Chiefs, Brian Waters part ways

83544616_crop_650x440 Getty Images

After 11 years together, the Kansas City Chiefs and veteran guard Brian Waters have parted ways.  It was, by all appearances, a mutual agreement.

The team announced the move on its website.

“I’d like to thank the entire Chiefs organization, especially for giving me an opportunity as a young player when other teams wouldn’t,” Waters said.  “I’m grateful for the coaches, teammates and support staff who helped me become the player and man I am today.  I’d also like to thank the fans of Kansas City who cheered us on.  The Chiefs and I have mutually agreed on this decision and although I look forward to continuing my career, I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Kansas City.”

“Brian has played a key role in our progress and I am personally grateful for his contributions to this team,” G.M. Scott Pioli said.  “He and I had a good discussion and mutually agreed that this is a sound football decision for both Brian and the Chiefs.  Brian has been an integral part of this organization and will always be part of the Kansas City Chiefs. We wish him nothing but the best.”

Though it would be easy to suspect that Waters was targeted for his role on the NFLPA Executive Committee, both sides are saying it was mutual.

And so now Waters, who has given no indication of an intention to retire, will hit the market.  He’s a five-time Pro Bowler and a two-time All Pro.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Chiefs, Brian Waters part ways”
  1. yelix says: Jul 28, 2011 9:50 PM

No! Are they going to start Asamoah or Hudson at G now? Suddenly, I feel way less comfortable about the offensive line.

2. justinnelson71 says: Jul 28, 2011 9:52 PM

We’ll take him in SF!

3. andyreidisfat says: Jul 28, 2011 9:52 PM

This to me is shocking. This guy has been one of the best players on this team for ten years. I hope he gets a nice big deal for 2-3 more years. I would like to see him land in Detroit.

4. firerogergoodell says: Jul 28, 2011 9:54 PM

2 time All-Pro, 6 time All-star, and 2009 Recipient of the Walter Payton man of the year award. ANY team would be lucky to have him!

5. chiefsmoke2424 says: Jul 28, 2011 9:54 PM

Waters kept no secrets that he would one day like to return to Dallas and finish his career there (hometown). We’ll see if Jerry gives him a chance to.

Best of luck to a great Chief – he will be inducted into the KC Ring of Honour.

6. moe21135 says: Jul 28, 2011 9:54 PM

come on St.Louis Jump on it!! good stop gap

7. gasolinejt says: Jul 28, 2011 9:55 PM

The Cowboys make some sense. They just cut Leonard Davis and Bryan Waters is from the Dallas area. Make it happen Jerry.

8. madamschefter says: Jul 28, 2011 9:55 PM

He’ll be on a plane to Oakland this time tomorrow.

9. paulieorkid says: Jul 28, 2011 9:57 PM

Mr. Brian Waters, sir, we would absolutely LOVE you in The Steel City — you would look awesome in the Black and Gold!!!

Just love how that guy plays football!

10. richatthelake says: Jul 28, 2011 9:57 PM

Sad to see a 5-time pro bowl player & NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year Award winner depart. But Chiefs fans saw this coming at the end of last year as rookie Jon Asamoah got more & more playing time.

Brian Waters was always a class act & he will be missed, but it was the right decision at this time.

11. laurinaitis4mvp55 says: Jul 28, 2011 9:58 PM

Very classy guy, nothing but respect for him. Hoping he helps the teams he signs with in a big way

12. sterlingrodgers says: Jul 28, 2011 10:00 PM

The Packers have an opening at the left guard position. It will be interesting to see if TT actually attempts to sign a quality vet, or if he thinks TJ or Newhouse is up to the challenge.

13. riverhorsey says: Jul 28, 2011 10:05 PM

waters was a good guy but there’s never ending competition and money considerations in the NFL.

Waters was a great Chief.

14. reddcowboys says: Jul 28, 2011 10:06 PM

Huge loss for KC! Bigger gain for Dallas!

15. raidernation99 says: Jul 28, 2011 10:07 PM

i’d take him in oakland along with dwayne bowe please. you guys owe us one for marcus allen

16. quizguy66 says: Jul 28, 2011 10:10 PM

My Bengals could use a guard.

-QG

17. jebdamone says: Jul 28, 2011 10:15 PM

love the vikes adding him for depth or the starting RG spot. seems like an odd parting for a guy that decorated in the organization but perhaps they are trying to allow him to get a better contract to finish his career somewhere else before he is just bench fodder. that may soon end up being what he becomes with them this year with asamoah ready to take his snaps.

18. emersonbigguns says: Jul 28, 2011 10:16 PM

Brian has been a great player for the Chiefs. All the fans will miss him. His production has began to wane in the last couple of years, and sadly everyone must find their time to move on to the next stage of their life. I wish nothing for the best for him. I will cheer him when he is added to the Arrowhead ring of honor!

19. randomjim says: Jul 28, 2011 10:18 PM

It’s good to see class individuals in the NFL, Having good things to say about an organization that just let you go. Jimmy Kennedy did the same for the Vikings.

20. chiefsfan4life says: Jul 28, 2011 10:19 PM

dream on raider troll brian waters would never play for a loser that is the jokeland raiders

my guess he ends up in dallas go chiefs!

21. jkffootballguy says: Jul 28, 2011 10:39 PM

As an avid Vikings fan, I’d like to see them take a look at Brian Waters. He’d give them some depth at both guard positions. Both Steve Hutchinson and Anthony Herrera were hurt most of last season.

22. steelforce43 says: Jul 28, 2011 10:39 PM

Just one more reason to stay away from any Chiefs fantasy players. No Charlie Weis and Haley is a fool and now this.

23. michaelamericano says: Jul 28, 2011 10:42 PM

Great player. Great man. Much respected in Kansas City. We will miss you.

24. bifftannen2 says: Jul 28, 2011 10:58 PM

It’s sad to see him go as a Chief fan, but we all pretty much saw this coming. He was getting beat by quicker DL, and overpowered by bigger ones…it needed to happen.

Asamoah is ready to start, Hudson hopefully will be ready at Center, and Lilja is already settled in at the other Guard position.

The problem is that we already needed to spend a lot of money this offseason, and now we’re getting rid of it?! We better start making some signings soon!

25. chadinkc30 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:06 PM

Good for Waters! He needs to go somewhere where he can when a playoff game, because we all know kc hasn’t won one in 18 years! Pathetic

26. crise40g says: Jul 28, 2011 11:11 PM

Come to Oakland to stick it to the Quiefs 2x a season!! And look good doing it in Silver and Black.

Win, lose, or tie…Raiders ’til I die!

27. mrclearview says: Jul 28, 2011 11:34 PM

Thank you Brian for all of your hard work and dedication in KC. I enjoyed very much watching you play, and the community appreciates all of the charity work you have provided throughout the years. I wish you all the best, and when you are ready to retire, come back and retire a Chief.

28. xstaticonradio says: Jul 28, 2011 11:49 PM

He’d be a great pickup for the Bills who could use someone to mentor their young guys on the line.

29. valman61 says: Jul 28, 2011 11:59 PM

If he’s healthy, still productive, and looking for a short term deal he could end up with the giants. They just cut 3 vets who were injury plagued. A class guy to a class team who needs a vet and has a chance to compete for a Lombardi, it’s a real possibility. Just my opinion.

30. moe21135 says: Jul 29, 2011 1:22 AM

he should go to st.louis

31. joeshunt2121 says: Jul 29, 2011 7:11 AM

Hey, you Chief fans always seem honest & one of the least hatful fans bases around the leauge.. Can I ask any of you guys a question? coming from a Cowboys fan who is interested in Waters, can Waters play the Right Guard Postion just as good as he played the Left Guard Position?? We have a opening at the RG position.. I know he’s getting old but he still seems to have something left in the tank..

32. mthomashoover says: Jul 29, 2011 8:51 AM

@joeshunt2121

Waters played LG almost his entire career with the Chiefs, but he did fill in at LT & C briefly due to injuries and played very well. He could probably make the transition to RG if asked, but I’d have to think his preference is to stay at LG.

Still, he’s a Dallas boy, and rumor was he wanted to finish his career there, so perhaps he’ll do it – and maybe with a hometown discount!

33. agentarrowhead says: Jul 29, 2011 11:37 AM

I know we have replacements on the roster but it is still disappointing to lose Waters. He was/is one of the greats and it would have been nice to have him play out his career in KC. He was the last remaining (continually) part of those Priest lines that were so amazing. Is kind of hard to swallow and I just can’t imagine we couldn’t have gotten something for him in a trade. Oh well, best of luck to you Brian. Wish you could have stayed around to be part of the run the Chiefs are about to start!