Eagles technically jumped the gun on Vince Young

AP

We’ve heard from the league office regarding the confusing question of whether the Eagles were permitted to negotiate an agreement in principle with quarterback Vince Young, with an eye toward getting the deal signed after 6:00 p.m. ET Friday.

Said NFL spokesman Michael Signora, “Until a player appears on the transaction report, then any transaction is not official, including if the move has been discussed publicly, etc.  So if a player is still a member of a club’s active roster — as Young is in this case — no other team can talk to him until he appears on that transaction report.”

It’s not an issue of clearing waivers, as it was initially characterized by Adam Schefter of ESPN.  Young has five years of service, making him not subject to waivers, until after the trade deadline.  (The fact that the 2011 League Year hasn’t begun doesn’t matter; after the Super Bowl, vested veterans re-acquire the ability to become free agents immediately upon being released.)

Still, the Eagles technically should not have contacted Young until he appeared on the daily transaction report issued by the league office.  Since Young was cut after 4:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, he won’t appear on the report until Friday.

And so, in theory, the Titans could pursue tampering charges.  But why would the Titans care?  They’ve made it known they’re moving on.  Given that they’ve got a new coach and new quarterbacks and new assistants and not much time to get ready for the season, whether the Eagles talked 20 hours too early to a guy they no longer want should be the least of their concerns.

52 responses to “Eagles technically jumped the gun on Vince Young

1. That’s like me pursuing charges vs someone going through my trash when I’ve put it outside on the edge of my lawn, but before the garbage man has picked it up. I could persue trespass for someone even intentionally reaching onto my property and touchin my banana peels and old takeout boxes, but I won’t.

2. If the Titans pursue tampering its like a cop giving you a ticket for driving 56mph in a 55.

3. Tamper is a funny word.

It’s one of the words where if you just say it over and over again it kind of stops sounding like a word and more like two disconnected nonsensical syllables.

Funny.

As to the actual story, no big deal. I don’t see anyone getting poopcanned.

4. I think the Titans would have let him play for another team last season while on the Titans, so I don’t think this is an issue.

5. “And so, in theory, the Titans could pursue tampering charges. ”

Why bother? Having Young on our (Eagles)roster is punishment enough.

6. snowpea84 says:
    Jul 29, 2011 9:57 AM
    Whatever. The Eagles clearly have no idea what they are doing? Who is running this team these days?
    ==================

Yes, clearly the Eagles have no idea what they are doing.

7. BUT, what if another team WAITED until the proper time to talk to Young. Were they on an even playing field.

You are missing that issue.

The league should take that issue up.

8. Awesome that Philly has two starting QBs and Washington has zero.

And this is coming from an AFC guy.

9. The Titans must have been thinking “Go ahead, tamper away and take him off our hands… please!”

10. I say they might as well file the complaint and give the league a chance at a make-up call for not ruling the Redskins tampered with Haynesworth!

Kidding. Sort of. The tampering enforcement is a joke and always has been. Every team does it, just like everyone drives over the posted speed limit on the highway. You’ve really got to do something flagrant to get written up for it.

Having the Young drama behind the Titans and watching Haynesworth become the Redskins’ $100M nightmare that they had to dump for a 5th rounder is its own reward.

11. Ask the Lions and Jarrod Page about how strict tampering rules are.

The league HAS to come down on the Eagles, the precedent is already set. A 5th or 6th round pick should be forfeit, if favorites aren’t played.

12. If Young wanted to go somewhere else he could have waited, but he wanted to go to Philly. No one forced VY to make the decision, so no one should care that they spoke to him early.

13. I love it when people seem to think these teams follow every rule they make up like they some sort of eagle scout nun hybrid. Teams do whatever they can, it’s a rule isn’t a rule until you get caught breaking it league.

14. well Michael Vick 2.0 worked out pretty great in Philly, how will they transform Vince Young into VY 2.0, give them a year, Andy Reid’s staff will have him looking like a classic drop-back passer with legs that can kill, now if only Tony Dungy can mentor Vince Young and have him be a spokesman for how to handle pressure situations better especially when things dont go your way before, during or after a game (i.e. throwing your shoulder pads into stands after games and having your coach call the cops to look for you after having suicidal thoughts all at the expense of getting benched in a game)

15. Look for another NFC East team to say they were deprived of the chance to go after VY just to get draft pics taken away.

Philly should lose something for being so stupid.

16. Tenn Titans transactions

The Tennessee Titans released Vince Young on Thursday, with the new labor deal, the Titans had to move quickly to avoid paying Young a $4.25 million roster bonus that had previously been due on the 10th day of a new league year.

Go “the all new” NFL Rules !

like the tax-code .. nobody fully understands it

17. The fact that by breaking a rule they know full well they won’t get in trouble for, they got a 24 hour jump on the best remaining available QB- who may turn out better than most of the others- shows they are clearly clueless.

————————————————————–

Well… yeah, it does. C’mon, if you have to break rules to get things done it’s because you can’t get things done within the rules. Your rationale is that it’s a rule that they don’t think they’ll get in trouble for breaking? Really? Most criminals don’t commit crimes thinking that they’ll get busted, do they?

18. @ massappeal12345 says: Jul 29, 2011 10:06 AM

You are missing that issue.

The league should take that issue up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If that were the case, it really doesn’t matter if Young is a free agent at that point. He would sign with who he wants, if he wanted to be an Eagle and didn’t want to go to any other team, it’s irrelevant.

19. well Michael Vick 2.0 worked out pretty great in Philly

————————————————————–

Sure, if getting bounced in the wild card round mainly because Vick forced a throw to a guy that was covered on first down at the GB 27 is “pretty great”…

20. @ ididntsaythat says: Jul 29, 2011 10:25 AM

I am not surprised! The Eagles have cheated before, and will cheat again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really??? example being???

21. eaglesnoles05 says:
    Jul 29, 2011 9:56 AM
    —————————————–
    actually garbage is public property.

22. I have watched every game VY has played in as a pro, half of them in person. I’ve met him a couple of times (he’s actually about as fan friendly as an NFL’er can be). I’ve personally witnessed at least three of his meltdowns (I sit a few rows up behind the Titans bench). So in my humble opinion, here are my thoughts on those thinking Andy Reid will create a VY 2.0 as he did a Vick 2.0:

1. VY is going into his sixth season – he’s not rookie.

2. “Can’t nobody tell me nothing.” VY on “60 Minutes.”

3. All reports are that it will be a one year deal. VY will get paid a couple of million to stand (sit) on the sidelines and that’s all Philly fans should expect from him effort wise.

4. VY, after QB’ing the Titans for five years, still did not know the Titans playbook. Local reports were that as of last season, they were still having to dumb down the plays. He will not learn Philly’s playbook in one year. Book it.

No one was bigger fan of the VY signing than I was coming off of one of the greatest BCS performances I have ever witnessed. And no one is happier he’s moved on.

23. melonnhead says:

=========================

Listen, melon, I realize you are a Cowboys fan (I am not an Eagles fan, BTW) so it’s obvious where you would come down on this.

And there is a difference between a common criminalnot thinking they will get busted and the Eagles being 100% certain they won’t.

Lastly, comparing the Eagles contacting a free agent who has already said he wants to go there a little early to common criminals is a sure sign that someone needs a perspective check.

24. Once you’re released you can probably discuss anything you want with any team you want. And his agent probably told Philly he wants to come there, and told them how much that might cost. As long as the Eagles didn’t sign anything before 4 PM today, I’m sure they’re fine. And that rule works both ways.. the Redskins , for instance , could call his agent this morning and say, ‘you know we could offer your client twice as much as Philly did’, and Young could change his mind, and the Eagles couldn’t do anything about it.

25. I really have 0 idea why the Eagles had any interest in VY. Maybe if they had a classic pocket passer and wanted to use him as some sort of gimmick. As others stated, he is too stupid to learn a playbook, too arrogant to care. Basically just a waste of cap space.

26. Correct me if I’m mistaken, but didn’t the Titans grant VY permission to seek a trade and/or talk to other teams several months ago?

27. But seriously, to think the Eagles “can’t get things done within the rules” is kind of a hard position to defend based upon the last 10 or so years, isn’t it?

—————————————————————

As to the first paragraph, I’m not really that impressed with what the Eagles have done in the past 10 seasons. And before you even mention it, I’m not impressed by the Cowboys over the same span either.

As to the second paragraph, if they’re 100% sure they wouldn’t get busted for it then I’d call it arrogance or ignorance. Not really all that different from some criminal that’s 100% sure that he won’t get busted. That’s why they say “don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time”. The Eagles may not get busted for this, but I’ve seen teams get busted under less shady circumstances (49ers/Lance Briggs).

28. Oh yean, and…

———————————————————

It was the closest analogy I could think of. Being sure that you won’t get busted, no matter how true or misguided that opinion may be, is not a valid rationale for breaking the rules (or laws).

29. ididntsaythat says:
    Jul 29, 2011 10:25 AM
    I am not surprised! The Eagles have cheated before, and will cheat again!

—————————————————-

Um what? Care to explain that one buddy, or are you just talking out of your ass?

30. The problem isn’t what the Titan’s think about it, it’s about the fact that one team is not following the rules & the others are. This should be a leauge office issue. I find it commical that “Owner buddy” Goodell is all about player fines & suspensions but does nothing when a team breaks rules.

31. Neither the Eagles nor Young have announced that he has agreed to terms. Media reports aren’t a basis to pursue tampering charges. There is no proof that the Eagles actually talked to Young before his name appeared on the transactions report.

32. Whatever, who cares? As a Skins fan the Eagles piss me off. Andy will bring in Young and Young will probably play in three or four games. Reid will greatly increase the value of Young and turn around and pilfer another team just like he did with McNabb and Kolb. I just pray it’s not us AGAIN. Gotta tip your hat to the Eagles. They are a well run organization.

33. i’ll laugh my a$% off if the Eagles win the Super Bowl…without a doubt they’ll be one of the most hated winners in history – other than the Ravens.

34. alphaq2 says:
    Jul 29, 2011 12:03 PM

_______________________________

Define “well run”.

Regular season wins? Congrats!

CHOKE ARTISTS OF THE CENTURY!

35. What about some other team (and I don’t know if there is one) that wanted to talk with Young and didn’t because they were following the rules?

Seems to me that the Eagles have achieved an undeserved advantage by jumping the gun and talking to him early.

They should endure some penalty for that behavior, otherwise other teams will start to emulate it.

36. Nohopeleft,

Lol, your name pretty much explains how Skins fans have felt the last decade. You’re right, the Eagles haven’t won a superbowl, but I’m just saying they have been good for a long time now.

37. I wouldn’t call it cheating, just bending the rules.

Either you ARE allowed to negotiate or you ARE NOT allowed to contact and negotiate. “So if a player is still a member of a club’s active roster — as Young is in this case — NO OTHER TEAM can talk to him UNTIL he appears on that transaction report.”

Humm..agreed to 1-year deal…sound legit?

The eagles are just premature, kind of like Andy Reid’s managemenet of challenges and time outs…or when the eagles posted their schedule on their website a couple of years ago an hour before the league allowed it…or like the recent posting on their website of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie’s jersey for sale…before the trade was finalized.

Give them a break, they’ve never won a Superbowl…that must suck.

38. realitypolice says:
    Jul 29, 2011 10:05 AM
    snowpea84 says:
    Jul 29, 2011 9:57 AM
    ==================

Yes, clearly the Eagles have no idea what they are doing.

_____________

I think he is referring to the fact that they are rolling with Vick, who the vikes showed us all how to beat (blueprint: blitz from the outside – keep him in the pocket; thanks for that Leslie!) and Young, who is terrible (and a little bit crazy).

39. Looks like the NFL needs to move into the Internet era. There is absolutely NO reason to wait for an official report once every 24 hours. Are they going to print the report on green-line paper using a dot matrix printer and use pony express to send to all 32 teams?