Roy Williams on Cowboys cutting him: “I would have done the same thing”

Roy Williams, Malcolm Jenkins AP

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones informed wide receiver Roy Williams on Tuesday that he’s losing his job following two and a half disappointing years with the Cowboys. Williams says he completely understands and even agrees with the decision.

It is a business,” Williams told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “It is what it is. It’s a business. I would have done the same thing.”

The Cowboys gave up first- and third-round picks to acquire Williams from the Lions and gave him a hefty new contract, and Williams totaled just 94 catches for 1,324 yards and 13 touchdowns in 40 games in Dallas. Williams knows he fell far short of expectations.

“It wasn’t even close to what I thought it was going to be,” Williams said. “I appreciated the opportunity Mr. Jones gave me. I just a chance to play with three of the best players I have ever seen in Jason Witten, Jay Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware. It was a great opportunity. But it’s over.”

Williams said he’s sure he’ll play somewhere in 2011, but he doesn’t know where.

“I’m still going to play,” Williams said., “We will see what happens. My teammates know what I’m capable of. I don’t think I’m washed up or done. It didn’t work out there. It will work out somewhere.”

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Roy Williams on Cowboys cutting him: “I would have done the same thing””
  1. jjrs89 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:24 AM

Stick a fork in him

2. nedhigginssports says: Jul 27, 2011 7:25 AM

don’t forget they also gave up a 6th. What a laughably awful trade. This is what happens when you have egomaniacs like Jerry Jones, Dan Synder and Mike Brown calling the shots instead of guys who actually know personnel.

3. cowboysfan18 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:32 AM

I am a huge Cowboys fan but the day I heard what we gave for a Detroit WR not named Calvin Johnson, I knew JJ made a horrible decision. I’m just glad he came to grips with his mistake and cut him. Hopefully, we will grab a few players in FA that will be impact players. Nnamdi would be great but I’m not holding my breath. Joseph and a FS would be nice.

4. manofaiki says: Jul 27, 2011 7:33 AM

He actually got his act together last year and put in a good year.

Unfortunately, Dallas was not going to pay $9 mil for a #3 receiver.

5. kingmj4891 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:36 AM

Once again the fans in Detroit thank Mr. Jones and the Cowboys for the Williams trade.

6. p4ever says: Jul 27, 2011 7:36 AM

Did anybody realize that all the owner’s shills (with funny aliases) have disappeared? It’s back to the old users we recognize.

7. 1buckeye76 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:39 AM

Detroit?

8. 2011to2020lions says: Jul 27, 2011 7:40 AM

As a long time Lions fan, I have heard that song b4. good luck, but stay away from Detroit, we are trying to change.

9. postpattern says: Jul 27, 2011 7:42 AM

Another Cowbum.

10. duanethomas says: Jul 27, 2011 7:43 AM

He’s out of gas…..an empty gas can. Jerry will compound this mistake by signing Micheal Huff to a monster contract.

11. kane337 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:47 AM

Poor guy has had a rough summer.

Got cut by the Cowboys and his girlfriend.

12. Norcross says: Jul 27, 2011 7:50 AM

Humility….from a WR? I’m not sure what I believe anymore.

13. gorilladunk says: Jul 27, 2011 7:51 AM

Roy needs to play somewhere in an offensive system that requires no thinking on the fly and only asks him to run slant routes. Otherwise, he’ll stumble over his own feet and be in the wrong place most of the time. Perhaps he has eligibility left at the high school level.

14. broncobeta says: Jul 27, 2011 7:53 AM

Classy move Roy. I’m impressed.

15. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 27, 2011 7:53 AM

Roy Williams was a bust but why would he say I would have done the same thing. Idiot.

16. MichaelEdits says: Jul 27, 2011 7:54 AM

Now the Cowboys can bring back T.O., who just so happens to be a free agent. Joy!

17. drop703 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:55 AM

He could be decent as a #3 receiver….Rams anyone?

18. Exiled1 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:57 AM

Gotta give the guy his props for knowing he stunk up the joint.

Pete Carroll’s building the Bad News Bears up in Seattle. I think they could use some more underachievers.

19. stunzeed5 says: Jul 27, 2011 7:58 AM

RW is a little aloof at times; kinda marches to the beat of a different drum.

But overall a decent #2 and a good person.

On the cheap-n-cheap, wouldn’t mind him in DC.

20. rayvens says: Jul 27, 2011 8:03 AM

————————————————-
    Wat about Romo???…lol

21. irishgary says: Jul 27, 2011 8:09 AM

Guess Williams doesn’t think Romo is great either. Maybe he’s not as dumb as he looks/acts.

22. flik44 says: Jul 27, 2011 8:14 AM

Refreshing.

23. melonnhead says: Jul 27, 2011 8:18 AM

————————————————————–

They’ll more likely go for Weddle or Elam.

24. melonnhead says: Jul 27, 2011 8:22 AM

All of a sudden the kiddies care deeply about what Roy Williams has to say!

25. melonnhead says: Jul 27, 2011 8:26 AM

—————————————————————

I wouldn’t be too giddy if I were you, they’ve still only won 8 games in the last three seasons combined.

26. jw731 says: Jul 27, 2011 8:33 AM

Roy Who?

27. phinheads says: Jul 27, 2011 8:37 AM

Roy Williams signs a 3 year deal with the Cincinattie Bungals

28. bturner032002 says: Jul 27, 2011 8:38 AM

T.O. junior is next

29. smalltownqb says: Jul 27, 2011 8:39 AM

Come to Charlotte Roy. We can use you.

30. alewatcher says: Jul 27, 2011 8:45 AM

eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 27, 2011 7:53 AM

—————–

Um, maybe because even he realizes he didn’t come close to playing up to his contract?

31. biggerballz says: Jul 27, 2011 9:07 AM

“My teammates know what I’m capable of”

That’s the reason you got cut!

32. clintonportisheadd says: Jul 27, 2011 9:13 AM

He would be a good replacement for James “Dropsy” Jones on the Packers if he would take a lower salary to play for a winner and a classy organization (something he never had the chance to do in Detroit or Dallas)

33. mjkelly77 says: Jul 27, 2011 9:14 AM

Has anyone else noticed that all the players and their shills (with funny aliases) have disappeared? It’s back to the old users we recognize, Thanks, owners, for forcing the players to do the right thing and get back to the game. The owners could have crushed the players but were fair with the players to the end.

34. blacktoothgrinn says: Jul 27, 2011 9:34 AM

How was he a good player with the Lions but fell apart with the Cowboys? With Kitna as the QB he has a 1300 yd season, but couldn’t crack 600 yds with Romo throwing to him?
    I’m sure someone could use his services as long as they don’t expect him to be a #1 and he doesn’t want a lot of money. So I see Snyder signing him to a huge contract with a lot of guranteed dollars.

35. philriverslovespenis says: Jul 27, 2011 9:41 AM

melonnhead says:
    Jul 27, 2011 8:26 AM

—————————————————————

————————————————–
    And I’m too lazy to look up the specifics, but Dallas has only won like one more playoff game than the Lions in like the last 15 years or so, so don’t get too giddy yourself. Btw, Lions are definitely on the up and up. Is Dallas rebuilding? Or just content with mediocrity?

36. melonnhead says: Jul 27, 2011 10:07 AM

————————————————————–

Really? You’re going to come back at me with “yeah but you only won one more playoff game than us” (it’s actually two)? I got news for you. The Cowboys have won 3 count ‘em THREE Super Bowls since the Lions won their last playoff game. FIVE since the last playoff game the Lions won before THAT.

Get back to me when the Lions can manage to NOT have ten losing seasons in a row.

37. melonnhead says: Jul 27, 2011 10:11 AM

————————————————————-

He was just never the #1 guy in Dallas. There was TO, then Austin ahead of him. Throw in Witten and he just wasn’t getting many looks.

38. CKL says: Jul 27, 2011 10:13 AM

mjkelly77 says:
    Jul 27, 2011 9:14 AM
    __________________________________
    Well done, I was gonna go OFF on that guy until I scrolled down and saw your turn of the tables. I think BOTH of the types of “shills” are long gone though there were far more player ones IMO. And I am glad they are all gone for both sides because all they did was whine about shills for the other side.

I can’t believe I got all the way down here and no one has made a bad joke about if the Cowboys mailed him his release papers. So I’ll be “that guy” so to speak. :D

39. ehatem says: Jul 27, 2011 10:24 AM

Roy Williams = Freddie Mitchell. So move on, or move out.

40. urlacherbacker says: Jul 27, 2011 10:56 AM

Come on Chicago, at least give this guy a look. He had success with Martz previously. If his heart has really fallen out of his chest then just leave him at the curb…

41. jimmylions says: Jul 27, 2011 11:24 AM

One of the big issues with Roy is that he gives up on routes early if he’s not the primary receiver for the play. That was an issue in Detroit, and caused several interceptions (Kitna through the ball where Williams was supposed to be, but wasn’t).

Can’t say with certainty whether the same thing happened in Dallas, but it sounded like he was still doing the same thing.

42. dallasbaby says: Jul 27, 2011 11:49 AM

Williams’ candor is much appreciated. I just wish we hadn’t given up what we gave up for someone who didn’t really do much for us. Maybe we would have been better off if we had just kept T.O. those 3 years…

43. ademell1 says: Jul 27, 2011 1:14 PM

Too bad Williams will prob sign with CHI to reunite with Martz. The Raiders need him and I mean BAAAD. Raiders have no one with his size that can pose as a redzone threat, especially if they lose Z. Miller. C’mon Roy…would you rather play with one of the pansiest QB’s in the game in Cutler, or dawn the best jersey in football (S & B), and team up with guys like Darren McFadden and Richard Seymour who are posed to take the AFC West? Hopefully it’s the latter.

44. mdnittlion says: Jul 27, 2011 9:29 PM

I love the picture from the Thanksgiving game just before Williams lost the game by having the ball taken from his hands on National Television. I believe they teach that in Pop Warner ball.