DeAngelo Williams to meet with Panthers Tuesday, wants to re-sign

DeAngelo Williams AP

Teams don’t have an exclusive 72-hour window to talk with their own free agents this week, which hurts the Panthers as much as anyone.

They want to bring back defensive end Charles Johnson and running back DeAngelo Williams, arguably two of the top five names on the market.  Williams, for one, sounds like he doesn’t want to go anywhere.  He’ll meet with Panthers G.M. Marty Hurney on Tuesday.

“I honestly and truly want to stay a Carolina Panther and they’re doing their part of keep me a Carolina Panther,” Williams said Monday via Steve Reed of the Gaston Gazette. “So I’m very excited about that. Carolina gets the first stab at me.”

It sounds like the Panthers are serious about bringing Williams back.

“[Offensive coordinator Rob] Chudzinski said he has a big role for me and Jonathan to play this year and I’m pretty excited about that,” Williams said. “They even have packages where they will put me and Jonathan in at the same time, so it’s going to be pretty cool.”

Perhaps Williams’ old coach John Fox won’t get a chance to sign him.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
13 Responses to “DeAngelo Williams to meet with Panthers Tuesday, wants to re-sign”
  1. broncobeta says: Jul 26, 2011 8:30 AM

DeAngelo is in for a pay day.

2. sterilizecromartie says: Jul 26, 2011 8:39 AM

Jeez, as a fantasy player I can’t stand to see two stud RBs play in a timeshare on a bad team. Go to Miami, DeAngelo!!

3. bigcountry49 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:43 AM

I’m not going to lie, I was sure DeAngelo would leave. I guess getting rid of Fox was the best thing we could possibly have done. Really looking forward to seeing those packages with Smash and Dash on the field together.

4. southcakpanther says: Jul 26, 2011 9:00 AM

Would love to see him stay here in Charlotte.

5. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 26, 2011 9:01 AM

I’m amazed they’re willing to spend the money it’ll take to re-sign DeAngelo Williams, I really am. I would think considering the unexpected success of Mike Goodson last season and Jonathan Stewart’s potential they would use that money towards landing a stud WR for Cam to throw to or some help at OL.

Instead, they’re honestly going to try and re-sign a 28 year-old, oft-injured RB. Amazing…

6. madenatewell says: Jul 26, 2011 9:06 AM

Yeah buddy! Double trouble 2011!

7. rippedoffhead says: Jul 26, 2011 9:07 AM

Sharing to wordload with Stew will do nothing but extend his career tremendously… and technically, the more years you play, the more money you make…

8. MichaelEdits says: Jul 26, 2011 9:30 AM

The only reason I bash the Panthers so much in these comments is because they’re my home team, I love them, and I want them to do well. I am thrilled that Williams is giving the Panthers “first stab” at him. I would not be so thrilled if he gave Ray Lewis first stab at him.

9. catman72 says: Jul 26, 2011 9:42 AM

But, but, but I thought he wanted to play for a winner like Miami… LOL

When will folks learn that guys like playing here in Carolina because we treat people right who treat us right (looking at you Peppers, Jenkins)

10. CKL says: Jul 26, 2011 11:03 AM

DeAngelo is good people from what I know. I hope he gets what his heart desires, whatever it is.

11. roswelldk says: Jul 26, 2011 11:41 AM

cam newton, deAngelo williams, and jonathan stewart all in the backfield at the same time… thats going to be one explosive offense

12. bigmikeyreturns says: Jul 26, 2011 6:48 PM

Weapons in the backfield require a highly-capable O-line. We’ve got some capable guys up there, but they have to stay healthy, and depth is an issue. Still, it seems that either Stewart or Williams are often banged-up, so maybe it is smart to have a deep stable in the backfield. Decisions, decisions.

13. roadierob says: Jul 26, 2011 10:47 PM

“broncobeta” You’re an idiot, if you knew DeAngelo, which i do..you would know that he is not in it for the money. He truely loves the game, the fans and being a Carolina Panther. I don’t blame him for looking at options to better his life, but he is not in it soley for the money!!!