Plaxico, Giants have mutual interest

-2 Reuters

Previously, it appeared that receiver Plaxico Burress was interested in every NFL team except the Giants.  Now, it appears he’s interested in the Giants, too.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Burress is indeed interested in the Giants.  That comes in response to a report from Adam Schefter that the Giants are discussing Plaxico’s possible return.

On Monday, Giants co-owner John Mara said that the team “certainly . . . will talk” about pursuing Burress.  Coach Tom Coughlin reportedly expressed a willingness to engage in those discussions.

It all seems a bit bizarre, especially since Burress was fined upwards of 50 times during his final season with the team.  Then there’s the fact that he shot himself in the leg, which surely contributed to the Giants’ inability to get beyond the divisional round that year in the postseason.

In a June interview with Stephen A. Smith of ESPN, Burress ruled out playing for Coughlin again.  “My situation in New York, me and my coach had an ambivalent relationship to say the least,” Burress told Smith.  “Some things that I didn’t agree with, with the way he went about things.  And the only way to show my way was to just rebel.  Is that who I am?  No. . . .

“I kind of felt it was like:  I’m the coach, you are the player.  It doesn’t matter what you have to say.  You just do what I tell you to do. . . .  This is not college.  This is professional sports.  If you can’t sit down and go talk to a man that you are busting your tail for, not even have the respect for anything that you have to say, like I said, the only thing I knew then was to rebel.”

Burress has since explained that his top priority is a coach with whom the relationship wouldn’t be ambivalent.  “Well, the head coach is going to be first and foremost,” Burress told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio.  “It’s going to be somebody to where, well, you know, he has an open door policy, I can walk in his office and sit down and talk to him whether it’s about football or life or whatever that may be.”

So what’s really going on here?  It could be that the Giants are showing interest in Burress in order to avoid a backlash from the fans in the event Burress goes elsewhere (like Philadelphia) and plays at a high level again.  And it could be that Burress welcomes that interest, even if he’s not really interested, because it could drive up the interest of other teams.

Either way, it’s all very intriguing.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Plaxico, Giants have mutual interest”
  1. daburgher says: Jul 26, 2011 7:43 PM

Plaxico is interested in joining ______ (insert any one of 32 football teams)

2. jm11890 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:44 PM

im all for this as a giants fan

3. steelcity09 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:44 PM

COME BACK TO THE BURGH PLEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. phillychzstk2012 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:45 PM

uhhh he’s interested in any team that will consider signing him.

5. 2mannings1cup says: Jul 26, 2011 7:46 PM

Plax is interested in a paycheck…

6. tsimnuj99 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:46 PM

Integrity doesn’t pay the bills.

7. touchdownroddywhite says: Jul 26, 2011 7:47 PM

It’s odd, and I’d bet my months salary it’s not happening.

8. xinellum says: Jul 26, 2011 7:48 PM

Plaxico should give a great thanks to Mike Vick. Because of his seemingly successful rehabilitation, Vick has become the poster child for hiring the latest NFL prisoner. If the Giants believe that Plaxico will be as successful both on the field and off as Vick, I think they need to realize we are dealing with two seperate situations and that Plaxico’s history is quite different Good Luck Mara, you’re gonna need it.

9. cowboysfan18 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:48 PM

He should want to go to ANY team that will sign him. He’s 34, not some 24 year old up and coming stud. Not in football shape and rusty as hell on route running and learning a playbook.

10. jakek2 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:50 PM

Come on Mike. You’re better than that. If fans won’t backlash over a 140 day threat to take away their one and only love, they surely won’t backlash if an old, washed-up hasbeen signs with a division rival.

Moreover, if you haven’t been paying attention, free agency is moving fast and furiously. I’m sure Reese doesn’t have time to manufacture feigned interest for Burress.

If the report is accurate, the mutual interest has to be genuine.

11. waldoampere says: Jul 26, 2011 7:50 PM

Considering that he and Coughlin hated each other, and that he ruined their 2008 season, if this actually comes about, they deserve each other and all the problems that happen.

12. berniemadoffsides says: Jul 26, 2011 7:51 PM

Wow. I’m stunned.

13. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jul 26, 2011 7:52 PM

coughlin may have realized that his team has sucked since plexiglass went to jail. or it could just be a swerve as you intimate. my guess is the latter…

14. chemfootball says: Jul 26, 2011 7:53 PM

I always thought it would be so.

15. ttommytom says: Jul 26, 2011 7:55 PM

The NY Giants organization does not operate based on fan backlash. Every last Giant fan is WELL aware that they are a class organization and thus are not second guessed by the majority of fans. They seem to always get it right.

Plax did not throw anyone under the bus. He was actually liked and played with a major injury the year they won it all. He just needed to grow up a bit. I guess he has grown up a bit.

16. skins1976 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:58 PM

Nah…he’s too injury prone. Didn’t he have a leg injury or somethin’….a bullet lodged in there or somethin’ to that effect.

17. jpb12 says: Jul 26, 2011 7:58 PM

Giants are showing interest cause they’re interested.
    Who has time for the other crap right now?

18. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 26, 2011 7:58 PM

Why would Plaxico want to go back to the Giants???

19. phillyfan4ever says: Jul 26, 2011 7:59 PM

Personally, I think Plax personality fits better with DJax and MV7, i don’t see Plax and Eli having much in common

20. pnut87 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:01 PM

Well that’s interesting…

21. bluefan204 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:21 PM

phillyfan4ever says: Jul 26, 2011 7:59 PM

Except a Super Bowl ring and great chemistry and timing on the field. The only thing he has in common with Vick is prison time served. Plax and Jackson are polar opposites in that Plax doesn’t feel the need to act like a child every time he touches the ball.

What else ya got?

22. strahan92 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:29 PM

Remember kids, Eagles never win.

23. dirtmcgirt24 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:33 PM

xinellum says:
    Jul 26, 2011 7:48 PM

—–

You’re mostly right. Their history is different.

One guy fought through injury and carried a team on his back all the way to a championship, ruining it with a self-imposed mistake. The other has won nothing and intentionally committed heinous federal crimes after wearing out his welcome in Atlanta.

24. thedkexperience51 says: Jul 26, 2011 8:40 PM

This is lunacy. Am I the only person who understands that your 4th reciever MUST play special teams? That player MUST either cover kicks or return them. Plaxico will do neither.

Do I need to remind everyone that…

A) He was declining at 31.
    B) Is now 34.
    C) Just spent time in prison.
    D) Isn’t Mike Vick.
    E) We have 3 more talented recieivers on the team already.
    F) We lost to the Eagles because our kick coverage was awful.

Take the money and spend it on guys who can tackle. We are not the 1989 Houston Oilers and have no need for a 4th “big play” reciever, especially when his ability to make big plays was declining years ago.

Somehow I have the feeling that all Randy Moss needs to do to create interest in him as a free agent is to simply go to prison for a year or two. Then we would all surely expect him to be record setting Randy and not the storm of mediocrity he was last season. My brain hurts.

25. dgreenfi says: Jul 26, 2011 9:46 PM

He is wise to explore offers from all teams to avoid shooting himself in the foot with a bad contract.

26. MichaelEdits says: Jul 26, 2011 10:42 PM

Yes to Plaxico, no to Freaky Tiki. I like it.