984 says: Jul 25, 2011 6:54 AM

There is absolutely no way that the owners agreed to that.

42. nicbsbll2 says: Jul 25, 2011 7:08 AM

“Training Camp – It looks like the NFL is trying to force teams into camp on time. ”

So the NFL is “forcing” you to actually do your job when it is suppose to be done, huh? What are you going to do about this, refuse to sign until you get an even longer summer vacation?

43. axespray says: Jul 25, 2011 7:09 AM

so this nightmare is finally over?

whew!
    I was just about to go on a Kenta Kobashi Chest Choppin’ Frenzy up in hurr’!

44. raidersmojo says: Jul 25, 2011 7:45 AM

“This use to be a nice site, with contemplative and diverse views, but now it is just a site full of tea partiers expressing there hatred for those who play the game. ”

Cry much? I did not realize if you were upset with the players for a money grab you were instantly a tea party follower. One of the most asinine things I have read on here in awhile.

Thanks for the laugh.

45. crubenst says: Jul 25, 2011 9:02 AM

If free agency starts Tuesday, then us fans will feel like we’ve gotten what we wanted out the deal too. TUESDAY! I CAN’T WAIT ANY LONGER!

46. mvtrucking says: Jul 25, 2011 10:57 AM

hobartbaker says: Jul 25, 2011 12:46 AM

——————————————————

Permanent in both shoulders? Maybe so but the guy has thrown for more yards since becoming a Saints than any QB in the history of the NFL! (In that time frame) Not to mention a Lombardi trophy & 2 NFC Championship games and several other playoff wins. Not bad for a guy with bad shoulders huh ? Knucklehead..

47. philyeagles5 says: Jul 25, 2011 11:07 AM

whitetail28 says:
    Jul 25, 2011 12:14 AM
    ==============================

lol. he chose de smith over us? de smith is the main man that represents the players. that doesnt even make sense. people need to stop thinking this is fans game and think we should have any say.

48. ilovefoolsball says: Jul 25, 2011 2:46 PM

leftysmoke says:
    Jul 25, 2011 4:51 AM

GO COLTS!
    _______
    A colts fan doesn’t like Drew Brees? SHOCKER!!!
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that you didn’t vote for Tracy Porter as your favorite player too hey?