Ravens line up an undrafted rookie running back

Miami v Virginia Getty Images

Plenty of Ravens fans hope that the decision to cut veterans Willis McGahee, tight end Todd Heap, and receiver Derrick Mason means that the Ravens will make a play for a guy like cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

Their first transaction will be far less sexy.

Per a league source, the Ravens will sign University of Miami running back Damien Berry on Tuesday morning.

Berry rushed for 899 yards in 2010 and 616 in 2009.  He had an impressive per-carry average of 6.6 yards in 2009.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Ravens line up an undrafted rookie running back”
  1. trbowman says: Jul 25, 2011 9:08 PM

Solid signing.

I wonder where Graig Cooper ends up

2. cereal blogger says: Jul 25, 2011 9:08 PM

Ya Mon, the U Mon

3. jeepin08 says: Jul 25, 2011 9:17 PM

Damien Berry could not possibly replace Willis McGahee. Never heard of this guy ???

4. atmedic8daily says: Jul 25, 2011 9:30 PM

No no no no, PFT said these guys are screwed.

5. mountcody says: Jul 25, 2011 9:38 PM

incredible signing dude is a monster. Great talent coming out of Miami whose numbers dont translate to his game on the field. Him and ray rice will be dangerous. youve never heard of him because you dont follow football he played a considerable amount this year at Miami. preciate the comment though jeepin.

6. nomoreseasontix says: Jul 25, 2011 9:49 PM

Ballsy move… No risk. I like it.

7. rankide says: Jul 25, 2011 9:56 PM

This is good news for the Ravens. I was hoping the Skins would make a play for him or Coop! Both have superstar potential.

8. wmbucscoach says: Jul 25, 2011 10:18 PM

This just in…..The ravens will still play second fiddle to the Steelers

9. robcypher says: Jul 25, 2011 10:25 PM

Those college numbers don’t look too impressive to me, unless he was part of a 2-RB system. This sounds like a practice squad player for now.

10. trickbunny says: Jul 25, 2011 11:27 PM

No Heap, Mason, or Gregg- but hey- Damien Berry.

Somehow, I’m not exactly filled with hope for the Ravens.

11. pittman2052 says: Jul 26, 2011 5:10 AM

I believe Berry is going to make a great name for himself. I watched him at Miami and he is just the type of back the Ravens need. I am sure he will be pushing Rice for the starting spot soon enough. If you don’t believe me, watch some of his highlights. He is a hard physical runner and he should be able to replace McGahee just fine.

12. walkedintoabar says: Jul 26, 2011 6:19 AM

running backs are a dime a dozen and the ravens got one for cheeper

13. psuravens19 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:42 AM

Not a fan of The U, but I have to say I like this signing. Of the few games that I saw him play, I liked what I saw. He isn’t going to be the answer right away, but has potential to be a very productive NFL RB.

For all the Ravens fans complaining about all the moves; please take a deep breath. I’m sure Ozzie and Company has a plan and their next moves are already planned out.

Wait until FA is over before you jump off the Bay Bridge.

14. supashug says: Jul 26, 2011 11:44 AM