Jason Garrett wants Cowboys to stop talking, start working

Jason Garrett AP

After an offseason in which there was a lot of talk about the Cowboys, and a lockout that prevented them from doing much work, coach Jason Garrett says he needs to change that. Now.

“We’re excited about the team we have and the direction we’re going in,” Garrett said. “The biggest thing is we need to stop talking and get to work.”

The work is necessary because, in 2010, in the words of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, “We stunk it up, and there’s no question about in my mind about that.”

The player who may have the most work ahead of him is Dez Bryant, whom Garrett specifically mentioned as a player he think is ready for a bigger year.

“He did so many really good things at a young age, without a lot of work,” Garrett said of Bryant. “He’s a guy we believe will continue to grow and grow as a player. There’s no reason to think that he can’t get better.”

Bryant and the rest of the Cowboys start working today with the first training camp practice at the Alamodome.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
27 Responses to “Jason Garrett wants Cowboys to stop talking, start working”
  1. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jul 28, 2011 8:33 AM

uh coach, i can’t make it in today, i’ve got a golf tournament…

2. joeinoh says: Jul 28, 2011 8:43 AM

Sorry Coach, our new CBA says we don’t have to work.

3. mrclearview says: Jul 28, 2011 8:44 AM

Do the Cowboys ever stop talking? Good luck with that one Garrett.

4. kingjoe1 says: Jul 28, 2011 8:45 AM

I don’t know Jason Garrett but I really can’t stand him. I hope they again fail miserably and end up 4-12 or some ridiculously embarassing record.

He comes across as though he is this hardass who has earned the right to expect players to run through walls for him. Frankly I haven’t seen anything out of him that shows me he will lead players to success.

5. scudbot says: Jul 28, 2011 8:55 AM

Garrett must have gotten a txt message from Jerruh.

6. sj39 says: Jul 28, 2011 8:58 AM

That would be a refreshing change of pace.

7. romosexual says: Jul 28, 2011 9:10 AM

kingjoe1,
    What are you referrin too? The fact that he was 6-2 lst year with back up QB or the fact that h played in the league? Not sure what he needs to do but I know he has more credibility than a guy like Mike Smith and he seems to be working out ok for atlanta. Youre a hater that wishes he was a Dallas fan….

8. thewizardsrevenge says: Jul 28, 2011 9:14 AM

They’ve proven to be better at talking for a decade or so.

Also soon time for the annual media lovefest declaring them Super Bowl contenders.

9. amaf21 says: Jul 28, 2011 9:21 AM

“Jason Garrett wants Cowboys to stop talking, start losing”

10. wtfru2 says: Jul 28, 2011 9:21 AM

Didn’t the CBA cover my day off????

11. bobbyhoying says: Jul 28, 2011 9:28 AM

Every sports writer and TV personality, including Oprah Winfrey, know the Boys are the Super Bowl favorites. How could they be anything but? Just look at their intensity, focus on the field and pure talent level. And how can you discount the genius of the GM in acquiring wide receivers? The man constantly picks the pocket of other GM’s with brilliant trades.

12. millsjf says: Jul 28, 2011 9:28 AM

Cowboys all the way. You bunch of girls stop hating.

13. scudbot says: Jul 28, 2011 9:32 AM

Cowboys Show Up for Work, Four Malls Declare Bankruptcy.

14. jw731 says: Jul 28, 2011 9:43 AM

What Garret really said was……My name is Matt Foley and I’m a motivational speaker…

15. dallasbaby says: Jul 28, 2011 9:45 AM

kingjoe1 says:
    Jul 28, 2011 8:45 AM

****

How on earth does Garrett come across like a hardass?

I’m no Miss Cleo but I’m betting you’re a Skins fan…

16. dalfanforever says: Jul 28, 2011 10:16 AM

Well, it’s different than Wade already that’s for sure. I don’t we’ll be seeing any Camp Cupcake this year.

17. milesrunner262 says: Jul 28, 2011 10:18 AM

I like what I’m hearing and seeing from Jason Garrett so far. I was skeptical when he got the job but the more I see the more I like. He learned from the best coach the Cowboys have had under Jerry and he knows the work it takes to be a Super Bowl winning team. Let’s hope the end of last year wasn’t a fluke.

As far a talking goes…they better be talking to some safeties and D-ends!!!

18. kidzaround says: Jul 28, 2011 10:36 AM

kingjoe1 says:
    Jul 28, 2011 8:45 AM

****

How on earth does Garrett come across like a hardass?

I’m no Miss Cleo but I’m betting you’re a Skins fan…

****

I happen to think that hiring Garret is one of the best decisions Jerry Jones has made. The other good ones have been Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells.

Jason Garrent is a great hire. Jason Garret turned a terrible squad around last year, was a QB for the Cowboys when they were winning, and he went to Princeton. You have to be intelligent and know the game to be a good coach.

And for those of you who say “Well, he was only a backup.” May I remind you of the Thanksgiving game he started and won a shoot out against Brett Favre? He was smart enough to get the ball to the right players, then.

19. bigbadjohneaglesnm says: Jul 28, 2011 10:55 AM

Romo sexual he was 5-3 not 6-2 n hr had wins against Detroit n washinton , and eagles 3 string playing after they clinched 1st place in the division so really yer gonna brag about Garrett? Cowboys will play hard and strong for Garrett until they look at the standings and see they are 2-5 and no chance at catching the E-A-G-L-E-S then they will quit on him like they did Phillips, plus I think u forgot they did get those worthless wins under a hungry JOHN KITNA not pre-madona romo

20. kidzaround says: Jul 28, 2011 11:26 AM

Bragging on the Eagles? For such a great coach Andy Reid is supposed to be, how many SuperBowl titles has he brought to the city of Philadelphia? Has Jeff Lurie brought you guys a title? If you’re looking at actual results, the Eagles have not had any more sucess than Dallas or the Redskins. The only team in the division that has actually done something in the past decade is the Giants. And how many people were ready to run Coughlin out of town because he was too tough? People say Eli’s a bad leader, well, he won the SuperBowl. He’s got just as many titles as his well-celebrated brother. While, the heralded great QB McNabb never got PA a title (as great as everyone said he was). Eagles fans, until you win a Superbowl, you guys have no reason to talk.

21. philgrek says: Jul 28, 2011 12:34 PM

@kingjoe1
    you can’t stand the fact that the guy holds discipline and hard-work as a top priority? you can’t stand that as a head coach he expects his players to give him everything they have? i suppose you’d prefer him to be very lenient, soft, and a pushover. didn’t the cowboys just go through a coach like that? I love your logic. A new head coach hasn’t shown you he has what it takes to win (imagine that, being a new head coach and all) so you can’t stand him. Theres so much Cowboy animosity wafting off you its ridiculous.

“I don’t know ______ but I really can’t stand him”
    Words of a champion

22. bigbadjohneaglesnm says: Jul 28, 2011 2:40 PM

Yeah eagles don’t have a title YET, but I bet the cowboys, redskins, n giants fans would trade their situation for the eagles situation in a heart beat!!! We go into every season KNOWING we got a chance, a realistic chance! We may not win it but I’d rather know in January that we aren’t gonna than know it in september

23. kidzaround says: Jul 28, 2011 3:26 PM

YET is a big word. I guess you like competing for #2. However, your father probably remembers when the Eagles won their last championship: 1960.

Facts speak for themselves.

Here’s a look at the records (including post season) and the championships won:

Philadelphia Eagles 529-557-26 3 NFL Championships 49%

Washington Redskins 569-532-27 2 NFL Championships and three Superbowl Championships 52%

New York Gians 656-548-33 4 NFL Championships and three Superbowl Championships 54%

Dallas Cowboys 473-346-6 and Five Superbowl Championsships 58%

24. kidzaround says: Jul 28, 2011 3:34 PM

As far as Superbowl titles go, here’s a list from memory of teams that have passed you (0) in Superbowl wins in the past decade:

New Orleans Saints
    Indianapolis Colts
    New England Patrios
    Tampa Bay Bucaneers
    Baltimore Ravens

Even the Bucs have more Lombardi trophies than you!

25. traevin says: Jul 28, 2011 3:57 PM

Now that he’s in full control, here’s hoping the Cowboys finally return to early 90’s form but remember, his playcalling as an OC was beyond questionable at times. Far too many times for my liking. I think some of you are choosing to gloss over that because, well, we’re fans and we want the best for our team. But I want to see some real fine game time decisions sprouting from the purportedly RHG’s head before I’m able to anoint him. That’s all I ask, then I’m on board, which is where I hope to get really soon!

26. dallasdux says: Jul 28, 2011 4:01 PM

>>>KingJoe1
    “(Jason Garrett) comes across as though he is this hardass who has earned the right to expect players to run through walls for him. Frankly I haven’t seen anything out of him that shows me he will lead players to success.”

Well….apparently KingJoe1 was sleeping through weeks 9-17 or has no clue what he’s talking about regarding Garrett’s qualifications/abilities as a coach. Garrett took over the team in Week 9. He went 5-3 after Wade Wilson’s dismal 1-7 start. Garrett was 3-1 against division Rivals., beating all 3 opponents (Philly/NYG/Wash) and losing to Philly only by 3 pts, 30-27)

SO….YES, I’d say Garrett has EARNED just a bit of respect after turning things around.

27. jcg23 says: Jul 28, 2011 6:16 PM

I love this man. He cut 3 guys today that showed up out of shape. He is walking the freaking walk!!!