Bucs aren’t, weren’t, chasing Nnamdi

Miami Dolphins v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

Before free agency, some believed that the Buccaneers would pursue cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, given that the Bucs have something like $376 million in cap space.

For the first time today, the Bucs have been linked to the chase, via multiple reports.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Bucs aren’t, and haven’t been, in the hunt for Asomugha.

Bucs G.M. Mark Dominik explained during a July 7 visit to The Dan Patrick Show (a certain Internet hack was guest-hosting) that the team will continue to build through the draft and focus on young players; Asomugha has been in the league eight years.

Though there’s a chance it was all a smokescreen, it’s more likely that the Bucs are being bandied about because they’ve got the cash.  Which in turn could drive up the price.

The primary suitors for Asomugha are the Jets and 49ers.  The Cowboys could be getting involved as well.  As we continue to have a feeling that the Raiders aren’t rolling over.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Bucs aren’t, weren’t, chasing Nnamdi”
  1. ny82jy says: Jul 28, 2011 11:32 PM

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

2. chadinkc30 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:32 PM

He’s staying in Oakland and every fan of these various teams are just getting their hopes up! It’s hilarious how much the media doesn’t actually know

3. itsmammoth says: Jul 28, 2011 11:33 PM

and… I STILL SAY DALLAS…

give me a thumbs down. hater. I love it.

4. madamschefter says: Jul 28, 2011 11:33 PM

There’s a reason Nnamdi hasn’t made up his mind and there’s a reason no reports of teams interested in Zach Miller have surfaced – both will be newly inked in Oakland by the close of business tomorrow.

5. keeponhating says: Jul 28, 2011 11:34 PM

Its about Damn time somebody has included the raiders. I’m not sayin he’s gonna be back but there’s a chance cuz al davis loves himself some secondary. If everybody thought al was just gonna let him walk without at least making an offer they are crazier than al davis himself

6. mrlynch33 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:36 PM

John Clayton just said on twitter they are along with jets 49ers and others

7. drgfri says: Jul 28, 2011 11:37 PM

This is playing out perfectly. Rex loves how he looks in pumps, and Sanchez has an eye on Nnamdi’s 16 year old niece….

8. yankeesjetsknicksrangers says: Jul 28, 2011 11:37 PM

I’m not a Jet fan, but it appears to me that the Jets are outmaneuvering, outsmarting and outclassing their competition.

9. mississippibred says: Jul 28, 2011 11:37 PM

i hear theyve already signed him, and peyton manning. dont forget cromartie.

i wont believe the bucs are involved till i see the presser and him holding a jersey.

10. tbbucs09 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:40 PM

Bucs weren’t after LeNnamdi Pippen? Say it ain’t so!

11. mississippibred says: Jul 28, 2011 11:40 PM

but way to be a buzzkill haha

12. rymag9 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:41 PM

Does anyone really want this guy? Or is he just asking teams to back the dump truck up and drop the cash on him?

13. ronswansonsdinner says: Jul 28, 2011 11:42 PM

Spend the money Dominik! I know its great to build through the draft, but you need some veteran leadership out there.

14. rm10038 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:43 PM

Of course not, why would they do something that might make the secondary better, or the team better. I understand building thru the draft, but if you can add a tested player why not pull the trigger on that deal. Hope that the rookie LB mason learns quick…..hope its not a long season for the bucs.

15. david7590 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:43 PM

16. emil4423 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:47 PM

cmon stay in oakland

17. rebeljpl says: Jul 28, 2011 11:48 PM

Cowboys getting involved eh? I wouldn’t mind that but it’s the first I’ve heard of it recently. With Free locked up as well as Kosier is Jerry bringing out the checkbook for Aso now?

18. againsville says: Jul 28, 2011 11:49 PM

what exactly are the Bucs going to spend their money on???????

19. firstroyal says: Jul 28, 2011 11:50 PM

Ok let me get this straight bucs MUST spend about 59 million dollars and they are talking about building thru the draft?

Ok I am no expert but i think i remember heavy penelities if teams fail to spend the minimum. What are they going to spend their money on? Massive front loaded contracts for their young guys? Most teams just under the cap can count on one or two big free agents, Tampa could sign an entire team with that. Something is weird about this.

20. tdk24 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:51 PM

I want to wake up Friday morning, load this site and read that Nnamdi is staying with the Raiders!

21. sterlingrodgers says: Jul 29, 2011 12:01 AM

Nnamdi would give them an epically good pair of corners, but I’m not sure who in their front seven, other than maybe David Harris, scares many people.

22. sterlingrodgers says: Jul 29, 2011 12:02 AM

them= Jets

23. mikenjess143 says: Jul 29, 2011 12:02 AM

Lets See… The Fastest Paced Week In Football History, And We Got Our 1st Round ,2nd round 3rd round 5th round and 7th round. … … … oh yeah and we broke off a huge chunk of money to a linebacker we already had under Contract. that we paid twice as much for as James Harrison is making. And No his Name Isn’t Ruud.

Address Our Best Offensive Lineman, Or Get Us someone in the middle of the defense Who Wont Get Dragged Down field by Undersized Running Backs.

By My Calculations You Still Have About 45Mill Under The Cap. Sorry Glaziers You Cant Ship It To England Anymore.

24. terrellblowens says: Jul 29, 2011 12:14 AM

The longer this thing drags out the more of a chance I say the Raiders have. I’m not sure he wants to be #1B to Revis and he’d be taking a big time discount to sign there. Maybe he’s waiting for the Raiders to up their offer while the 49ers and Jets compete to get him. Unless the Packers make some very unexpected jump into the sweepstakes, I think Nnamdi stays in the Bay Area. I only wish my Eagles were involved but I guess I can settle for DRC. Especially because we stole him and a 2nd rounder for a mediocre Andy Reid QB

25. mikenjess143 says: Jul 29, 2011 12:19 AM

Bucs Just Signed Joseph And Trueblood..

26. terrellblowens says: Jul 29, 2011 12:28 AM

@yankeesjetsknicksrangers

“I’m not a Jets fan but…”

That statement might have been more convincing if Jets was not a part of your username

27. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Jul 29, 2011 12:35 AM

Because…we’re building through the draft?

28. gosuhgo says: Jul 29, 2011 12:36 AM

“Numerous reports here in NY that the finishing touches are being put on the contract by now and Nnamdi as a Jet is imminent.”

Numerous reports here in Detroit say the Lions are putting the finishing touches on a playoff caliber team and that the super bowl in imminent. Derp.

29. rm10038 says: Jul 29, 2011 12:40 AM

Even the year the bucs went to the super bowl, they plugged in a few key free agents. You can build thru the draft,but sometimes key free agents are needed, and a proven shut down corner is a commodity a team cant pass up on.

30. flybono24 says: Jul 29, 2011 12:44 AM

My guess is he’s coming back to Oakland. Al Davis keeps the players that he loves, and Al definitely doesn’t want to let Nnamdi go.

31. schaeff08 says: Jul 29, 2011 1:26 AM

I like how they say the never were in the running for Nnamdi. As I sit here watching ESPN, John Clayton just stated that the Jets are the front runners, but the Bucs aren’t out of it just yet. Makes you think, could they swoop out of nowhere and snatch him up? Just imagine, Nnamdi, Talib and Ronde as NB, sick

32. raylewis52 says: Jul 29, 2011 1:34 AM

An Unnamed source tells me the Buccs plan to use their cap space to get defensive help for Aquib Talib and his legal troubles.

33. mississippibred says: Jul 29, 2011 2:46 AM

ronde as safety till taanard comes back in full force (they kept threatening it last year but only did it a little) and Grimm isnt 100 percent yet either.